The Grey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Grey Reviews

January 6, 2017
Don't judge a book by its cover seems to be the theme of the day when reviewing The Grey.

It's always amused me that Liam Neeson having actively most of his life made it clear his hatred of violence has now, in the last decade, ironically become a middle aged action icon (Taken, Unknown, A-Team, Taken 2).

With The Grey's whole poster consisting of Neeson's angry face and with the tagline "Live or die on this day" it could be fairly obvious what type of Liam Neeson film were about to watch, however, upon viewing you soon discover this is not the case.

The Neeson casting itself could have been more of a favour to A-Team Director Joe Carnahan (Narc), who originally had other A-Team star Bradley Cooper in mind for the lead. Neeson's extra years certainly work better in the role, which lends more conviction to the film's theme than I think younger but capable Cooper would have brought.

However ironically the presence of Neeson is also what has lead to the misconception of the film's genre through its poster marketing. Presented as an action film (Based on its star's current appeal) rather than the Thriller/Drama of which it truly is.

Neeson plays a Huntsman who protects oil drillers from attacks of wolves but begins the film a broken man hoping for death and attempting suicide.

The story revolves around a group of the oil drillers, who after finishing their last job are flying home only to crash down in Alaska. The survivors now lead by the huntsman (Neeson) have a new danger in the form of dangerous Grey Wolves whose territory they have accidentally invaded, who begin to pick the group off one by one.

The film follows alot of movie clichés that you would expect from Hollywood such as;
A) Plane crash predicament leading to a survival mission.
B) Each member of the group being picked off one by one in almost a slasher style layout.
C) The protagonist happens to be an experienced huntsman, and they happen to be hunted by wolves.

Where The Grey differs is the way in which the material is handled by Joe Carnahan who also co-wrote the script with Ian Mckenzie, who wrote the short story The Ghost Walker, which the film is based from. He takes the familiar scenes and alternates the way they are played out with dark undertones.

The moment our first casualty is fatally injured, screaming in pain, confused colleagues trying to help to save him, Neeson's character steps in to help... but not in the way you would expect. Instead of reassuring him and attempting to save him, he levels with him and explains that he his beyond help and will shortly die. He then tenderly explains the most peaceful way to embrace his passing, to think of his loved ones and stays with him, talking him through his body's shut down as death takes him in front of stunned colleagues.

Helping the Director concentrate on the story telling aspect is the fact the budget is a modest (For Hollywood) $25 million which helps when propelling story not spectacle which is certainly the tone set here.

The writers invested alot in character development, giving all the supporting cast personality and purpose. They all have different traits, extra details that make them valuable to watch. They bond together in one part of the film by exchanging personal stories. Neeson's contribution is a story of his late father, who despite his toughened demeanor was a fan of poetry. He recites his Father one and only poem, which despite never grasping it's meaning has never been forgotten by Neeson;
"Once more into the fray...
Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
Live and die on this day...Live and die on this day..."

The writer's invest in the all the supporting characters for a tactical purpose which becomes more apparent as the film goes on, in order to propel its final message. The tact involved is to slowly make you like and respect the survivors, then allow them to have a horrible grim demise. Perhaps one of the most haunting moments comes after one likable character has fallen to his near death, whilst laying there drifting in and out consciousness. He sees his young daughter come to him and affectionately console him, but in horrifying reality he is actually seen being eaten alive by wolves.

This is certainly not an overly jolly film, but then again plane crash survivors being hunted by wolves in arctic conditions never was going to be.
Outcome

The outcome of the films very vibe is profound in itself when at the start Neeson's character believes he has nothing to live for and wishes to die, but by the end when he actually has nothing to live for he then wishes to live and fight. That is a character transition worth the watch. This transition point is heightened by an abrupt fast cut ending, which leaves some audience members feeling ripped off, but if you got the filmmakers message then any other outcome would derive from the film's message... live and die on this day. The outcome makes no difference the message is there and Neeson's character takes it firmly by the reigns.

