Reviews

• Sep 28, 2021

With a twist on the cult horror genre, The Lodge delivers a shocking plot with many twist and turns that seem to come out empty. While its initial story seems to lead on to something supernatural, it drops all of this in exchange for a more grounded plot which seems to throw off the original vibes of the film.

• Sep 19, 2021

Brilliant movie. Riley and the 2 child actors did an excellent job. This movie deserves to be better known!

• Sep 02, 2021

The beginning, middle and end were all too slow. I appreciate a nice build-up and atmosphere, but this movie was ultimately just boring. Riley Keough is either staring off into space sullenly, or shreiking hysterically, there's zero in-between here. The supposed "twist" mid-film was a decent surprise that I didn't see coming, and it would have been a far more interesting movie had that been carried through. But then the actual ending was simply... well stupid for lack of a more sophisticated word. A complete waste of time.

• Aug 30, 2021

This movie was messed up in delightful ways. Some of the characters do things that are not very believable, but it works for the premise.

• Aug 26, 2021

This wasn't a great horror movie but it definitely did some things right. The atmosphere was very creepy and it built up nicely. The setting of a lakeside cottage buried in snow where two young children are stuck with their dad's new, somewhat normal-seeming, somewhat strange girlfriend was pretty inspired. And the way it sort of subtracted the comforts of home - electricity, phone service, personal belongings, heat - was brilliantly paced. I just wish it had been better.

• Aug 10, 2021

Great first half. Then the female lead goes for a LONG walk in a blizzard...and then....and then!!!...comes back. Did she die? Or What? Then...umm...there is a second half not as good...Turn this off half way through and it's a masterpiece

• Jul 30, 2021

This movie had me think, "What's the point?" Not of life, not of anything really of import. It was more like, "What's the point of this film?" It doesn't add anything inventive nor does it have any twists that are surprising. I guessed from the very beginning what was happening and I hardly paid attention for the first 25 minutes of the film. It was very obvious once they had found out she was in a cult what they were gonna do. The film was just kinda cruel to its main character and was never really scary at all. Why have such an interesting character just to torture her and gain nothing from it? It seemed a excuse to just lead up to as a disturbing ending as they could. I give props to all the actors. The acting was far from the problem. Stellar work there. But it was also all the stupid choices the characters made. There were many times where all involved had a chance to grab the gun and run, multiple times!!! You could explain it that it is a tense situation and 2 of the characters are kids, but come on! The dad and the teenage son could've done something. There was a point where Aiden could literally have just grabbed it from the floor. It was sitting there unattended for at least 2 minutes, but instead let's save the doll? What? But even that is forgivable as it is a horror film and those in horror make stupid decisions for the sake of the film. It's not what makes this movie horrible. What makes this movie wretched and a time waster is the first complaint I had. The complete waste of your main character. It seemed nothing was gained from this venture for any characters or the audience. Just a disturbing final few minutes. Once again, this is psychological horror. I was never scared, frightened, or otherwise. I was just scratching my head going, "But why?" It's a good time waster and nothing else. It is not a movie you will want to see again, even if you somewhat managed to enjoy it. I was honestly rooting for her to get the children at the end honestly, well, just Aiden actually. What a sociopath. Who does that to someone? Sorry. Just rambling now. Very weak movie. Acting: A Story: D

• Jun 16, 2021

Complete and utter waste of time. Do not waste your time.

Complete and utter waste of time. Do not waste your time.

• Jun 14, 2021

Not what I was expecting (a ghost story), instead it's much better, super dark and interesting. It's really about the ghosts of Riley's past with her mental illness catching up with her. Crazy ending too.

• May 30, 2021

Dark and bleak, directors/writers Veronika Franz and Severin Fiala have come up with a clever screenplay here and they take their time to build an eerie and tense atmosphere that keeps you on the edge of your seat, waiting for that something terrible that always seems to be just around the corner. It takes a while to get there (perhaps a little too long), but when it finally reveals what's happening, it hits hard and from there on out it is a gut-wrenching affair to watch as it all comes to an end. A superb performance from Riley Keough really seals the deal.