The Master - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Master Reviews

July 22, 2017
My favourite film of 2012 ... probably my favourite film of the decade. It's nominally the story of two men who appear quite different on the surface, but are really strikingly similar. Hoffman's Lancaster Dodd is attracted to Phoenix's Freddy Quell because they have the same ferocious, restless anger, and unlike Dodd, Quell has no desire to be restrained. Quell is attracted to Dodd because Dodd manages to get inside Quell and get him to reveal himself ... Quell is convinced Dodd's religion must have some answers. More than this, it's a meticulous recreation of the style of classical Hollywood melodramas, both in the look and in the extraordinarily controlled performances Anderson gets from his cast, but without feeling like a slavish reproduction. It's both strikingly modern and classical in style ... an extension of Anderson's work on "There Will Be Blood".
July 21, 2017
Full of raw instinct and performances, becomes a meditation of self-discovery and visual stimulation.
½ July 18, 2017
This was a good movie based on the fact that the performances in this movie were incredible, the movie also was directed beautifully by PTA and had an amazing cinematography, but that doesn't discard the fact that this movie was long and little bit boring.
July 14, 2017
Paul Thomas Anderson emprega técnicas invejáveis nos cenários e figurinos dignos de Oscar, sem falar no elenco de alto garbo liderado por Phoenix e Philip Seymour, que impressionam logo de cara, mas quando o final se aproxima e nada aglutina os argumentos e acontecimentos vistos, você começa a achar que não tem neurônios suficientes para entender a trama psicofarmacológica de Paul Anderson que tenta nos passar conceitos da enigmática cientologia.
July 8, 2017
4/5

In general, I feel that The Master as a drama film isn't as preposterously great as other Paul Thomas Anderson films, but the performances and general directing are nothing but amazing.
July 5, 2017
I love PT Anderson, but I don't know about this one. It seemed incomplete, comprised of a series of disjointed scenes. It seemed only to scratch the surface of discovering who Freddie is, who Lancaster Dodd is, and what the cult is all about. I don't know if this is by design, or what, but I will see it a second time to see if there's deeper meanings that I'm missing.
June 26, 2017
My Favorite Film Of All Time Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
½ June 11, 2017
It may not be a purposeful experience for everyone, but "The Master" is a well-acted smart drama that can be reasonably applied to the modern age of spiritual hunger.
May 24, 2017
WHEN THE CAGE IS ONLY EXISTENT WHEN THE THOSE WHOM DWELLED IN IT, MAKE IT EXIST AND GIVE IT LIFE. WHEN THE CAGE NEEDS THOSE WHOM IT HOLDS MORE THEN THE PERSON IN IT, WHOM WANTS TO BREAK OUT AND BE FREE. OFTEN SEEN IN THE TYPICAL PARENTAL AND CHILD RELATIONSHIP WHEN CHILDREN GROW UP, AND PARENTS ATTACHMENT DO NOT WANT CHILDREN TO LEAVE THE CAGE/HOME.
WHEN CHOOSING TO IGNORE ALL SIGNS OF WHAT IS TRUE OR FALSE, AND CHOOSING TO BELIEVE IN ONE OTHER STRAIGHT PATH THAT GOES IN A DIFFERENT DIRECTION, ONE IS CREATING A CULT AWAY FROM FACTS. WHEN WHAT SEEMS CREDIABLE AND TRUE IS FALSE AND UNCREDIABLE. WHEN THE ONLY THING THAT MAKES THE LIVLIHOOD OF ITS PRACTICE EXISTENT IS THOSE WHOM PRACTICE THE SAME VALUES. OFTEN SEEN IS FAMILY DYNAMICS IN THE HOME, WHEN PARENTS TEACH CHILDREN THE CULTURE AND LIFE AS THE ONLY WAY TO LIVE OR DEEMED OUTSIDER TO THOSE WHOM REFUSE TO PRACTICE IT AT ALL. THE CULT REJECTS YOU AS YOU REJECT THE CULT.
