The Favourite - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Favourite Reviews

March 22, 2019
I really enjoyed this film... but I'm a sucker for period pieces.
March 21, 2019
In typical Lanthimos fashion, this is an unyieldingly dark, clever and hilarious film that explores some fascinating character flaws.
March 21, 2019
To much tounge in cheek but acted well and beautifully shot.
March 21, 2019
A wickedly, mercilessly funny period piece about the surprising behind-the-scenes sexual politics that can happen when men are off at war. All three lead actresses give stunning performances and the cinematography is beyond stylish. Personally I enjoy it when the trailers don't give away all of the major plot points, and this film is filled with curve balls compared to its previews.
½ March 20, 2019
The movie of the duel of the performances. Well directed, acted, written, adapted to the time. It is not a story based 100% on reality. Its purpose is to transmit emotions caused The movie of the duel of the performances. Well directed, acted, written, adapted to the time. It is not a story based 100% on reality. Its purpose is to transmit emotions caused by human behavior and to see the way in which people manipulate to reach their tasks. Whether it's survival or politics.
Spoiler Alert.
The fight of the cousins for the attention of the queen goes from comedy to disaster. Queen Anne seeks to obtain attention and fill the void of losing all her children. That role is perfectly played by her friend and lover Sarah, who is also the one who really carries the politics of the reign. Her cousin Abigail, who lost all economic position, finds a way to put Sarah against the queen, without counting, that although she obtains the desired thing, she is only the shadow of her cousin, something that we can see while changing the scenes of the rabbits (representing the substitution of the children) and the queen making him clean the shoes. Making it clear, that she is nothing more than the unwanted substitution of her cousin.
½ March 20, 2019
The camerawork and costumes were amazing. Everything else was atrocious: profanity, disgusting sex scenes, storyline... I couldnt even make it halfway through without turning it off. It could have been a good movie without all that.
March 20, 2019
Not just another 'period piece'. The film was an original with great dialogue and fully realized characters elevated by the great performances of the three lead actresses.
March 19, 2019
I was very disappointed in the movie after all the hype and nominations. Thought the acting was and quite annoying. Also, thought Emma Stone's acting was much better than Colmans. I felt I wasted 2 hrs of my time.
½ March 18, 2019
Horrendous Movie. Offensive, especially women. Was so disappointed in the storyline...and felt disgusted for watching it. Just because the acting is good, doesn't mean it's a movie worth watching.
March 18, 2019
Wonderful movie, I'd describe it as deliciously poisonous. My favorite film of 2018.
March 18, 2019
A quirky historical film to say the least, Rachel Weisz and Emma Stone shine as dueling mistresses in 18th century England. A perfect combination of history, speculation and dry humor set this time piece apart from others.
March 17, 2019
I hated this movie so much. I don't know how it even got Oscar attention. I was so disappointed in Emma Stone. I could go on and on. But please Emma do better next time!!
March 17, 2019
The Favourite is without a doubt an unconventional movie. It may not be for everyone, (I, for one, wasn't on board), but it's still a movie well directed with such incredible performances by the three lead actresses.
½ March 17, 2019
This movie is absolute garbage. The fact that it was even nominated for an Oscar is embarrassing. A complete and utter waste of time.
