The Conjuring - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Conjuring Reviews

March 19, 2018
A really well done horror movie based on actual events.
½ March 11, 2018
it is a stupid movie. They did not move out after the dog mysteriously died? Really? They had to call paranormal investigators to realize their house is haunted? Just move out!
March 8, 2018
Well acted and creepier than most, it still follows tropes we saw too often in horrors
February 12, 2018
An extremely well made horror that shows us that smart scares payoff.

Before there was Amityville, there was Harrisville. "The Conjuring" tells the true story of Ed and Lorraine Warren (Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga), world renowned paranormal investigators, who were called to help a family terrorized by a dark presence in a secluded farmhouse. Forced to confront a powerful demonic entity, the Warrens find themselves caught in the most horrifying case of their lives.

I've watched this film how many times, more times than I can count on my hand. Why haven't I reviewed it yet? I don't know, I really don't know. That's a surprise to me because this is probably one of the best structured and delicately crafted horror films I've ever seen. Everything about it feels so complete and it's certainly a great representation of what James Wan can do.

"The Conjuring" is based on the true story, but take that for what you want. The characters in here, who are also based off of real people, are really well constructed. I feel like even though there's not a lot of direct insight into who each of them are, you can still understand who everyone is based on their actions. It's easy to relate to all of them in this situation just through the fear they relate, and the talent behind them all are exceptional.

The reason I love this film is because it's just scary. It's rated R because it's scary, not because of sex, gore, violence, or language. Yeah, it can be seen as a gimmick but I genuinely appreciate an R rated horror because it's just scary. There are no dumb scares in here and when I say that, it means they all had meaning. Jump scares are a misinterpreted piece of art, as they can be really effective. However, they're not effective and they're cheap when they're fake jump scares. This film delivers real scares and builds suspense really well without ever being cheap. That's something you can really appreciate whether you actually like this film or not.

I also love the fact that this story is compelling. It's interesting and it had me emotionally invested the entire time. I was genuinely hooked on this story and I was invested throughout the journey. I was supporting the characters because I related to them and I cared about them. I never felt robbed of anything and it never felt like the creators were copping out. This is one of the best technically made horror films that I've ever seen and it shows that horror can be great if you really try.

In the end, as a film student, this is the kind of horror film I'd strive to make one day. I love this film so much and it's even a part of my giant tattoo. It's one of the best horror films out there and James Wan is certainly one of my favorite directors.
February 10, 2018
A brilliant horror movie, nice story, excellent acting. Moreover, even if some jump scares did exist they weren't overdone
January 27, 2018
This is the last movie I can recall, that actually made me scared to get up and go the bathroom; with the lights off of course. I'm a grown male by the way.
January 15, 2018
The Conjuring deliverers a classic exorcism horror with outstanding performance from Farmiga and Wilson. The movie might be forgotten decades to come, yet it is still excitingly thrilling to take part of the viewing
January 15, 2018
Amazing...Not fresh but scary and that is what we are looking for here!
½ January 14, 2018
This movie certainly has a good creepy vibe to it, although it is a bit long winded at times. I feel like the same story could have been more effective if it was trimmed down a bit. Still, it is decent enough.
January 12, 2018
At times scary, at times rediculous.
January 4, 2018
Scary . new . epic !
January 3, 2018
this film was good for the simple reason that it was a good film horror or no. it wasnt like the traditional empty horror movie entirely built on a flat plot with flat uninteresting characters you wish would hurry up and die already. this film is good by any standards because it manages to make it scary based on the fact you are interested in these characters and the back story for the horror. i found as a horror movie it was fresh and original because it didnt manage to just bore me up until the next jump scare. i found myself enjoying seeing the life of an otherwise ordinary family and ordinary believable people.
January 2, 2018
Nothing here is new, but James Wan manages to craft a very effective horror film anyway. It's very scary at times, even if it relies on genre clichés.
December 20, 2017
Very creepy. Its seems to be hard these days to make a good horror but James wan does succeed. It has the right amount of jump scares i would say, not to many. i also thought most of the cast were excellent. Overall a great watch, very tense. Exactly what a horror should be like.
December 20, 2017
Best horror movie. Filled with genuinely scary and suspenseful moments from the opening scene until the credits roll. James Wan understands how to get audiences with the "less is more" approach. The pacing is perfect as well; the scares build as the film progresses. Must watch!
December 20, 2017
Really good! kept me on edge and was scary
December 16, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.5

Una historia magníficamente narrada, trabajo de producción soberbio y aterradora historia.
½ December 12, 2017
Perfectly executed story line that achieved what it was set out to do, which was to leave the viewer horrified.
December 12, 2017
one of the best........
½ December 4, 2017
The Conjuring replaces continual scares with unanticipated jolts of terror. An original premise and not a ton of predictability makes The Conjuring a genuine horror film. You will be on the edge of your seat with goose bumps and a feeling of uneasiness.