The Master - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Master Reviews

May 18, 2018
I'm not going to lie, this is a very slow film. It's atmospheric and often ponderous, it's also one of my favorite films. I love the cast, characters and story. I've watched this about a dozen times. It's both straightforward and complex. It's an enigma.
May 8, 2018
you seem so familiar to me..

The Master

It redefines the drama genre where the makers doesn't flinch to go bold, creative, dark and places where you have never been before. Paul Thomas Anderson shines all over the feature since he is the only one that can pull off such convoluted relations of pragmatic yet amusing characters that resides in his self-imaginary sketchy bubble. Anderson's premise is supported by gripping screenplay brought alive by his brilliant execution skill where he reaches out for something colossal out of mere scattered thoughts or opinions. The performance is stupendous by the actors like Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams and Phillip Seymour Hoffman who have invested all their chips in, being aware of the stage and range offered to them. The Master is rich in craft that goes deep and explores the character's perspective not coming off as overcooked but exhilarating, thought provoking and electrifying that keeps the audience engaged for more than 2 hours on the edge of the seat which rarely occurs on a character driven feature.
April 21, 2018
Driven by sensational career-defining performances and Paul Thomas Anderson's signature for challenging drama and thematic power, The Master is a mystifying portrait of human consciousness, purpose, and disarray
April 6, 2018
Great acting and interesting story
March 18, 2018
Come al solito il regista ci offre movimenti di camera straordinari regolati da una regia generale che mantiene la qualità a cui ci ha abituato. Il problema è la pesantezza generale del film, che risulta essere molto lento, riflessivo e a tratti noioso. Dopo una seconda visione si riesce ad intuire meglio il messaggio dietro le immagini, ma non risulta sufficiente per rendere l'esperienza in qualche modo costruttiva o piacevole. Sono solo le splendide inquadrature a farmi piacere questo strano film, che sembra fatto per un pubblico serio ed abituato a questa particolare forma di intrattenimento.
March 16, 2018
what a pretentious pseudo-cinema for fedoras
February 10, 2018
Intriguing subject matter, immersive post-war 1950's feeling, and exceptionally good performances from Hoffman and Phoenix - however, it all falls flat in a great anti-climax ending where the main character fails to progress whatsoever and nothing feels like it has changed. This means that a story wasn't really told - or at least the story that was told was one of frustration and futility. The movie raises intriguing questions about L. Ron Hubbard - his apparent sincerity in seeking to help others, his relationship with violence and paranoia, the accusations and suspicions of fraud and being a charlatan that dogged him - even from within his closest circle, and, most critically to this story, his inability to "cure" someone who truly needed it. While these are all interesting questions and premises, the movie fails to make a coherent statement and give a satisfactory conclusion.
February 1, 2018
Not enough questions answered for me. Not a masterpiece. using the same footage of ship wake for different times and different oceans for that matter is poor filmmaking.
½ January 2, 2018
If movies were all about acting this one would be a five star one but hey you gotta love the plot, the events etc. I didn't like anything about this movie except the acting. And boy was it long...How can this be Oscar material; it was like a slow motion European movie. I'm rewatching and I had no idea that i've already seen it.
December 25, 2017
7.8

[Paul Thomas Anderson]
½ December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Sublimemente creada: una película perfecta para deleitarse con una obra de arte acompañada de una historia inquietante y unas impecables actuaciones (sobre todo por Joaquin Phoenix).
October 31, 2017
The Master has an amazing cast who all do truly remarkable things with their performances. In particular, Philip Seymour Hoffman is absolutely unreal. I was a bit put-off by Joaquin Phoenix because he played Freddie a bit one-note. I mean, he absolutely swung for the fences with that one note, but there wasn?t as much nuance as I wanted from the main character. In fact it lead to one of my biggest problems with The Master, and that is the fact that I could never get a handle on Freddie?s motivations. He behaves in very erratic ways, and it was completely unpredictable what would come next because you couldn?t tell why he was doing things. The most notable is when he leaves The Cause with no preamble or reason whatsoever.

There are a few scenes in this movie that are nearly perfect and deserve all the attention the movie receives, but otherwise there wasn?t enough plot to hold things together. There are plenty of aspects hinted at with The Cause that could have led down some fascinating plot threads about the inner workings of a cult, but it stayed so surface level and never went any deeper. Instead the movie was intent on simply exploring the journey of one unappealing man, instead of the more interesting people he meets. The Master was dangerously close to simply being dull in a number of sections and boring is one quality I really struggle to accept in my movies. I see why it?s so praised because there are elements that are great, but the whole was lacking.
½ October 23, 2017
A very well made movie with fantastic acting, but the movie is pretty confusing and becomes very slow in parts. I'd recommend it just for the experience.
September 14, 2017
Breathtaking in every conceiveable way, Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master," is truly his greatest work to date. "The Master" combines awe-inspiring cinematography and extraordinarily captivating storytelling to create what I consider to be the greatest film ever made. Johnny Greenwood's mesmerizing soundtrack perfectly complements each scene with grandeur and oftentimes a sense of melancholia. Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman's performances are some of the greatest ever put to film, with each of them playing there roles with honesty. Freddie Quell is one of the most unique characters ever because of his need for purpose, his feelings of being lost, and his several erratically crazed sexual exploits throughout this masterpiece. Anderson's script is perfectly written, being enigmatic enough to where it begs the audience to pry for answers and rewatch the film for further understanding. 10/10
August 12, 2017
The Master is a film that needs multiple viewings. At first, I looked at the film as shallow but it is anything of the sorts. It has so much depth that I become invoked with the all the characters, specify Hoffman and Phoenix. Excellent performances as well as powerful ones
August 10, 2017
Watch this movie if you enjoy terrific acting otherwise it's a bit slow.
August 8, 2017
Joaquin Phoenix et Philip Seymour Hoffman illustrent la perfection dans ce chef-d'oeuvre !!!
½ August 2, 2017
As hypnotic as the practices of The Cause in the film, The Master is a multi-faceted, enigmatic piece of filmmaking, continuing the hot streak of one of the finest directors playing ball right now. Paul Thomas Anderson's tale of adjusting to post-World War II America also serves as a mesmerizing look at the complicated relationship of teacher and pupil and, whether intentional or not, a fascinating parallel to the founding of the mysterious Church of Scientology. Through Freddie Quell, drifting aimlessly like the ocean the film opens on, and Lancaster Dodd, Quell's seemingly more concrete counterpart, Anderson has crafted a complicated relationship in which two damaged individuals, each in their own way, prove to be completely entrancing figures. It helps that Anderson is working with two powerhouse talents in the form of Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman. Phoenix, always an actor completely dedicated to his character, is powerful in every scene, whether it be one filled with rage or a quieter, softer one. Hoffman is spellbinding in his charismatic turn as well, convincingly pulling off the cult leader type in a way that threatens to suck you in yourself. Also turning in great work is the ever-reliable Amy Adams, whose solid performance here may not be quite as heavy, but remains a strong Supporting presence. Shot on beautiful 65mm film, it's a masterwork of visual prowess, an absolutely vibrant display of light and color. Despite working with a new director of photography (Mihai Malaimare, rather than usual collaborator Robert Elswit), Anderson retains the same slow-moving, lingering camerawork that has become a directorial trademark of his. Once more, he's managed to deliver another filmmaking marvel, and another entry in one of the most consistent filmographies of any working director.
July 31, 2017
Thoughtful and exhausting.
July 28, 2017
Memorable performances by everyone in this, extraordinary film. Why isn't it played on TV or Netflix?