The Conjuring - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Conjuring Reviews

May 16, 2018
Entertaining,not scary.Rich with atmosphere. If you've seen any other haunted house movie you know what to expect.Still one of the better haunted house movies.
May 6, 2018
first 10 mins is awful, then its pretty alright for a while, then it gets kinda goofy
April 28, 2018
This movie managed to create a successful, if not a bit a cliche, horror-movie ambiance. There were several jumpscares, but the scariest part was the whole atmosphere of the film. Well made, but the story itself felt generic, and the explanation unrealistic.
½ April 27, 2018
The Conjuring is an amazing film. It is about paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren who work to help a family terrorized by a dark presence in their farmhouse. Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga give incredible performances. The script is well written. James Wan did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the horror and mystery.
½ April 15, 2018
Pretty bad movie ripe with scientific and plot related inaccuracies, very bad actual usage of horror. Only using jump scares. It ALSO dramatacized the movie to an exponential degree, about it being based on a true story. Fake birds, like, hey didn't even try with the CGI. The ending was wholesome, but they ruined it with he whole tie infer the next movie.
½ April 1, 2018
The Conjuring is a frigtening, visually appealing horror movie, that adds up eerie scares in an understandable plot with enough dread and interest to keep you hooked.
½ March 23, 2018
Solid film that stayed focused throughout with the exception of the parts with the Anabelle doll- which were unexplained and felt forced just to show that Annabelle exists in this same film series. Otherwise this movie is phenomenal. Great acting, which is rare these days in these types of films, terrific directing by James Wan. Enough creepy yet subtle moments to keep the suspense but not enough to water it down by the end.
½ March 20, 2018
Great horror movie! Hats off to the director James Wan and Casting crew. The movie is very re-watchable over and over.
March 19, 2018
A really well done horror movie based on actual events.
½ March 11, 2018
it is a stupid movie. They did not move out after the dog mysteriously died? Really? They had to call paranormal investigators to realize their house is haunted? Just move out!
March 8, 2018
Well acted and creepier than most, it still follows tropes we saw too often in horrors
February 12, 2018
An extremely well made horror that shows us that smart scares payoff.

Before there was Amityville, there was Harrisville. "The Conjuring" tells the true story of Ed and Lorraine Warren (Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga), world renowned paranormal investigators, who were called to help a family terrorized by a dark presence in a secluded farmhouse. Forced to confront a powerful demonic entity, the Warrens find themselves caught in the most horrifying case of their lives.

I've watched this film how many times, more times than I can count on my hand. Why haven't I reviewed it yet? I don't know, I really don't know. That's a surprise to me because this is probably one of the best structured and delicately crafted horror films I've ever seen. Everything about it feels so complete and it's certainly a great representation of what James Wan can do.

"The Conjuring" is based on the true story, but take that for what you want. The characters in here, who are also based off of real people, are really well constructed. I feel like even though there's not a lot of direct insight into who each of them are, you can still understand who everyone is based on their actions. It's easy to relate to all of them in this situation just through the fear they relate, and the talent behind them all are exceptional.

The reason I love this film is because it's just scary. It's rated R because it's scary, not because of sex, gore, violence, or language. Yeah, it can be seen as a gimmick but I genuinely appreciate an R rated horror because it's just scary. There are no dumb scares in here and when I say that, it means they all had meaning. Jump scares are a misinterpreted piece of art, as they can be really effective. However, they're not effective and they're cheap when they're fake jump scares. This film delivers real scares and builds suspense really well without ever being cheap. That's something you can really appreciate whether you actually like this film or not.

I also love the fact that this story is compelling. It's interesting and it had me emotionally invested the entire time. I was genuinely hooked on this story and I was invested throughout the journey. I was supporting the characters because I related to them and I cared about them. I never felt robbed of anything and it never felt like the creators were copping out. This is one of the best technically made horror films that I've ever seen and it shows that horror can be great if you really try.

In the end, as a film student, this is the kind of horror film I'd strive to make one day. I love this film so much and it's even a part of my giant tattoo. It's one of the best horror films out there and James Wan is certainly one of my favorite directors.
February 10, 2018
A brilliant horror movie, nice story, excellent acting. Moreover, even if some jump scares did exist they weren't overdone
January 27, 2018
This is the last movie I can recall, that actually made me scared to get up and go the bathroom; with the lights off of course. I'm a grown male by the way.
January 15, 2018
The Conjuring deliverers a classic exorcism horror with outstanding performance from Farmiga and Wilson. The movie might be forgotten decades to come, yet it is still excitingly thrilling to take part of the viewing
January 15, 2018
Amazing...Not fresh but scary and that is what we are looking for here!
½ January 14, 2018
This movie certainly has a good creepy vibe to it, although it is a bit long winded at times. I feel like the same story could have been more effective if it was trimmed down a bit. Still, it is decent enough.
January 12, 2018
At times scary, at times rediculous.
January 4, 2018