The Spectacular Now - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Spectacular Now Reviews

April 23, 2017
A nice, touching film.
½ April 1, 2017
THIS MOVIE SUCKED BOOTY! But in all seriousness, there was ZERO character development, a confusing timeline, and no plot line in sight! I feel like I just wasted 2 hours of my life on this movie!
½ March 26, 2017
The Spectacular Now crosses the intersection of circumstance and consequence with indecent elegance.
½ March 13, 2017
I really dislike this movie. I thought the editing was really bad and none of the characters work for me. I did not like the way Miles Teller played his character.
March 12, 2017
The story and characters Were very realistic. The film had moments where it was hard to watch someone fall so low and not have the power to get back up. The main characters makes life decisions which aren't to great but in the end he tries to make up for them.
½ March 12, 2017
The Spectacular Now is an adroit, sensitive film that avoids typical coming-of-age story trappings. There are scenes, moments, and dialogue in this film that ring so true that it all comes rushing back, a flood of memories and emotions and a little bit of pain. An unusually evasive piece of filmmaking - hard to pin down, but all the more worthwhile for its craftiness. The focus in James Ponsoldt's affecting, intelligent drama is a pair of teenagers, and in them is so much complexity and heart that this casually paced gem feels rich in scope. They're two of the most carefully created figures on screen, and yet their normalness takes us by surprise.Every time the film teeters on the precipice of a generic plot point it satisfyingly withdraws into more subtle and nuanced territory that ultimately coalesces in a final act that is sentimental without being sugary. This low-budget production is all about the performances, with Kyle Chandler turning up late in the piece as Sutter's father, Smashed's Mary Elizabeth Winstead as his slightly snobby sister and a cool supporting cast of appealing young 'uns. What you thought would be a generic high-school romance turns into an edgy character drama with dark, uncompromising undertones. James Ponsoldt's film, and its stars, Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley, continually take us in unexpected directions, giving the film an unexpected depth. It feels real, its emotions earned.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent. (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)
½ February 21, 2017
this movie sucked a dick up.
February 20, 2017
This beautiful story gives you chills, makes you laugh, gives you hope and breaks your heart. Usually I don't cry to movies. This one is different. I love it.
January 20, 2017
Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley are spectacular in this love story.
½ January 18, 2017
It seems that no matter how magnificent love in films are, they never truly tell the truth. However, this film must have because I felt as annoyed at the star-crossed lovers as I do with the people at my high school. Still, average film, some completely unreliable scenes, but that occurs in most films, it's what makes them so entertaining. I found the storyline repetitive and needed a little bit extra to really sell it to me.
½ January 9, 2017
A coming of age film focusing on a young man struggling with self identity and alcohol, The Spectacular Now does a good job focusing in on situations that a number of viewers could relate to in some way. Miles Teller portrays high school senior Sutter Keely, a young man in the midst of a new relationship with Aimee Finecky (Shailene Woodley) as he tries to reconnect with his father, graduate from school and do well at his job. Between the personable acting of Teller and the sweet, life like style and dialouge of Woodley's character, The Spectacular Now might not have one thing that separates itself as one of the best teen drama films, but it doesn't fall short by any means and keeps from depicting predictable cliche moments viewers have come to expect.
December 19, 2016
A stupid boy one has no empathy for (because he's an idiot) and little to no chemistry between the actors. Stunned at the positive reviews for this.
December 16, 2016
Spectacular Now is a very good movie with a great story and great performances.
December 2, 2016
MC pissed me off for like 70% of the movie
November 30, 2016
A bitter teen movie struggling at times
½ November 23, 2016
A wonderful film that deals with issues teen movies usually ignore: drinking, the fear of adulthood, moving away from home. One of the most realistic teen movies that I've seen.
November 21, 2016
Not much different than most intelligent romantic comedies, but solid overall and great performances.
½ November 15, 2016
The critics' reviews are way too high. But it was good; an honest portrayal of teenage life rather than the typical superficial high school movies.
November 10, 2016
I'm a Woodley fan , simple stories written and told well is what gives meaning. This story is very simple but well orchestrated and if you didn't see it when it came out, now is the time.
½ November 5, 2016
Primarily a depressing, coming-of-age film about alcoholism, codependency, and responsibility. Two damaged souls launch their individual healing with each other just before high school graduation. Ultimately, it seems they should move on as only friends...but will they?