The Conjuring - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Conjuring Reviews

½ July 25, 2017
The Conjuring is just terrifying. The movie made me jump, scream, and it really made me nervous with the suspense. This movie really balances the storytelling part and the scary part. This movie is practically scary and suspenseful from start to finish. The cast is great in this movie. They all did a good job and portrayed their characters well. This movie really makes the true story it's based on even more horrifying. I don't think this is the best horror movie of all time but it's definitely better than some recent ones. A
½ July 17, 2017
Starts slowly, but minute by minute it builds quite a memorable ending.
sir earl
July 16, 2017
I had heard so much about based on true story film, " the Conjuring " from word of mouth that I finally decided to check it out. And I had to admit that I enjoyed myself and thought it was well worth seeing. Everyone may have their own view as to what is considered really " scary" to themselves. But I have to at least say that I found the Conjuring definitely to be " creepy" enough to enjoy.

With the Conjuring - which I tip my hat to the director James Wan and writers - because not only did I think this film had some creepy and jittery "jump-scare" moments in the film, but I also liked the way the dark areas of the house, the rooms, the corners, basement, stairs dark areas were displayed , they made it look eerie and macabre ( that's been an missing element in horror films for decades, IMO)
Much like the room the possessed girl Regan was tied up in the Exorcist. Speaking of which, in terms of it being a demon-possession flick, it ( nor any other "entity" movie will ever be in that class) Slowly creaking opening doors,.. bouncing objects, ..strange vibrations,.. shadows in the corner, ..dark- creepy hallways, ..powerful stench odors, ..unexplained physical yanking and bruises, ..dead animals, etc. And I thought the whole haunting demonic origin was well told.

The way the film started out did remind me very much of the Amityville Horror, but unlike that film and it's ghostly encounters, it was well explained in this film why the terrified family group could not just pack up and leave. I liked that the Conjuring more centered on atmosphere than with a lot of excess blood and gore and superficial CGI effects.

There was only a couple of instants where director James Wan let that slip, primarily at the end. I also liked that it had a very brief documentary-like atmosphere where you felt part of the investigating ghost-crew with the rolling camera. The creepy sounding and wide screen camera angles were terrific and the cast and characters were well scripted and portrayed admirably.
Particularly Lily Taylor and Vera Farmiga.

I didn't really get into the " Annabelle " doll, which was supposed to be one of the " gateway" tools to which demon spirits emerged into the lives of the living humans, I thought that the ending which one gets possessed to murder,- could have been a lot more intense and dramatic. While the credits rolled at the end, you get to see the pictures of the real couple who the film was based that actually investigates Occult like haunting back In the 60's and 70's.

Overall I thought this film was a solid film that gives some spooky chills and thrills in periods of the movie, and although I was initially concerned that this would be one of those films where the trailer itself ends up being much better, exciting that the actual movie itself- I can say that's not the case here, and I was very much put at ease on that note after I finished watching the film. This should easily be one of the scariest movies of the year.

Too add I think it's an greater advantage and enjoyable thrill to see this at the movie theaters with the much greater sights and surrounding sounds vs at home on DVD or streaming.
On a Scale of 1 to 10, I'd give The Conjuring a 8.0
July 8, 2017
Wan continues to prove himself in helming a macabre and unique horror film which perfectly builds tension and holds the breath every time.
July 5, 2017
A Bone-Chilling movie that'll give you devilish nightmares for years to come.
½ July 3, 2017
Extremely enjoyed. I'm new to horror movies but was not disappointed.
July 2, 2017
This by far the scariest movie I have seen. However, if you don't believe in ghosts or demons, then it will not scare you as much as it did me. Still, it was an excellent piece of horror, with good directing, acting, and setting.
July 1, 2017
Horrifying visuals and an eerie soundtrack make this a tense, entertaining, shit-your-pants scary film!
½ June 24, 2017
This movie is well-crafted and creepy. I didn't get all that invested until about the 40 minutes mark but it does become an entertaining horror film from there. There are a few jump scares but thankfully the film doesn't rely on them.
June 23, 2017
The movie had an interesting story with creepy imagery and a great cast. Besides the few cliche moments, James wan really through some new and great jump scares. Over well James Wan proves that he can do a lot with just a creepy doll.
June 20, 2017
This movie is rated R just because its scary. Do I have to say anything else.
June 11, 2017
The reality of demons and what they could do, frightens all.

The Perron family, consisting of a father, mother, and five daughters, sink all of their money into a new home, only to discover that it is haunted by a demonic presence, a witch that, after being caught trying to sacrifice her newborn child in the name of Satan, hung herself out of love for him instead. Needless to say, family time quickly becomes fright night.

The daughters aren't given a whole lot of background or personalization, except for April, who connects to one of the more docile spirits. It would seem the reasoning for this is because the witch targeted April from the beginning, as we find out towards the end of the film.

All things considered, the reason that "The Conjuring" is such a good horror film isn't because of its jump-scares, its hellish images, or the diabolical behavior of the demon-witch. The horror in this movie comes from the concept of spiritualism, how both the forces of good and evil can be overwhelmingly compelling...even enough to cause a mother to murder her own child, a horror most parents cannot fathom. What makes all of this so frightening is the possibility of it becoming a reality for the viewer, and how it makes one wonder, just what the hell is out there.
June 8, 2017
Enough to scare the hell out of you..
½ May 17, 2017
A quality, entertaining film. Good acting performances and pacing. A disturbing backstory and characters you can relate to.

7.5/10
May 15, 2017
One of the most terrifying movies.
May 12, 2017
The Conjuring is a movie that is based on a true story and stars Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson. The Conjuring is a really good and scary movie. The acting is great, the cast is REALLY good, the story is very frightening and good as well. The cinematography is outstanding in this film! The jump scares in this film really keep up with the mood of the film. The Conjuring is a really good true story horror flick that is directed by James Wan ( Insidious, Saw).
May 5, 2017
No originalty to this film. I love the camera work but it is more of a horror ride. Nothing is scary but boo here and boo there. First 40 minutes were good than the other half of the movie not so much.
April 27, 2017
Disturbing and creepy, The Conjuring is one of the best horror films in recent years.
April 25, 2017
I prefer the sequel but this is still a solid horror movie.
April 23, 2017
One of the best haunted house movies I've seen. Very scary. The sequel however, was just awful.