The Iron Lady Reviews

• Nov 02, 2019

It's impressive how Streep performs in this film in the role of Margaret Thatcher. The film gives an interesting view on Thatcher herself, famous and notorious for her politics, though the storyline isn't as compelling as one might think it would be.

• Aug 31, 2019

From the opening scene until the end - this is an excellent movie!

From the opening scene until the end - this is an excellent movie!

• Aug 25, 2019

I wasn't a fan of the format the movie chose to follow. I don't mind flashbacks but when there's one seemingly every two minutes (there's even a flashback within a flashback) it makes the storytelling choppy. It takes about thirty minutes or so for the movie to calm down and by then it was too late to get me invested in it. The make-up used to turn Streep into old Maggie was not the best. And didn't poor Mark Thatcher get the shaft from this movie.

• Aug 09, 2019

A great bio-film of the former UK prime minister. It’s not political theater but, rather, a look into how every part of life intertwined with the next and the next. A scene near the end of the film is heartbreaking. Meryl Streep is extraordinary as Thatcher. I can watch this film over and over, and I have. It’s intriguing to get such a look — through the anguish of old age and dementia — of someone who was once one of the most powerful people in the world. Thatcher’s policies would not have been mine, but this is great filmmaking!

• Jul 28, 2019

She is such a role model! Love her!

She is such a role model! Love her!

• Jul 14, 2019

Strange and confusing in such a way that you have to imagine it meant something to the creative team, it just didn't exactly come out looking or feeling right to audiences. Meryl Streep is brilliant as always, but her and Jim Broadbent are the sole highlights of this dark, gloomy biopic/documentary that somehow manages to explain precisely nothing about Margaret Thatcher's life.

• May 10, 2019

This is the prime example, to me, of an awful political biopic. They take one of the most interesting and divisive politicians of the late twentieth century, Margaret Thatcher, and gloss over her various achievements as Prime Minister while being unable to make up their mind on whether or not she made the right decisions as they spend time on her suffering as a woman facing senility in old age. I believe that the film's faults can mainly be placed on screenwriter Abi Morgan who with this, The Invisible Woman (2013) and Suffragette (2015) proves she can take the lives of fascinating people and grind them down to the details that nobody really cares about. Watch Secret Honor (1984) or Young Mr. Lincoln (1939) if you want a biopic of a politician that is not afraid to delve into their careers and personal lives and make some actual conclusions out of them. Margaret Thatcher, Meryl Streep, is seen as a rising politician, the Prime Minister of Britain and a senile woman in this paint by numbers biopic. We see her as she earns a scholarship to Oxford and becomes a rising figure within the Conservative party. She marries divorced businessman Denis, Jim Broadbent, and receives a makeover from political advisors in order to make herself more appealing to voters. We see a summary of the highs and lows of her career including the Falkland Islands War and the UK miner's strike. As an old woman she envisions her dead husband Denis and is cared for by her worried daughter Carol Thatcher, Olivia Colman, as she struggles to let go of her career. I love Meryl Streep and she is deserving of having three Academy Awards but she should have won her third for The French Lieutenant's Woman (1981) or The Bridges of Madison County (1995). She feels as though she is doing an impression here, a good impression but nevertheless I expect more from one of the finest actresses working today and her failure to transcend the broad outline of Thatcher as a historical figure prevented the audience from understanding her on a deeper level. She would end up winning for this and although those nominated against her was week, Anna Paquin and Charlize Theron weren't even nominated, this should stand as one of the lesser Best Actress wins which is saddening when considering Streep's great body of work. From Streep onwards the whole film is pretty awful. Morgan's screenplay is flat and lifeless as I felt as though I was watching a cheap television film as Streep and Broadbent are forced to deliver lines like "I don't intend to die washing a teacup with dignity" as though it is of the utmost importance. Every time Morgan appears to be making some judgment on Thatcher's politics she swerves away from the event at hand and moves on to the next opportunity for Streep to deliver a long, self-important speech. I needed there to be some analysis or view taken from the filmmakers on her actions and beliefs because with no exploration of that a political biopic may as well not exist. Her personal life isn't dealt with any better as we spend an incredible amount of time with her as a senile old woman from which we learn absolutely nothing. Say what you will about Oliver Stone but at least he is willing to put his cards on the table when it comes to making a film about the life of a controversial politician. The choice of Lloyd as director is suspect because although I love Mamma Mia! (2008) I would never have considered her talents as the director of a cheesy musical to be worthy of a prestige film of this size. She, much like Morgan, seems confused about how we are meant to feel about Thatcher as the music swells in some moments and not in others even though essentially the same things occur. Streep gets lots of loving close-ups as she does the sort of showy acting that Academy voters like and the dreariness of suburban Britain is appropriately captured. I would have chosen someone like Stone or Gus Van Sant to direct this film because they would have taken a clearer point of view and though they are not subtle would have really gotten into the mind of their central character. I would not recommend this film, it is one of the garbage ï¿ 1/2~prestige pictures' of the Weinstein era, because it features one of the lesser performances of the otherwise fantastic Streep and has nothing to offer in it's writing or directing.

• Mar 15, 2019

Un misto tra film e docu-film; nonostante ciò è veramente un prodotto buono, con un cast preparato. Voto: 9

• Mar 10, 2019

Streep encapculates a great womanâ(TM)s life, overshadowing the rest of the film which doesnâ(TM)t know what to do.

• Jan 02, 2019

The Iron Lady encaptures Mrs Thatcher's zeal with Meryl Streep's stupendous performance, carrying the plot through thick and thin.