The Master - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Master Reviews

September 17, 2016
an incredible acting from Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman with a great script and subtle directing makes it a great movie ( i loved the prosseing scene)
½ September 15, 2016
The trailer for this movie is one of the best two-minute films I've ever seen, and renders watching the whole movie unnecessary, since it compacts in those two minutes what the two-hour film meanders to tell: a story about the struggles and the prevailing outcome of friendship between Hoffman and Phoenix.
August 31, 2016
I have yet to see a bad Phillip Seymour Hoffman movie
August 26, 2016
Don't ask me why, but I liked it. The message, should there be one, is that The Master is so useless he can't even save a self-destructive alcoholic asshole from himself. Obviously, his preferred subjects are those already in a good place. A placebo-peddling sawbones, and a legend in his own mind.
August 20, 2016
i love this movie guy
August 18, 2016
160806: This film was so strange it took me awhile to do the review. Keeps you captured. Dumbfounding comes to mind. Not sure the purpose of the story. In some ways entertaining, likely due to Joaquin Phoenix's intriguing character Freddie Quell. Liked Hoffman and Adams as well but felt a bit uncomfortable often. I can't give it more than 2 stars at this time.
½ August 13, 2016
Pretty dull. Hard to get through. Can't ignore the talent tho.
August 12, 2016
Phoenix and Seymour Hofman were brilliant but the story was ultimately quite boring.
½ August 2, 2016
Slow, boring, bad acting, no plot, nonesense like Scientology.
½ July 27, 2016
Paul Thomas Anderson expertly crafts his shots with beautiful precision to help this raw story be told with an engrossing and unique soundtrack which helps a film where all our main actors show off the best of their talents.
July 14, 2016
''Eu sou um escritor, físico teórico, existencialista, bioquímico...Mas acima de tudo, um homem curioso, como você.''
July 11, 2016
I never knew Joaquin Phoenix was as fine an actor as in this movie
½ June 12, 2016
An interesting look at a cult, with plenty of similarities to Scientology. I never fully connected to Freddie (Phoenix) - the alcoholic drifter - so I found it hard to care what happened to him or his involvement with 'the Cause'. Everyone's good, particularly Seymour Hoffman as the Master, but he's arguably a side character to Freddie's search for... something/nothing, and Adams is underused. Plenty of story threads that go nowhere and plenty of drawn out scenes. Some nice moments and some funny moments, but overall, it's slightly too incoherent and unfulfilling.
June 7, 2016
I must've not GOT it.
May 27, 2016
The Master has Paul Thomas Anderson's characteristic pretentiousness and hardness to being understood. When a movie is supposed to be seen several times to be understood, you would expect it to be more interesting. Don't get me wrong, it has it's moments, and the production design is pretty good, but when people call your movie "challenging" as a compliment, they're either pretty pretentious themselves or they're being too polite to say they didn't understand your senseless movie. A real Oscar bait, but again, that's not a compliment.
½ May 22, 2016
This was the Guardian's 'Pick of the Week' last week. Despite a glowing review, it didn't really float my boat. It has a good score, some interesting cinematography, and powerful acting; but the narrative itself is weak and intentionally ambiguous in places. It purports to be the story of a charismatic cult leader in the 1950s: I didn't find it believable, or even terribly interesting. Hi ho.
½ May 16, 2016
Now The Master is certainly not for everyone but the simplistic charm it posses is hard to look passed, Joaquin Phoenix delivers massively with a rare performance where PAIN meets LIFE and a battle occur, the great late Philip Seymour Hoffman was so good it leaves you wanting for more, his charismatic qualities is off the chart.
May 7, 2016
Paul Thomas Anderson's films aren't for everyone but for fans of his work, The Master truly delivers something special. Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman deliver top notch performances giving completely of themselves to their roles. But without these 2 actors, this film doesn't have much to offer. The story is plain, slow, and somewhat boring (as is often the case with dramas imo). There isn't much entertainment for mainstream audiences. Phoenix and Hoffman create these characters that are quirky and abnormal but serious and deep and it is their relationship to each other which forms the backbone to this film and the reason to watch it. It's also what I disliked the most. I'm not a big fan of Phoenix or Hoffman in general. They are extremely talented but I just don't enjoy watching them. So for me, an entire film revolving around these two actors was a little painful. Combine that with the slow pacing, uninteresting story, and a genre I'm not really into and you might wonder why I'd give the film a 3 star rating. The story, for what it is, is extremely well told but it's the performances of the 2 leads that raise The Master up despite my personal opinions about the actors.
½ April 21, 2016
Engrossing. Worth the watch for Joaquin alone.
½ April 20, 2016
PTA is one of the few directors that can do nebulous well (take notes Shyamalan). There's so much about this that is unclear, and yet I feel incredibly enticed by it. I've felt the same way regarding so many of PTA's other projects that perhaps I've become instinctually comfortable in his methods, and it's not a bad place to be. What makes this movie work so well is the relentless ambition of its characters. There's so much of what's happening that's unclear, and so much of what's understood to be left to interpretation, that the sheer animosity of its characters (much to the contradiction of the movie's cult) is what keeps us tethered the story. In the end I feel the film is attempting to portray the message that we all seek to love what we create, and with that, connect with someone. Get's slightly short of a 4 star due to being a bit too long.