The Purge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Purge Reviews

½ December 1, 2016
Better than expected, but could have been so much more.
November 23, 2016
The premise is very interesting, and while there were a lot of different ways the script could have gone, The Purge feels like nothing more than a wasted opportunity.
Almost every character makes a choice that is either needlessly irrational or just utterly stupid, either way, it makes them all very unlikable.
½ November 18, 2016
The idea has a great potential and it raises the expectations to some next level violence, but on the contrary it was soft and immature. Seemed like whoever wrote it had some deep grudges over how EARNING money works.
½ November 14, 2016
Cleverly balancing traditional home-invasion frights with a dystopian worldview, The Purge is a nail-bitingly tense economic parable that uses futuristic madness as a springboard for a timely franchise, although writer-director James DeMonaco plays it a bit safe once the violence gets going.
November 14, 2016
While I enjoy the way the characters handle the annual Purge with a decent amount of nonchalance and reverent fear, I don't think the film gives enough reasoning for this national event. It is, however, morally fascinating, especially the decisions the central family has to make. A fairly ingenious premise that effectively plays on the disparity between America's rich and poor, letdown by becoming a second-rate home invasion flick.
November 3, 2016
The movie was ok but the people in the movie made a lot of dumb choices
½ November 2, 2016
Fun concept but poorly executed.
November 1, 2016
- The opening character said "Home again home again, jiggity jig."
- "Timmy" is a burnt baby doll with camera eyes glued to a remote control tank. It's way creepier than whatever you're thinking now.
- The idea of "The Purge" reminds me of the short story "The Lottery" and "The Running Man". How future dystopian societies cope with population control is...brutal. This movie has interesting political underpinnings that eerily mirror current society.
- There is a fishbowl filled with giant-sized dominos. People are weird.
- There's weird and then there's stupid. Henry is currently exhibiting a truckload of the latter.
- Aww yeah. Shit just got real. Mental note: don't give the disarm codes to the 11 yo.
- If murder is legal until a prescribed time, does it count if someone steps in a poison bear trap after the deadline?
- The lead actress is the warrior queen from 300. Now she's a blubbering waif. The former would not stand for what's currently happening and would have this whole situation under control.
- That...that appears to be an angry mob.
- That's an interesting Clockwork Orange twist.
- "We are going to ride the rest of this night out in motherfucking peace."
October 10, 2016
Pretty good looking forward to seeing what comes next
½ October 6, 2016
With such an awesome idea behind the story and a leading performance from Ethan Hawke, The Purge had enough dramatic potential to demand my attention.

The Purge has an incredible concept. Set in the not-too-distant future, America is in a state of minimal crime, violence and unemployment due to the legalization of the titular Purge. This is an annual period of 12 hours in which it becomes completely legal to commit any crime, including murder. The fact that the script in The Purge goes out of its way to emphasize the psychological benefits of having The Purge active in America displays that there has clearly been a lot of thought put into the film. It's discussed that The Purge works as a time of release for the psychotics among society to let out all their rage and insanity. The subject matter surrounding The Purge is one which will always have relevance since reducing crime rates is an endless mission for society, and for a film to tackle such subject with a concept of rich potential sounded extremely engaging.
Really, it ended up being a film better for its ambitions than its actual narrative grasp. The Purge is not that much of a deep film. I didn't expect that it would be the most meaningful experience, but since it is bent on relying on the small scale of the home invasion thriller formula it needs to find ways to stand out from the crowd. Unfortunately, the actual aspect of the story promised by its title ends up being a simplistic afterthought in a narrative which is riddled with cliches. Given the few selective characters in the film there should really be some development so that the audience can care about them for reasons outside of simple obligation, but the film never progresses to that point. It touches upon some of the aforementioned ideas before stalling on the constraints of its budgetary limitations.
