The Gang of Four (La Bande des Quatre) Reviews

John B Super Reviewer
    Jan 04, 2012

Required viewing for those who want roommates :)

Required viewing for those who want roommates :)

• Mar 28, 2008

Once again, the three concentric themes, metaphors of our modern condition, paraded out with the same significance: women, theater, conspiracy. Yes, it's just another typical day in Rivette-land, but then, people who like such a place will find much to like in this movie. Those who don't shouldn't see it in the first place; those who've never been there should try one of his earlier movies first. In those films, there is an external world, however dark and mysterious, for the characters to sound off against; in "Gang of Four," everything is internal, in utero (you have to dig the Bergmanian red of the theater), hermetic even. If there is no escape for the characters, there is also no entry for spectator, unless she can find a way onto the stage through one of Rivette's other movies. The film, then, is another dream in Rivette's endless nocturnal reverie, a lucid electrifying nightmare, but one which will appear meaningless unless you bring yourself to it prepared; those who understand it may not find enlightenment, but they will find recognition. (Actually, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. The point is, the movie kicked ass, and if you like Rivette's other shit, you should see this one too.)

• Dec 13, 2007

Two and a half hours of interminable scenes of actresses practicing for a play and in the end I didn't even really understand what the movie was about.

• Nov 19, 2007

Pas le plus connu des Rivette mais mon préféréé, ludique et grave à la fois.

Pas le plus connu des Rivette mais mon préféréé, ludique et grave à la fois.

• Sep 04, 2007

Such great performances. Very theatrical in its setting

Such great performances. Very theatrical in its setting

• Jun 29, 2007

Is it really two hours and forty minutes? You'd never know. The actresses are fantastic, and even the scenes about acting don't feel repetitive, though they're repeatedly continually. My only problem was the sole male main character being made out to be a sham too early.

• Feb 27, 2006

[url="http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gang_of_four/dvd.php?select=1"][img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/coverv/67/189567.jpg[/img][/url] Beautiful, and probably well-acted, but not my cup of tea. Too long. Little action. Felt as if I was wasting my time.