The Party - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Party Reviews

½ October 13, 2018
An assembly of greats: Kristen Scott Thomas, Patricia Clarkson and Bruno Ganz, joined now by Timothy Spall.
October 6, 2018
One of those stripped down movies that could be a play. Outstanding human drama and black comedy, excellent script, plot and performances, very intelligent and engaging. Here's a game: the actor who plays Gottfried - where have you seen him before?
September 11, 2018
I absolutely adored this movie darling! The mixture of characters who know each other through a mutual friend but are not actually friends describes a London dinner party to a tee. Yes the characters are self absorbed and flaky but that is how most Londoners are, perhaps the detractors from the reviews below have never been to a London party! Spall's acting was so convincing that I thought he was actually going to die for real at any moment and Murphy's portrayal of the 'wanker banker'. I was in hysterical for most of the second half but be warned that this is a black comedy and the jokes are not actually funny.
September 7, 2018
A really cool movie that's small space makes it feel like it must have been a play at some point. Each character is funny and distinct. All of them riddled with conviction and hypocrisy. A great movie with a lot of things to say about the traditional family structure and how we treat the people we grow accustomed to and take for granted. There is a gun introduced early in the movie, and tracking its progress is funny and nerve-wracking. The ending is what really sells the movie though, brilliant stuff.
August 31, 2018
A dark comedy where Patricia Clarkson has the snarkiest lines of all the actors. It's a talky movie but I found it enjoyable.
½ August 26, 2018
Closed-room ensemble piece is a cleverly sinister black comedy so well directed and played you nearly miss recognizing the dark humour.
August 16, 2018
Overall, The Party is a quick, fun and interesting film. Its strongest point is the characters and the actors as they all interact with each other. The film does builds up to a "twist" which I found was rather predictable, nevertheless it's still entertaining and creative.
- Finesse Movie Reviews
½ July 20, 2018
This "dark comedy" is so dark you can't see the comedy...or anything else but pseudo-intellectual pretentiousness. To put the frosting on the pretentious cake: it is filmed in black & white, for no earthly reason. The direction is atrocious, resulting in over-acting, needed I guess because the script is so badly done, with no purpose or meaningful outcome. Two characters are played by American actors playing, I suppose, Americans, but who speak using British idiom. Evidently Ms. Potter does not know how to write American characters. The only positive is that thank goodness it is only 71 minutes in length including the credits. Whew. Then there are cliched lines like "I love you more than life itself." "I fear losing you to our [new] sons." "Have I wasted my life on a mirage?" "How has it come to this?" It does have a clever twist ending, thus I give it 1.5 stars instead of 1. What a waste of talented actors.
July 15, 2018
(singing) why oh why would i watch this doodoo, oh why oh why this poo poo. supposedly a comedy but there were two instances where i barely smiled, and never laughed once. super garbo garbo garbo. the only reason i didn't quit is casue it's so short and i finished it on fast speed. not my kind of movie at all. i get what they were going for, just didn't do anything for me. like at all (1 viewing)

SPOILERS

i thought the final shot twist was kind of clever, but having to go thru this terrible of a movie just to get to that twist is NOT worth it. turns out the girl that the husband is leaving her for is the same girl she is having an affair with, we just assumed it was a man based on her getting calls and text messages. it gave me a few goosebumps thinking back on the rest of the movie and is the ONLY reason this didn't get a half star rating.
½ June 19, 2018
Sątira a todo el sistema que funciona.
June 7, 2018
It's like Potter staged only Act 2 of a decent play, revelations abound but we aren't invested in any of them. One hell of cast can't make up for the weak characters
½ May 30, 2018
somebody has to be willing to disclose that this movie is awful - can't believe it based on the first string cast but it's terrible - especially Cilllian Murphy who overacts dreadfully - which may have worked if this was a play where overacting can be necessary, but here it's actually out of place since everyone else isn't in a play - the stellar cast cannot save a plainly bad story and no reason for this movie to be made or seen - like what's the point?
½ May 25, 2018
t's not entirely satisfying but Potter delivers a darkly delicious comedy of manners.
½ May 23, 2018
Horrible movie. Worst script. Waste of good actors. Waste of time
May 20, 2018
Fascinating. Captivating. Beautifully shot.
May 20, 2018
Janet is hosting an intimate gathering at home to celebrate her promotion to Shadow Minister of Health. This dark comedy will not appeal to all. It has received a mixed reception from movie critics.

Filmed in black-and-white, the running time is short - just over an hour. The emphasis is on the characters and the dialogue with less-than-realistic home-and-garden scenery straight from an Agatha Christie stage play.

The invitees know each other so well that the sharp wit does not offend too deeply. Eccentricity is rife with characters behaving outrageously and the ensemble of seven actors over-acting like crazy.

I found it highly entertaining and thoroughly enjoyed it.
May 8, 2018
Just FYI, the Party is political, not a masterchef successor. should I faithfully stay or should I selfishly go is the question, and these intellectuals show the left-wing has no better moral values than trump.
April 28, 2018
All shot in one location, this feels more like a domestic comedy of errors stage play than a movie. Which is to say that it is not cinematic and relies heavily on script and performance. I was drawn by the heavy hitting cast but the good performances do not redeem the one-note-ness of the characters, nor the somewhat clumsy plot turns that, although they pack some surprise, deliver next to no emotional investment in any of the characters and leave the audience detached and somewhat relieved when the play, ( I mean movie) ends at around the 70 minute mark..
½ April 24, 2018
Where was the antagonist? If a writer sets out to depict the post-post political world then write it. Don't flinch and turn away. Let's see the baddie in all her cancerous glory. Let's see the woman that set so many sets of teeth on edge, had so many dentures falling on the floor. Patricia Clarkson and Bruno were great. Kristen half-written, ditto for hubby Tim Spall. But where was all the politics. This is the post-post-left. So let's hear it and them. Dying men especially academics can be very expressive. Kristin wasn't just going to throw her career away. Okay in some areas half-written can be effective but this wasn't Pinter. Perhaps in bits. The central task of making this piece of theatre a film was left undone. Given that, and few kicks, a fight and and a make-up of sorts, beginning middle and proper end and many many more good lines the good start might not have been left half done. I left the theatre thinking where was Tilda Swinton. Now Tilda as femme fatale would given this pudding some spice.