The Deep Blue Sea - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Deep Blue Sea Reviews

September 8, 2016
The Deep Blue Sea is slow moving, yet it contains enough story to create a harrowing and relatable love story inside Rachel Weisz's excellent lead performance.
August 31, 2016
Except for Rachel Weisz there was no real reason to like this - but I did. It's a look at the following M / F conundrum: Men want a classy lady in the parlor and a tigress (whore) in the bedroom (so our grannies said). Women want an alpha prince in the parlor and her kind of tiger between the sheets. But when you get one and not the other for a husband, a prince but no tiger, she's left wanting. The reverse is shown, too; a passion inspiring lover who doesn't have it together ... not yet anyway. And there's an older man with a babe for a younger wife (Weisz) who can't or won't control his nasty old mother & raise a growl in the bedroom. Momma's boys at any age aren't good for a woman. This film is a thoughtful, interesting, & skillfully crafted look at these disappointments with a short cold-shower lecture by the landlady thrown-in for extra measure. This is a film for thoughtful adults, beautifully blocked and photographed at a pace that would be slow were the flim not cut to a good length. It also would be very good - maybe better - on the stage where it originally was produced. The film has a stage feel to it.
August 16, 2016
Is slow paced, but the performances from Weisz to Hiddleston steal the show, making this a solid melancholic love interpretation.
June 4, 2016
A beautifully complex love story featuring superb performances by Rachel Weisz and Tom Hiddleston.
May 10, 2016
This is a damn near masterpiece! Regretful I haven't watched it sooner!
½ February 29, 2016
The Deep Blue Sea is a film from Terence Davies based on a stage play with the same name. Starring a great cast Rachel Weisz, Tom Hiddleston and Simon Russell. It's a dramatic dark romance about love and lust after World War II. An award winning pilot starts an affair with a emotionally troubled woman who is married to a boring older gentleman. She is longing for love and excitement.
The film has a great story, a great cast but beware it is a very slow film that may put you to sleep.
November 22, 2015
Deep Blue sea is both fun and scary and I love it!
½ October 22, 2015
NOT that shark film with Samuel L Jackson. In fact, it's about as far from that movie as it's possible to be. Set in the suffocating world of post-war London, Rachel Weisz is astonishing in this slow-moving, non-linear telling of her escape from a sexless (but not loveless) marriage into a passionate but also doomed love affair with a damaged, self-centred war veteran.

It starts at the end but then takes us on a sometimes bewildering journey through episodes and decisions that brought her to the tragic conclusion. She's sometimes very hard to like, as it is clear that her decisions are a large part in her unhappiness. Caught between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, she may not have an easy way out, but she certainly doesn't find it.

Alongside Weisz, Tom Hiddlestone and Simon Russell Beale are terrific. And Terence Davies' simple direction never takes over from the material or the performances. The slowness of his camera movements lead the viewer to focus ever more closely, and pay attention to every nuance.

It feels like a long 98 minutes, because every second is loaded and weighty with nuance. Probably not for everyone, but that's their loss.
½ October 2, 2015
the picture is just so peaceful and pretty, and sad
½ September 21, 2015
The Deep Blue Sea is yet another emotionally devastating exercise in restraint and subtlety from Terence Davies, who takes a classic story (wealthy woman leaves husband she's indifferent towards in favor of a more passionate mate) and makes it exemplary. It boasts points of craft that Davies has excelled at rendering in the past (the specificity of the dialogue, the deliberate pace, and the precise emotional connection communicated through the incredibly meticulous performances) and exists both as a testament to his unmatched directorial prowess and a powerful portrayal of the consequences love can bring upon those who get caught up in it.
July 19, 2015
A very slow very British drama. Faded from my memory pretty fast. I imagine an old English couple loving this, perhaps its not made for me.
July 14, 2015
Maybe 90% of the reason I gave it a 5-star rating is because of the bar scene. It hit me where I needed it most. Jack never asked to be loved Jill. That's your damn, hard luck.
½ March 15, 2015
I can sort of sense The Deep Blue Sea is better to be seen on stage close up. The effect would definitely be amplified. Not saying that the movie is badly made or anything because these actors, Rachel Weisz, Tom Hiddleston and Simon Russell Beale are absolutely top-notch.
½ January 20, 2015
Rachel Weisz lo es todo en esta película.
November 21, 2014
If melancholy is deep blue, perhaps the sea is alive. Cinematography was stunning from beginning to end, Rachel Weisz delivered a profound performance, and there was a sequence--the subway scene--that left me wonderstruck.
½ November 15, 2014
Another non-mummy Rachel Wiesz flick in which she portrays an annoying protagonist that I end up disliking midway. Can there not be a third option of non-mummy, non-annoying Wiesz flick? I dearly hope so.
November 11, 2014
The movie synopsis is wrong -- Hester's lover Freddie isn't troubled, SHE is. Drama queen! She needs to get a life. Seriously. Imagine trying to commit suicide because your significant other forgets your birthday! She needs some hobbies or something. The movie shows how important it is to have your own life experiences and not depend on someone else to complete you. The script feels a little amateurish though -- almost like it was written by someone in high school.
½ September 24, 2014
Based on a Terence Rattigan play, this film tells the story of Hester who is trapped in a passionless marriage of convenience to an rich older gentleman, Sir William. When she meets ex-soldier Freddie Page, she falls in love, beginning a passionate affair. They are found out though and when Hester moves in with penniless Freddie, she finds that her love for him outweighs his love for her a great deal.
It's basically a story about the balance of love. Hester can no more give William the love he desires than Freddie can give her.
It makes for a pretty depressing film. Weisz is rather good in the role of Hester, but there isn't much appeal to her character. The only one you give two hoots about is poor Sir William. Tom Hiddleston as Freddie is actually quite unbearable at times. He could do with reeling the scenery chewing moments in.
I imagine it might be better on the stage, but this is far too maudlin a story for my taste.
September 16, 2014
the story has been told better but Weisz gives a fantastic career best performance