The Special Relationship - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Special Relationship Reviews

½ March 18, 2014
Good performances and somewhat insightful, but a little lacking in dramatic conflict.
½ January 23, 2014
Excellent movie and acting starring Michael Sheen as Tony Blair and Dennis Quaid as Bill Clinton focusing on the special relationship between Prime Minister and President cementing the strength between Britain and United States
½ July 7, 2013
Michael Sheen steals the show, and turns in another excellent performance. The movie itself was a little under whelming for me...decent, but nothing overly exciting.
June 28, 2013
Great Movie... Although watching this film may me realize why Bill Clinton didn't go off to stop the NATO from bombing when Tony Blair was trying to get him into stopping this situation.
½ December 31, 2012
As expected, I really liked 'The Special Relationship'. Tremendous performances from the always impressive Michael Sheen and ever reliable Dennis Quaid make this film such a "special" one. Not that there is a lot going on in the movie - it's not action packed by any means - but the acting and dialog make this an enjoyable watch. I'd recommend this, but you'll know going in whether this is a movie you'd like.
December 4, 2012
Great insight on the Blair - Clinton relationship, so well played and realistic, to watch!!!
½ November 17, 2012
I enjoyed this Emmy nominated made for TV movie about the special relationship that developed between Tony Blair and Bill Clinton. Dennis Quaid and Martin Sheen do a great job portraying these heads of state. It provides an glimpse into the world of these power brokers and how important good friendships are to good politics. If you are a political junkie like me check this one out.
November 15, 2012
ok movie but I thought it would be better than that, I don't want to see it again, Michael Sheen played a really good Tony Blair and Dennis Quaid played Bill Clinton, it was ok
October 17, 2012
Michael Sheen plays Tony Blair for fun and is solid once again, more surprising is Dennis Quaid's strong outing as Bill Clinton.
½ September 16, 2012
A fact based film where michael sheen an hope davis take the show, an leave the other two in shambles. It is in part dull and fails to reference in any way the actual thing that defines Blair(iraq) or indeed Dianna. Found it to be incredibly condescending and as we are used to seeing, america is the bee's knees, looking down to the 'grateful' who are lookily enough to be around their devine grace. THAT is not Bill Clinton. Worth a watch.
½ September 15, 2012
Dennis Quaid as Clinton, well..... otherwise not bad, interesting for sure.
September 11, 2012
As always in such movies, historical/documentary part is questionable but that's the only thing you may not like here. Everything else - from acting to storytelling, is truly amazing here.
August 30, 2012
good performance especially by martin sheen who seems to be your go to man to be tony blair!!! details and interesting dinamic before the man love relationship that was blair/bush!!!!
July 4, 2012
Intressant och bra tv-film från BBC och HBO om den hjärtliga vänskapen emellan Tony Blair och Bill Clinton. Filmen är skriven av Peter Morgan som även skrev passande nog Frost/Nixon och The Queen. Den väldigt mångsidiga Dennis Quaid kommer undan väl med att spela Clinton, han gör det faktiskt riktigt bra.
May 13, 2012
. This time we have more insight to Blair as presented through his relationship will US President Bill Clinton. Dennis Quaid is believable as Clinton, but Hope Davis shines as Hillary.
March 26, 2012
Ok, but not great. Interesting, to a degree, but doesn't really give us any great insights into Blair or Clinton or their relationship. Pretty much a conventional paint-by-numbers, blow-by-blow (er, no pun intended), account of the period when Blair and Clinton were leaders of their respective countries.

Solid performance by Michael Sheen as Tony Blair. Didn't find Dennis Quaid at all convincing as Bill Clinton though. He got most of the mannerisms right, but didn't have the gravitas of Clinton, plus doesn't look that much like him.

If you were aware of world politics of the 90s, nothing in this will be new. If you are interested in that period of political history, and need moving pictures rather than just reading Wikipedia, watch this.
March 21, 2012
I really liked this movie. I don't know how much of the "off camera" stuff is true because if it is mostly true the Clinton was a tremendous jerk.
February 18, 2012
Interesting and original stuff for one who likes political movies. Excellent writing and cinematography. However, the acting is flimsy and distracting on the part of Michael Sheen as Tony Blair and Dennis Quaid as Bill Clinton. Hope Davis does a better job as Hillary Clinton. I've seen political docu-dramas where top-notch acting and sensitive writing really nailed the characters, regardless of look-alike similarity. This is not one of those films, but to me it's still engaging and well worth it for its treatment of recent British-American relations and its comparison of chief executive politics.
January 17, 2012
The relationship between Blair and Clinton may have been special but the movie wasn't.
½ November 22, 2011
Very good, very engaging and very interesting but not as good as 'The Queen'. This film is much drier but it is certainly well done and entertaining.