The Nun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Nun Reviews

February 17, 2019
I enjoyed this movie! I loved the jump scares. I find the nun absolutely terrifying as a monster. I do not understand why it had such bad reviews.
February 16, 2019
A pack of Rottweilers wearing nun outfits chase around a priest, an almost nun, and a guy with STDs for what seems like 2 hours. You can apparently kill demon/ghosts with shotguns, or chop their heads off. The Nun just looks like an ugly chick with shark teeth, and apparently she came up through a crack in the floor, which they seal with Christ's blood. Also fixing the churches plumbing problem - two birds one stone. (The nun doesn't respect anything related to God BUT she can't handle the blood of Jesus, that's where she calls it quits.) Taissa farmiga is super hot though, so atleast there's that - she earned the film an extra star.
½ February 14, 2019
This is the WORST film I've ever seen, and I've watched Afghan Knights.
February 14, 2019
For the conjuring franch fans like me, it was a must just to full understand the history and time line of some events... but it lost is way... not a really horror movie like i want it... sad!
½ February 13, 2019
Missing the original director of these movies truely a flop
½ February 8, 2019
Well, I must say I am disappointed. Being a part of The Conjuring universe you expect some quality jump scares even if the rest of the movie is bad. This film is a little mixed with both. The two main characters were the best part, both actors did really well and their characters were likable, but the others I could not give a hoot about. The story could have been a lot better; they rushed it to where stuff just happens and made no sense. The jump scares were okay but I called each one of them out, so I did not get the full shocked experience. I must say, watching this movie makes me want to watch the others, so it did get my attention. But for a starter, I‚(TM)m not satisfied with The Conjuring universe.
½ February 7, 2019
Vow To No More Wow.

The Nun

Hardy's drama is, yes, scary, but also comes with a ton of baggage that cannot be negotiated. This is what I have loved and flinched about this franchise, it dares constraint the all mighty power- "God Ends Here" it whispers- but fumbles to prove it. This mixed feeling is what's left in your hand at the end of the exorcism, is it a marketing tease or inadequacy, only God knows; if it is in its territory. The knack for drawing out humor and delivering cliched cinematic dialogues in an extremely tensed environment disenchants the viewers from its dark perilous vision and compromises the quality.

Antics are smart enough to scar you let alone scare you, but as much as gripping as these sequences are, the build up of them aren't weaved out with clean execution, there is a lot of uncertainty in their own laws, the mythology lacks the malleability to blatantly announce or demand their rights. This installment is the most animated of all, and surprisingly the scariest of all, the neat environment and the poised nature of the demons is something to be inspired from.

The real culprit is the predictability of the film, not for the characters, but for the sequences that the maker loves immensely, it aches you to see someone with so much effort working on one big hokum. There is no other room for the cast to invest, it is all Farmiga, from the curse to the blessing. If this is a horror served us by the makers, she comes off as the impenetrable beauty, the kryptonite to the evil, her performance justifies all the work done by her elder sister in previous installments. The Nun is worthy of a vow as far as thrills are concerned, drama has to be searched for and later be disappointed by.
½ February 6, 2019
The Nun holds a great cast but lacks a great story to tell.
½ February 5, 2019
This movie lacks the horror of the Conjuring series and it's definitely a horror flop of the year.
February 5, 2019
I hope this is the end of the Conjuring Universe because it can't get much worse than this.
½ February 1, 2019
The movie was hands down BAD they have like one min to see the origins of the main characters just when parts are doing so well BAM it becomes dumb
½ January 31, 2019
The cast helped a lot of bringing fun and interest, but the whole final work is just a mess comparing to the other The Conjuring Universe movies. There are a lot of plot holes, the nun image isn't scary as we though it would be and the story is full of noneffective jumpscares. Unfortunately this movie destroys the scary imposing image of the nun that The Conjuring 2 left.
January 30, 2019
I'm always willing to watch something set in the conjuring universe, and this film doesn't disappoint. It does fall prey to some cliches and horror tropes but overall was enjoyable.
January 30, 2019
Great movie! Based on others opinions I didn't want to watch it but I had to because of the Conjuring 2. It is great!
½ January 29, 2019
What a sad attempt at horror. Filled with clichês and plot conveniences, the climax is almost laughable. Seriously, I has close to considering this movie to be a comedy.
January 26, 2019
Not sure why this movie got such low ratings, thought it was a good movie that kept you on the edge of your seat. Solid 8.5/10 movie that you can watch again and still be entertained.
January 26, 2019
The anticipation of this movie may have floored it a bit for me, but my son summed it up best: The first 5 minutes was "WOW", and the other 91 minutes "Meh". It just falls (way) short of something from the films in The Conjuring Universe and it just never quite gets off the ground. I appreciate many horror films that don't necessarily have to scare you silly with jump scenes, and have that "feeling of dread" as the horror part, but this lacks both. If you are into the collection, you'll need to see it to tie up some loose ends, but if you haven't seen the Conjuring parts, it'll make zero sense and basically be a waste of your time.
January 26, 2019
Very disappointed when trailer was actually scarier than the movie
½ January 19, 2019
2.5 stars for good acting/casting/set-costume design and story BUT the dialog was so heavily laden w pro Catholic Church propaganda that it completely took me out of the story. Wonder how much money the Vatican sunk for this obvious propaganda piece. I mean the blood Christ still liquid after 2000 years - come on! Would‚(TM)ve been better if it was the blood of some saint.

*note to history buffs - story was lifted from true life spooky story of Hungary‚(TM)s Castle Houska and it‚(TM)s doorway to hell beneath the castle. The real life castle was built on top of the gateway to keep the evil in. A hauntingly mysterious & historic place.
½ January 18, 2019
By using too many jump scares and borrowing every cliches is why The Nun failed in becoming a standout horror movies. Mumbling storyline and fuzzy characters also help the movie becoming more confusing.