The Fate of the Furious - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fate of the Furious Reviews

April 23, 2017
You have to expect a pretty dumb movie from this franchise but I found this particularly stupid. It is a series of live action and CGI action scenes, all with cars doing impossible stuff, interspersed with a few minute of badly acted and poorly written dialogue. There is nothing here that passes as plot or story or anything. Vin Diesel glowers a lot and The Rock does feats of strength and the rest of the cast mills about aimlessly. Nothing really made sense here and it ended up nowhere as expected so that yet another stupid sequel can come out next year and, yes, I'll probably go see it as I never seem to learn. Nothing to recommend, but if you like loud action and cars racing around it's what it is.
April 23, 2017
So much action!!!! I recommend you watch this if you want to see cars flying everywhere
April 23, 2017
The fate of the furious is so action packed I recommend you watch if your a fan of the last one
April 23, 2017
A great sequel to furious 7 I say furious 7 is the best and furious 8 is the second its action packed
½ April 23, 2017
As stupid and over the top as ever, The Fate of the Furious has some fun antics, punches, chases and explosions, but the franchise has gone for a long time. At this point, moments of genuine excitement are a rarity and even the appeal of the characters is wearing thin.
April 23, 2017
New york scene was the best the cars were great
April 23, 2017
The Fate of the Furious maybe fueled by a lot of the same tropes fans have come to expect but the end result is still just as entertaining over the top and just down right awesome as the films that came before it.
THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS REVIEW
I'm a pretty big fan of this franchise. I've liked pretty much all the movies in this series (although I will admit some are better than others) so as you can imagine I was excited for the Fate of the Furious. I was very interested to see where this series would go after Furious 7 and also very interested to see what Straight Outta Compton director F. Gary Gray could bring to this franchise.
First off let's talk about the cast. The cast of the Fast and Furious remains to this day one of my favourite casts of all time. Watching all these characters interact with each other is always such a treat particularly in this film. Vin Diesel as always is great in this film; I've always found the character of Dominic Torreto to be really interesting and compelling and it's honestly really emotional watching this character being forced to go up against the people he calls family and the reason for Dom actually switching sides and going up against his team is equally emotional and all the more heart breaking, which is where I really have to praise the villain of this movie. Charlize Theron as the main villain Cipher was absolutely terrifying, yes admittedly she does come across as a bond villain at times but overall Cipher for me is easily by the best villain this series has ever had. The way she manipulates and mentally tortures Dom in this movie alone shows how intimidating she really is. Her interactions with Dom in this movie always had this level suspense within them that never failed to give me goose bumps. So yeah Cipher is a really cool character in this movie and I'm interested to see where this character pops up next.
Now for everyone else. Michelle Rodriguez as par usual is fantastic in this movie I've always found the romance between her and Dom to be really touching and I think the romance between these 2 characters more realised in this film than it ever has been which I thought was really refreshing to see because that is one of the few things in the other movies that I thought needed to be fleshed out a lot more than it was. Tyrese Gibson as Roman Pearce is great in this movie. As always he makes for great comic relief and humour but overall he's really fun whenever he's on screen and almost always steels the show in terms of comedy. Ludacris is also really good in this movie. I've always enjoyed the Tej as a character in these films and I still really like him in this film. Nathalie Emmanuel as Ramsay was really good, I would have like to have seen more of her but still good performance overall. Kurt Russell was one of my favourite new additions to the franchise in Furious 7 and absolutely loved him this movie, while he doesn't have a really badass action sequence like he did 7 he is still as entertaining to watch on screen as he was in 7. I actually ended up liking Scott Eastwood a lot more than I thought I would in this movie, it was cool to see him in a role that's actually integral to the plot and his interactions with Tyrese Gibson in particular are just gold.
However it is in fact Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham that absolutely steal the show in this movie. I was laughing my ass off every time these 2 were in the same room together, the insults these 2 through at each other got funnier as the film progressed and every time it had me laughing. Also Jason Statham has an action sequence in this movie that is both badass in every possible way and absolutely Hilarious.
Speaking of the action sequences. The action in this film is unsurprisingly awesome, in particular an action sequence that takes place in prison. I really got to say I enjoyed the hand to hand combat in this film a lot more than I did in 5, 6 or 7. It was shot really well and I think they did an excellent job with the choreography in this movie. But trust me it doesn't stop there the action sequences that involve slick looking cars are also great. You see the Fast and Furious movies are basically guilty pleasure action movies that do not obey the laws of physics at all and where the characters do crazy stunts that could kill them and walk out of them without breaking a single bone while adding a surprisingly yet satisfying amount of emotional depth to the story and characters and the Fate of the Furious is no exception. The action does not obey any of the laws of physics at all and while there are people who will not like this film because of that, fans of guilty pleasure action movies and this franchise as a whole are going to absolutely love this the same way I did. I will admit the action does become a little repetitive at times but overall it is pretty entertaining.
I also really liked the visual effects in this movie. For the most part they were virtually flawless with 1 or 2 exceptions, but particularly in the final battle of this film they're pretty amazing so congrats to the visual effects team. I also have to day that this film is directed really well, its shot beautifully and thank god there absolutely no shaky in this movie at all. But really you can tell that F Gary Gray was really trying his hardest with this film and it really does pay off because I think The Fate of the Furious is the best directed Fast and Furious movie we've had.
