The Expendables 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Expendables 2 Reviews

October 16, 2016
Oct 2016 - just enough of everything, and Jason Stratham ð'?
October 9, 2016
one of the best action movies ever
September 1, 2016
So much cheese... so much cheese... The only time you can see it if you're bored and need to see a lot of explosions lol
½ August 23, 2016
King of the pulpy, shoot-em-up action sub-genre, the series second installment has more jokes, more action, and the actors seem to be having a more of a blast than in the first one.
August 22, 2016
Maybe I'm not a big fan of action movies, but I do have enough knowledge about action movies to know when they're boring and have a bad plot.
½ August 19, 2016
Yeah, they're not to be taken seriously at all.
July 31, 2016
As, ahem, expendable as The Expendables 2 may be, one cannot deny the B-movie pleasures and eminent charm that comes from its old-school action and star-stuffed cast.
July 30, 2016
Fantastic sequel, Action packed from the word go, After an amazing opening 20 minutes it seemed to slow a little but kept me gripped with some funny humour, The fight scenes were done better and the kills looked better too, It was nice to see Stallone, Arnold and Willis in the same camera shot doing more than just talking, A little silly when they make fun out of each others films but still one of the best films of the year, A must see for any action fan, We have the biggest action stars of the 80's all in one film what more could you ask for.
July 27, 2016
A much better installment than last time, with better action and less 'downtime'. That being said, the movie is still too ridiculous to be taken seriously, and the dialogue is god-awful.
½ July 25, 2016
Without bruce willis and Arnold schwarznegger this movie would suck!

Score: 6.5/10
½ July 24, 2016
Me parece más divertida que la primera película, finalmente vemos a Arnold y Bruce Willis combatiendo junto con los demás. No me convence la relación Stallone/Hemsworth y Stallone/Nan Yu, Esos personajes nunca me importaron, pero al menos la historia fue más entendible y más divertida.
July 15, 2016
Better than the original with more humor and overall fun with a stellar cast of action legends. Never a dull moment just some cheesy action one liners which are always fun.
July 12, 2016
Better than the original.
½ July 4, 2016
This isn't the type of movie I would go out of my way to see, but in a way I am glad I did. Is it corny? Oh yes. Is it cliché? Very much so. But it has a certain charm, a charm harking back to the times of old when audiences ate these movies up and loved the characters as much as they loved the explosions.

The Expendables 2, for what it's worth, is a decent action smash em' all with a handful of well-known characters from the 1970's, 1980's, and 1990's. There are no intense "thriller" moments aside from some well executed fight scenes and you won't find too many twists here. You know what you're getting into, you know what the ending will inevitably end up being, but The Expendables 2 makes it tolerable enough - and at times fun - to follow along with the crew nevertheless.

Worth at least one view but don't expect too match re-watchability. This movie doesn't make you think, and that's one of my favorite parts about it. Senseless fun with the action heroes we all grew up with.

2.5 / 5
June 28, 2016
Just like the first and like the next just that 80's corny good action movie, lots of shout outs and car chase's etc.
June 21, 2016
Guilty pleasure. B.
½ June 13, 2016
Great throwback action film! Love seeing these guys on screen, doing what they do best. Thank you all, and I believe this is the best of the Expendables trilogy.
½ June 1, 2016
There back! Without sounding profoundly cynical, when something that started as a desperate last hurrah for the Hollywood's geriatric arsekickers becomes a Box office smash and new franchise vehicle for near comatose ultra-macho stereotypes, all you can do is shrug your shoulders and enjoy the silly fun aboard the escapist rollercoaster of action.

Reassembled under a single banner for yet another ballsy testosterone-fuelled adventure full of bulging biceps, bombastic bazookas and a stupendously high body count, Sylvester Stallone (66), Arnold Schwarzenegger (65), Bruce Willis (57), Dolph Lundgren (55), Jet Li (49), Randy Couture (49), Jason Statham (45) and Terry Crews (44) are joined by veterans Chuck Norris (72) and Jean-Claude Van Damme (52) and rookie Liam Hemsworth (22) in a wildly preposterous and cringe-corny offering, where its only recommendation is that it is marginally better to its 2010 predecessor.

Commissioned three months before the first installments release, the Expendables success proved Stallone's idea worked but took itself just a little too seriously under his direction. Enthusiastically welcoming Con Air Director Simon West, Expendables 2 understands its place as a ham-fisted, tongue-in-cheek blast that pokes fun at its mature-aged tough-guy hunks that play almost caricatures of their infamous selves to capitalize on audience nostalgia.

Don't worry about the plot, they sure didn't. As expected the storyline is completely incidental and irrelevant to high octane havoc, but it better be touched on all the same.

After an exquisitely over the top opening sequence, where the fearless expendable pack of mercenaries and their catchphrase ornamented armored vehicles of mass destruction scream into a Nepalese village to dispatch legions of solders and rescue an unlikely allies, Ross (Stallone) and his crew are ready for some down time.

The mandatory rest period is interrupted however when CIA agent Mr. Church (Bruce Willis) reminds Ross about an unpaid debt and the gang is conscripted to a seemingly simple extraction job and forced to accept the unwelcomed assistance of code-breaker Maggie (Nan Yu).

When one of their colleagues is cruelly murdered by the villainous Jean Vilain (Jean Claude Van Dame), with the odds stacked against them the hired guns negligently enter hostile Russian territory in single minded revenge mode.

Using brute force and zigzagging path of destruction through unfamiliar and raw land, the crew attempt to foil Vilain's plans of extracting five tons of weapons-grade plutonium from its concealed underground location and maintain the delicate balance of power in the world. With the help of a few lone friends, can they terminate Vilain? (ok, a stretching pun)

Flexing their still surprisingly taut muscles, the Kings of the '80's action workhorses unite in a genuine show of camaraderie. Rattling off an never ending barrage of self-deprecating and pricelessly cheeky one-lines in a mélange of undecipherable accents; the mono-syllabic Muscles-from-Brussels, the resonant boom of the Austrian Oak, the snarl of The Siberian Bull and the graveled drawl of The Italian Stallion, It's a veritable field-day for quote lovers.

Sidestepping the need for a spoiler alert, a collective of well-known quotes range from 'I can't get it up' to 'Track 'em, find 'em, kill 'em' and even 'If I don't get this back, you're terminated.' the fast and thick retorts are well timed. As Willis finally puts his foot down claiming "You've been back enough. I'll be back," Arnie's grinning reply "Yippee-ki-yay" is nothing less than perfect.

The Verdict: Bones may creak, hair plugs may be viable, skin may look like boot leather and their grandchildren may be old enough to see their movies unaccompanied, but these guys still have it; but what it is may be questionable. All I can say, without a shadow of a doubt ''They'll be back" and next-time will Seagal relent and round out the male pattern badness. A guilty pleasure if there ever was one.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 07/09/2012
May 22, 2016
Second time watching Nr 2 , for me the best out of the 3 ....part of it because the final fight between Sly & Van Damme ...maybe a bit a repeat of the first one ? Don't care . SOMDVD
May 14, 2016
One of the weakest action films I've seen in a while. Terrible writing, some horrible acting (especially from Schwarzenegger, who at one point botches one of Bruce Willis's best movie quotes) and some underwhelming action (like the end fight). This film had the tools to be awesome, especially with a great villainous turn from JCVD (who should have been in the film WAY more than he was), but it mostly throws away all of the positives and it ends up feeling like self-parody for these actors. If you liked the first one, you may like this. But, it's best not to take that chance (since there are so many better action movies out there instead).