The Letter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Letter Reviews

September 24, 2016
I can't believe what I just saw, almost fell asleep at the first half, I guess the acting was ok, but the direction felt extremely amateur. Boring and pretentious.
½ February 14, 2016
Oh my what a shoddy presentation it was that bad. If I was Winona Ryder or James Franco I would remove this of my resume immediately it was awful. The only letter worth mentioning regarding this movie is one to the director to never direct ever again!
January 19, 2016
This is a movie about nothing. A playwright "thinks" someone "may be" causing her to have a mental breakdown. Why? She is unimportant to anyone but her boyfriend, yet she is more interested in another actor she just hired. What would be the purpose? Why make this movie? The ending - where it is explained what happened (if you make it that far), is another head scratcher... again, why? Garbage despite Ryder, Franco and the lovely Waterston.
Robert B.
October 8, 2015
The Letter is noir drama with an amateur feel (done intentionally?) and Lynchian vibe. Many people have disliked this movie; I can see why, but I go the other way. It is partly a matter of taste, as to whether or not you like films that have in them subtexts and hidden meanings; it is also partly a matter of execution. I think the Letter works well enough on both counts (not great but quite good). On a first viewing, I was expecting something more trippy and less cerebral, so I did not get much until the reveal at the end. The second time around I picked up much more. I think if one goes into the film treating it like a mystery or detective show, where you want to be reading people and guessing about them from the get-go, then the Letter will make for a much better view. Recommended to those who have a taste for the psychological.
September 28, 2015
I understand what the maker tries to do. But unfortunately she fails miserably. Please leave films like this to people who really know what they're doing, like Lars von Trier.
August 31, 2014
I'm still not entirely sure I've grasped this as deeply as I should have, but there's something about this movie that drew me in and made me want to keep watching, even though there wasn't much going on. It's definitely a movie that makes you think.
½ May 13, 2014
One of these experimental disturbing films with a great cast and a potential for an interesting story but unfortunately I found myself quite bored by this soporific story of a woman going slowly into madness. Yes Winona Ryder can play anything, yes James Franco is doing his evil best to look as weird as possible but somehow the alchemy doesn't really work and the film turns quickly into an uncomfortable experience and a very dull exercise of style.... Some might like that sort of films, I'm definitely not one of them.
March 12, 2014
One of the worst movies I have seen. Don't bother watching it, let alone
renting it.
½ March 12, 2014
I usually don't rate movies I can't finish but since this one already has such a low rating I figure why not. Honestly just don't even try watching this movie
March 12, 2014
This movie SUCKED BIG time. Poor James Franco had to act in something silly and poorly directed. It looked like Winona was having a "girl interrupted" time with her fellow castmates.
March 12, 2014
Incoherent. Just terrible. No wonder it never got a wide release. It went straight to red box.
March 12, 2014
This is the worst movie ever made. Shame on all involved in the making of this horrible movie. I want my money back!
½ March 12, 2014
First, I need to admit...I love James Franco with all my heart and I will watch anything (yes, even General Hospital) if he is in it. I read online that a professor of his was somehow involved in the making of this movie and that James probably took his role as a favor or for extra credit. To that I say "whatever" he has taken way stranger roles and done way stranger acting (again..General Hospital). His being in this movie did not feel or seem at all out of place to me.
Now, I haven't seen Winona Ryder in forever. Maybe not even since Black Swan. Her role in this film felt a lot like her roles in both Black Swan and Girl Interrupted. I loved her in this movie, she was perfect, but maybe that is because she has done it before.
Basically, this movie was about a play writer/director who goes insane as she gets further and further into her play. She confuses the play with reality until she doesn't know which is which. Again, very much like Black Swan.
So...why did I enjoy this movie? The acting was great, the camera angles rough and intense and the movie interesting. Please note the super creepy mime/zombie/seizure lady in the beginning.
March 12, 2014
Would this be the come back piece of Winona Ryder after her cameo but impressive performance in < Black Swan >? All she needs is a way much better script than this however.
½ February 15, 2014
What a complete load of rubbish! With a name like Obsessed and a cast with James Franco and Winona Ryder, I was expecting something interesting and entertaining, but this was really bad. Most of the film was set on stage with Winona Ryder directing a play, which was really bad, and on top of that, you've got Winona Ryder narrating the whole story. I really can't see what the director was trying to achieve with this film because there isn't much point to it. I can understand the twist which comes out at the end, but by that time I deliberately made myself busy so I could get through the annoying pile of rubbish. The stupid piano that's going through the whole movie is really annoying and the mood if depressing. Just stay away from the film!

I darn see why the hell James Franco and Winona Ryder agreed to doing this film because the script is appalling. Maybe they were just paying bills. Ever since Winona Ryder got caught thieving, her career has gone from bad to worse, and this movie isn't going to so her any favours. She's need a film like Beetlejuice 2 to bring her our of the dark. As for James Franco, I always knew that he does quirky movies, but I really can't see why he would want this film on his filmography. Anyway, I really can't find anything good to say about this film because there is nothing interesting or entertaining about it.

Budget: $10million (Waste Of Money!)
Worldwide Gross: N/A

I recommend this movie anyone that wants to get bored to death. 1/10
½ February 6, 2014
Cock gun....point at! Ahhh...relief.
September 23, 2013
The Letter is not a thriller. It is barely a film. It's a boring, self-important, disjointed and pointless pile of tripe masquerading as a movie. I say SKIP IT!!!
½ September 22, 2013
Such a let down from two of my favourite actors. Bland and boring
August 12, 2013
After watching this movie I locked out my door, went outside. And my mind just stopped thinking for the first time in my life. That was the best moment of my life. The movie was so..... what was the word, ya beautiful. I can't remember the last time when I used the word beautiful to define something. What performance by all of the actors in it, specially James Franko