The Expendables - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Expendables Reviews

August 18, 2017
Over the top silliness to the point of parody and voyeuristic violence. That about sums up the whole movie.
½ August 12, 2017
Bad boring action packed movie starring Sylvester Stallone and other random people whom will never be a big action star like Sylvester Stallone. I know that their is a sequel and I did hear that it's way better than this so I'm intrigued because this movie is forgettable and their is not a lot of competition so I am intrigued.
August 6, 2017
Finally got round to this film so I could see what all the fuss was about.
Whilst I enjoyed the action scenes (they are very good set pieces and are endlessly enjoyable), the rest of the film just does not hold up. The plot is paper thin and almost non existent, the over-arching theme of comradery is forced and becomes of little interest, the dialogue is extremely cheesy and unfortunately the participating players don't have the acting skill to pull it off. It is awesome to see so many of the action greats of my childhood together in one place, but this also serves to highlight where their skills actually are (blowing things up and punching people). In particular the wrestlers on board are awful, neither of them lending anything to the film at all.
There are some exceptions... Mickey Rourke has a good go and I would've liked to see more from Bruce Willis (in here for a very quick cameo) but generally it is inexcusably poor. This is not say I didn't enjoy myself, but this film is definitely directed towards a select audience. I think Stallone took too much onto his plate and maybe should've loosened the reigns a bit and brought some other (writing/directing) talent in.
If you like a guy getting blown in half by a shotgun, tune in....otherwise, I wouldn't bother.
June 27, 2017
A total guy's film. Explosions, fights, and guns. Plus, with an amazing cast of ass-kicking, take-name fighters and action stars (plus two very special cameos), you know you're in for a ride.
June 18, 2017
Not a movie im going to see again. . . But its watchable.
½ June 18, 2017
I thought that this movie would not be that great, but after watching it, it was amazing. The action was crazy the funny remarks were funny. And the chezzy parts made it worth it. Go see it!
June 11, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: There's just something about 'The Expendables' that keeps your? eyes on the screen and your bum in the seat, and I think the glue largely sits with its overall boldness of delivery. Yes Stallone effectively directs in a way that slaps you round the face with sheer stupidity as he relentlessly shoves the humour, action and supposed character development right down the back of your throat, and that's undoubtedly rather startling and commanding.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: There's no question however that what he's shoving down there is absolutely ridiculous, as this movie is honestly terrible. Yes forget fun summer action flick; the writing here is so atrocious that you'll be hard-pressed to avoid laughing as Statham and Stallone deliver the majority of their awful lines with a straight face. But then that's kind of the attitude of the whole movie, as it hammers everything home with a seriousness that - yes commands attention - but is also laughable when everything here is so rubbish. Seriously the action, character development (if you can call it that), plot and humour are so far off the mark that they'll likely produce laughs for all the wrong reasons.
VERDICT: 'The Expendables' certainly commands attention, but what it pushes home is so terrible that you'll probably be laughing your socks off. It might even take itself too seriously for the phrase "so bad it's good" to come in handy...
June 11, 2017
a call back to the action flicks of yester years, if your looking for deep story you are looking the the wrong place.
May 31, 2017
Old school, yes. But more boom does not make better quality. The Expendables has lots of boom, but could use some more depth and plot.
½ April 18, 2017
The Expendables brings together action movie legends but has a serve lack of humor that would give the film a bigger punch.
March 22, 2017
Kind of a dated story, more like from the 70s.
March 3, 2017
Enjoyable and silly, this movie has enough action star fantasy square offs to make any fan salivate. Jet Li vs Dolph Lundgren? Steve Austin vs. Stallone? etc etc. Deep. dark, and deliciously violent, the plot is hardly relevant, but everything violent is surprisingly satisfying.
February 25, 2017
The expendables, uh, I liked it, didn't do anything great, but it's kind of fine, I want to give it a 6/10 but it's not that good
February 6, 2017
The Expendables is a boring, cliched action movie that fails to live up to Die Hard or Lethal Weapon.
January 26, 2017
Un grupo de mercenarios es contratado para combatir a un gobierno dictatorial en una isla. El agente de la CIA, Church (Bruce Willis) contactará con Barney Ross (Sylvester Stallone) líder de los Expendables, quienes prepraràn una compleja misión de la que saldrán victorosos. Divertida, y llama la atención por la cantidad de famosos usados como actores: Sylverster Stallone, Bruce Willis, Jet Li, Jason Statham, Mickey Rourke, Terry Crews, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Randy Couture, y Dolph Lundgren
½ January 25, 2017
Three Words, Mind Numbing Action. Stupid fun, but lacks in a coherent plot and acting is sub par from most of these legends.
December 30, 2016
Not good movie to watch
December 22, 2016
The return of Stallone and his action genre recovering the actors required from him to create the typical beats old school
November 9, 2016
Great fun to watch this unique cast!
October 16, 2016
Oct 2016 - just enough of everything, and Jason Stratham ð'?