March 17, 2019
Director Yorgos Lanthimos is known for some very weird films: Dogtooth (2009), The Lobster (2015), and The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017). These films are all very Ôhigh conceptÔ? and never less than interesting and intriguing (if not always fully successful). So, I was surprised when I discovered his most recent film was a British period drama Ô" the early 1700s, an era of high curly wigs and extreme foppishness (see Peter GreenawayÔ(TM)s The DraughtmanÔ(TM)s Contract, 1982, for another example). Queen Anne ruled (from 1702 to 1714) and she is played in the film by Olivia Colman who won the Best Actress Oscar for her frumpy, childish, but self-aware monarch. Everyone else at court is trying to manipulate Anne or curry her favour, including sexually. At the start of the film, her ÔfavouriteÔ? is Lady Sarah of Marlborough (Rachel Weisz) who uses her association with the queen (friend and lover) to her advantage by acting for the queen in parliament and generally ruling the roost. When Abigail (Emma Stone), SarahÔ(TM)s cousin (who has lost her nobility due to a wanton father), shows up begging for a place as a servant, no one could expect the political and personal machinations that she sets in train. Every critic mentions All About Eve (1950) which also featured a combative female rivalry between a faux-na├»ve ing├ (C)nue and a salty veteran and itÔ(TM)s not far wrong. The script here (by Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara) is similarly biting but also far more ribald. You never quite know who will end with the upper hand and the experience of humiliation is rife -- for all the central characters (including the men who race ducks in their wigs and make-up, relegated to minor parts). In this way, Lanthimos captures the current zeitgeist where we see women moving to take and exert power, forging alliances when they need to, often acting pragmatically and cynically but sometimes acting sincerely and from the heart (those who do not get their comeuppance). In the end, it is hard to ferret whether there is a verdict about gender relations or human relations here, but it is enough to enjoy the wicked tete-a-tete (a tete) set among the beautifully set decorated environs, shot with natural light, and marvellous tracking shots. Lanthimos canÔ(TM)t help but thrown in a few very weird moments as well. Thumbs up!
March 16, 2019
Olivia Colman was the highlight. The sexual themes (which was a pivotal plot) were portrayed in a clumsy and obvious manner. Instead of being ´┐ 1/2 1/2taken away´┐ 1/2 1/2? into Queen Anne´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)s world, I wasn´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)t often bored and disappointed - checking the timer in hopes it was ending. Emma had a decent performance. This movie had moments of hilarity and entertainment but not enough to warrant high reviews. I´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)m not sure what movie the critics saw and feel like they had to give high marks due to the unexpected theme. Could have been so much better.
½ March 16, 2019
The dialogue is entertaining and the film is well made, but in the end, you struggle to rationalize the point of it all.
A Masterwork that remember us to Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon
March 16, 2019
What the hell did I just watch. I don´┐ 1/2(TM)t understand the positive reviews and praise this movie received. Having seen films like Amadeus, Dangerous Liaisons I understand many historical liberties that are taken in creating historical fiction and even creating parody like history. However this films seems to not know where it wasn´┐ 1/2(TM)t to go or what it wants to be. Does it want to be a comedy, a drama a lesbian romp com or something else. The film itself goes all over the place at times and takes too long to pick up any speed or even do anything interesting. I do however hate how they made Queen Ann into a crazy and at times a whining child and yes even a lesbian to fulfill some agenda for inclusion or to score ´┐ 1/2woke´┐ 1/2┬? points. This film is filled with so many historical inaccuracies. If the film creators were going for a historical lesbians romp com, why didn´┐ 1/2(TM)t they have to make the characters petty and fighting for the affection of the queen. Seriously hasn´┐ 1/2(TM)t this been done before except the women are fighting to gain favor form a man. It´┐ 1/2(TM)s almost insulting to lesbians that they are being showcased to appear petty and childish. The men in this movie are either extremely stupid or just plain disgusting and disrespectful to women and treated as lowlifes by the main characters in this film. I do not understand how Olivia Colman won the Oscar for lead. She was fine but there wasn´┐ 1/2(TM)t much there as far as depth to her character also the film didn´┐ 1/2(TM)t even showcase her too much nor was she the main focus of the film. She has more of her appearances in the later half of the film. This film is very overrated, it could have been better but I feel the writers and director didn´┐ 1/2(TM)t dive deeper into whatever they wanted.
½ March 16, 2019
Good luck trying to stay awake during this awful movie. Seems like a severe lack of an internal filter throughout this process. Too many yes men, and no one brave enought to question the final product.