The Spectacular Now - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Spectacular Now Reviews

June 8, 2018
is spectacular on terms of its unpredictability..

The Spectacular Now

The premise is somewhat familiar and seems like your typical teenage movie stuff, but as it ages on screen, it grows into this mature character driven feature that contradicts its tone. The first half of it is slow, mushy-gushy and spends its time on setting the plot and the characters' track. There are few inedible clauses in here but if neglecting and moving past it, it offers much more than a romantic genre usually does. It is shot beautifully when it focuses on its love track and is perfectly balanced on the dark and light aspects of it; especially in its last act. James Ponsoldt has done a decent work on executing this uneven and unsettled feature but it definitely could have edited better and improved on some other technical aspects too. The performance is where the wheel gets stuck as its lead characters (Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley) are not in their A game whilst the supporting cast (Jennifer Jason Leigh, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Brie Larson) is far better. The Spectacular Now is spectacular on terms of its unpredictability as it laughs over the expectation of the audience which it outgrows by a major margin.
May 29, 2018
Beautiful, charming, real. Dimensional, raw characters and vibe.
½ May 21, 2018
I've seen the trailer on youtube and though it looked good so decied to watch it. Its a tornado of emotions in a good way as im a sad person but this brough a smile to me, the character of the main girl "Amy" makes you fall in love withher like i mean im in love with the character the way that she always cares for the boy no matter what he does, that is love and the boy himself was great the normal teenage life full of "fuck ups" was represented perfectly.
One thing i do wanna say is that i would love to really know what happened to the couple after they met as amys facial expression did not seem too happy.
March 13, 2018
well made movie. what makes it special is that it somewhat sticks to life and reality.
½ January 30, 2018
Oh God, how anyone could sit through this entire movie let alone like it is beyond me. The amount of cringe in just the first half hour nearly made me vomit. Honestly, I'm getting upset even remembering that I tried to put myself through this nonsense.
½ January 27, 2018
A raw, emotional and heavy film that's marvelous as both a story about young love, and as a more subtle meditation on alcoholism. Scott Neustadler and Michael H. Weber have written a script that really understands how contemporary teenagers act, and they've found the perfect director for the film with James Ponsoldt. Last year's Smashed showed that he was a director that could successfully balance comedy and drama, but by working with a superb script that's not his own, it's more evident than ever that he is a director of girth and nuance. His visual and music cues often come off as dreamy, which is a far-cry from most American teen movies, and he also shows that he has a talent for working with young actors. Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley not only have astounding chemistry, but they're able to cover the complex character growth that this movie puts them through. It's that rare sort of "young adult" film that really makes you understand and feel for its characters, and I can assure you there will be at least one scene in this film that you will make you gasp out loud. Whatever your favorite coming-of-age/teen-romance was of the last few years (be it Perks of Being a Wallflower, Juno, etc.), The Spectacular Now is very likely to replace it.
½ December 23, 2017
nice heartwarming story and good cast
½ December 17, 2017
Fantastically directed, a keen sense of teen humour, romance, and lifestyle is displayed within 'The Spectacular Now'
November 11, 2017
The spectacular now is about a senior who goes through his last high school year as a popular, crazy, young, kid, but soon it all catches up to Sutter. Wanting a rebound he falls in love with Amiee and they experience a life full of long broker promises together with a ending that is truly spectacular. I enjoyed this movie and will soon be reading the book it is based on. Shailene Woodly and Miles Teller performed really well and you will love this spectacular movie.
½ October 23, 2017
The tale of a shy teenager falling for the misunderstood character of the opposite sex isn't new. However, The Spectacular Now found a way to propose it in an engaging manner. The biggest reason for that were the leads. Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley had great chemistry, captivating viewers with their enthralling chemistry.

When you read what the film is about, you expect something different. For example, the synopsis for the movie led me to believe that Sutter (Teller) had a drinking problem. While that was accurate, I kept waiting for it to lead to some sort of rift in the relationship with Aimee (Woodley). While it did partially lead to the film's emotional climax, it felt more like it had to do with Sutter as a person, than as an alcoholic. Maybe it's just me, but I think the fact that the teenage protagonist is an alcoholic should've been a bigger plot point.

