The Conjuring - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Conjuring Reviews

½ May 17, 2017
A quality, entertaining film. Good acting performances and pacing. A disturbing backstory and characters you can relate to.

7.5/10
May 15, 2017
One of the most terrifying movies.
May 12, 2017
The Conjuring is a movie that is based on a true story and stars Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson. The Conjuring is a really good and scary movie. The acting is great, the cast is REALLY good, the story is very frightening and good as well. The cinematography is outstanding in this film! The jump scares in this film really keep up with the mood of the film. The Conjuring is a really good true story horror flick that is directed by James Wan ( Insidious, Saw).
May 5, 2017
No originalty to this film. I love the camera work but it is more of a horror ride. Nothing is scary but boo here and boo there. First 40 minutes were good than the other half of the movie not so much.
April 27, 2017
Disturbing and creepy, The Conjuring is one of the best horror films in recent years.
April 25, 2017
I prefer the sequel but this is still a solid horror movie.
April 23, 2017
One of the best haunted house movies I've seen. Very scary. The sequel however, was just awful.
½ April 21, 2017
..........BOO! If you find that terrifying then this film is probably for you. Personally I struggled to go along with this film after the opening 10-15secs when a girl straight faced tells the 'Demonologist' (seriously...give me strength) that they let the little girl 'Inhabit their doll'. It's just nonsense and the more you shine a light on that and treat it with po-faced seriousness the more ridiculous it all seems I'm afraid.
April 14, 2017
Nothing new here but entertaining.
½ April 12, 2017
It's been a while since we've had a horror film like this. And it plays off well.

7.4/10
½ April 10, 2017
Alot of terror, but little story. The only thing original about this is the viewpoint of the ghost hunters. All the rest has been done over and over again. The only thing that wasn't done here is building the house on a ancient indian burial ground. Sure, it scared me, but not in the way I would want to be scared. There is no real tension, just alot of screaming and a quick succession of jump scares.
April 8, 2017
Like the film a lot but there is a problem w why does it even have a rated R rating just for scares
April 3, 2017
I was captivated from the very beginning. So real my instinct was to run away from this movie! James Wan you've taken a real life event and drawn our imaginations to where it points Fear Factor! Could not fault the whole movie. Nothing screams real like the actors facial expressions and what's worse is you know this has happened to a real life family.
If you are a critic that says this latest technology does not scare me well see this movie. James Wan takes us further than that. Get a feel of the house, the past occupants and the relationship amongst two families.
DrStrangeblog
½ April 2, 2017
Basically and updating of the exorcistic, complete with the 1970s setting. A few good scares and some effective visual effects, but I have a hard time buying into these haunted house/demonic possession premises. Doesn't help that they rather pointlessly throw in an evil doll for bad measure. OK for the genre but I won't be bothering with the sequel.
April 1, 2017
The Conjuring, is a really terrifying movie that leaves you scared and enjoyed at the same time. Also, has some great performances from the actors and actresses...
½ April 1, 2017
Outstanding! Saw it twice and still scared.
½ March 26, 2017
Thank you, James Wan, for making horror movies scary again. The Conjuring takes every haunted house cliché in the book and serves them to us in a fresh, terrifying manner, reminding us why they became clichés in the first place.
March 23, 2017
Formulaic but executed so well it scared me witless.
March 20, 2017