P.S
However if anyone is feeling curious, there is sneak clip at the end of the credits giving a teaser of the film's conclusion.
½ December 26, 2016
The Grey hits the well worn path of survival movies but injects it with stellar cinematography and philosophical musing that is interwoven in the very fabric of survival and nature.
½ December 2, 2016
The Grey was definitely with seeing. It may not have been that original, and the premise was really pushing the audience's credibility, but it was a good movie nonetheless.
½ November 20, 2016
I hate dogs, wolves, shit like that..I'm a cat person and i would rather see a killing of all this wolf pack in the end..
October 22, 2016
I was really surprised by this film. It looked like Non Stop with wolves but it's actually a great survival film. Be sure to check for the post credits scene.
October 8, 2016
Warning: This Review May Contain Spoilers

If you look at my profile then you'll see that all of my reviews are one paragraph. I was just going to write another paragraph for this review but I think it's necessary to go into detail a bit.

The audience is divided over this one. On one side, people are calling it unrealistic. And on the other side, people are praising it for its philosophical agenda. I'm going to cover both sides of the argument.

Firstly, I'll address some of the hate. I admit that this movie is unrealistic. The way the wolves behave aren't correct. However, I think that point is invalid. Keep in mind that this is just a work of fiction. It's not a documentary from the discovery channel. As long as it's not pretending to be 100% accurate, I see no problem with it.

Also, I also feel that the argument has a bit of hypocrisy to it. Let me explain. Take the movie Jaws. In real life, sharks don't kill as many people as possible. But, when I look at reviews of Jaws, I don't see people complaining about the accuracy. Both of these movies have flaws about a type of animal yet only this movie receives hate. I don't get that. You can't call out this movie for being unrealistic and ignore it when Jaws does it. If you look at my profile then you would see that I gave Jaws a 10/10 so obviously suspension of disbelief didn't affect my review of that movie. I'm also going to ignore the errors for this review because it really didn't bother me that much.

If you want to hate this movie for having these errors then I'm fine with that as long as you say the same things about Jaws and other movies that have the same errors.

Another big point people are bringing up for why they hate the film is the ending. After Liam is the last survivor, he comes face to face with the alpha wolf and just as they're about to fight, the movie ends. Some people dislike this because they wanted to see the outcome of the fight. But what many don't know is the scene that plays after the credits. After the credits, we do get to see the outcome of the fight. We see Liam and the wolf both laying on the ground. So the movie's ending is ambiguous.

Some people still may not like that which is understandable. But again, I see some hypocrisy in that as well. Take the ending of the 2010 movie "Inception". In the end, it appears that Dom is going to be reunited with his kids but the last shot shows the spinning top and it doesn't show us whether he woke up or is still dreaming. The movie cut out but no one complained that the movie didn't show us the ending. Everyone seemed to be okay with it. My point is that you can't complain about this movie's ending and ignore it when "Inception" and other movies have ambiguous endings. I like endings with ambiguity so I enjoyed this movie's ending. If you didn't then fine. Just don't let other movies get free passes.

Now it's time for the positive parts. I strongly agree with the philosophical points. This movie is pretty philosophical. We kept on seeing glimpses of a woman and Liam in bed. The woman kept saying "Don't be afraid". He also said in the beginning that he can't be with her because she left him. So I assumed they divorced. But at the end, it shows that she was in a hospital bed and she died. I think that's a great scene because it lets us relate with him.

Now there's that poster line that read "Live and die on this day". This has a lot of meaning to it and it sums up the movie. It means that every single one of us no matter who or where we are will have only one day, that upon which we will both live and die. It's up to us what we choose to do while we live on that day, but death will find us regardless.