Given that The Purge has a budget of only $3 million, there is only so much it can do with its concept. So rather than attempting to be a big spectacle of a dystopian society, The Purge adgeres to the home invasion formula. The central narrative ends up drawing much inspiration from the John Carpenter action-thriller classic Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) which was actually remade in 2005 with Ethan Hawke in the lead role. The protagonist's family ends up providing refuge for a stray attempting to estape a hoard of psychopaths which leads to them intitating an all out war with the man and his family. It's frustrating enough that the film relies on formula, but the fact that the premise is so similar to another Ethan Hawke film makes the familiarity of the text all the more recognizable. With only 85 minutes of running time there isn't all that much room to expand beyond the generic limitations of the home invasion thriller formula, so its ideals end up playing second fiddle to a flurry of predictable dialogue and violence.
There are moments that hint at how the film could have been something more, but these just serve as a reminder of The Purge's shortcomings when it fails to live up to them. This is a real downfall for The Purge because when the characters attempt to provide insight into why their freedom to engage in violence is a purge for their souls and their violent obsessions, the fact that it is limited to so few words makes it seem like a cheap gimmick. The language is so limited in how much the story allows it to explore that the result is rather tacky, and so the motivations of the villains comes off as frustrating in the process. Essentially, The Purge functions as a decent genre picture but fails to establish anything beyond it while faltering in its attempts to.
But for what it's worth, The Purge is a comptenently made film. Even though there isn't always that much happening within the story, director James DeMonaco clearly knows how to build an atmosphere because he keeps things intense the entire time. Confinding the story to a singular location, James DeMonaco builds a claustophobic atmosphere through a mix of visuals and sound editing. The Purge uses a lot of extremely close-up scenery which emphasizes the imagery in everything it captures, and in the process it helps to empower the small scale of the story. The Purge also makes an intense use of silence and echoes along with a subtle musical score. The experience is a genuinely intense one at times, and it shows that the director is able to effectively work around a small budget to make a thrilling experience. The Purge isn't a great film, but it is a strong examination of the potential of James DeMonaco as a filmmaker.
A lot of the intensity in the film can be attributed to the performances of the cast, led by the talents of Ethan Hawke. Ethan Hawke is the ideal casting decision as the lead in The Purge largely because he is a recognizable actor yet he is not one of such contemporary significance that his star power would detract from embracing his character. He emits the feeling of an everyman which is exactly what the character James Sandin needs, and with an actor as genuinely talented as Ethan Hawke the performance is memorable. Ethan Hawke strips away anything iconic about himself to portray James Sandin, peeling back the layers to expose his humanity. As a result, we have a performance which is consistently riddled with intense fear and uncertainty rather than Hollywood heroism, and with such strong humanity in the part we see the heroic elements of his character coming off as being far more convincing. Ethan Hawke leads The Purge with a performance rich in tension both in his line delivery and with his physical movements, never dropping out of the character and making the situation of the film seem like a reality. He delivers a very solid leading effort.
Lena Headey is also a great casting decision. Given the wide recognition she has earned for portraying Cersei Lannister in Game of Thrones (2011-present) one would think that it would be harder to separate the two, yet with slight alterations to her appearance and an emphasis more on the archetype her character represents than any particular individuality she seamlessly delivers a convincing effort. Sharing an intense chemistry with Ethan Hawke, the two of them work off each other very well to both make convincing portrayals of suburban archetypes. And Lena Headey proves more emotionally frail of the two, making her sporadic moments of heroism all the more striking as a result. She really gets deep down into the emotional state of the character and develops very well across the narrative, exiting the story numb from all the trauma her character experiences. It's refreshing to see Lena Headey taking on such a simple role because her talent for character acting is very distinctive, and The Purge proves that she can separate herself from her legacy for a far more simplistic role. Lena Headey makes an engaging duo with Ethan Hawke and a very intense presence of her own right.

The Purge's low budget doesn't prevent James DeMonaco from creating an intense atmosphere or wringing some powerful performances out of its lead actors, but it does prevent him from taking advantage of his story potential and leaves it mired in home-invasion conventions.
