The Castle Reviews

• Aug 01, 2019

A must see before travelling to Australia.

A must see before travelling to Australia.

• Brendan N Super Reviewer
    Apr 04, 2019

The Castle is one of those great indie Australian films that don't attempt to reinvent the wheel. The camera movements are basic and the key focus is the humour and characters. Michael Caton is the key here and he embellishes each scene with his presence. The humour is very Australian and others will struggle with the dry wit. This is one of the better comedies that we have produced in the last twenty years and it's the filmmaker and writers who accomplish this. Great film and one of the best Australian comedies out there. 04/04/2019

• Oct 11, 2018

The ultimate feel good movie, an genuine Aussie classic. The flaws and shortcomings of the main characters just add to its appeal and now with vintage haircuts as a bonus!

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Jul 24, 2017

Played less for laughs than for smiles, an imperfect family housed in an imperfect place (the end of the Melbourne Airport's runway!) finds itself pitted against a goliath when the airport needs to expand. Can the little guys win against the system? An amusing tale because the imperfections are lovingly embraced rather than judged. One from Down Under, mate! Oy!

• Jun 24, 2017

A classic Australian film.

A classic Australian film.

• Jun 01, 2017

The Castle is a hilarious tale of an Australian family that is one of a kind. The whole family is filled with extremely dumb (or maybe just ignorant) people. But at the same time they are also wholeheartedly devoted to one another. It's interesting because the movie seems to allow for us to laugh at some of the silly things they do or say, but the movie never treats them as a joke. They are elevated as loving, kind, and accepting. The beginning of the film has a long sequence where we are introduced to what life is like for this crazy family, and it delivers a lot of laughs. It's the kind of humor I miss in most modern movies, because it doesn't feel like their fighting for the laugh, they just let the situation and the characters they've developed provide the humor. As the movie progresses there is a dilemma that comes up and we get to see this family in a crisis. It's about the time it transitioned into the crisis that I realized the effectiveness of The Castle. Because of how lovingly the characters have been treated up to that point, despite how silly they are, I cared about them. I was cheering for them to succeed and the movie almost made me get emotional once. I wouldn't say the movie is perfect, but it delivered a lot of humor and heart. It's one I can see myself recommending and rating higher when I've watched it more.

• Dec 10, 2016

One of, if not the funniest movies ever. an entertaining, heartfelt movie full of hilarious characters, hilarious jokes and hilarious scenes.

• Oct 04, 2016

Absolute favourite. Suspect a North Amercan audience might be missing the essence of the Aussie gags.

• Sep 11, 2016

This is Australian way of comedy . All I remember "boonie doon " & it's serenity !!

• Jul 26, 2015

Although the movie's pace is dreadfully slow and the acting is sometimes pretty awful, the unique Aussie charm and awkwardness adds a certain cinematic spice to this late 90's comedy.