The Shack - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shack Reviews

July 15, 2017
Very good movie with the same spirit as the book
July 15, 2017
The best movie you will ever see
July 14, 2017
"It is well-acted and obviously it has good intentions but "The Shack" has the feel of an overlong Hallmark Hall of Fame presentation"
DVD Movie Review: The Shack
Date Viewed: May 22 2017
Directed By Stuart Hazeldine (Exam)
Screenplay By John Fusco, Andrew Lanham and Destin Cretton, Based on the novel by William P. Young
Starring: Sam Worthington, Octavia Spencer, Radha Mitchell, Tim McGraw, Avraham Aviv Alush, Sumire Matsubara, Alice Braga, Gage Munroe, Megan Charpentier, Amelie Eve and Graham Greene.

It's uplifting package of spirituality but it just didn't cut it for me. "The Shack" is the latest in a long line of mainstream Christian movies that have come out over the past few years. What's different about this faith-based film is that God is being portrayed by an African-American female. She's played by none other than the always likeable Octavia Spencer. How can you not like her? She's a fine and risk-taking actress but playing God (whose real name is actually Papa) in a Christian movie? That's taking things a little too sucky don't you think?

Based on the sleeper bestselling book from Canadian author William P. Young, "The Shack" centers around a father and his devastating family tragedy. Mack Phillips' (Sam Worthington) life gets shattered one day when his youngest daughter, Missy (Amelie Eve) vanishes without a trace during a camping trip. The police later find her torn dress and blood in a vacant shack and they determine that she was slain by a mass murderer.

Mack's teenage daughter, Kate (Megan Charpentier) blames herself for her little sister's death because her reckless behavior caused her father to save her and her brother, Josh (Gage Munroe) instead of looking out for Missy. This family tragedy derails Mack's life as well as his faith but one day during winter time he receives an unstamped letter in his mailbox. The note is signed "Papa" which was Missy's name for God and he wants Mack to meet him at the shack.

Thinking that there's possibly a chance to catch the killer who took away her daughter, Mack goes to the shack only to discover that's it's broken, desolate and empty. Consumed with anger and frustration, Mack almost has the temptation to kill himself but he later finds himself in a more harmonious place and he encounters three strangers. An African-American woman named "Papa" (Spencer) a.k.a. God, a hippie fellow known as Jesus (Avraham Aviv Alush) and Sarayu (Sumire Matsubara) a.k.a. the Holy Spirit.

As the three spiritual strangers comfort their guest, Mack is trying to find an understanding into why Missy died because even though his wife, Nan (Radha Mitchell) is doing her hardest to keep her family together, his two remaining children are on the verge of distancing themselves away from him. "The Shack" is well-acted and obviously it has good intentions but I just didn't buy this story. The screenplay by John Fusco, Andrew Lanham and Destin Cretton is so filled with grief and regret and the movie's extremely dark flashback sequences fails to ring any emotional bells whatsoever. I will admit that "The Shack" does have a few emotional moments but nevertheless it's still a very, very, very odd film.

The faith-based community will eat it up but I think it will probably offend white Christians because they always envisioned God as a wise old man with a huge white beard. Again, it's heart is in the right place but "The Shack" has the feel of an overlong Hallmark Hall of Fame presentation.
½ July 14, 2017
All this New Age hand-waving is cute and everything, but until you do a better job of accounting for the problem of evil - it falls entirely too flat. And to do that, you either grow a pair and move entirely away from the (logically-fucked) Judeo-Christian model or you keep tap dancing around it like these guys; preaching to the choir while making an ass of yourself to the rest of us. Now if only The Shack got the Shaq to play god, Kazaam outfit and all - THEN I'd be onboard.
July 14, 2017
I like this movie although Rotten tomato's reviews are very bad.The movie is based on a book which is one of the bestseller in NY times.I didn't read the book.But the movie was well-done.
The reason I watched this movie was a Jaapanese actress,Sumire.She played "Sorayu". She looked like a nice counselor to Mack.She calmed him down. Sumire did a great job.She is 5-9.Her English is perfect.
This is a great movie.I liked it.
July 13, 2017
Phenomenal! And this movie came right when I needed it. Incredible!!!
July 13, 2017
A wonderful movie. The message is as powerful as it is positive. I'm not surprised "professional" reviews are generally negative. Any movie that portrays Christians as anything other than bigoted closed minded provincial simpletons with guns will certainly be excoriated by the largely non-Christian/militantly secular reviewers. DO NOT let those "professional" reviews dissuade you from watching this movie. It is one of those very few films that have a very positive and powerful affect on the viewer.
½ July 11, 2017
I know most critics who reviewed this didn't like it, but if you are looking for a feel good christian movie I would highly recommend this film.
July 9, 2017
One has to pay attention to follow the story, but it has great content that brought me to tears in several parts, and one in particular as the meaning sinks in. It is extremely moving, and the love portrayed is nearly beyond comprehension. If you pay attention, you will understand why God is in the image of a woman at one point, and then a man in another. You will find it to be time well spent.
July 9, 2017
The film is perhaps a little vague concerning the doctrine of salvation (soteriology) I'll grant the skeptics and legalist, but there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING propagated synonymous with blasphemy.
½ July 9, 2017
What I liked: Though Christian based in theory... it did not glorify any particular brand of Christianity (and not one agrees with another on interpretation of the Bible so that is good) and it made a point to say God does not care about what church you go to but rather your walk with Him. It DID use the Trinity in much of its story which not all Christian sects believe in, but again it keeps that door open for "whom-so-ever". God is with you .. regardless. Good job there. It was visually lovely to see as well.
What I didn't like: The role of the father of the family was the largest, and he whispered and mumbled his way through much of it to the point of having a hard time understanding what he was saying much of the time. The movie in theory was great, but the screenplay itself was lacking as was apparent edit issues.
Over-all enjoyable though and more open-armed than most Christian movies out there.
July 8, 2017
I cried like a baby, but that doesn't mean it was a good movie. Holes all over the place. It was clunky and poorly done mostly though I still cried.
½ July 8, 2017
Yes cheesy for sure but I still liked it's premise and it has some great "Aha" moments as Oprah would say.
July 8, 2017
The movie did a good job of illustrating the power of forgiveness and its role in our life, and the consequences of judging others.
July 7, 2017
The predictable so called "critics" give this a poor rating but the people have spoken...Solid film with great and biblically accurate explanations to some of our most profound questions.
½ July 7, 2017
Watched about 10 minutes.

Very boring. Appears to be religion themed.
July 6, 2017
Not biblically sound. Does not portray the truth that is in the bible. If you believe everyone is going to Heaven your mistaken as this movie portrays. If you doubt this then read the Bible.
July 5, 2017
Not (by far) the worst faith-based film out there. The production value is top-end (nice sets, green screen work, audio, camera work, etc). The screenplay/ directing seem poorly executed. It's confusing, cliche-ridden and... boring after the first 20 minutes. Good effort, but keep trying. Rating: 6.5/10
½ July 5, 2017
The Shack is a very touching movie with a beautiful message about forgiveness. The scenarios, the acting and the script are fantastic. Octavia Spencer's performance was one of the best things of this movie. Totally recomend it.
July 4, 2017
I really enjoyed this movie