The Party - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Party Reviews

February 24, 2018
This is a laugh out loud festival of quips, twists and turns.
½ February 23, 2018
Pretentious and absurdly, depressingly bad.
If this is food for thought I'd rather eat a chocolate dictionary.
February 21, 2018
With a short run time of 1 hour 11 minutes, this is one party I wish had lasted at least 20 minutes longer. The writing /dialogue is witty, intelligent, hilarious and loads of fun. As secrets are revealed, the dynamics shift creating endless possibilities for drama and laughs. Patricia Clarkson, Kristin Scott Thomas and the top notch cast deliver an unforgettable evening.
February 16, 2018
Short, witty farce. People dealing with adversity. Sort of.
February 15, 2018
A cute, funny, back-and-white little pearl. The acting of basically everyone is just the backbone of it.
February 13, 2018
Saw it this evening and want to see it again.
February 12, 2018
I definitely plan to see this in the future but I'm not sure when
February 6, 2018
will not watch this boring looking movie w/no POC in it. nope! hard pass!
February 4, 2018
How the chattering classes must love this. A bunch of heavyweight thesps filmed in black and white doing their damnedest for a BAFTA. It is so up it's own arse it beggars belief. A plodding storyline delivered with insane intensity. The clumsy attempts at humour. The self- congratulatory nature of it all. The ending that comes from a mile away. The overwhelming smell of ham. To top it all, I saw this in an independent cinema in Totnes. It doesn't come any more Guardian reader than that, does it? I couldn't wait to get out. And neither could my friend or a fair number of the rest of the audience. The rest of them? Oh, I'm sure they'll be at a dinner party right now recommending it to all and sundry along with the latest subtitled epic about a gender-conflicted yak herder from Ulan Bator filmed in Mongolian dialect through a beta max hand held for forty quid while the director was on the run from the Chinese authorities. Like Mongolian yak herders? Then you'll love Spall et al in this, darling.
January 24, 2018
I will go to see anything starring Kristin Scott Thomas. Terrific actress.
January 18, 2018
an interesting mystery..
January 14, 2018
disappointing. the script seemed a bit farcical and low quality, and all felt quite over-acted.
January 10, 2018
What did I just Watch??! Just went in to see this movie without knowing what it was and spent my time in complete bemusement as I pculdnt believe what was happening. The events and comments were so random and unbelievable that they were hilarious. It was only an hour long though, and finishes at the good part. Honestly don't know how to explain how bewildered I am
½ January 6, 2018
"The party" is a great witty experience, with more than a few laugh-worthy moments and a nice twist. Very big
stoner-watching potential.
January 4, 2018
Interesting, but ends when it is about to get going again?
January 1, 2018
Fab charming flix, wonderful P. Clarkson, almost a one woman-show !
December 26, 2017
Was black and white a post or pre consideration? The gray is the philosophical paradigm... Okay I love this orgy of talent; but the one house scenario becomes claustrophobic...
December 24, 2017
Um dos melhores filmes que me foi dado ver neste ano. Uma comédia-negra em formato widescreen a preto e branco - pois então! -, intensa e mordaz, por vezes hilariante e com desempenhos só ao alcance de grandes actores. Pelo meio ainda dá para a guitarra portuguesa de mestre Carlos Paredes no tema "Verdes Anos", Imperdível.
December 20, 2017
Brilliantly written and directed....thank you Sally Potter for a truly funny mature film! Finally! As a mature woman, it was absolutely wonderful to experience all the emotional dynamics in the film. No matter any reviews...everyone will feel it worth seeing! If you are a film aficionado...don't miss this one!
½ December 12, 2017
Wonderful acting carries the film. Although filled with wit and satire, it does have moments where it becomes overblown, but several fantastic portrayals are able to reign it in and keep its dark, sharp undertones in check.
"Tom: No money is clean. It all comes through the system and into your pockets. Your grubby little pockets!"