The Details - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Details Reviews

½ May 16, 2016
Good movie. Quirky. I liked that.
Movies, TV, and videos always show the other woman as the sexual aggressor. Anyone who has been single at ages past 25 knows that married men are often pretending to be single, making the dating game that much harder. I found that scenario to be amusing, yet completely out of line with what is supposed to be complete honesty in this story. The idea that "that lusty woman made me do it." is so unlikely.

It would be more likely that he told her they were getting a divorce and that she - boohoo - doesn't bring him flowers anymore.

Married men are on all of the singles dating sites, gumming up the works. And they are often the ones making the advances, pretending to be single. The idea that she threw herself at him - unlikely.

And the lead actor is believable until we see the way he wears his pants. I like him, I just want him to dress a little better.
February 14, 2016
OK, to be honest, I just watched this to see spider man cuss. But at the film's conclusion, I found it to be fun, but at certain points you'll certainly be thinking, "only in the movies." Were the plot twists anything new or extraordinary? A modern couple's priority of self-indulgence over directly solving marriage disputes unusual? Was this "comedy" Funny? Insightful? Unique? No, but the acting was fine and plot interesting enough to keep one engaged. To the point of exception and exhilaration? No. But good for just under a couple of hours of divergence from one's own lesser problems. The main purpose of this movie might simply be just to distract one from problems, lesser problems, a good distraction for a couple hours.

We do discover that Doc or Jeff (Tobey Maguire) may just have a bit of a tough time handling his personal problems, as he finds out from the act-like-a-man lecture at the hands of his college friend's cuckold husband, Peter (Ray Liotta). Jeff is a guy who cheated his way through medical school and can't quite seem to come to terms with being accountable and forthright. Instead of addressing his intimacy issues with his wife, Jeff goes on-line and gets into sex chats with on-line hookers. Upon confessing this to Rebecca, his college friend, a psychologist, she "helps" him by engaging in physical instead of psychological therapy in attempt to ease her own sexual frustrations with her husband, Peter. You would think these "professionals" would have learned some ethics while in med school, but it appears the message of Details is that we live in a society of self-indulgence not one of doing the right thing.

So the plot thickens. Jeff has to deal with the neighbour he impregnates, a basket ball buddy, Lincoln, who cleans things up by killing said neighbour, (Jeff has donated a kidney to save Lincoln's life), and Peter who blackmails Jeff, who mortgages his home only to have Peter throw the money into the river. Oh, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. This is just everyday life ..... in the movies.

So we sit there watching, chuckling on occasion (the scene where Lila morns her cat is the high point) and just glad we are not in Jeff or Nealy's place (Elizabeth Banks). Overall, entertaining, but good not great at that.
January 22, 2016
Brilliant and Hysterical.
½ December 29, 2015
I searched for "Detaljer" in my local libraries catalogue. It suggested this. Terrible suggestion. A painfully terrible choice. It is supposed to be a comedy but I found no funny moments. It is another dreary movie about how shitty marriage is. Or the suburbs. Or life. Or something like that. Who knows. There was no reason to care.
October 25, 2015
Good script and good performances by Tobey Maguire, interesting a new story, but with a little predictable narrative and some cliches.
October 25, 2015
½ March 25, 2015
Laura Linney is certainly the top scorer here.
December 17, 2014
I liked it for the first 80 minutes but the ending leaves with many 'Details' untold.
½ December 17, 2014
Lo mejor del film; Tobey Maguire, en su mejores interpretaciones, sin duda.
November 2, 2014
Yuck.
Billed as a dark comedy.
Was dark, but extremely uncomfortable, and I don't remember laughing once :(
Booo.
October 2, 2014
Monday, September 29, 2014

(2012) The Details
DRAMA/ COMEDY

Movie centers on a physician by the name of Jeff Lang (Tobey McGuire) attempting to dispose of a raccoon who regularly wrecks his back yard, and starts to make dumb choices normal people would not have done. He buys cages in an attempt to capture it, as well as poisoning it, leaving out the only possible thing to do was to call a professional to capture it. Viewers don't even get to know why the racoon only wrecks Jeff's back yard and no one else's.

2 out of 4 stars
September 6, 2014
Fun to watch. Weirdly funny. Laura Linney can play anyone. What an actress!
½ July 28, 2014
A unique story of a guy that gets tangled up in a web of lies & mistakes, to me its not a comedy but a story of a man who makes mistakes then tries to amend them by giving a man who is dying a second chance. Maguire & Banks are two actors I enjoy watching. It's a weird tale but enjoyable.
½ July 28, 2014
Go watch this immediately.
½ June 14, 2014
"The Details" lives up to it's plot in that it gives American's their fantasy story about characters who's lives are worse than their own.
April 13, 2014
It may be uneven, too dark for some, too campy for others, but above all that, The Details tells a story that needs to be told. This is one of those special movies that ever so slightly changed the fabric of who I am after viewing. With one of the best endings in cinema in years (I'm gonna go with....since American Beauty), The Details has something very important to say, and actually has the balls to flat out say it.
March 8, 2014
entertaining, pretty over looked.
½ January 25, 2014
Enjoyable enough but for the plot it doesn't seem sinister as it should be with the actors. Love Toby Maguire and would watch the little cutie in anything (does he ever age btw?) Laura Linney is good as usual but, while the acting is fine, the lack of chemistry makes it not ring true.
½ January 20, 2014
I see this movie was quite disliked by most, and i really cannot see why that is. I really enjoyed it.... I though Tobey Maguire gave a very interesting performance that i enjoyed. It was one of those movies that I was interested in, looked online saw people didn't like it so it didn't watch it. But I finally got the courage to watch it and really liked this movie. I don't know if I'd recommend it though.... I mean looking at others consensus, i'm not sure. Maybe just my cynical side, or my dark humor side that likes "The Details", but I did like it
January 7, 2014
Muy aburrida, pretendieron hacer una pelicula de trama extraña , lo es, pero les salio aburridisima