By far the craziest action sequence involves people hacking cars and remote controlling them like there playing Forza horizon. I won't get too much into that sequence because I'll end up spoiling the movie for you but I'm just letting you know that is the most insane part of this movie.
I also really enjoyed the call backs to previous movies and characters that have been and gone in the other movies. There's actually a really emotional call back to Paul Walkers character in this movie that I'm shore is going to a tear jerker for most people, which by the way Paul, walker amazing actor may he rest piece, he was such a good actor he will be missed dearly. I also really got to say that this is definitely one of the more emotional films in this franchise. While there isn't anything that had me crying it was definitely sad watching the team go up against the one person that brought them all together in the first place and there are a lot of scenes in this movie where you really feel for this team and the decisions they are forced to make.
However unfortunately as much as I really hate to say it this isn't a perfect movie the film does admittedly have some noticeable flaws. For starters the first half of this movie is actually incredible there's actually almost nothing wrong with it but the second half of this movie while still really, really good I felt lost its emotional grip and all the sudden became a little predictable and we're then treated to all the same tropes this franchise is known for. Now in some cases that isn't a bad thing as it is still really entertaining but it's because of that the film loses some of its momentum. The film even ends almost exactly the same way as 5, 6 and 7 did. Again in some cases it's not a bad thing as it never fails to entertain it's just I was a little bit annoyed that they didn't really try anything different with how the film ended and it just felt a little rushed to me.
I also got to admit there are a few points in this movie where the characters are sitting down trying to figure out how to catch Dom and this software called Gods eye that they can use to find literally anyone in the world and that just goes on for way too long and I did get to a point during that point where I was thinking "can we please get back to car chases and Dom becoming a bad guy please?"
I also have to admit that the final battle of this movie goes on for way, way too long and while I did enjoy the final battle of the film it just dragged on for so long to the point where I actually started to get a little bored but thankfully there was enough going on in that scene to keep me entertained so I enjoyed the final battle but I think it could have been a little shorter.
I would also say that the film also has some pacing issues in the first act mainly. The first half of the movie is still the most enjoyable part of the film but I think the film got into the whole 'Dom going Rogue and betraying his team to go work with Cipher a little too quickly for my liking.
I also have to admit that while this film definitely has a strong emotional depth to it I will admit that I didn't have the same emotionally driven or compelling experience I did watching 5, 6 or 7 for that matter. All 3 of those films hit me in places I wasn't expecting them too which is part of the reason I love all 3 of those films so much but unfortunately while again there is plenty of emotional depth in this film it wasn't as strong as it was in the 5, 6 and 7 and that is due to pacing and basically using the same story elements as the last few films. They never really went anywhere different with this film in the second half.
I will admit I was a tiny bit disappointed. However The Fate of the Furious is by no stretch a bad movie it is still a fantastic movie and just as entertaining as the other movies. So despite its flaws the Fate of the Furious is yet another heart felt, entertaining and just genuinely awesome block buster that is shore to be a crowd pleaser I will admit I am disappointed that it went from an incredible movie to a pretty good movie in the second half but overall I still really enjoyed the movie and it's definitely gotten me exited for the future sequels and potential spinoffs this franchise has in store for us.
April 23, 2017
Awesome addition to the Series, just what you would expect from the franchise. Props to the Director for selecting this cast, No one will be able to fill in the shoes of Paul but the combination these actors have is just amazing
½ April 23, 2017
over the top action!! great movie
April 22, 2017
Let's be real: you are either seeing this film or you aren't. If you are, there's no stopping you, and if you aren't, there's no getting you started. Let's just say if you fall into the latter group, you don't get to see Dwayne Johnson literally torpedo a russian seperatist terrorist military vehicle while hanging off the side of his truck.
April 22, 2017
The series has an effective template - one that has been fine-tuned to an art. Therefore despite not being the best entry, it's definitely a blast to watch
½ April 22, 2017
The movie was too long! It seems like they extended it too much. I couldn't wait for it to be over! ??????
½ April 22, 2017
This Movies Was One Of The Best Movies In The Fast And The Furious Franchise! Loved The Storyline :)
Easily the best of the last 3 movies. I thought it would suck. I was very wrong
April 22, 2017
Cuba sucks. Russia is ok but China is killing the world.
April 22, 2017
What a ride! Clever fun movie can't until the next segment on 2019.
½ April 22, 2017
Good movie, incorporating the hackers world with that of a race world blended well. Great twists but it felt rushed, Dim was "Recruited" in the first 20 minutes and everything moved quickly.
April 22, 2017
beastly movie. lots of amazing action scenes, some over the top as expected, but not nearly as bad as garbo furious 7. well directed, and i don't just mean the action scenes. for the first time since the first (if that), i am listening to actual conversations between the characters, not just exposition and one-liners. actually made me feel like they were real ppl. and there were actually emotional moments that hit right, and weren't super cheesy. really cool twist on the typical premise. i miss paul walker, but they made the smart move to compensate by giving statham a bigger role. (1 viewing)
April 22, 2017
Movie had solid acting amazing action senses and very well jokes. BEST MOVIE OF 2017
½ April 22, 2017
Very good story. Must watch.