The Master - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Master Reviews

January 18, 2017
Interesting, immaculately shot film with the usual excellence from Seymour Hoffman and an impressively exquisite central performance of a desperate, raging alcoholic by Joaquin Phoenix.
January 18, 2017
The Master is both a compelling psychological study and a tense atmospheric thriller, guided by one of the best scores of recent memory, thanks to John Greenwood, and extraordinary actings from the perfectly selected main cast. Anderson not only shows us the dread, the pain and the sense of claustrophobia of his characters, he transmits it on a visceral level. The Master feels intangible, and almost uncinematic in its trascendental meandering, but at the same time thats the reason it feels like a unique and pioneering viewing experience.
½ January 17, 2017
There's an original story. Not too sure where it was going and not too sure where it went exactly. Some sort of hypnotic tale of life into adulthood maybe. At first, I thought this was going to explain the creation of the Scientology. But no, it diverged into trying to find some solution to mental issues. Or to make money trying and winging it. Excellent acting and reenacting of the epoch.
½ November 26, 2016
"Faith changes man," is that true? Perhaps. In yet another movie of the spectacular young director Paul Thomas Anderson, he put us in the shoes of Freddie Quell (Joaquin Phoenix), a former World War II sailor who tries to rebuild his life that is completely devastated by the traumas of war, but one day He meets a man who presents him with a fairytale, to which he embarks, or not, Anderson tells us about the solitude of our lives, our plans that go wrong, and how easy it is to cling to a story in a moment of We have a very good script, although it contains a lot of belly and of course, rhythm problems (like almost all of Anderson's films), scenes with great symbologies that leave the film a little confused at a certain moment, but technically "The master "Is incredible, incredible editing, incredible sound mixing, incredible photography and extraordinary soundtrack, plus the impeccable performance of Joaquin Phoenix. Which is completely lost within his character, but not only Joaquim, all the performances in this film are impeccable. Finally, "The Master" is a movie worth its 2 hours, just embark on your story.
November 14, 2016
Everything in this movie is done perfectly.
½ October 17, 2016
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Sublimemente creada: una película perfecta para deleitarse con una obra de arte acompañada de una historia inquietante y unas impecables actuaciones (sobre todo por Joaquin Phoenix)
September 17, 2016
an incredible acting from Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman with a great script and subtle directing makes it a great movie ( i loved the prosseing scene)
½ September 15, 2016
The trailer for this movie is one of the best two-minute films I've ever seen, and renders watching the whole movie unnecessary, since it compacts in those two minutes what the two-hour film meanders to tell: a story about the struggles and the prevailing outcome of friendship between Hoffman and Phoenix.
August 31, 2016
I have yet to see a bad Phillip Seymour Hoffman movie
August 26, 2016
Don't ask me why, but I liked it. The message, should there be one, is that The Master is so useless he can't even save a self-destructive alcoholic asshole from himself. Obviously, his preferred subjects are those already in a good place. A placebo-peddling sawbones, and a legend in his own mind.
August 20, 2016
i love this movie guy
August 18, 2016
160806: This film was so strange it took me awhile to do the review. Keeps you captured. Dumbfounding comes to mind. Not sure the purpose of the story. In some ways entertaining, likely due to Joaquin Phoenix's intriguing character Freddie Quell. Liked Hoffman and Adams as well but felt a bit uncomfortable often. I can't give it more than 2 stars at this time.
½ August 13, 2016
Pretty dull. Hard to get through. Can't ignore the talent tho.
August 12, 2016
Phoenix and Seymour Hofman were brilliant but the story was ultimately quite boring.
½ August 2, 2016
Slow, boring, bad acting, no plot, nonesense like Scientology.
½ July 27, 2016
Paul Thomas Anderson expertly crafts his shots with beautiful precision to help this raw story be told with an engrossing and unique soundtrack which helps a film where all our main actors show off the best of their talents.
July 14, 2016
''Eu sou um escritor, físico teórico, existencialista, bioquímico...Mas acima de tudo, um homem curioso, como você.''
July 11, 2016
I never knew Joaquin Phoenix was as fine an actor as in this movie
½ June 12, 2016
An interesting look at a cult, with plenty of similarities to Scientology. I never fully connected to Freddie (Phoenix) - the alcoholic drifter - so I found it hard to care what happened to him or his involvement with 'the Cause'. Everyone's good, particularly Seymour Hoffman as the Master, but he's arguably a side character to Freddie's search for... something/nothing, and Adams is underused. Plenty of story threads that go nowhere and plenty of drawn out scenes. Some nice moments and some funny moments, but overall, it's slightly too incoherent and unfulfilling.
June 7, 2016