The Master - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Master Reviews

May 24, 2017
WHEN THE CAGE IS ONLY EXISTENT WHEN THE THOSE WHOM DWELLED IN IT, MAKE IT EXIST AND GIVE IT LIFE. WHEN THE CAGE NEEDS THOSE WHOM IT HOLDS MORE THEN THE PERSON IN IT, WHOM WANTS TO BREAK OUT AND BE FREE. OFTEN SEEN IN THE TYPICAL PARENTAL AND CHILD RELATIONSHIP WHEN CHILDREN GROW UP, AND PARENTS ATTACHMENT DO NOT WANT CHILDREN TO LEAVE THE CAGE/HOME.
WHEN CHOOSING TO IGNORE ALL SIGNS OF WHAT IS TRUE OR FALSE, AND CHOOSING TO BELIEVE IN ONE OTHER STRAIGHT PATH THAT GOES IN A DIFFERENT DIRECTION, ONE IS CREATING A CULT AWAY FROM FACTS. WHEN WHAT SEEMS CREDIABLE AND TRUE IS FALSE AND UNCREDIABLE. WHEN THE ONLY THING THAT MAKES THE LIVLIHOOD OF ITS PRACTICE EXISTENT IS THOSE WHOM PRACTICE THE SAME VALUES. OFTEN SEEN IS FAMILY DYNAMICS IN THE HOME, WHEN PARENTS TEACH CHILDREN THE CULTURE AND LIFE AS THE ONLY WAY TO LIVE OR DEEMED OUTSIDER TO THOSE WHOM REFUSE TO PRACTICE IT AT ALL. THE CULT REJECTS YOU AS YOU REJECT THE CULT.
THOSE, WHOM CHOOSE TO CHOOSE MULTIPLE CULTS, OFTEN ARE THE ONES WHOM REFUSE TO DEAL WITH THE PUNISHMENT OF ABANDONMENT, AND KEEP THOSE WHOM MAKE THE EXISTENCE OF THE CAGE & CULT ALIVE INSIDE. OFTEN SEEN IN THE CHILDREN, WHOM ARE THE LAST ONE'S TO LEAVE THE HOME, OR STRUGGLE IN ITS LIVLIHOOD. OFTEN SEEN IN INSTITUTIONS OF THE HOME OR WORKPLACE. WHEN EMPLOYERS FINDS MEANS TO KEEP THEIR EMPLOYEES AT THAT WORKPLACE OR SUFFER PUNISHMENT OR HARDSHIP.
WHEN THE CAGE EVOLVES AND IT NO LONGER BECOMES A MEANS OF NURTURING BUT SURVIVAL. WHEN THOSE WHOM CONTROL WHAT IS IN THE CAGE, AND ARE ALLOWED IN AND OUT OF THE CAGE TO CREATE THE HOSITLITY IN WHOM IS INSIDE. ANY CHANGE IN THE ENVIRONMENT IN THE CAGE, THOSE WHOM ARE ADDED OR MISSING CAN ALTER WHAT LIVLIHOOD IS IN THE CAGE. OFTEN SEEN IN PARENTS WHEN HAVING CHILDREN IN THE MIX, OFTEN THE ATTENTION, FOCUS, OR SERVINGS HAVE TO BE DIVIDED OR SHARED, THUS LEAVING OTHERS WITH A SMALL SHARE.
½ March 29, 2017
This felt like a difficult book, but ultimately one I couldn't really put down. Did I 'enjoy' this film, no not really possibly not at all. I was kind of enthralled by the two central performances by Hoffman and Phoenix though. I will almost certainly never watch this film again but yet I've still spent a lot of time thinking about it. Take from that what you will.
½ March 28, 2017
This movie has some of the best performances in a movie I've ever seen and and a well thought out story that some would call a masterpiece and I wouldn't disagree with them.
March 25, 2017
4/5. An extremely strange film that is very well crafted and features some incredible performances. I just still don't really know exactly what The Master was about.
March 12, 2017
Nicely realized and acted drama with great amount of psychology in it about confused people seeking aim in life and the liars that surround them.
February 28, 2017
Unconventional and disturbing at times. However I salute the actors' performances! The intensity and darkness of the movie ressembles 'There will be blood' which keeps viewers on the edge of their seats.
½ February 9, 2017
I dare you to watch this movie and NOT envision this being about Trump.
½ January 30, 2017
Started off strong but then lost me. I was trying to figure out whos was minipulating who and that it went off on one. Last half a hour was a mess but still an mildly adequate film
January 18, 2017
Interesting, immaculately shot film with the usual excellence from Seymour Hoffman and an impressively exquisite central performance of a desperate, raging alcoholic by Joaquin Phoenix.
January 18, 2017
The Master is both a compelling psychological study and a tense atmospheric thriller, guided by one of the best scores of recent memory, thanks to John Greenwood, and extraordinary actings from the perfectly selected main cast. Anderson not only shows us the dread, the pain and the sense of claustrophobia of his characters, he transmits it on a visceral level. The Master feels intangible, and almost uncinematic in its trascendental meandering, but at the same time thats the reason it feels like a unique and pioneering viewing experience.
½ January 17, 2017
There's an original story. Not too sure where it was going and not too sure where it went exactly. Some sort of hypnotic tale of life into adulthood maybe. At first, I thought this was going to explain the creation of the Scientology. But no, it diverged into trying to find some solution to mental issues. Or to make money trying and winging it. Excellent acting and reenacting of the epoch.
½ January 17, 2017
½ November 26, 2016
"Faith changes man," is that true? Perhaps. In yet another movie of the spectacular young director Paul Thomas Anderson, he put us in the shoes of Freddie Quell (Joaquin Phoenix), a former World War II sailor who tries to rebuild his life that is completely devastated by the traumas of war, but one day He meets a man who presents him with a fairytale, to which he embarks, or not, Anderson tells us about the solitude of our lives, our plans that go wrong, and how easy it is to cling to a story in a moment of We have a very good script, although it contains a lot of belly and of course, rhythm problems (like almost all of Anderson's films), scenes with great symbologies that leave the film a little confused at a certain moment, but technically "The master "Is incredible, incredible editing, incredible sound mixing, incredible photography and extraordinary soundtrack, plus the impeccable performance of Joaquin Phoenix. Which is completely lost within his character, but not only Joaquim, all the performances in this film are impeccable. Finally, "The Master" is a movie worth its 2 hours, just embark on your story.
November 14, 2016
Everything in this movie is done perfectly.
½ October 17, 2016
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Sublimemente creada: una película perfecta para deleitarse con una obra de arte acompañada de una historia inquietante y unas impecables actuaciones (sobre todo por Joaquin Phoenix)
September 17, 2016
an incredible acting from Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman with a great script and subtle directing makes it a great movie ( i loved the prosseing scene)
½ September 15, 2016
The trailer for this movie is one of the best two-minute films I've ever seen, and renders watching the whole movie unnecessary, since it compacts in those two minutes what the two-hour film meanders to tell: a story about the struggles and the prevailing outcome of friendship between Hoffman and Phoenix.
August 31, 2016
I have yet to see a bad Phillip Seymour Hoffman movie
August 26, 2016
Don't ask me why, but I liked it. The message, should there be one, is that The Master is so useless he can't even save a self-destructive alcoholic asshole from himself. Obviously, his preferred subjects are those already in a good place. A placebo-peddling sawbones, and a legend in his own mind.
August 20, 2016