The Ward - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ward Reviews

½ October 16, 2016
Not as bad as you've been led to believe
½ August 31, 2016
Utterly unimpressive psychological thriller that tries really hard to be interesting but just ends up feeling tremendously disappointing. The horror is slow-paced and cliched and the ending is not the shocker it wants to be.
August 8, 2016
While it's not the most original film in the world (I spotted the twist about 1/3 of the way through), it's nice to see him making movies again.
½ July 22, 2016
Dire...appalling script and acting.
June 23, 2016
By the numbers psych-ward schlock.
June 7, 2016
I watched this on Netflix. It was certainly much better than most of the dreck that's passed off as horror these days.
½ February 21, 2016
Just perceptible that John Carpenter directed it due to its atmosphere and score. Other than that nothing original. A ballsy lead character.
February 18, 2016
It was all fine and making sense until the stupid jump scare at the end ruined everything! I hate endings that are so awful they ruin the whole viewing experience.
January 31, 2016
A horror movie in spite of just being pointless horror, to the copycat extinct psych ward version of '03 "identiy".
January 24, 2016
While 'The Ward' does have its fair share of drawbacks, it still proves that John Carpenter knows how to properly construct a horror film. It's a spooky little trip that might have just been a tad out of place, because the only true flaws are in the areas in which Carpenter strays from his usual rhythms in favor of a more contemporary style. Either way, it's still a decent enough little fright flick.
½ January 24, 2016
Don't bother. Very dull. A few lame jump scares..
½ January 11, 2016
The Ward is not Carpenter's best, but I also don't think it deserves as much flack as it gets. Is it a masterpiece? No, but it is still a fun (at least to me) throwback to an older style of horror film. 3 1/2 stars
December 29, 2015
The story at first was intriguing, plus anything to do with a mental hospital us usually creepy and eerie so I figured, I'll give this a shot

What is unfortunate though is that Heard isn't very good, she reminds me of Kristen Stewart, with no emotion, just stone faced, trying to fake fear and frustration with no success. Not that the movie was supposed to be believable but her performance made it seem not so scary after all, especially since it was supposed to be more of a psychological thriller. The supporting actresses were great though, like really good

The ending was borderline predictable but decent. It wasn't ridiculous like many others.

Still not the best I've seen but certainly not the worst, just needed a better lead
½ December 13, 2015
Cliched and filled with painfully dated scare tactics that filmmakers should've stopped using over two decades ago.
½ November 28, 2015
John Carpenter knows creepy. This isn't frightening, and the effects are not very good, but it does accomplish the creep factor. I did not glean to the fact revealed at the end (don't want to spoil it for anyone), but I found it more creative than cop-out. Well acted by the beautiful Amber Heard. Plus any movie with Danielle Panabaker in it is given a bump by me :)
½ November 24, 2015
Pretty interesting film .. Not really the scary horror type movie I was expecting. The ghost/demon/whatever looked really cheap and lame.. However the movie is still a good watch.
I have to admit, I wasn't paying attention at the end, and missed the explaining of the twist and had to rewind to watch the part again to understand it. It's a good film, with good acting.
November 14, 2015
Why are all these psych-ward patients hot, young, well-dressed girls? Like a horror mystery made for dumb people, Carpenter's last film is trying so hard to be scary and failing at every turn. Poorly directed and completely boring.
October 29, 2015
Not horror, Not thriller, Not logical
October 28, 2015
The Ward sets an unwanted benchmark for all, once great directors, to aspire to, in order to fizzle into obscurity. Just when you thought John Carpenter couldn't be more out of touch, Ghosts of Mars proved that in droves, with today's standard of film making, its actually pretty upsetting to watch him attempt such mediocrity, knowing full well the talent he once possessed. The Ward revolves around Kristen, a confused young adult forced into a mental institute, where all is not what it seems. And without spoiling the entire film, not that you'd mind, that really is about all that is going on in this bland and heartless film. Where to begin, firstly the script, sadly not penned here by anyone decent, is woefully dreadful, every character has no character or sense of progression, the general concept of the film is in no way original or engrossing and it suffers from an overwhelming sense of repetition. While watching The Ward, you will witness a young woman constantly attempt to escape a mental hospital, only to be flung back in her room, countless times, with the same lack luster security, I've seen super markets with tighter security than this place. The script just has nothing to say, there is no character, no message, no one to root for, it has next to nothing going for it, which is completely evident when Carpenter is filling in the blanks with solid bouts of visuals between dialogue, when the film actually becomes watchable. The film is horribly miscast in everyone bar Amber Heard, who is the star of the show, she is clearly a brilliant talent, considering how much she manages to get from nothing for her role here, but everyone else is just wrong. The Ward's supporting cast is full of gorgeous looking women, with your archetypal conditions tacked on, it almost feels as if they turned up on set and picked their mental insecurities out a hat, leaving Heard ruling the roost and becoming all you really care about. It's not like Carpenter has presented something ugly here either, as a good chunk of the visuals are solid, the location looks unsettling enough, some of the gore is well executed and he gets a chance to include some gorgeous tracking shots, the problem is that everything feels so empty, there never feels like a threat is round the corner, no sense of desperation or paranoia, hell you will be confused for the most part and not because its intelligent, but because its clear no one had any idea what they wanted to do until the end. There is one scene, luckily one of the films longest, in which Heard and another inmate attempt to escape, which is utterly terrific, reminding us why Carpenter was a force to be reckoned with, in a brief 5 minutes he achieves something excellent, with genuine thrill and suspense, only to completely shut down, as if going beyond the confines of the script is an automatic fail. The Ward is utterly forgettable, it has next to no scares, a beyond salvageable script and its painfully clear that Carpenter is just going through the motions. It has some solid visual work and an occasional daring moment, but nothing you will get remotely hot and bothered about.