The Expendables - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Expendables Reviews

November 9, 2016
Great fun to watch this unique cast!
October 16, 2016
Oct 2016 - just enough of everything, and Jason Stratham ū'?
October 16, 2016
For the most part I liked it, but, for me, the violence was a little over the top here and there. Almost too much shooting and explosions for my personal taste. Lot of bangs.

The coming together of some great classic action heroes was fun to see. The meeting in a church of 3 big action heroes with long successful careers is a classic moment.

The bad guys are despicably bad. A girl needs saving. A bunch of classic heroes get their fair share of badass action fighting scenes. Bad guys pay their dues.

One thing I didn't like, and this is just me, was too much blanket firing and big explosions, where I didn't feel sure that people who deserved to live weren't going down in some of that fire.

Some of those soldiers may have had no choice but to work for an evil dictator. Just a thought.
½ August 22, 2016
The Expendables does a mediocre job in action scenes, and even a much worse job in storytelling. However, it is still entertaining for a mindless action movie.
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
Incredible film I loved every minute of it, One of my favorite action films to date, Some good gory kills, One of the strongest casts ever in an action film and the action itself was amazing, The humour tops it off to make it the perfect action film.
July 27, 2016
It's really really badly written, and feels like a straight-to-DVD action flick. And despite what some die hard 80's action fanboys say, that's really not a good thing.
July 21, 2016
La acci√¬≥n me pareci√¬≥ bien hecha, la idea de juntar todos estos actores me gust√¬≥ mucho aunque me decepcion√≥ que Arnold s√≥lo estuviera en una escena. Hab√≠an partes que no encontraba sentido y me era dif√≠cil conectarlas con otras.
½ July 18, 2016
Good movie full of violence and humor but just not as good as it should with this cast the second one triumphs over this any day
June 29, 2016
A guy movie I actually want to see
June 13, 2016
Enjoyable, great seeing this amazing cast, proving they still got it.
½ June 12, 2016
Stallone rounds up (and rounds out) a cast of retirees from the old-folks home and then explosions happen. Lots & lots of over the top explosions. Some of the acting feels as though it is delivered in the tone of "you should just be happy you're getting to see me on the screen again" - well I'm not.
May 26, 2016
A decent action movie, but nowhere near great.
½ May 6, 2016
Has all the feels for the Sylvester Stallone cheesy action film and that can be sometimes good. Not at all special but the first of trio ain't all bad but not all good.
April 29, 2016
The director's cut is the way to go, but regardless of the script's inevitable shortcomings, Stallone's labor of love pet-project is a successful violent throwback to the far more potent action films of the '80's. Check your narrative and character development expectations at the door and get ready for R-rated action sequences that have been sorely missing from the superhero-movie-dominated cinemas of the 2000's and 2010's.
½ April 3, 2016
Silly, poorly written, but loads of fun, the movie is a big mess full of action, old stars, and explosions. The Expendables is a movie that I'd watch again, it could have been better though.
March 24, 2016
It's the greatest collaboration of Hollywood's macho men but together they only serve to highlight their undeniable flaws. Action sequences though decent are forgettable as part of a poorly acted, poorly composed bore-fest!
½ March 20, 2016
Another film with an all-star cast that obviously relied on its all-star cast. The title fits, this movie was "expendable."
March 15, 2016
There were MANY places where it could have been improved, but overall, it's a blast. Stallone's Director's Cut is much better.
February 29, 2016
Wow, this is pretty horrible. Low production quality at times. Poor writing. Indifferent acting. Was all the money literally spent on contracts?
½ February 8, 2016
What do you get if you bring all the bad ass action heroes into one movie? Answer is the expendables, a very watchable movie. The trouble is, with so many a-listers in one place, it's difficult to kill any of them off as they're all so used to playing the sole surviving victor. Having not watched a great deal of the films these guys star in, some of the names were less familiar to me, but despite being several different faces on screen, they all share an identical personality, with deep voices, bodies dosed up with steroids, and bitches always by their side. It's kind of like a macho version of bond, with less jokes, less cheese, but more violence. It's very mafia like, and about the only thing it is missing is Robert De Niro and Al Pacino. Having said that, there was one very corny scene with Terminator and Rambo in that became quite cringeworthy when it made references to Presidency and living life in the jungle, but I'll put that down to butch actors just attempting showing their witty side as a one off. Other than that, it was raw brute against brute in a beefcake fest to the death. It did well to give each star a good amount of screen time, with a great showcase of combat moves from wrestling to Kung fu. I'm surprised at how much I actually enjoyed this as I thought it would be all braun and no brains behind its direction, yet it kept me engaged throughout. Whether the movie itself was big enough to be labelled a success is debatable as I imagine it would have had to have taken a substantial amount of returns to fund the actors wages in this. Nevertheless, with my leisure head on as opposed to my business mind, this was a pretty recommendable production, where I would be only too happy to see the sequel.