The Wolverine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wolverine Reviews

September 18, 2017
This movie was very entertaining and had great action scenes and pg13 one f bomb was well used but some of it was kind of forced
September 14, 2017
This movie is so underrated. The whole idea of the wolverine being compared to a samurai is a very strong metaphor and hugh jackman does an awesome job of portraying the broken character. The story and action felt more adult to me than most other super hero movies which was nice to see in the super hero genre. I love super hero movies, but sometimes it is nice to have a change from the jokes and bright colors, to the gritty and realism this film portrays. 5 stars for sure!
August 28, 2017
A fun and awsome movie
½ August 22, 2017
Eh, better then origins.
½ August 21, 2017
The last act of this movie drags this movie into cartoonish cliches, but the other two acts are really, really good. Hugh jackman really steals the show.(again)
½ August 21, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Time to review another movie, Greg. This time it s The Wolverine, starring Hugh Jackman, who is more ripped than my spoon-sized shredded wheat.

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) In the trailers, Yashida offers to make Logan mor-tal but I think he s tall enough.

SCOTT: Groan! Let s recap. The Wolverine begins with a flashback to Nagasaki during World War II, when the city is about to be hit by the A-bomb. At that time Logan saves Yashida (Hal Yamanouchi) from being burned by the radiation. But now Yashida is dying of old age and sends his granddaughter s friend, Yukio (Rila Fukushima), to bring Logan back to Japan, presumably to say thanks and farewell. On his deathbed, Yashida tells Logan that he wants Logan s superpower of immortality, but Logan refuses to hand it over. Just before Yashida dies, his doctor, Viper (Svetlana Khodchenkova), injects Logan with a parasite that disables his instant-healing powers.

GREG: Yashida, a rich technologist, has left his vast fortune to his granddaughter, Mariko (Tao Okamoto) which makes her the target of assassins. Logan comes to her aid and not only saves her from the villains, but befriends her as well. Logan is now on a mission to protect Mariko until the will-reading which bestows all power of the Yashida company upon her.

SCOTT: Greg, I found The Wolverine to be a fairly good film that is only notch below its predecessor, 2009 s X-Men Origins: Wolverine, in quality. Once again, Hugh Jackman strikes all the right notes in his performance as Wolverine. No one looks more intimidating with and without those talons that spring from his knuckles. And let s face it -- those massive creases in his furrowed brow are deeper than the grand canyon. Jackman s intensity is palpable. For me, the movie succeeds in showcasing several of the strongest female characters we ve seen in a movie this year. The characters of Yukio, Mariko, and Viper are all outstanding. Viper, in particular, is a powerful character and a terrifically effective villain. The Wolverine also features one of the best action scenes I ve witnessed this year -- a fight on top of a high-speed train traveling at 300 miles per hour. It literally had me on the edge of my seat.

GREG: I thought the film started out really well. We were in Nagasaki, Japan during World War II where Logan is found in a hot box as a Japanese prisoner of war. When the air raid sirens go off, Yashida lets all the prisoners out of their barracks so they d have a fighting chance. His peers commit suicide before the bomb falls. Yashida then attempts to let Logan out of his lead-lined pit, but Logan convinces the man to take shelter with him. The nuclear bomb explodes and it is Logan who shields Yashida from the blast. Logan s powers of regeneration allow him to take the full force of the blast and survive. Yashida is forever in his debt. This opening is exciting and sets up the rest of the story. It exemplifies Logan s powers and establishes the two men s connection. We get another scene of action when Logan saves Mariko from the assassins. The train battle you mentioned is thrilling and even has moments of humor. Watching Logan battle it out on top of a speeding bullet train was exciting. But that was about the end of the thrills for the next hour. And that s where The Wolverine lost me.

SCOTT: The Wolverine pretty much kept my attention, Greg. When he loses his powers, it s akin to Superman being exposed to Kryptonite. As the audience, we know that the hero must regain his lost powers to defeat the villain. Not knowing how Logan was going to do this was enough to maintain my interest. Then, when Wolverine recoups his superpowers, he encounters a force that threatens them again, and in a surprising way, too. Having said all this, the film is not without its problems. For one thing, some of the fight scenes, to me, were poorly filmed. The camera was shaking so much it left me wondering what the camera operators were smoking that day. Also, the ending of the movie was somewhat anti-climactic and fell a bit flat for me. And in terms of the hero journey, Logan lacked encounters with a mentor and a father figure, which are two important elements of the path that heroes take.

