The Expendables - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Expendables Reviews

May 16, 2018
This film does not deliver. It is not necessarily bad but a film that wanted to be a throwback to the classic action films of the 80s and early 90s lacks the fun and entertainment.
The film is trying too hard to be cool. From the biker gang mercenaries to a trench-coat wearing Schwarzenegger cameo.
The film is bogged down with average stunts, average dialogue and a cast that other than Stallone and Statham is average.

That being said Stallone and Statham are solid and Jet Li stands out from the crowd for his fight with the man-mountain that is Dolph.

Its watchable but certainly not the classic we were promised and most disappointing...it is not that fun.The film has a stop start feel and keeps going back and forth while trying to be taken seriously. Stallone, being a kind director or promising everyone screen time, tries to give his cast screen time in equal measure. This leads to a script written around the cast and what they can offer in a fight instead of round a story.

A perfect example of how to do this style of film better is the original Predator. The first 10-15 mins sets up a mission and we are introduced to the crew/gang very quickly. It gets the boring stuff out of the way and gets them all in the jungle quick as possible with a very straight forward plot and then it slowly cranks up the tension.
This film could have benefited from that approach. Pick a mission and have the characters introduced on the drop, then when something goes wrong we get to know the cast over the length of the movie and start to root for them.
May 2, 2018
The reason you are watching this movie is because you want to see some action from Stallone and some other stars and it delivers it pretty well in my opinion. The action scenes are long and awesome but not everyone gets enough screen time.
April 15, 2018
After re watching it a second time I really enjoyed it it. It really is a special thing to see all of these actors in one film that its too hard not to appreciate.
February 12, 2018
Most of your favorite action stars from the 80s and 90s all working in the same movie...yeah awesome.
½ December 23, 2017
The ensemble of stars elevate it somewhat, but The Expendables suffers from a sluggish plot and choppy, sparse action.
½ November 23, 2017
When this movie was announced, having been a lifelong fan of Sly and Arnie, this was action movie heaven becoming reality. While it may not have lived up to that, there was enough good in it to see that more names could be added and the action made bigger and better. There is a powerful scene involving Mickey Rourke, that while very impressive acting, is totally out of place in the context of the blood n guts mercenary story.
August 18, 2017
Over the top silliness to the point of parody and voyeuristic violence. That about sums up the whole movie.
½ August 12, 2017
Bad boring action packed movie starring Sylvester Stallone and other random people whom will never be a big action star like Sylvester Stallone. I know that their is a sequel and I did hear that it's way better than this so I'm intrigued because this movie is forgettable and their is not a lot of competition so I am intrigued.
August 6, 2017
Finally got round to this film so I could see what all the fuss was about.
Whilst I enjoyed the action scenes (they are very good set pieces and are endlessly enjoyable), the rest of the film just does not hold up. The plot is paper thin and almost non existent, the over-arching theme of comradery is forced and becomes of little interest, the dialogue is extremely cheesy and unfortunately the participating players don't have the acting skill to pull it off. It is awesome to see so many of the action greats of my childhood together in one place, but this also serves to highlight where their skills actually are (blowing things up and punching people). In particular the wrestlers on board are awful, neither of them lending anything to the film at all.
There are some exceptions... Mickey Rourke has a good go and I would've liked to see more from Bruce Willis (in here for a very quick cameo) but generally it is inexcusably poor. This is not say I didn't enjoy myself, but this film is definitely directed towards a select audience. I think Stallone took too much onto his plate and maybe should've loosened the reigns a bit and brought some other (writing/directing) talent in.
If you like a guy getting blown in half by a shotgun, tune in....otherwise, I wouldn't bother.
June 27, 2017
A total guy's film. Explosions, fights, and guns. Plus, with an amazing cast of ass-kicking, take-name fighters and action stars (plus two very special cameos), you know you're in for a ride.
June 18, 2017
Not a movie im going to see again. . . But its watchable.
½ June 18, 2017
I thought that this movie would not be that great, but after watching it, it was amazing. The action was crazy the funny remarks were funny. And the chezzy parts made it worth it. Go see it!
June 11, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: There's just something about 'The Expendables' that keeps your? eyes on the screen and your bum in the seat, and I think the glue largely sits with its overall boldness of delivery. Yes Stallone effectively directs in a way that slaps you round the face with sheer stupidity as he relentlessly shoves the humour, action and supposed character development right down the back of your throat, and that's undoubtedly rather startling and commanding.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: There's no question however that what he's shoving down there is absolutely ridiculous, as this movie is honestly terrible. Yes forget fun summer action flick; the writing here is so atrocious that you'll be hard-pressed to avoid laughing as Statham and Stallone deliver the majority of their awful lines with a straight face. But then that's kind of the attitude of the whole movie, as it hammers everything home with a seriousness that - yes commands attention - but is also laughable when everything here is so rubbish. Seriously the action, character development (if you can call it that), plot and humour are so far off the mark that they'll likely produce laughs for all the wrong reasons.
VERDICT: 'The Expendables' certainly commands attention, but what it pushes home is so terrible that you'll probably be laughing your socks off. It might even take itself too seriously for the phrase "so bad it's good" to come in handy...
June 11, 2017
a call back to the action flicks of yester years, if your looking for deep story you are looking the the wrong place.
May 31, 2017
Old school, yes. But more boom does not make better quality. The Expendables has lots of boom, but could use some more depth and plot.
½ April 18, 2017
The Expendables brings together action movie legends but has a serve lack of humor that would give the film a bigger punch.
March 22, 2017
Kind of a dated story, more like from the 70s.
March 3, 2017
Enjoyable and silly, this movie has enough action star fantasy square offs to make any fan salivate. Jet Li vs Dolph Lundgren? Steve Austin vs. Stallone? etc etc. Deep. dark, and deliciously violent, the plot is hardly relevant, but everything violent is surprisingly satisfying.
February 25, 2017
The expendables, uh, I liked it, didn't do anything great, but it's kind of fine, I want to give it a 6/10 but it's not that good
February 6, 2017
The Expendables is a boring, cliched action movie that fails to live up to Die Hard or Lethal Weapon.