The Sugarland Express Reviews

• Oct 13, 2020

There are so many ingenious compositions in this now 46 year old film that rival and yes still better the film's of today. It holds up to modern audience entertainment standards, standards set by Spielberg himself. The last third of it is a bit rough and the characters are thinner than they should be for the film to have a deserving emotional impact. But you can see the genius pioneering camera blocking (like a 360 degree inside the car one shot made before pre-steadicam) or how so many frames are packed with such great information on multiple planes. The action is great. There are reasons its no classic. But it more than passes the time.

• Oct 04, 2020

In his first official feature-length entry, Spielberg demonstrates great casting and directing. If this screenplay would've fallen into the hands of nearly any other young up-and-coming filmmaker, the end product would be a sluggish/perfunctory low budget flick from the 1970's.

• Jul 04, 2020

Being Spielberg's first film, I was expecting the Spielberg magic I was used to in movies like Close Encounters and ET, but, that isn't what I got. As a movie, it's fine. It has all of the basic principals to be a good film, the overall plot is based on a wonderful true story, and the relationships are fun. However, even a few hours later, I have forgotten almost the entire movie. And I think that's due to the shots in the film. No shot seems particularly exciting, there are a few shots where I went to myself, yeah, "that's Spielberg." Those shots looked great, were devoted to character, and had everything good about this movie coming together. These are the few moments I remember, but truly, I don't feel Spielberg had the spark inside of him that he usually possesses. It should also be noted that this movie is incredibly 70s, you can feel the hippie vibe. So in conclusion, the movie is fine, but it just doesn't seem to work in quite a few places.

• Jan 19, 2020

The Sugarland Express is a surprisingly mediocre, early Spielberg outing. Yes, it has some interesting scenes and Goldie Hawn herself stole the show, playing quite a fun, memorable character, but others are forgettable, the action is overwhelming and the entire film has a weak script and an overly hectic pace. Thus, it was a very tedious viewing experience to me.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Sep 23, 2019

Goldie Hawn turns in a decently unmannered performance as a ex-con trying ridiculously to get her state-custodied child back...by kidnapping a cop. Based on a true story, Steven Spielberg paints a pretty accurate picture of Middle America and does it without a preponderant use of his usual heavyhanded shorthand.

• Jun 14, 2019

The film progresses with a certain premise that starts off as a bizarre crime-comedy and it maintains itself on that frame for the majority of its runtime, but at times it stops playing with the goofs and pretends to be self-aware of what else it may accomplish in different territories, but even when Spielberg's direction is not always on point, Goldie Hawn maintains an enjoyable-naive presence throughout the whole film, adding plenty of its comedic element.

• Jun 14, 2019

• Mar 24, 2019

sugary is certainly the term for this sort of film. this is the beginnings of the PG-13 Blockbuster Era that steven was the king of. these films are certainly good films but not my style, they are family films. i liked alien, jaws and duel, but then there came close encounters, ET, ghostbusters, star wars, indiana jones, home alone, jurassic park, forrest gump, castaway, waterworld, back to the future, titanic, meet the parents, artifical intelligence and so on leading up to today's films that are just like, every film is practically identical, made on a hollywood assembly line, following the hollywood formula to the letter, youve seen one youve seen them all, why bother

• Sep 22, 2018

High on tension and complexity, this true crime story makes a solid 2nd road movie from Spielberg after "Duel" as well as an engaging portrait of American craziness.

• Jun 09, 2018

Monotonous and boring. Meant to be funny but weak humour.

Monotonous and boring. Meant to be funny but weak humour.