The Tree - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Tree Reviews

January 22, 2016
Not a well made film, but the ideas are intriguing and Morgana Davies is marvellous as 8 year old Simone.
½ July 29, 2014
A raw and pointed story of what happens when life is turned upside down. Stunning and beautiful.
½ April 18, 2014
A mystical story about a family dealing with grief.
Worth watching for the performance by Morgana Davies as Simone.
(I love the the title of the book, "Our Father Who Art in the Tree".)
November 5, 2013
In Australia, little gems are often completely overlooked by audiences and even critics don't really bring them to much attention. This was the case with "Love Serenade" and "The Black Balloon" and many others before and since. Albeit a coproduction with France "The Tree" is another one in that line and upon release it received little exposure and limited distribution. It was even hard to trace after coming out on DVD with not many rental shops stocking it. This film really works, the characters are spot on, the story is solid and the emotions that drive the plot are heartfelt and real. The camerawork is very good and the acting is a joy, with Morgana Davies obviously the standout. At the end I wanted to follow this family on the road to see where they'd all end up and what would happen next, obviously the film got me hooked.
September 22, 2013
Great cinematography that lead to really good imaging that showed the emotions of the characters. Recommend!!!
August 14, 2013
A film about death that never really comes to life.
½ June 5, 2013
Mostly a non event, containing the antics of a brat child and the whimsy of a widow
June 4, 2013
The Tree (2010): A whimsical Australian-French co-production, using the innocent charm of the child performers and their respective quirky characters (especially Morgana Davies as eight-year-old Simone) as a narrative strength. The adults also fare well with a distant, complex turn by Charlotte Gainsbourg and a fine Marton Csokas, keeping viewers engaged as the titular character dominates their emotional and physical lives, offering comfort and solace, as well as expressing anger and pain. Beautifully photographed and gently scored, this is a touching drama.
½ January 21, 2013
The book (Our Father Who Lives in a Tree) was better, but this little low budget Aussie film does it justice. I volunteered as a grief counselor at a Grief Center when I first became acquainted with the touching book this film was based on.
½ October 9, 2012
Beautiful well-written film, gorgeous settings, but still missing something. Gainsbourg was great as the mother, but Morgana Davies as the little girl was the star of the movie.
September 30, 2012
a very nice australian production. it tells a story of a family and the up and downs in life. not the best movie ever but still has the sense of life and family. a nice drama to watch
September 22, 2012
ich guck keine filme mehr mit charlotte gainsbourg....nur wenn es wirklich gegenargumente gibt...für esotherikfans und freunde von frau gainsbourg sicherlich ok aber der rest kanns auch lassen
September 1, 2012
Nothing in this movie feels heartfelt and genuine. Instead, everything feels wooden and artificial.
½ August 7, 2012
Vi beleza no processo de luto de uma família. Recomendo.
August 7, 2012
A great performance of Morgana Davies as Simone. With his father's death the tree becomes an extension of everyone's life.
½ August 1, 2012
The tree as symbol of everything that is wrong and right about a family. It creeps. It searches for sustenance. It often steals one's heart (metaphorically) and it destroys things in its path in order to maintain its own strength. Not terribly subtle, the film still makes us think about the importance of things that we arbitrarily assign value to. In this film's instance, the assigned value is pretty high. The variety of coping mechanisms is what makes this film so real.
June 24, 2012
I might give the book a try because I think it will probably delve a bit further into the characters than what we're able to see on the screen. The story seems to meander it's way along until the storm hits and even then I didn't feel any real closure from it. Despite that, the actors are great, especially Morgana Davies as Simone.
½ June 5, 2012
This sweet melancholic film is moving with good performances especially from young cast. It uses the Australian landscape as a beautiful yet subtle background without being clichà (C).
May 12, 2012
A most remarkable movie. The rendering of "To Build a Home" in the closing credits (Cinematic Orchestra) is utterly beautiful.
April 13, 2012
A children's insight is pure and pristine.