The Shack - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shack Reviews

February 18, 2018
I have to admit I watched this because Tim McGraw was in it, and i guess I loved the poster. Strange reasons for watching a film, I guess it's a little like buying a bottle of wine. if you like the look of a label you're more likely to buy it. I digress.

I really enjoyed the movie and went through a range of emotions. Wonderful characters and great storytelling. It never felt forced. Oh and such an emotional ending!!
February 3, 2018
What an amazing and thought provoking movie. I don't normally write movie reviews but this movie is a must see. It's refreshing to see movies with godly content being produced today that are high quality and have professional actors. There's obviously a demand for this type of movie as it went on to gross almost $100 million (production budget was only $20 million ... I'd consider that a success)

It's really easy to criticize a movie and point out all the flaws and things that could have been done better... but what is really difficult is to make a movie that will be a success in this modern age and promote Biblical truths at the same time.

Yes the movie has unconventional methods for communicating truth. Many could be upset about the theologically incorrect portrayals of God the Father (a woman?) or other ideas in the film which run cross-grain to our traditional religious mindsets. But I don't believe it was the film makers intent to be heretical or un-biblical in even the least.

What they have done is painted a beautiful and intellectually stimulating portait which causes us to face our deepest fears, uncertainties, and desires for truth. Truth does exist. We can find it. We must pursue it.

This film will challenge you. It's not meant to be taken as literal gospel. It's meant to get you to think unconventionally and force us to face some of the inner struggles and questions with which we wrestle, some of us our entire lives.
Watch this film with an open mind. Embrace the journey upon which it's desiring to take you...
½ January 24, 2018
What can I say about this film. Well that from great sadness great joy and beauty can be revealed, this film much like the bible itself uses lots of poetry and imagery to help the narrative and where some who dislike this film may have a problem with the imagery used (the physical casting of God as the Trinity comes to mind) or with perhaps more doctrine concerns are missing the point of this film.

This film asks a lot of questions many of us have and its tale of Gods response and overwhelming beauty of Love of forgiveness is simply put sublime its something I think any Christian should watch far from a religious film and an almost perfect film about faith. Certain touches are just wonderful, when God speaks about other people the phrase "I'm especially fond of (characters name)" is a great touch. I have no problems saying that both me and better half had tears on our face upon watching this film, it is incredibly uplifting.
January 22, 2018
Easily the greatest movie I have seen thus far. It is so sad how split apart our world is from God and the Bible. This should openeveryone's eyes up to at least try to sympathize with our Father on how he must feel about this world and his children, but it seems that a lot of worldly disbelievers are rating this movie poorly and saying it's too "preachy." My question for you would be, why are you watching it if you are so against the message? It was in no way preachy. I thought it was awesome.
January 22, 2018
The worst movie ever!
January 20, 2018
For all the bad reviews this movie gets, I thought it was wonderful. Even as a non-religious person I was moved by this movie, and I cried several times watching it. I believe it is a fresh outlook on how the world views God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Where some may not agree, they can't deny the emotion this movie engenders.
½ January 20, 2018
Incredible beginning, very promising, however it got cheesy really quickly and I stopped enjoying it.
January 18, 2018
The battle between critics and audience on the standpoint of christian films rages on, yet once again I side with the audience. "The Shack" has so much right and so little wrong. The biggest, and almost only, thing that bugged me was the performance by the story's main character, Mack, who is played by Sam Worthington (Avatar). Aside from that, the film had great messages, great performances, and amazing shots/special effects. What stood out for me the most were all of the hidden messages in the film. Like the bible, "The Shack" has hidden symbols and meanings that you have to see in between the lines, just a little bit, in order to see them and enjoy them. "The Shack" is one of the few films that has had me balling my eyes out, and I mean balling. The movie and it's messages will stick with you and every time that you think of this film, you will remember every second of it and how you felt. I recommend this film whether you are a Christian or not because of how stellar and remember-able it is.
My Consensus:
"The Shack" offers plenty of powerful emotions and messages to stick to your head even after watching the film. With great performances and tragic events, bring your tissues and an open heart.
January 14, 2018
I have never reviewed a movie on any site but I had to with this one. I believe it is the most amazing movie ever to exists. I have literally made everyone I know watch it and All have found it beautiful. I can't inagine anyone not appreciating this movie. It is not a "religious" movie. It's more of faith and spirituality and how those things can become non exsistent when you suffer a major loss or tragedy. I can't say enough about the incredible film.
½ January 13, 2018
I know many didnt like this movie but I really enjoyed it. I thought the acting was great. Was the story a little weird at points? Yeah but the acting made up for it.
½ January 12, 2018
The Shack explores man's relationship with God. While the representation of God in physical form may be somewhat of a stretch I felt that this movie best highlights what Christians are looking for when seeking out Christ and brings it to screen in a thoughtful and respectful manner.
January 6, 2018
The book is moving, wise, insightful and comes the closest to capturing the true essence of Christianity out of anything I've read or seen. Unfortunately, it doesn't translate fantastically to film. It certainly has its moments, but it's difficult to ignore how heavy-handed and cheesy it is, as well as being written in a way that assumes its audience can't figure anything out for themselves. That being said, it's well cast, has some nice visuals, and from a content/message point of view, all the good stuff is still there. At the end of the day, I'm surprised and glad to see that this got the go-ahead and if it connects with the people who need it, helping them in some way, then it has done well, regardless of what it's like from a technical standpoint.
January 6, 2018
Great cast, good story and very emotional.
January 5, 2018
My husband and I loved it the only people that won't like it are the atheist, sexist and racist people and if it feels like a long Church sermon to you then you really don't want to listen.
January 4, 2018
The Shack was a great movie that shows just how much God loves each one of us.
December 31, 2017
The most life-changing film I have ever seen. Biblically solid theology meets an incredible stage through gifted actors and a moving story line. I was skeptical and avoided this film but was very pleasantly surprised.
December 30, 2017
Por la sipnosis que nos proporcionaron yo me imaginaba otra historia completamente diferente a lo que nos mostraron realmente en la película, eso es publicidad engañosa y un acto muy vil por parte de las productoras.
Pero fuera de eso la película en si es bastante mala tarta de ser muy filosofíca y reflexiva pero no lo logra y realmente es de esas películas que solo le gustan a los hipsters.
December 27, 2017
Giving it 2 stars for good intent. And for Octavia, who makes a good God. But honestly, this movie's highest and best use lies in its ability to lull you to sleep on the couch. This is a movie about a man who suffers a loss, focuses inward and eventually is invited by God to a weekend retreat hosted by Oprah and the racially diverse Holy Ghost who collectively invite him to reset his thinking and fix his family and himself. Just ghastly.
½ December 23, 2017
So good sad and happy
December 14, 2017
Just horrible don't even bother!