Liam Neeson does an excellent job of conveying so much. Everything about this moment, where he carried the emotional weight and legacy of all those men (symbolized in their wallets) and he was willing to fight vicariously for them, against this literal and metaphorical beast before him, embodies the traits of a man. The willingness to face adversity; the will to press on with life, despite its numerous vicissitudes, is life's ultimate purpose. There is no goal at the end of this. It's the struggle that imbues life with meaning and significance. I really love that scene.

Also, "Into the Fray" is a really fitting song for that scene.

I cared a lot about Liam Neeson because of that. Unfortunately, I can't say the same with all the other men. At the end, we saw their wallets and we found out that they had families and that was supposed to make us care for them. However, the scene happens in the final few minutes and the movie didn't give me enough time to make any real connections with them in those few minutes.

Also, this movie has a ton of swearing. It's rare for this to be a flaw in a movie. However, I felt like the movie was forcing a lot of the curse words in it and much of them felt very unnecessary.

In conclusion, I think all of the people giving it low scores need to stop and think about the message the movie's trying to convey. The movie did play second fiddle with the other survivors and the action sequences were a bit tiresome for me but it's still a great movie.
½ August 11, 2016
powerful, gripping; sticks with you long after seeing it
July 31, 2016
Gripping and emotional in every way, "The Grey" is a survival movie led my misleading marketing tactics, but certainly deserves a lot of recognition.

A group of oil rig workers become stranded in the frozen wilderness after their plane crashes. Besides freezing and lack of food, their primary threat turns out to be a ravenous pack of wolves. It becomes a fight for survival as each character must fight until the very end.

"The Grey" is not only my second favorite movie of all time, but is an amazing movie at that. Sadly, this film was plagiarized by misleading marketing tactics that portrayed this to be a false action film. The reality of the matter is that this film is a gripping tale of survival and the fight that fuels a man's survival. It's a deeper character study that's dark and slow, and it is definitely not some action flick. I personally think that if the trailers were different, this movie would've received a lot more positive reviews. For now though, this is why I think this movie is a fantastic film.

First off, Liam Neeson is perfect as the lead character "Ottway". He brings the physicality and the emotional balance to his character that makes him an intelligent and relatable protagonist. Neeson takes the role and owns it, easily creating one of his most memorable performances to this date. The rest of the cast, although some expendables, all filled their roles really well. Frank Grillo is able to bring a sympathetic side to his character while really bringing out the "asshole" personnel of his character. Guys like Dermot Mulroney and Dallas Roberts also did great in their roles, and the rest of the supporting cast filled in nicely.

The screenplay, in my opinion, was actually very clever and filled with meaningful dialogue. I normally don't appreciate movies that fill their lines with a plethora of curse words, but it felt kind of natural for the characters and the situation at hand. It's definitely sore to the ears at first but after watching this film almost a dozen times, it certainly becomes more comfortable. The character development we get from the dialogue is actually very interesting and helps you attach to the characters at hand, and this movie really does a great job of digging deep into what fuels a man in his quest for survival. All of these characters want to live, and they all fight for something different.

The story overall is a powerful and underrated exposition that left a bigger mark on my life than I ever thought it would. When I first watched this movie just four years ago, I was so captivated and stunned. The more I thought about the film, the more heartbreaking and impactful it became. It has had such an impact that I am even getting one the film's quotes tattooed on my body, which is saying a lot. If you really dig deep into this movie, it's one that you can appreciate a lot more.

The thing I absolutely hate is when people either say something is "trash" or just "amazing". What makes something complete trash? I feel it's not only disrespectful, but unintelligent and arrogant to call something trash just because it's different or you don't completely understand it. It's perfectly fine if people don't like a movie, but it's different when they can't back that reason up. Due to misleading advertisements, many people didn't give this movie a fair shot or meaningful analysis and this film did receive a lot of hate. I just ask that if you do watch this film, give it the due respect of analyzing it to the best of your ability, then make your judgement from there. Rant over, now let's continue.

