The Conjuring - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Conjuring Reviews

½ December 2, 2016
This is a very good horror the best I've seen in years
½ December 1, 2016
The Conjuring is creepy and at some moments scary but is to unoriginal to be called a horror Gem. There were really good moments of suspense and overall brings the chiche haunted house film to a high standard but is clouded with scares that are overused. Still James Wan gives us some new scares to add to our collection to our nightmares and that's more than what we are use to getting from a horror movie at this time.
November 30, 2016
Amityville for this generation.
November 29, 2016
Intense, suspenseful, and extremely satisfying.
November 24, 2016
Since Insidious a horror film hasn't scared the crap out of me like this, and Wan follows that great movie with this genuinely terrifying story that knows how to maintain a steady level of pure terror by relying on an extremely creepy atmosphere and cinematography.
November 20, 2016
This movie scared me a lot but it also made me feel sad when Caroline nearly killed her daughter. I learned that Family and belief in God will help you to be strong and fight evil spirits.
November 17, 2016
been waiting to see this movie 4 ever, just found this app.
November 10, 2016
Though guilty of relying on countless haunted house clichés, The Conjuring balances its lack of originality with an enjoyably light touch, delivering a beautifully filmed thrill ride rife with energetic, fast-paced direction and a heartfelt adherence to family togetherness.
November 9, 2016
It was really good at doing what it does best, being old school. Great sound design and cinematography with one really cool scene that made me appreciate this movie going back to its genre's roots.
½ November 4, 2016
The Conjuring (2013)
A modern horror classic. It's not that frightening for experienced horror fans, but it's a structurally exceptional film thanks to great pacing and devoted direction from James Wan. Based on the true story of a haunted farmhouse in 1971 Rhode Island, paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren document the haunting of the Perron family through their experience and trust within the Catholic Church. The Conjuring is unique because it revolves around real people, The Warren's, and the telling of their story and the story of this haunting. It's a slow-building thriller at first, with brilliant use of audio to conjure up scares, see what I did there? No, but seriously, Wan uses sound to create creepy scares throughout his films, and it's used so effectively in The Conjuring. The scares come often towards the second and third acts, mostly due to Wan's creative direction and strong acting. As one of the highest grossing horror films of all time, it could be compared to this generations, The Exorcist. James Wan has been an excellent contributor in bringing the horror genre back to life. A-
½ November 2, 2016
James Wan is the daddy of horror genre. Not much something to say about this one other than that it is indeed an effective masterpiece that could possibly gonna haunt the f*ck out of anyone through passing decades.
November 1, 2016
Love the conjuring movies!
November 1, 2016
Love this film but I hate that there is a dog in this film ??
October 30, 2016
The reality of demons and what they can do, frightens all.

The Perron family, consisting of a father, mother, and five daughters, sink all of their money into a new home, only to discover that it is haunted by a demonic presence, a witch that, after being caught trying to sacrifice her newborn child in the name of Satan, hung herself out of love for him instead. Needless to say, family time quickly becomes fright night.

The daughters aren't given a whole lot of background or personalization, except for April, who connects to one of the more docile spirits. It would seem the reasoning for this is because the witch targeted April from the beginning, as we find out towards the end of the film.

All things considered, the reason that "The Conjuring" is such a good horror film isn't because of its jump-scares, its hellish images, or the diabolical behavior of the demon-witch. The horror in this movie comes from the concept of spiritualism, how both the forces of good and evil can be overwhelmingly compelling...even enough to cause a mother to murder her own child, a horror most parents cannot fathom. What makes all of this so frightening is the possibility of it becoming a reality for the viewer, and how it makes one wonder, just what the hell is out there.
October 30, 2016
One of the creepiest, most well-made horror movies I've seen in ages.
½ October 29, 2016
While I think the Warrens' were scam artists, this is a very well written, well acted, and damn creepy film that I would recommend to anyone, because it has the right amount of suspense, jumps, and is an overall great film.
½ October 29, 2016
Do not watch alone. At all.
½ October 29, 2016
A very memorable horror film. It defiantly brings something new to the table.
October 28, 2016
The Conjuring might not redefine the horror genre but it does have a lot of throwbacks to old horror movies and still manages to scare and creep you out.
½ October 27, 2016
The Conjuring: This is the classic, scary movie we've all been waiting for - a well-written, well-acted, terrifying tale, based on the 1970s story of paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren and their experiences with a family being terrorized by a demonic presence in their Rhode Island farmhouse. The film uses old-fashioned storytelling to create frightful moments, dread, and suspense. Without giving too much away, this movie will scare the bejesus out of you. A