There were also some plot points that didn't quite make sense to me. Aimee and Sutter were allowed to spend a crazy amount of time in her room together, which didn't seem realistic. Even if Aimee's mother wasn't attentive, at some point you'd assume she'd question the boy in her daughter's room. I also didn't see the point in Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character. She added nothing to the story but a way for Sutter to get around his mother preventing him from seeing his father. It's a shame, because Winstead is very good.

I'm done harping on what didn't work. This is a very good movie. As noted, the chemistry is what sets it apart from other coming-of-age films. They also avoided a lot of the cliché stuff in similar films, which was appreciated. Kyle Chandler is also fantastic as Sutter's father, bringing his inane charm to the role, while still being the right amount of dislikable. Overall, it was a strong film that helped show the world just how good Woodley and Teller are. [*** 1/2]
September 5, 2017
The "Average Not-So-Spectacular Now." This film - yes, actual film - needed better screenwriters and a way better director. Where's Amy Heckerling for that duty? This is dull, depressing, & a sad commentary if, as the producers say, it reflects today's high-school'ishness. That's doubtful although divorce & single-parenthood is more common than the traditional alternative. Really, a slacker's film in tax favored Georgia ... again.

Woodley gives it a good go, Teller, too, more-or-less, a Romanesque visage with hints of Elvis. But this film seems to lack for a script in many places. It's like the aforementioned director said, "Here's the scene now ad-lib it. Action!" And a whiskey flask as a prom favor (gift)? Weird, even if the Lead seems to be heading toward early alcoholism. (Probably this came from the book from which the film was adapted.) Good to see J. J. Leigh and that she's still working, speaking of Heckerling ("Fast Times").

Not sure how this is getting firm tomatoes. It's not good in any respectable respect - except that the good girl, sorta, seems to get the Lead guy, tho' in today's cliched film trendy way, you're left guessing. | - Norm de Guerre
August 3, 2017
One of the best coming of age movies. Good sountrack good cast.
July 18, 2017
One of the best coming of age movies in recent years. It's something that will make all of us want to try harder and love more.
July 15, 2017
The first half is excellent. A natural and believable teenage love story. It's paced well, it's consistently interesting and the performances are great. But then it overstays its welcome. The performances remain good, but the story stops being interesting and ends up relying way too heavily on some over-stretched side plots. And once my story investment exausted, the dialogue seemed more forced and the characters seemed much more like caricatures. The film's spell was simply broken. I don't know where they could've taken things to stay fresh, and I guess the screenwriters didn't either, so perhaps this would've worked better as a short film. And I'm not even sure what didn't work here, since there are hundreds of stellar romance-driven films that avoided these problems. I didn't hate the second half of the film. It was just as well-made as the first. I think the main problem was just a lack of real, engaging motivation.
July 10, 2017
Awsome fantastic reallly good
½ July 6, 2017
Difficult to describe. The poster, I think, captures the feeling very well - from the lighting (ever so slightly vintage, warm, filtered) to the off-center keel and the posing of a sweet candid moment, 'The Spectacular Now' is an interesting and perhaps underrated coming-of-age film. It has a lovely if underused soundtrack and solid acting from its stars.The commentary on the struggle between embracing feckless youth and inevitable adulthood is sketched out and developed through authentic dialogue (though the plot itself is written a little too hastily to be realistic and given the runtime the movie could've been a little more developed) and characterisation. Yet it fittingly ends unresolved, much like all adolescents feel that their journeys are incomplete and open.
June 22, 2017
A nice coming of age picture...Shailene Woodley proves again shes not a fluke.
½ June 20, 2017
A very raw representaion of teenage angst and first loves. This movie dealt with the emotional struggles the suppressed youth face without falling into a typical cliched coming-of-age story.
½ May 13, 2017
Day and life, date and go on.
April 29, 2017
Woodley and Teller's chemistry carries the film. Skips over what should be key sequences in their journeys and completely ignores the fact the protagonist is an 18 yr old alcoholic.