The visuals and use of certain camera shots were not only very creative, but it sent chills down my spine. (Minor, minor spoiler) There was one scene where the men were huddled around a fire at the crash site. They then hear the deep growl of a beast, so they grab a fire stick and walk over to investigate. In the dark lies a pair of haunting, glowing eyes, then more eyes start to appear around them. It was shots like these that were so creative using their low budget and it made the film very unique in a way. There are plenty of survival movies out there and plenty of Man Vs. Wild adventures, but it's moments like these that make the film memorable.

The soundtrack was also chilling and beautiful orchestrated, setting the tone and the scenes very well. I felt that it matched the film perfectly and it really emphasized and added onto the scenes rather than detract from them.

There are so many amazing and beautiful things about this movie that I absolutely loved, and this movie has had such a big impact on my life mentally. I was so affected by this movie after the credits rolled that I couldn't even think straight, and this is why it's my second favorite movie of all time.
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
A film I was wanting to see but never really got round to it and now I've seen it I don't know why I waited so long, The story was complete opposite of what I thought, I was expecting Liam Neeson survives a plane crash has OTT fights with a pack of wolves gets rescued and the end, But what you get is an amazingly told survival film gripping from start to finish, Brilliantly acted by all the cast, The wolves arn't really the main story it was about having the courage to continue in life or death situations, Liam Neesons best performace on screen any day of the week, I did feel that they gave his character too much back story but in the end it worked brilliantly to how the film finished, Don't expect an action film you will be disappointed and in my opinion it ended perfect, Happy endings are best left in the 90's.
½ July 16, 2016
Suspensful, thrilling survival drama with strong performance from Liam Neeson. The movie cleverly describe the characters, feelings and emotions of people in survival-mode.
July 10, 2016
This movie will undoubtedly do for wolves what "Jaws" did for sharks. An edge-of-your-seat thriller with some of the most suspenseful scenes in any modern movie. Liam Neeson is a force of nature in this stunning film. The wolves are beyond scary.
½ July 6, 2016
If for nothing, I love this movie for not having god react to human shoutings!! A delicate refreshing move towards atheism/agnosticism for mainstream movies. The story is simple but the narration is gripping - after the first 15-20 minutes.
July 3, 2016
One of the worst movies I have ever seen, phony.
June 28, 2016
An exceptionally well-crafted allegorical and philosophical thriller.
½ June 26, 2016
One of many of the 'Man Vs Nature' sub-genre, The Grey is about a team crash landing in a snowstorm and having to survive a pack of wolves as they try to hunt them down. Whilst not a perfect survival movie, this is a darn good one albeit a super depressing tale. This is probably Neeson's best role from his recent films due to his character being very complex and damaged. The supporting cast also had back story and we slowly get to know each one as the film goes on. However, during these scenes the film does slow down so there are a few pacing issues. The wolves are brutal, clever and (after watching the film) down right frightening. Being set in Alaska and during a snowstorm, it can be difficult to see during some scenes but it isn't that bad that it ruins the film. Overall, this is a quality film and definitely a highlight in Neeson's filmography.
½ June 9, 2016
91% An engaging and intensely entertaining film of survival with fleshed out characters and beautifully haunting settings.
½ June 1, 2016
A great survival movie that is a little unbelievable at times, but Liam Neeson more than makes up for it with a excellent performance that is gritty and down to earth. Great movie, this one will be remembered by viewers quite a while after they see it.
May 30, 2016
boring, slow and low budget. we never get to care about any characters. definitely a shame for liam neeson filmography.
½ May 21, 2016
The Grey features a fantastic Liam Neeson and a great setting. It's frightening, realistic and more emotionally powerful than what some will expect.
April 23, 2016
Not bad as an on-land version of Jaws. Stranded in the wild subzero Alaskan wilderness, chased by a pack of vicious wolves which were not easy to see. Too much dialogues which the director tried to bring up calm moments as contrast to sudden attacks.