The Master - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Master Reviews

October 31, 2017
The Master has an amazing cast who all do truly remarkable things with their performances. In particular, Philip Seymour Hoffman is absolutely unreal. I was a bit put-off by Joaquin Phoenix because he played Freddie a bit one-note. I mean, he absolutely swung for the fences with that one note, but there wasn?t as much nuance as I wanted from the main character. In fact it lead to one of my biggest problems with The Master, and that is the fact that I could never get a handle on Freddie?s motivations. He behaves in very erratic ways, and it was completely unpredictable what would come next because you couldn?t tell why he was doing things. The most notable is when he leaves The Cause with no preamble or reason whatsoever.

There are a few scenes in this movie that are nearly perfect and deserve all the attention the movie receives, but otherwise there wasn?t enough plot to hold things together. There are plenty of aspects hinted at with The Cause that could have led down some fascinating plot threads about the inner workings of a cult, but it stayed so surface level and never went any deeper. Instead the movie was intent on simply exploring the journey of one unappealing man, instead of the more interesting people he meets. The Master was dangerously close to simply being dull in a number of sections and boring is one quality I really struggle to accept in my movies. I see why it?s so praised because there are elements that are great, but the whole was lacking.
½ October 23, 2017
A very well made movie with fantastic acting, but the movie is pretty confusing and becomes very slow in parts. I'd recommend it just for the experience.
September 14, 2017
Breathtaking in every conceiveable way, Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master," is truly his greatest work to date. "The Master" combines awe-inspiring cinematography and extraordinarily captivating storytelling to create what I consider to be the greatest film ever made. Johnny Greenwood's mesmerizing soundtrack perfectly complements each scene with grandeur and oftentimes a sense of melancholia. Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman's performances are some of the greatest ever put to film, with each of them playing there roles with honesty. Freddie Quell is one of the most unique characters ever because of his need for purpose, his feelings of being lost, and his several erratically crazed sexual exploits throughout this masterpiece. Anderson's script is perfectly written, being enigmatic enough to where it begs the audience to pry for answers and rewatch the film for further understanding. 10/10
August 12, 2017
The Master is a film that needs multiple viewings. At first, I looked at the film as shallow but it is anything of the sorts. It has so much depth that I become invoked with the all the characters, specify Hoffman and Phoenix. Excellent performances as well as powerful ones
August 10, 2017
Watch this movie if you enjoy terrific acting otherwise it's a bit slow.
August 8, 2017
Joaquin Phoenix et Philip Seymour Hoffman illustrent la perfection dans ce chef-d'oeuvre !!!
½ August 2, 2017
As hypnotic as the practices of The Cause in the film, The Master is a multi-faceted, enigmatic piece of filmmaking, continuing the hot streak of one of the finest directors playing ball right now. Paul Thomas Anderson's tale of adjusting to post-World War II America also serves as a mesmerizing look at the complicated relationship of teacher and pupil and, whether intentional or not, a fascinating parallel to the founding of the mysterious Church of Scientology. Through Freddie Quell, drifting aimlessly like the ocean the film opens on, and Lancaster Dodd, Quell's seemingly more concrete counterpart, Anderson has crafted a complicated relationship in which two damaged individuals, each in their own way, prove to be completely entrancing figures. It helps that Anderson is working with two powerhouse talents in the form of Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman. Phoenix, always an actor completely dedicated to his character, is powerful in every scene, whether it be one filled with rage or a quieter, softer one. Hoffman is spellbinding in his charismatic turn as well, convincingly pulling off the cult leader type in a way that threatens to suck you in yourself. Also turning in great work is the ever-reliable Amy Adams, whose solid performance here may not be quite as heavy, but remains a strong Supporting presence. Shot on beautiful 65mm film, it's a masterwork of visual prowess, an absolutely vibrant display of light and color. Despite working with a new director of photography (Mihai Malaimare, rather than usual collaborator Robert Elswit), Anderson retains the same slow-moving, lingering camerawork that has become a directorial trademark of his. Once more, he's managed to deliver another filmmaking marvel, and another entry in one of the most consistent filmographies of any working director.
July 31, 2017
Thoughtful and exhausting.
July 28, 2017
Memorable performances by everyone in this, extraordinary film. Why isn't it played on TV or Netflix?
July 28, 2017
Underrated masterpiece!!! Brilliant black comedy
July 22, 2017
My favourite film of 2012 ... probably my favourite film of the decade. It's nominally the story of two men who appear quite different on the surface, but are really strikingly similar. Hoffman's Lancaster Dodd is attracted to Phoenix's Freddy Quell because they have the same ferocious, restless anger, and unlike Dodd, Quell has no desire to be restrained. Quell is attracted to Dodd because Dodd manages to get inside Quell and get him to reveal himself ... Quell is convinced Dodd's religion must have some answers. More than this, it's a meticulous recreation of the style of classical Hollywood melodramas, both in the look and in the extraordinarily controlled performances Anderson gets from his cast, but without feeling like a slavish reproduction. It's both strikingly modern and classical in style ... an extension of Anderson's work on "There Will Be Blood".
July 21, 2017
Full of raw instinct and performances, becomes a meditation of self-discovery and visual stimulation.
½ July 18, 2017
This was a good movie based on the fact that the performances in this movie were incredible, the movie also was directed beautifully by PTA and had an amazing cinematography, but that doesn't discard the fact that this movie was long and little bit boring.
July 14, 2017
Paul Thomas Anderson emprega técnicas invejáveis nos cenários e figurinos dignos de Oscar, sem falar no elenco de alto garbo liderado por Phoenix e Philip Seymour, que impressionam logo de cara, mas quando o final se aproxima e nada aglutina os argumentos e acontecimentos vistos, você começa a achar que não tem neurônios suficientes para entender a trama psicofarmacológica de Paul Anderson que tenta nos passar conceitos da enigmática cientologia.
July 8, 2017
4/5

