The Frozen Ground - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Frozen Ground Reviews

½ January 25, 2016
Nicolas Cage delivers a good performance, but The Frozen Ground simply does not feel biographical whatsoever.
January 17, 2016
how i never heard about be4
January 9, 2016
A serial killer police procedural with Cage. What's there not to like ?
December 29, 2015
Pretty good but some parts didn't make sense and were a little boring
December 8, 2015
Based on a true story of Alaskan State Troopers trying to solve the case of serial killer Robert Hansen. I thoroughly enjoyed this crime thriller (as I do many) from start to finish. Nicolas Cage and John Cusack are awesome as Jack Halcombe (Cage) and Hansen (Cusack). Cusack's depiction of Hansen was so methodical and he can really pull off the twisted individual very well. Vanessa Hudgens was also very good and the rest of the cast is stellar. I kind of laughed at 50 Cents character though lol. Seeing him with long, straight hair was pretty funny. The cinematography was also great. I love films that have a snowy setting. All in all, I thought The Frozen Ground was a pretty good film
½ December 7, 2015
This is a perfect example of why television is better than film in modern times. Despite it being a gruesome true story, there is little empathy or engagement with any of the characters and it plays as a fairly pedestrian serial killer by numbers movie. You have to ask, what was the point?
September 24, 2015
GRIPPING | INTENSE | REALISTIC (85-out-of-100)
September 23, 2015
Gritty thriller with a more subtle performance from Cage. There is very little of intrigue here though with the end result quite evident from early on.
September 12, 2015
Okay for a crime drama.
½ August 30, 2015
Good movie. Cage/Cusak gave good performances.
July 28, 2015
The Frozen Ground features some big name actors and that will catch your eye. However, this mystery/crime thriller stays by the books and never really amps up the intensity or the fun until the final 15 minutes. The acting is solid (yes, even Nicolas Cage) and John Cusack plays a great bad guy. I always dislike it when shortly into the movie you know who the killer is even if it creates a little cat and mouse game like this one. It was a little slow at times but it had its moments where a clue was found or something discovered and it pulled my attention back in. There are much worse Crime Dramas out there right now so this isn't a bad choice if your looking for a little Cage action and a serial killer mystery set in Alaska.
July 24, 2015
Spent so much time tracking a clever killer but so little time for him to confess. Yet it is based on a true story and is rather terrifying when the genuine pictures of the victims were shown at the end of the movie.
July 5, 2015
This is a solid movie. Well acted, well directed, interesting location. And I like true crime movies just like I enjoy true crime books. This
movie deserves a higher rating.
June 28, 2015
Can't believe John wasn't the hero. Forgettable film.
½ May 31, 2015
Prostitutes, Crazy serial killer, Dark cold night, and believable acting, all go for a slightly above average film.
May 27, 2015
It's about time Nicolas Cage decided to try again, and The Frozen Ground is proof that there is still a good actor behind the craziness. The film retells the hunt for a serial killer in Alaska. As of late, both Nicolas Cage and John Cusack have been turning in beyond lazy performances, especially John Cusack with his straight to DVD ventures. But here, both actors deliver in fine form, and help elevate this film above it's television movie feel. That's the biggest problem I had with this film. It all plays out like an extended episode of Law & Order or CSI. There isn't much of anything that is special or that hasn't been seen before. Other than that glaring issue, the film is good, and should act as nothing more than proof that these two actors are still good, they just need to give the effort.
May 9, 2015
Dark and gripping, entertaining film based on true events
½ May 8, 2015
This is a pretty good movie! Even Nicolas Cage, who I think is a terrible actor, is okay. A serial killer is loose in Alaska and Cage has to catch him. Some plot holes, and strange police procedures, but it held my attention and was interesting. I really liked the photo tribute at the end. That was well done!
½ May 6, 2015