The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society Reviews

• Nov 03, 2019

Reviewed 10.21.19 This Netflix movie release is serviceable date night fodder. It's a classic romantic drama with an additional mysterious twist. Haters will point out its white glove approach to WWII tragedy, but history need not traumatize. We all know about Nazi atrocities, no need to experience them in gruesome detail. Viewers get the gist. It ain't Casablanca but with high production values enhancing the lush surroundings, and a cast loaded with underrated actors, it finds its niche. The female actors really steal the show in this one. Lily James, as Juliet Ashton, excels in emoting equal parts independent woman and kind hearted romantic. Alongside are Penelope Wilton as the long suffering Amelia, and Katherine Parkerson as Isola, Guernsey's own lady in waiting. For those that aren't keeping track, both James and Wilton appeared on Downton Abbey. Along with Jessica Brown Findlay as the missing Elizabeth, and Matthew Goode as Juliet's devoted agent Sidney, it's practically a Downton reunion. Culled from the best selling novel with the same wacky name, it serves up warm comfort pie for fans of the genre.

• Oct 29, 2019

A breathtaking movie with enough of a plotline to keep the viewer enthralled throughout it. Lily James gives another outstanding performance.

• Sep 18, 2019

The Potato Peel Pie Society is a hidden success in the failed world of Direct to DVD. It's a heartwarming and satisfying experience with a great performance from Lily James.

• Aug 24, 2019

Bravo! an excellent film. the English have once again taken the screen away from the Americans Lets hope that they never relinquish their Grip Again America has had it's chance so many times but always chooses to follow the path of least resistance and indulge in vulgar, crass, inane and ultimately worthless "art" for the sake of a quick buck. thus the comic book hero film genre that will soon have driven every connoisseur of art out of the cinema irretrievably. and if you got tired because of the long title it might help if you took a remedial reading course so that you no longer have to sound each word out by syllable.

• Aug 24, 2019

How disappointing to have so much changed or missing from the book. I was excited to watch it so I could piece together everything I was imagining.

• Aug 17, 2019

This film adaptation of the novel of the same name by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows serves as a palatable cut-and-dried hodgepodge of courageousness, romance, mystery and bookwormery gladdened by a consummate ensemble performance.

• Jul 22, 2019

A cast of strong, resilient souls brought to life by wonderfully talented people.

• Jul 15, 2019

Predictably fine. Location is the best part.

Predictably fine. Location is the best part.

• May 15, 2019

A great Movie to watch if you cannot sleep, for a girls-night or other activities where the main focus isn't the movie. The plot has potential on being something more than a typical WW2-Lovestory, but it does not use it. There are too many plotholes and random prop- and filming mistakes to watch it fully without cringing. The movie is Comfort Food- nothing more, nothing less.

• Apr 13, 2019

I truly enjoyed The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society. (I think that this is the first movie title that I genuinely can't pronouns). It is a story of love, friendship, war and ambition. The film location and the costumes were beautiful and the acting was great. Filled with characters you can't help but fall in love with. Some scenes are light and easy going while the next few scenes tell the saddest stories. This movie found the perfect balance between it all. Playing not only with your emotions but with your heart as well, if you ask me. I for sure am watching it again, as soon as possible.