In general, I feel that The Master as a drama film isn't as preposterously great as other Paul Thomas Anderson films, but the performances and general directing are nothing but amazing.
July 5, 2017
I love PT Anderson, but I don't know about this one. It seemed incomplete, comprised of a series of disjointed scenes. It seemed only to scratch the surface of discovering who Freddie is, who Lancaster Dodd is, and what the cult is all about. I don't know if this is by design, or what, but I will see it a second time to see if there's deeper meanings that I'm missing.
June 26, 2017
My Favorite Film Of All Time Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
½ June 11, 2017
It may not be a purposeful experience for everyone, but "The Master" is a well-acted smart drama that can be reasonably applied to the modern age of spiritual hunger.
May 24, 2017
WHEN THE CAGE IS ONLY EXISTENT WHEN THE THOSE WHOM DWELLED IN IT, MAKE IT EXIST AND GIVE IT LIFE. WHEN THE CAGE NEEDS THOSE WHOM IT HOLDS MORE THEN THE PERSON IN IT, WHOM WANTS TO BREAK OUT AND BE FREE. OFTEN SEEN IN THE TYPICAL PARENTAL AND CHILD RELATIONSHIP WHEN CHILDREN GROW UP, AND PARENTS ATTACHMENT DO NOT WANT CHILDREN TO LEAVE THE CAGE/HOME.
WHEN CHOOSING TO IGNORE ALL SIGNS OF WHAT IS TRUE OR FALSE, AND CHOOSING TO BELIEVE IN ONE OTHER STRAIGHT PATH THAT GOES IN A DIFFERENT DIRECTION, ONE IS CREATING A CULT AWAY FROM FACTS. WHEN WHAT SEEMS CREDIABLE AND TRUE IS FALSE AND UNCREDIABLE. WHEN THE ONLY THING THAT MAKES THE LIVLIHOOD OF ITS PRACTICE EXISTENT IS THOSE WHOM PRACTICE THE SAME VALUES. OFTEN SEEN IS FAMILY DYNAMICS IN THE HOME, WHEN PARENTS TEACH CHILDREN THE CULTURE AND LIFE AS THE ONLY WAY TO LIVE OR DEEMED OUTSIDER TO THOSE WHOM REFUSE TO PRACTICE IT AT ALL. THE CULT REJECTS YOU AS YOU REJECT THE CULT.
THOSE, WHOM CHOOSE TO CHOOSE MULTIPLE CULTS, OFTEN ARE THE ONES WHOM REFUSE TO DEAL WITH THE PUNISHMENT OF ABANDONMENT, AND KEEP THOSE WHOM MAKE THE EXISTENCE OF THE CAGE & CULT ALIVE INSIDE. OFTEN SEEN IN THE CHILDREN, WHOM ARE THE LAST ONE'S TO LEAVE THE HOME, OR STRUGGLE IN ITS LIVLIHOOD. OFTEN SEEN IN INSTITUTIONS OF THE HOME OR WORKPLACE. WHEN EMPLOYERS FINDS MEANS TO KEEP THEIR EMPLOYEES AT THAT WORKPLACE OR SUFFER PUNISHMENT OR HARDSHIP.
WHEN THE CAGE EVOLVES AND IT NO LONGER BECOMES A MEANS OF NURTURING BUT SURVIVAL. WHEN THOSE WHOM CONTROL WHAT IS IN THE CAGE, AND ARE ALLOWED IN AND OUT OF THE CAGE TO CREATE THE HOSITLITY IN WHOM IS INSIDE. ANY CHANGE IN THE ENVIRONMENT IN THE CAGE, THOSE WHOM ARE ADDED OR MISSING CAN ALTER WHAT LIVLIHOOD IS IN THE CAGE. OFTEN SEEN IN PARENTS WHEN HAVING CHILDREN IN THE MIX, OFTEN THE ATTENTION, FOCUS, OR SERVINGS HAVE TO BE DIVIDED OR SHARED, THUS LEAVING OTHERS WITH A SMALL SHARE.
½ March 29, 2017
This felt like a difficult book, but ultimately one I couldn't really put down. Did I 'enjoy' this film, no not really possibly not at all. I was kind of enthralled by the two central performances by Hoffman and Phoenix though. I will almost certainly never watch this film again but yet I've still spent a lot of time thinking about it. Take from that what you will.