The Purge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Purge Reviews

August 16, 2017
The Purge has a great premise and a few genuinely scary moments, but it's brought down by unrelatable characters, poor writing, confusing editing, and far too many cliches.
½ August 8, 2017
Creepy, disturbing, really enjoyed it.
½ August 6, 2017
seen it all before done better i.e. clockwork orange, funnny games.
½ July 31, 2017
Some good twists but I think I'm just not a Purge movie fan
July 15, 2017
Taken a while to get round to this film. Was keen on seeing it, but missed it at the cinema.
Overall...it was..well...just ok.
The concept is fantastic and opens up all sorts of moral and philosophical questions.
Does a better, safer America for the rest of the year justify the single night of wrong? Can murder ever be justified?
It is definitely survival of the fittest over a very long night as James (Ethan Hawke) and his family are besieged by a group of young, bloody thirsty 'purgers'. The impression is that this group relish the killing as a hobby rather than an opportunity to cleanse their souls..as is the purpose of the hellish event.
The cast is fairly solid. A very believable turn from Lena Headey as the distraught (but petty badass) mother. Also a delightfully creepy performance from Rhys Wakefield as the leader of the purging gang. All psycho smiles and politeness. Keen to see him in other roles. The cinematography is also very good, inkeeping with the low lighting, slow camera movements and subtle editing of your modern horror.
Where this film lets itself down is it's predictability. I second guessed the plot at every single turn and so nothing surprised me (excluding a few 'wtf' moments here and there).
A brilliant idea for a film and nicely shot...just nothing special.
½ July 11, 2017
An interesting concept that fails due to dumb decisions. If it only happens in the United States, why not just go somewhere else? Not recommended
July 5, 2017
A very original concept that gets held back by taking place in one setting and relying on cliches. The home invasion aspect made for a few thrilling scenes, but ultimately felt like, "that's it?"
June 17, 2017
looks great but the idea of crime being legal to improve crime rates is the stupidest thing ive heard ever
½ June 6, 2017
What ruins this movie is the fact that it all could have been avoided if the kid didn't open up the door. That is about all you miss is a family not wanting to get killed on a night everything is legal because their asshole kid let someone in. This movie lacks in being scary, bloody or a suspense. It is also very predictable on how it ends.
½ May 24, 2017
how ever grounded its concept maybe the purge is not thrilling the acting is dull with the exception of Ethan Hawk a film of disappointment
April 26, 2017
Average flick - Interesting concept... done on a small scale, I guess that's what the 2nd & 3rd installment are for (see on a larger scale & get more of a view of how others handle the yearly event) - I'll be watching the next chapters of it soon... Good flick for those that like a mold suspense flick.
April 24, 2017
The Purge was the most accurate representation of a world without religion to keep the psychopaths from doing what their first instinct says them to do in case of a conflict without an exit
½ April 21, 2017
I had kind of hoped this would be good. It started off interestingly enough. The build up had potential and then it just failed to deliver.
½ March 31, 2017
Una mierda innecesaria.
½ March 12, 2017
I could rip this franchise as a whole all day long, but let's stick to the basics. Ex machina out the wazoo, recycled cliches, and questionable direction leads this movie to the bottom of the barrel. It almost felt a rehash of the far superior film The Strangers. The only difference being hey we are trying to make a statement directed to society.......YAWN! Standard disposable home invasion movie bottom line.
½ March 11, 2017
Cleanse your soul. What if this were to happen for real? We need this. This kind of behavior is immoral. All thoughts that you will find racing through your head as you take the irresistible ride through the eyes of a family just trying to survive the night. From the beginning you are faced with the Sandin clan who are placed in an impossible situation, either give up "the homeless swine" who has found refuge within their homes or face inevitability. The film deals with the element of morality and ultimately forces the family's patriarch, Ethan Hawke's character James to make sacrifices. The film proves that no matter the situation, no matter how much money or isolation you can provide, no one is every completely safe, not from their friends nor complete strangers. The thrill of the Purge are fueled by hatred and our own intense desires to release our inner beast!
March 4, 2017
A great original idea! That main purger does a great job being really creepy.
February 26, 2017
Stupid Idea, Story, Characters, Acting.... everything is Awful and this movie makes me so Angry!
February 19, 2017
It's good horror movie to watch
February 14, 2017
Great thrill ride might buy some day love the purge movies