The Hero - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hero Reviews

½ November 5, 2017
***THE NEW SWEET & SPICY AARP BARBECUE SAUCE, THE PERFECT PARTNER FOR YOUR RIBS***
November 5, 2017
A waste of a good actor's talents. The script sucks. This could have been a good one.
November 4, 2017
The Wrestler starring Sam Elliot. Are there any original ideas in Hollywood anymore?
½ October 30, 2017
Sam Elliot, given more opportunities to cry in 92 minutes than throughout his entire career, stars in The Hero, a film of long, pensive stares, dead silence, second chances, trying to make things right etc, etc, etc. It's a tale as old as time and as recognisable as Mr Elliot's fantastic moustache. We've had plenty of aging actors who end up starring in the 'Over the hill, looking back on life' storyline. Bill Murray, Jeff Bridges, Jack Nicholson, all of them have done films like this in the past. Sam Elliot does turn in a great performance and is more affecting than he's possibly ever been, but there's just so little for him to work with. It took 2 screenwriters to essentially copy the script of Crazy Heart, just switching the faded singer for the faded actor. The acting is the best part of it, with some nice supporting roles provided by Laura Prepon and Nick Offerman, but there was so much more these actors could have been doing with their time. Films like this are in no short supply, and while The Hero isn't terrible by any means, it's far from the best example. Watch About Schmidt instead.
October 30, 2017
Well shot and acted...but watching Elliot get high and mope is not for all tastes...it is redeemed by one hell of a good poem reading.
October 26, 2017
Who can resist Sam Elliot's captivating suave deep voice? He is handsome for a 70+ year old but a bit past due for me. The story was uninspiring. The movie in itself was slow and unexceptional.
½ October 23, 2017
Strictly a Sam Elliot vehicle. It is full of pensive looks, pulling back of his ample hair and under stated dialogue. It could have been so much more. It appeared as though they needed all the pregnant pauses to make it last 90 minutes. Very unfulfilling for a great actor.
½ October 23, 2017
Not as good as I was hoping, but still worth watching.
October 23, 2017
I was really looking forward to this movie. And while it was good acting and parts I did like, overall it was kind of boring..... not to mention it's hard not to think of him as his role in The Ranch.
October 23, 2017
Tremendous performances.
October 20, 2017
I don't know for a fact it was written for Sam Elliott, but it seems that way. Sam Elliott is an enjoyable actor and he's pretty good in this - but it is a pretty mediocre movie. Old guy dealing with mortality, trying to repair mistakes of the past especially with family yada yada. It has a short running time and it was not actually difficult to get through - but I am borderline thumbs down anyway. Some poorly conceived and executed scenes in there - like the speech that goes viral (which doesn't ring true at all) - the poetry reading - worse, the stand-up comedy act of the girl. Whole lotta staring at waves. Yeah Sam is good and so is Nick Offerman - but big picture, gotta go thumbs down. 4.9 out of 10
October 20, 2017
This is a decent film with a good performance by Sam Elliott, with some tender and deep emotional moments in it. However, I thought it dragged a bit and was repetitive at times, including a frequent return to views of the Pacific Ocean on a softly overcast day as the breakers washed up on the sand. The relationship with a younger woman, played moderately well by Laura Prepon, is somewhat far-fetched but serves a purpose in filling the emotional void of the character Lee who is approaching the end of his life. Lee is generally terse and moody, depending on Elliott's soulful stares and subtle acting to convey his melancholy. I was hoping for a little more from this film, but it's certainly worth watching, though I suspect it will appeal most to those who are past middle age (as I am).
½ October 18, 2017
3.5/5.0 stars - Grade: B+
October 16, 2017
Excellent, excellent acting. Found the story telling to be slow and incomplete. Still worth watching
October 14, 2017
Didn't really hold my attention. Actually I fell asleep. I expected more from this movie. A tear maybe?
October 10, 2017
Sam Elliott truly is a national treasure. What a beautiful story and well made move. This one goes into my collection to see time and again.
½ October 9, 2017
As much as I love San Elliot and Laura Prepon.... this movie was so slow it was hard to watch to the end. The story line was great though.
October 7, 2017
Good acting poor plot. Not worth it.
October 7, 2017
Slow, but good enough story to keep you watching.