The Devil Wears Prada - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Devil Wears Prada Reviews

Page 1 of 1946
June 23, 2017
Excellent, funny and witty, passes the bechdal test with flying colours. I quote this movie all the time
June 17, 2017
omg this movie was sooo cooll !!!
½ June 14, 2017
Surprisingly good! I like Hathaway (yes, The Princess Diaries was very entertaining, in my opinion), and Streep had an awesome character, inside and out, with many surprising levels. Makes me think of my first few years in the workforce, where you don't really know what's going on, or how to behave, or how you should let people treat you (for example, from this movie, where someone would insult you on the personal level to try to motivate you in your work life. I hate that, and would not tolerate it now, but took a lot of it in years past).
Also a good performance from Tucci, and I liked his fashion (amongst others, including the women) !
Watched at Sam's parents place with her and her mom Irene on DVR, June 13, 2017.
½ June 6, 2017
was a good comedy commenting on the world of fashion
May 4, 2017
Superficial and underwhelming, but I've seen much worse. It was moderately enjoyable. (First and only viewing - 8/19/2014)
April 29, 2017
surprised to see miss gisele bundchen in this flick. anne hathaway truly grew on me in this film, lovely to witness some personal growth since her marvellous work in princess diaries. a real pro on set.
April 24, 2017
I recently had occasion to watch this one to kill some time on a vacation and I would have to say that it's still a fun film, probably not as biting a satire as it thinks it is, but still a cute, harmless way to spend an afternoon.

Rental if that sounds appealing to you?
½ April 14, 2017
Such a fun, fabulous movie!
April 12, 2017
High fashion doesn't overshadow the film's intriguing premise, powerful performance by Meryl Streep, nor the top notch writing.
March 29, 2017
The theme is about main actress Andy how to succeed step by step from poor fashion to replaced first assistant and win her cruel boss's respect. Also this movie tells the bitterness behind success and the business field of scheme.
The film is set in NYC. I love the fashion. So I really enjoy watching And change clothes everyday. They are so vogue. The accessories like hats, bags, necklaces match her clothes perfectly. I'll recommend it to people who love the fashion. it's funny and a bit sad.
March 20, 2017
Too predictable, and I mean predictable! A waste of Stanley Tucci's talents. Otherwise it isn't easy to 'hate' this film, even if it's genre isn't to your liking. However it isn't anything special and doesn't stand out.
March 11, 2017
An award winning turn from Meryl Streep. A fun and enjoyable insight into the brutal world of high fashion. Well casted.
March 8, 2017
Great casting, memorable scenes, dark and sarcastic humor. Exceeded my expectations.
February 27, 2017
"Don't be ridiculous Andrea. Everybody wants to be us."
~ Miranda Priestly ~
.....and how RIGHT she is! Love, love, LOVE this movie! :)
February 10, 2017
Everyone has that list of films that they "have to see." At least that's what you're told by friends who start foaming at the mouth when you admit to not seeing a movie that they have the slightest interest in. Hyperbole is responsible for killing my expectations of a lot of things. Thanks to rabid fans and their baskets of superlatives, Doctor Who and Firefly both give off a horrendous stink that has kept me far away. And on the flipside, decently entertaining films have let me down because of effusive overhype. Mean Girls in particular was a funny movie. Notice I said "funny" and not "hilarious," "hysterical," or "an indispensable marvel of comedy." That's because that's all it is: funny. The years leading up to my eventual viewing of it led me to believe something different. It was supposedly the harbinger of the 21st century teen comedy and an absolute delight to the millions of people who quoted it daily. Imagine my surprise when I finally saw it.

But this isn't a review of Mean Girls. The experience I had, hopes fading and the feeling of being cheated, reemerged when I sat down to (finally) dive into another supposed mid-00's gem. I don't hear The Devil Wears Prada being discussed often, but when it is, it's always using (you guessed it) superlatives. Meryl Streep's performance is one for the ages. Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt have amazing comic chemistry. It's the funniest movie ever made about fashion (kind of pigeonholing yourself there, don't you think?). But I'm a jaded old man and so I tried not to let unrealistic expectations ruin it for me.

Even then, The Devil Wears Prada let me down. A lot.

The first glaring issue in my ears - or my ears rather - is its lazy monotonous soundtrack. It layers on track after track of bland adult contemporary music that blend into each other like a single song on repeat. It sounds like royalty free elevator musak shoved in as a placeholder that the editor forgot to replace before exporting the final print. Imagine the sappy soundtrack of Love Actually, but without the cajones to push audience emotions in any directions. It's just blah and it makes the movie blah by being there.

This movie is also famous for giving Meryl Streep another notch in her Oscar nomination belt (she's up to twenty now), but though her performance is good, she isn't even the best part of this movie. The Academy seems to award her just for showing up. Granted, she's one of the premiere talents of our time, but she isn't flawless. If we're going to look at truly deserving performances in this movie, all eyes should be on Stanley Tucci. His bitchy, mentor-figure Nigel is an absolute delight and outshines Streep with biting wit and calculated affectation. It makes you wish that writer Aline Brosh KcKenna had written Simon Baker and Adrian Grenier out of the movie entirely and replaced their scenes with more Nigel. Is there a fan-made supercut of this out there somewhere? Because there needs to be.

In the end, this movie didn't even leave me with the deflated feeling I got from Mean Girls. That movie was good, but not as good as I had been led to believe. The Devil Wears Prada is just boring, preaches unchecked materialism, and is dated by its depiction of pre-recession college grads in New York. At least I got to check this off my list forever. 3.9/10
January 15, 2017
Some of the cast are amazing. Anne Hathaway isn't.
January 6, 2017
Am I the only one, who just can't like this movie? It's supposed to be witty satire with some drama features and even a make over, but for me it just shows like a rom com box office.
January 2, 2017
Presently reading the book.
December 26, 2016
I dearly love this movie and have watched it many times. And one thing that I take from it--was Andrea really selfish? Or were her friends? One year is what she needed to achieve a lot. Is that so much to ask from loved ones? I think it says a lot, or little, for her friends. If my husband had to spend a year where I hardly saw him and it would change his life, what kind of husband would I be if I wasn't understanding!
½ November 27, 2016
This movie is amazing I have watched more than once. I think a kid at the age of 12 will in joy this movie. It's inspiring and it's just something you need to watch in your lifetime.
Page 1 of 1946