The Lovers Reviews

• Aug 10, 2019

They're unhappily married and both cheating on each other and somehow they turn back around to be romantic again - but it doesn't lead to anything worthwhile.

• Jul 14, 2019

The Lovers finds itself to be an interesting portrayal of a marriage in crisis, being anchored on the performances of its well-matched leads.

• Dec 27, 2018

Increasingly disconcerting the disconnect between critics and moviegoers. Appreciated a lot by the firsts and much less by the seconds this embarrassing little story between two elderly spouses contemptible for the world of lies that have built without respect either for others or for themselves. "All you need is sex": have you identified with them? Shame on you. (Mauro Lanari)

• Oct 20, 2018

I just finished watching the film,, The Lovers.... and it's made me feel many things. There are some great performances, especially from the always wonderful Debra Winger, who, unfortunately rarely appears in films anymore. I just wish the f**king soundtrack score was not so intrusive. I really hated the way this film was scored!!

• Aug 28, 2018

a scoreboard mentality.. The Lovers The Lovers is a character driven romantic drama whose quirky perspective and the lens through which it views monogamy, is thoroughly entertaining. Ticking for around 90 minutes, it easily charms its way out, but unfortunately none is wiser when the curtain drops. The structure of the premise is textbook which makes its first act basically an introduction where the makers are spending most of the time on setting the plots and characters. But they do it with such panache that the grace respects the material in here. Having said that, it doesn't suggest that it is appropriately bred, in fact if anything it makes the rest on it unstable act riding with an uneven pace. The chemistry between the lead character is the glue that holds it all, through thick and thin and believe it or not, the features fluctuates a lot. It's the equation of son arriving on screen, elevates the self-mocked script into an unexpected territory that is straight out fired bullet. It falls flatly on technical aspects like cinematography and editing along with background score although the last song sung by Letts is impressive. The camera work is appreciative and is shot with neat and clean props and location that makes it light and breezy; at least for the most part of it. Winger is complicated, Letts is confident and Gillen is impressive as always but Walters is the additional surprising little package that explodes loud and clear. The writer-director Jacobs is much smarter than it seems as its props are well set and tiny notions that resembles eerily with practicality. Zipped up frustration, humoristic script and amazing performance are the high points of the feature. The Lovers has a scoreboard mentality that is tossed on the name of monogamy but with a heartwarming touch that is felt by the viewers.

• Jun 21, 2018

Loved the genre, screenplay could have been more exploratory. Why a millennial son would be so upset over a parental affair is beyond me.

• Jun 09, 2018

The premise on paper seems somewhat tiring but the performances and direction here feel so natural and focused, it's hard to look away.

• Oct 22, 2017

It was sorta growing on me until the end.

It was sorta growing on me until the end.

• Oct 14, 2017

Turning the marital infidelity drama upside down, with shades of Woody Allen, this is an inventive and surprisingly seductive story dreamt up by writer-director Azazel Jacobs. The ideology behind it may not be agreeable to everyone but I believe the sentiments are universal. Debra Winger and Tracy Letts, who are incredible and so expressive in their roles, play a disengaged couple who has been together long enough to have a grown up son, but they have separate jobs and affairs and are almost living separate lives under the same roof and then... I won't spoil it by saying any more as this is a film to be discovered but this is a love story where the suspenseful will-they-wont-they lasts until the final scene. I do wish the son's role is less one dimensionally written but he is mostly there as a dramatic catalyst that takes us to the unexpected and nicely handled ending. Mandy Hoffman's lush, melodic score which feels like it has swept in from a 50s romantic epic, may be a little jarring at first but it does settle in and it perfectly complements a film that feels grandiose while doing a reality check on what love and relationships mean in our modern-day society.

• Sep 19, 2017

Dire from start to finish, slow, boring, script was missing in action , unlikable characters with very bad dress sense. The slow cello in the background was out of place, a Fawlty Towersish remake would improve the comedy angle 100%. Save your money!!