The Lost City of Z Reviews

• 5d ago

Some parts are boring

Some parts are boring

• Aug 15, 2019

Really immersive movie showing the obsession of exploration and an old memory.

Really immersive movie showing the obsession of exploration and an old memory.

• Jul 30, 2019

A little like Apocalypse Now for explorers. My favorite part was Robert Pattinson doing a dorky character. I get that maybe the length was intentionally dragging to show this guy's determination over his entire life, but boy does it drag towards the end.

• Jul 28, 2019

Hated this ending. The build was not worth it! It was such a good movie, and very long. They should have made it shorter because the ended made it such a waste of time!

• May 20, 2019

The film locations are gorgeous and all three male leads turn in admirable performance, unfortunately not a whole lot happens.

• May 18, 2019

I think I'm becoming some kind of expert at spotting a *certain* kind of film on title, director, and cast alone, where by *certain* I mean the kind where there's a huge disparity between the critic's score and the audience score. So I log on to Rottenness Tomatoes and find that to be just the case, and be satisfied in the knowledge that I just saved 140min of my time. U know Hollywood, u can't just force all of us to like what you want us to like.

• May 17, 2019

Very long but mostly an engaging story if you can put up with the pommy theatrics

• Apr 13, 2019

Classically-driven with masterful efforts and figuratively authentic performances to spread the epically adventurous tale's wonders and debatable ambiguity, under historical senses, as part of the maintained engagement which resurges the taste towards the exploration genre. (B+) (Full review TBD)

• Apr 09, 2019

Although Charlie Hunnam turns in a superbly tight-lipped performance as explorer Percy Fawcett, this movie is let down by some jumpy editing, which makes the plot jar and skip and the ultimately unsatisfactory ending to the whole story. It crams in far too much into the time with no less than three separate expeditions, World War I and the linking sections of narrative. This means that, fascinating though the story may be, nothing gets developed well enough and secondary characters are poorly painted and left underdeveloped. It gives the impression that Fawcett was a fascinating character with some decidedly modern views of native peoples but we are unable to really get to know him well enough.

• Apr 09, 2019

Sprawlingly plodding melodrama which manages to turn moments of peril into farce before puncturing the tension by switching in the next shot to a dusty wood-panelled chamber in London, and that anachronistically tunes into modern political correctness about native 'identities' (racism disguised as anti-racism), saved only partially by another pitch perfect performance from one of the greatest living actresses, Sienna Miller.