October 1, 2016
Honestly, it's the worst of the series despite being the progenitor. The suburbia commentary has been done and done better and to death. It scores points for setting up the universe and the series.
September 30, 2016
It's not a bad movie, could be worse. This movie shows an interesting perspective to solve the problems that society have today. Unfortunately, is that same idea that kills the movie in a way. As times progresses, we become more and more disconnected from the concept of the movie because we know, in a way, the outcome and don't accept the idea that they transmit. I know this is a metaphor from these days but I think that this could've been solved with other type of narrative. Still, watch the movie and get your own conclusions.
½ September 23, 2016
Too predictable and tepid to hold the audience for a full 80 minutes.
September 23, 2016
I'm one of the rare people that actually enjoyed this movie. This movie felt so new. There is no other horror movie like this one. Although the scares were just recycled from other movies, this movie had its own suspense and terror with it. This movie also kept me entertained which is a really good sign. Overall the purge will get an A-.
½ September 19, 2016
A fairly entertaining movie with a solid premise. The acting isn't the best and it suffers from kid characters that exist just to make stupid decisions that drive the plot.
September 18, 2016
The Purge is a very underrated film. I am a huge fan of the story and how it is told in this film. A very unusual story to be told in film and I personally haven't seen anything like it before.
September 18, 2016
Boring. It is stupid no good. The Purge is a movie that is tiny bit slow about 10 to 15 Mins of this movie is just people in the dark waiting to kill the villains, and the plot of it is bad and dumb.
I give it a 30%.
½ September 15, 2016
The Purge (2013)
Starring:Ethan Hawke, Lena Headey,Max Burkholder,Adelaide Kane,Rhys Wakefield,Tony Oller,Edwin Hodge,Tom Yi,Arija Bareikis, Chris Mulkey,Tisha French,and Dana Bunch
Directed by James DeMonaco
Review
ONE NIGHT A YEAR, ALL CRIME IS LEGAL
Hello Kiddies your pal the crypt-critic here with a lazy piece shriek that will make you want to cleanse yourself like the murders do in this movie. The Purge is a twenty-thirteen horror slash political thriller brought you by the people who gave us great modern horror classics such as Paranormal Activity 4(SUCKS!),Sinister(Best horror film in years).This film will change everything you know about horror movies,one critic called this movie "The most important horror movie ever" and I strongly agree with him or her. Oh my goodness I can't take it anymore, I tried, I really, really tried, The Purge is the worst movie ever!
This movie should have it's name changed to wasted potential or maybe the purse,since you know the year it came the audience put all there hard-earned money into it which is sad really. When I say this movie made money I mean it made a house load of money.
The Premise is that all crime is legal for one night a year which sounds interesting,so naturally just for that concept anyone would see this horror flick,but then we have it turn into a generic slasher where Ethan is playing well hell I don't remember his characters name because characters, what characters? He crated a house defense system for his and other homes during purge night,but when a random homeless man is outside begging for help his son let's him in. Oh boy doesn't win the child of the year award for stupid. Their is a cult waiting for this homeless man to be delivered to them so they can purge.
But the problem with the concept is while realistic,stupid realistic cause it's stupid but it could happen, how could they justify such an idea? One night a year anyone can kill anyone for funzies. How did this get started?, in a politically correct world like ours especially in America how would they get away with something like that? and lastly how did the government come up with this idea?
The setting isn't even all that cause while it is a realistic house in a somewhat nice neighborhood, it's just lame and boring this movie has no fun it tries to be way too serious and fails miseberly?
None of the elements of a good horror film are in this movie,setting lame,concept cool but at the same time tries to be taken way too seriously and is pretty stupid,acting well like I said what characters? I give The Purge a half out of five.
September 14, 2016
The Purge tries and fails to make a satire film by not only using wrong plot points, but also taking itself way to seriously, making it bland and utterly annoying to watch.
½ September 9, 2016
I can tolerate the premise, but not the shoddy execution.