The Lone Ranger Reviews

• 4d ago

OK, so it is definitely not a GOOD movie, and the criticism for using white actors to play Native American roles is justified. On the other hand, I disagree with some of the criticism that it supports the “noble savage” stereotype - if anything, it seemed to be highlighting and satirizing that stereotype (the absurd “noble savage” diorama in the museum, the frequent made-up myths that Depp’s character would tell gullible white people etc.). Also, it is a farcical superhero movie, not a historical or even serious fictional/allegorical piece. It looked good, had some funny moments, was mostly preposterous, and ultimately did nothing to further or hinder the cause of Native Americans, nor was it intended to. Hollywood can and should do better, but it has also done much worse.

• Aug 17, 2020

If not for the meandering subplots and bloated run time, this one would've been a near perfect western ride.

• Aug 15, 2020

This movie is not as bad as they say !!! THE LONE RANGER is an "explosive" film, the performances, the soundtrack and cinematography are good, the action scenes involving trains are breathtaking, the only problem with the film for me is the exaggerated comedy in a film of this kind, but I advise you to watch this movie !!!

• Aug 13, 2020

Verbinski's style, the set pieces and the Depp/Hammer pairing are a good excuse to watch this, whilst it is not without it's flaws.

• Aug 02, 2020

This has to be one of the most underrated disney movies ever. If you ever liked the pirates of the Caribbean franchise, this would have been a better franchise.... My 3 and 5 year old boys love it. I never get sick of it, and I don't know anyone it wouldn't entertain... Armie Hammer was super powerful. Johnny Depp gives a killer performance. There's a ton of super subtle humor in the movie mixed in with all the slapstick and classic Gore Verbinksi type sequences with spinning things and crashing things and hilarious acrobatics. But the violent sequences are a lot more gnarly and gritty than previous work. Some of the movie is pretty TRIPPY. So this can be fun for everyone.

• Jul 28, 2020

The Lone Ranger is an ok movie. It's got a very basic plot, some really good acting from The Lone Ranger (Armie Hammer) and Tonto (Johnny Depp) there's only a few little odd scenes where Johnny Depp feels out of character. The dialogue can feel quite forced from the side characters at scenes and the same goes with the main characters. The cinematography from Bojan Bazelli is alright. He does a pretty decent job on capturing certain scenes pretty well in my opinion. Also, the action sequences are pretty unique and clever for the most part, I really enjoyed the action sequences where they're fighting on the train, all of those ones were honestly class in my opinion. There's a few funny moments throughout this movie, which made me laugh quite a bit. I think the problems, I've got with this movie would have to be how many fucking characters it tries to throw in, it feels quite bloated with characters. You start to forget about most of the villains who are still in this movie because my god, you start to forget about them quite quickly. Another problem I've got with this movie would have to be, how some of the scenes have been put together. There's a certain scene which I noticed, where it feels like something's been cut out or they've shot some scenes before those certain ones. Overall, The Lone Ranger isn't that bad of a movie, it's got a few problems here and there but the brilliant acting from Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer save the movie quite a bit. The same goes for the action sequences, the action sequences are very unique and very clever and they're very enjoyable.

• May 30, 2020

The movie is overly long, the story is not the one I remember from way back when. The action and stunts are great, but do not warrant the entire movie. I thought the part with Johnny Depp telling the story to the child was inventive. It's not as bad as the critics make it out to be, but the story is weak and is made into a comedy when it should be a straight Western with about a 30 minute less run time.

• Gimly M Super Reviewer
    May 19, 2020

(I wrote a very long and comprehensive review about this but I lost it in a browser crash so we'll have to make do with just one paragraph). Watching The Lone Ranger, every now and then, I could genuinely see the spark of a good movie trying its darndest to shine through. With a lot of changes, (foremost amongst them, a change of cast in the two leads) this might have been something special, I really can see how it could have been. But that wasn't the movie we got. We got this, and it is very disappointing.

• May 17, 2020

An okay movie that has better costumes then plot.

An okay movie that has better costumes then plot.

• May 05, 2020

amazing and so funny. can't stop watching it.

amazing and so funny. can't stop watching it.