The Details - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Details Reviews

½ February 12, 2018
This movie was insanely frustrating, but somehow I was moderately satisfied by the end.
February 7, 2018
Strengths: There was a quirky element to this film that worked for it. It was the kind of thing where something that we shouldn't laugh at happens, yet it turns out to be quite funny. The story takes some truly wacky and unexpected turns, that keep you on your toes. I also think this was one of the better Tobey Maguire (Jeff) performances. He played well off Elizabeth Banks (Nealy), Dennis Haysberg (Lincoln), and Laura Linney (Lila).

Weaknesses: While Banks does solid work, I think it was a role that was probably better suited to a different kind of actress. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something didn't click the way it probably should've. I found myself wondering why Kerry Washington (Rebecca) and Ray Liotta (Peter) were even cast. They were kind of just there and added nothing to the film. Also, while I appreciated some of the plot twists, they did go into "completely unrealistic" territory.

Overall: This isn't a bad movie, it just doesn't veer into anything above average. The performances are mostly fine and the plot keeps you engaged, but it takes things a bit too far. When things feel too far-fetched, you get pulled out of the story and that's not good.
½ February 2, 2018
Entertaining and crazy time for a medical doctor just trying to rid his yard of a raccoon...with a few complications on the way.
½ January 29, 2018
It does do a nice of capturing your attention with the snowballing of drastic events in the main character's life. Overall its just "okay". Nothing great really stood out.
January 5, 2018
I love quirky independent films and could not stop laughing aloud watching this alone in my living room. Do not read the recap, just play it and enjoy the troubles as they keep piling up.
December 22, 2017
WASTE OF TIME!!! TERRIBLE MOVIE!! I WANT TO WIPE AWAY THE LAST 2 HOURS OF MY LIFE.... MY HOMIE CANT PIC THE MOVIES ANYMORE FOR SHOWING ME THIS... MATTER OF FACT I DONT KNOW IF HE WAS EVER MY FRIEND FOR SHOWING THIS BS MOVIE. I"M THOROUGHLY PISSED. I WISH I COULD GIVE IT NO STARS.
December 22, 2017
this was a disgustingly sick film. we felt the pain, torture Tobey went through
½ November 28, 2016
I really like Tobey McGuire. I wanted this to be better, I really did. It needed to be quirkier. It was riding this odd line of fantastical story but normal, but not but boring characters. It needed to be way out there with a better wife. Martha Plimpton or even Ellen Page would've been better. Just needed to be weirder.
½ May 16, 2016
Good movie. Quirky. I liked that.
Movies, TV, and videos always show the other woman as the sexual aggressor. Anyone who has been single at ages past 25 knows that married men are often pretending to be single, making the dating game that much harder. I found that scenario to be amusing, yet completely out of line with what is supposed to be complete honesty in this story. The idea that "that lusty woman made me do it." is so unlikely.

It would be more likely that he told her they were getting a divorce and that she - boohoo - doesn't bring him flowers anymore.

Married men are on all of the singles dating sites, gumming up the works. And they are often the ones making the advances, pretending to be single. The idea that she threw herself at him - unlikely.

And the lead actor is believable until we see the way he wears his pants. I like him, I just want him to dress a little better.
February 14, 2016
OK, to be honest, I just watched this to see spider man cuss. But at the film's conclusion, I found it to be fun, but at certain points you'll certainly be thinking, "only in the movies." Were the plot twists anything new or extraordinary? A modern couple's priority of self-indulgence over directly solving marriage disputes unusual? Was this "comedy" Funny? Insightful? Unique? No, but the acting was fine and plot interesting enough to keep one engaged. To the point of exception and exhilaration? No. But good for just under a couple of hours of divergence from one's own lesser problems. The main purpose of this movie might simply be just to distract one from problems, lesser problems, a good distraction for a couple hours.

We do discover that Doc or Jeff (Tobey Maguire) may just have a bit of a tough time handling his personal problems, as he finds out from the act-like-a-man lecture at the hands of his college friend's cuckold husband, Peter (Ray Liotta). Jeff is a guy who cheated his way through medical school and can't quite seem to come to terms with being accountable and forthright. Instead of addressing his intimacy issues with his wife, Jeff goes on-line and gets into sex chats with on-line hookers. Upon confessing this to Rebecca, his college friend, a psychologist, she "helps" him by engaging in physical instead of psychological therapy in attempt to ease her own sexual frustrations with her husband, Peter. You would think these "professionals" would have learned some ethics while in med school, but it appears the message of Details is that we live in a society of self-indulgence not one of doing the right thing.

So the plot thickens. Jeff has to deal with the neighbour he impregnates, a basket ball buddy, Lincoln, who cleans things up by killing said neighbour, (Jeff has donated a kidney to save Lincoln's life), and Peter who blackmails Jeff, who mortgages his home only to have Peter throw the money into the river. Oh, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. This is just everyday life ..... in the movies.

So we sit there watching, chuckling on occasion (the scene where Lila morns her cat is the high point) and just glad we are not in Jeff or Nealy's place (Elizabeth Banks). Overall, entertaining, but good not great at that.
January 22, 2016
Brilliant and Hysterical.
½ December 29, 2015
I searched for "Detaljer" in my local libraries catalogue. It suggested this. Terrible suggestion. A painfully terrible choice. It is supposed to be a comedy but I found no funny moments. It is another dreary movie about how shitty marriage is. Or the suburbs. Or life. Or something like that. Who knows. There was no reason to care.
October 25, 2015
Good script and good performances by Tobey Maguire, interesting a new story, but with a little predictable narrative and some cliches.
October 25, 2015
½ March 25, 2015
Laura Linney is certainly the top scorer here.
December 17, 2014
I liked it for the first 80 minutes but the ending leaves with many 'Details' untold.
½ December 17, 2014
Lo mejor del film; Tobey Maguire, en su mejores interpretaciones, sin duda.
November 2, 2014
Yuck.
Billed as a dark comedy.
Was dark, but extremely uncomfortable, and I don't remember laughing once :(
Booo.
October 2, 2014
Monday, September 29, 2014

(2012) The Details
DRAMA/ COMEDY

Movie centers on a physician by the name of Jeff Lang (Tobey McGuire) attempting to dispose of a raccoon who regularly wrecks his back yard, and starts to make dumb choices normal people would not have done. He buys cages in an attempt to capture it, as well as poisoning it, leaving out the only possible thing to do was to call a professional to capture it. Viewers don't even get to know why the racoon only wrecks Jeff's back yard and no one else's.

2 out of 4 stars
September 6, 2014
Fun to watch. Weirdly funny. Laura Linney can play anyone. What an actress!