The Shack - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shack Reviews

April 19, 2018
Amazing movie. One of the most heartfelt and moving movies I have ever seen. Really beautiful.
April 18, 2018
Great movie. Need to watch it more than once to get the full effect.
April 16, 2018
Wow, what an under rated movie. Is it perfect? Some will find it boring, and this is a very faith based movie. However, the cinematography and the story is absolutely beautiful, extremely emotional in the ending. Good performances all around.
½ April 5, 2018
Oh My god. This is so poor. The only reason this is getting a high rating is due to god loving Americans. There's not much I won't sit through but this was off as soon as he stumbled across Jebus. Save yourself time.
April 2, 2018
Beautiful portrayal of a journey through pain and forgiveness in a way that is uniquely spiritual. It answers a lot of the difficult questions that many people have as they go through life. It sparked a renewed sense of hope and healing.
March 31, 2018
I didn't expect much from the movie, but instead I wa sbrought to tears of truth and conviction. This film tells a tale that all of us face in our own way, of grieving, forgiving, and going forward in faith. Whatever Christians out there have a problem with how it is represented need to have a look at their own heart, and perhaps come to the realization the film pursues: God forgives.
March 30, 2018
What a great view on God. This movie made me rethink my faith. I thought it was a good representation of the message in the book without getting bogged down in the horrible parts of the story.
½ March 28, 2018
One of the most stupid movie I have ever seen
½ March 27, 2018
As both a Christian and eclectic artist I found the cinematography incredible, continuity seemingly brilliant and appreciative of the multicultural portrayal of the Trinity, likely challenging some mindsets exposing their prejudices. Well crafted script. So glad to see such a wonderful cast.
March 24, 2018
With amazing performances and a great story. The Shack is a great film, from top to bottom.
½ March 23, 2018
Even as a non christian i loved this movie. So many wonderful lessons to learn by watching this.
½ March 17, 2018
Well-intended but clumsy and long-winded.

Mack Phillips is happily married with three children. When a family tragedy shatters their carefree existence, Mack becomes bitter and depressed and the family starts to drift apart. Out of the blue he receives an invitation to return to where the tragedy took place, a deserted cabin known simply as The Shack. Thing is - the invitation is from God...

Well-intended but clumsy and long-winded. The aim was to portray the Christian message in a relatable way, especially how it pertains to tragedy and grief. However, it takes forever to get there, and does so in a folksy, licence-taking, sermonising sort of way.

Part of the problem is that the producers hedged their bets in terms of who their target audience was, trying to make it for Christian and non-Christian audiences alike and thus diluting the effect on both parties. Christians will probably find the movie overly simplistic and dumbed-down, and even inaccurate in some respects. Non-Christians, and movie-goers in general, will be put off by the overly long set-up before the important stuff, and then then how that is also drawn out. In addition, the message delivery is not too subtle, so the feeling that you're being lectured to may be off-putting to some too.

It's not all bad though. There are some good messages along the way and the end ties things together reasonably well. That would require watchers to make it to the end though...
March 17, 2018
Such an amazing movie duck anyone who says any different
March 14, 2018
A truly terrible film. It has no redeeming features.
½ March 7, 2018
I left this film moved, heartened and profoundly aware of the depth of love that exists. Maybe someone with a more nihilist bent will find any expression of ultimate comfort or purpose in suffering to be trite no matter what you say. But I found it to be deeply satisfying and thought-provoking.
March 6, 2018
Rotten tomatoes is nuts. There was no "heavy handed sermonizing" in this movie. It was based completely from the book of the same name. The book and the movie were both outstanding!
March 5, 2018
This movie gave me peace and more desire than ever to start a relationship with God.
March 4, 2018
I don't agree with the critics at all!
March 1, 2018
Powerful message that is heart wrenching and confronting
½ March 1, 2018
Jesus Christ (maybe literally)! Appalling! Americans get to meet god etc etc. Just don't bother...