The Spectacular Now - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Spectacular Now Reviews

August 3, 2017
One of the best coming of age movies. Good sountrack good cast.
July 18, 2017
One of the best coming of age movies in recent years. It's something that will make all of us want to try harder and love more.
July 15, 2017
The first half is excellent. A natural and believable teenage love story. It's paced well, it's consistently interesting and the performances are great. But then it overstays its welcome. The performances remain good, but the story stops being interesting and ends up relying way too heavily on some over-stretched side plots. And once my story investment exausted, the dialogue seemed more forced and the characters seemed much more like caricatures. The film's spell was simply broken. I don't know where they could've taken things to stay fresh, and I guess the screenwriters didn't either, so perhaps this would've worked better as a short film. And I'm not even sure what didn't work here, since there are hundreds of stellar romance-driven films that avoided these problems. I didn't hate the second half of the film. It was just as well-made as the first. I think the main problem was just a lack of real, engaging motivation.
July 10, 2017
Awsome fantastic reallly good
½ July 6, 2017
Difficult to describe. The poster, I think, captures the feeling very well - from the lighting (ever so slightly vintage, warm, filtered) to the off-center keel and the posing of a sweet candid moment, 'The Spectacular Now' is an interesting and perhaps underrated coming-of-age film. It has a lovely if underused soundtrack and solid acting from its stars.The commentary on the struggle between embracing feckless youth and inevitable adulthood is sketched out and developed through authentic dialogue (though the plot itself is written a little too hastily to be realistic and given the runtime the movie could've been a little more developed) and characterisation. Yet it fittingly ends unresolved, much like all adolescents feel that their journeys are incomplete and open.
June 22, 2017
A nice coming of age picture...Shailene Woodley proves again shes not a fluke.
½ June 20, 2017
A very raw representaion of teenage angst and first loves. This movie dealt with the emotional struggles the suppressed youth face without falling into a typical cliched coming-of-age story.
½ May 13, 2017
Day and life, date and go on.
April 29, 2017
Woodley and Teller's chemistry carries the film. Skips over what should be key sequences in their journeys and completely ignores the fact the protagonist is an 18 yr old alcoholic.
April 23, 2017
A nice, touching film.
½ April 1, 2017
THIS MOVIE SUCKED BOOTY! But in all seriousness, there was ZERO character development, a confusing timeline, and no plot line in sight! I feel like I just wasted 2 hours of my life on this movie!
½ March 26, 2017
The Spectacular Now crosses the intersection of circumstance and consequence with indecent elegance.
½ March 13, 2017
I really dislike this movie. I thought the editing was really bad and none of the characters work for me. I did not like the way Miles Teller played his character.
March 12, 2017
The story and characters Were very realistic. The film had moments where it was hard to watch someone fall so low and not have the power to get back up. The main characters makes life decisions which aren't to great but in the end he tries to make up for them.
½ March 12, 2017
The Spectacular Now is an adroit, sensitive film that avoids typical coming-of-age story trappings. There are scenes, moments, and dialogue in this film that ring so true that it all comes rushing back, a flood of memories and emotions and a little bit of pain. An unusually evasive piece of filmmaking - hard to pin down, but all the more worthwhile for its craftiness. The focus in James Ponsoldt's affecting, intelligent drama is a pair of teenagers, and in them is so much complexity and heart that this casually paced gem feels rich in scope. They're two of the most carefully created figures on screen, and yet their normalness takes us by surprise.Every time the film teeters on the precipice of a generic plot point it satisfyingly withdraws into more subtle and nuanced territory that ultimately coalesces in a final act that is sentimental without being sugary. This low-budget production is all about the performances, with Kyle Chandler turning up late in the piece as Sutter's father, Smashed's Mary Elizabeth Winstead as his slightly snobby sister and a cool supporting cast of appealing young 'uns. What you thought would be a generic high-school romance turns into an edgy character drama with dark, uncompromising undertones. James Ponsoldt's film, and its stars, Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley, continually take us in unexpected directions, giving the film an unexpected depth. It feels real, its emotions earned.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent. (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)
½ February 21, 2017
this movie sucked a dick up.
February 20, 2017
This beautiful story gives you chills, makes you laugh, gives you hope and breaks your heart. Usually I don't cry to movies. This one is different. I love it.
January 20, 2017
Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley are spectacular in this love story.
½ January 18, 2017
It seems that no matter how magnificent love in films are, they never truly tell the truth. However, this film must have because I felt as annoyed at the star-crossed lovers as I do with the people at my high school. Still, average film, some completely unreliable scenes, but that occurs in most films, it's what makes them so entertaining. I found the storyline repetitive and needed a little bit extra to really sell it to me.
½ January 9, 2017
A coming of age film focusing on a young man struggling with self identity and alcohol, The Spectacular Now does a good job focusing in on situations that a number of viewers could relate to in some way. Miles Teller portrays high school senior Sutter Keely, a young man in the midst of a new relationship with Aimee Finecky (Shailene Woodley) as he tries to reconnect with his father, graduate from school and do well at his job. Between the personable acting of Teller and the sweet, life like style and dialouge of Woodley's character, The Spectacular Now might not have one thing that separates itself as one of the best teen drama films, but it doesn't fall short by any means and keeps from depicting predictable cliche moments viewers have come to expect.