THOSE, WHOM CHOOSE TO CHOOSE MULTIPLE CULTS, OFTEN ARE THE ONES WHOM REFUSE TO DEAL WITH THE PUNISHMENT OF ABANDONMENT, AND KEEP THOSE WHOM MAKE THE EXISTENCE OF THE CAGE & CULT ALIVE INSIDE. OFTEN SEEN IN THE CHILDREN, WHOM ARE THE LAST ONE'S TO LEAVE THE HOME, OR STRUGGLE IN ITS LIVLIHOOD. OFTEN SEEN IN INSTITUTIONS OF THE HOME OR WORKPLACE. WHEN EMPLOYERS FINDS MEANS TO KEEP THEIR EMPLOYEES AT THAT WORKPLACE OR SUFFER PUNISHMENT OR HARDSHIP.
WHEN THE CAGE EVOLVES AND IT NO LONGER BECOMES A MEANS OF NURTURING BUT SURVIVAL. WHEN THOSE WHOM CONTROL WHAT IS IN THE CAGE, AND ARE ALLOWED IN AND OUT OF THE CAGE TO CREATE THE HOSITLITY IN WHOM IS INSIDE. ANY CHANGE IN THE ENVIRONMENT IN THE CAGE, THOSE WHOM ARE ADDED OR MISSING CAN ALTER WHAT LIVLIHOOD IS IN THE CAGE. OFTEN SEEN IN PARENTS WHEN HAVING CHILDREN IN THE MIX, OFTEN THE ATTENTION, FOCUS, OR SERVINGS HAVE TO BE DIVIDED OR SHARED, THUS LEAVING OTHERS WITH A SMALL SHARE.
½ March 29, 2017
This felt like a difficult book, but ultimately one I couldn't really put down. Did I 'enjoy' this film, no not really possibly not at all. I was kind of enthralled by the two central performances by Hoffman and Phoenix though. I will almost certainly never watch this film again but yet I've still spent a lot of time thinking about it. Take from that what you will.
½ March 28, 2017
This movie has some of the best performances in a movie I've ever seen and and a well thought out story that some would call a masterpiece and I wouldn't disagree with them.
March 25, 2017
4/5. An extremely strange film that is very well crafted and features some incredible performances. I just still don't really know exactly what The Master was about.
March 12, 2017
Nicely realized and acted drama with great amount of psychology in it about confused people seeking aim in life and the liars that surround them.
February 28, 2017
Unconventional and disturbing at times. However I salute the actors' performances! The intensity and darkness of the movie ressembles 'There will be blood' which keeps viewers on the edge of their seats.
½ February 9, 2017
I dare you to watch this movie and NOT envision this being about Trump.
½ January 30, 2017
Started off strong but then lost me. I was trying to figure out whos was minipulating who and that it went off on one. Last half a hour was a mess but still an mildly adequate film
January 18, 2017
Interesting, immaculately shot film with the usual excellence from Seymour Hoffman and an impressively exquisite central performance of a desperate, raging alcoholic by Joaquin Phoenix.
January 18, 2017
The Master is both a compelling psychological study and a tense atmospheric thriller, guided by one of the best scores of recent memory, thanks to John Greenwood, and extraordinary actings from the perfectly selected main cast. Anderson not only shows us the dread, the pain and the sense of claustrophobia of his characters, he transmits it on a visceral level. The Master feels intangible, and almost uncinematic in its trascendental meandering, but at the same time thats the reason it feels like a unique and pioneering viewing experience.
½ January 17, 2017
There's an original story. Not too sure where it was going and not too sure where it went exactly. Some sort of hypnotic tale of life into adulthood maybe. At first, I thought this was going to explain the creation of the Scientology. But no, it diverged into trying to find some solution to mental issues. Or to make money trying and winging it. Excellent acting and reenacting of the epoch.
½ January 17, 2017