The Devil Wears Prada - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Devil Wears Prada Reviews

Page 1 of 1946
December 9, 2017
This movie is worth watching just to see another bravura performance from Meryl Streep, who is outstanding. Hathaway, Blunt and Tucci are also fine. The core of the story is good and interesting, but it gets way overdone at times. It works better when it is sending-up the fashion industry than when it tries to develop the career or moral themes.
December 8, 2017
The Devil Wears Prada

It is hard to find a film that has a plot line that can not be predicted within the first ten minutes. Better yet, it is hard to not only find that, but also one that is entertaining, funny and rewatchable. The Devil Wears Prada is a film that captures originality and entertainment all in one. It is sure to have it's audience intrigued and entertained throughout.
In the movie, the main characters name is Andrea [Anne Hathaway]. She is from a small town and is a recent college graduate looking to pursue a career in the editorial business and show her father that she can be independent and successful on her own. Unlike other woman in the business, she doesn't know how to dress the part and is unprepared for what the future holds. She ends up getting a job working for one of the biggest fashion magazines in the Country, and her boss is the one and only Miranda Priestly [Merril Streep], or as the movie title would hint, the devil that wears Prada. Throughout the movie, Andrea is tested and her patience are pushed. She molds herself into what society and the fashion business thinks she should be, all while leaving behind who she really is.
If you love Anne Hathaway then this movie is pure gold. It could be closely compared to The Princess Diaries in the fact that she is changed from an old version of herself to a new and improved version. She also has a person above her that she needs to impress and has a tough relationship with. Her role in the Devil Wears Prada is creative and unpredictable. Although it is sometimes dramatic and over the top about the magazine business, that is what entertains the audience and keeps the comedy alive throughout. It is a film that you can watch multiple times, and it never gets old. The film not only touches on the energetic satire of the fashion world, but also the drama that viewers crave. In the film, Andrea is given a total makeover. She is completely changed head to toe. Her friends are left behind and work becomes her entire life, especially keeping her boss happy. In the film it shows her doing tasks such as fetching an original copy of the new Harry Potter book that hasn't even been through printing or dropping of a copy of their new editorial without making eye contact with Miranda's daughters. She is told constantly throughout the movie that girls would kill for her job and that she could be let go with one mistake. These over dramatic and hilarious situations are what keep the film entertaining and make it one of my all time favorites. One mistake, and she could be fired from the one job that is helping her pursue her ultimate goal.
I think that the overall best part about this film, is that it provides a lesson to the audience. A film makers goal is to make the audience walk away with something, and as cheesy as it sounds, this movie does it. It shows that while it is important to go all in and do our best to meet our goals, we can not alter ourselves in negative ways hoping that is will bring positive outcomes. Andrea put her entire life on hold to be a servant to her boss, and while other girls may kill for that, she felt unhappy and unfulfilled. Andrea struggles with losing everything just so that she can gain her bosses affection, and at the end of the film she finally realizes that she threw away everything that made her who she truly was so that she could be what the industry wanted her to be. We can not change ourselves to what other believe we are supposed to be because in the end, it is not others who make us who we are.
October 26, 2017
Not bad - light entertainment - Meryl Streep always good, of course!
September 15, 2017
I can't quite figure out why, but I really hated this movie.
August 12, 2017
awesome movie loved it especially the work parts
½ August 2, 2017
I starting to think this movie was another funny comedy with fun performances. But it turned to be so much more than that. It was not only focus in the fashion world and how Adrea adapts to a ''world'' that didn't suits her, but also showing whats really made us feel complete and fulfield in our life, personal or professional, is being ourselves, because on the oposite of what Miranda (Streep's character) said, not everyone wants to live a luxury life!
Bravo to the amazing performances by Anne Hathaway and Meryl Streep. A must see movie!
July 26, 2017
Overall good. Ending was a little weak but overall good movie.
July 17, 2017
I didn't find a story line, movie was just going on. No climex, just boring. Was playing game while watching.
July 2, 2017
Funny, clever and a great performance by Meryl Streep. You couldnīt ask for more
June 30, 2017
Favorite movie of all time
June 23, 2017
Excellent, funny and witty, passes the bechdal test with flying colours. I quote this movie all the time
June 17, 2017
omg this movie was sooo cooll !!!
½ June 14, 2017
Surprisingly good! I like Hathaway (yes, The Princess Diaries was very entertaining, in my opinion), and Streep had an awesome character, inside and out, with many surprising levels. Makes me think of my first few years in the workforce, where you don't really know what's going on, or how to behave, or how you should let people treat you (for example, from this movie, where someone would insult you on the personal level to try to motivate you in your work life. I hate that, and would not tolerate it now, but took a lot of it in years past).
Also a good performance from Tucci, and I liked his fashion (amongst others, including the women) !
Watched at Sam's parents place with her and her mom Irene on DVR, June 13, 2017.
½ June 6, 2017
was a good comedy commenting on the world of fashion
May 4, 2017
Superficial and underwhelming, but I've seen much worse. It was moderately enjoyable. (First and only viewing - 8/19/2014)
April 29, 2017
surprised to see miss gisele bundchen in this flick. anne hathaway truly grew on me in this film, lovely to witness some personal growth since her marvellous work in princess diaries. a real pro on set.
April 24, 2017
I recently had occasion to watch this one to kill some time on a vacation and I would have to say that it's still a fun film, probably not as biting a satire as it thinks it is, but still a cute, harmless way to spend an afternoon.

Rental if that sounds appealing to you?
½ April 14, 2017
Such a fun, fabulous movie!
April 12, 2017
High fashion doesn't overshadow the film's intriguing premise, powerful performance by Meryl Streep, nor the top notch writing.
March 29, 2017
The theme is about main actress Andy how to succeed step by step from poor fashion to replaced first assistant and win her cruel boss's respect. Also this movie tells the bitterness behind success and the business field of scheme.
The film is set in NYC. I love the fashion. So I really enjoy watching And change clothes everyday. They are so vogue. The accessories like hats, bags, necklaces match her clothes perfectly. I'll recommend it to people who love the fashion. it's funny and a bit sad.
Page 1 of 1946