The Purge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Purge Reviews

June 17, 2017
looks great but the idea of crime being legal to improve crime rates is the stupidest thing ive heard ever
½ June 6, 2017
What ruins this movie is the fact that it all could have been avoided if the kid didn't open up the door. That is about all you miss is a family not wanting to get killed on a night everything is legal because their asshole kid let someone in. This movie lacks in being scary, bloody or a suspense. It is also very predictable on how it ends.
½ May 24, 2017
how ever grounded its concept maybe the purge is not thrilling the acting is dull with the exception of Ethan Hawk a film of disappointment
April 26, 2017
Average flick - Interesting concept... done on a small scale, I guess that's what the 2nd & 3rd installment are for (see on a larger scale & get more of a view of how others handle the yearly event) - I'll be watching the next chapters of it soon... Good flick for those that like a mold suspense flick.
April 24, 2017
The Purge was the most accurate representation of a world without religion to keep the psychopaths from doing what their first instinct says them to do in case of a conflict without an exit
½ April 21, 2017
I had kind of hoped this would be good. It started off interestingly enough. The build up had potential and then it just failed to deliver.
½ March 31, 2017
Una mierda innecesaria.
½ March 12, 2017
I could rip this franchise as a whole all day long, but let's stick to the basics. Ex machina out the wazoo, recycled cliches, and questionable direction leads this movie to the bottom of the barrel. It almost felt a rehash of the far superior film The Strangers. The only difference being hey we are trying to make a statement directed to society.......YAWN! Standard disposable home invasion movie bottom line.
½ March 11, 2017
Cleanse your soul. What if this were to happen for real? We need this. This kind of behavior is immoral. All thoughts that you will find racing through your head as you take the irresistible ride through the eyes of a family just trying to survive the night. From the beginning you are faced with the Sandin clan who are placed in an impossible situation, either give up "the homeless swine" who has found refuge within their homes or face inevitability. The film deals with the element of morality and ultimately forces the family's patriarch, Ethan Hawke's character James to make sacrifices. The film proves that no matter the situation, no matter how much money or isolation you can provide, no one is every completely safe, not from their friends nor complete strangers. The thrill of the Purge are fueled by hatred and our own intense desires to release our inner beast!
March 4, 2017
A great original idea! That main purger does a great job being really creepy.
February 26, 2017
Stupid Idea, Story, Characters, Acting.... everything is Awful and this movie makes me so Angry!
February 19, 2017
It's good horror movie to watch
February 14, 2017
Great thrill ride might buy some day love the purge movies
½ February 7, 2017
Bit shit. This is just silly the whole film I was just thinking it made no sense
½ February 3, 2017
A very silly premise pretty poorly executed.
January 27, 2017
Good idea, poor execution, it became so bad it was funny.
January 11, 2017
Very interesting. Enjoyed very much.
½ January 4, 2017
I can see the interest in the idea, but the use of some some lower tier actors and poor devilment left the movie just that. An interesting idea for a movie and not quite fleshed out all the way.
December 23, 2016
I was actually not a big fan of the first film. Perhaps it was the lack of a strong plot that did not quite fit well with me.
½ December 1, 2016
Better than expected, but could have been so much more.