GREG: Scott, the time between the train action and the final scenes where Logan fights a giant Adamantium robot was easily an hour long. Virtually nothing happens in that 60 minutes. There are flashbacks, and love scenes, and walking along the shore. But nothing of interest. All the time Logan spends as a weakling he is in hiding. There is no drama at all. I really felt like the director was padding out half the movie. The plot made no sense at all. If Mariko didn t want the company - all she had to do was turn it over to her father. There was an army of ninjas who appear from nowhere. There s an old flame who is an expert with a bow (there was a lot of archery in this film). The villain Venom seemed to have variable potency with her poison. And the climax of the film (aside from the thrilling battle) made no logical sense at all. I really felt like the movie died after the first act and never recovered.

SCOTT: Sorry you didn t like The Wolverine more, Greg. Overall, I found it to be a worthy addition to the X-Men canon. Logan is an effective hero character because he longs for peace of mind and for a chance to lead a normal life. Yet he knows that he is a soldier who is called to right the world s wrongs. The tension between these two incompatible goals makes for an effective hero story. The Wolverine isn t a great film but it left me satisfied and entertained. I give the movie 3 Reels out of 5, and 3 Heroes out of 5, too. Movie: Heroes:

GREG: I felt The Wolverine didn t measure up to 2009 s X Men Origins: Wolverine. Hugh Jackman gave it his best and is convincing in the role. But the writing was terrible. There wasn t much of a hero s journey here. Logan starts out in one place and ends up in the same place. He hasn t grown or changed a bit. I felt like I didn t get my money s worth as this was only half a movie. I give The Wolverine 2 Reels and 2 Heroes. And I ll never look at a fork the same way again. Movie: Heroes:
August 15, 2017
The Wolverine is easily my favourite solo Wolverine film. Don't get me wrong, Logan is great but this is far more enjoyable and less soul draining. We follow Logan to Japan where he is invited to say farewell to an old friend he once saved, however he is now embroiled in a family where power, money and immortality are at stake. James Mangold had a really easy job, just make it better than the abysmal X-Men Origins: Wolverine. He did that and then some. The balance between Logan's haunted past and the Yashida family affairs was perfect. The dream scenes with Jean Grey highlight how tainted Logan really is, how he struggles to let go of his past. It's a story about love, forgiveness...and badass swordplay sequences. Those of you who know me, know that my weakness in films are those that are set in Japan. I don't know why, it just is. James Mangold made Japan look beautiful, it was colourful and modern. Hugh Jackman, once again, is Wolverine. His physical prowess is ridiculous, clearly you don't want to have an arm wrestle with him...his veiny veins of vein-ness might just pop (seriously though have you seen them!?). Hiroyuki Sanada gets to wave a sword around, that's bonus points right there. The action sequences were thrilling and well filmed, I'm thankful that we as an audience are able to see everything and not be plagued with shaky cam or frequent jump cuts. The bullet train scene was damn fun to watch. The combination of modern and traditional Japan was well balanced and did not feel forced. The Viper was memorable enough to be classed as a good villain, maybe not the best choice of actress but it certainly wasn't a bad performance. Everything just felt fresh, it's what the franchise really needed. The third act does stumble into typical superhero blockbuster territory but that is to be expected, it couldn't stay mature forever I guess. Some of the slower scenes did drag slightly as well, but if anything it adds to Logan's character development. The Wolverine was fresh, bold and exciting to watch. It should be appreciated a little bit more.
½ August 8, 2017
As a big Wolverine fan I give it 4 stars. I tend to try to forget Xmen Last stand happened and this is a direct sequel to that I take away half a star. Solid B+
½ August 1, 2017
Meh, better than the first not as good as the last.
½ July 31, 2017
A refreshing return to form.
½ July 24, 2017
There was a lot that needed to be done to recover from Wolverine's last couple of appearances, which suffered from too much melodrama or bombastic emptiness; stunningly James Mangold manages exactly that, whilst still building on what came before. The main lesson here is that less is more; gone are the needless proliferation of super-powered mutants, purposeless, drawn-out action and bloated, illogical plotting. Instead we continue the trend of films deconstructing superheroes by examining what happens when they retire and are stripped bare to be at their most vulnerable (see The Dark Knight Rises, Iron Man Three) This has yet to be done with such a different protagonist, a super-powered, unkillable anti-hero and its themes are accentuated by being placed into an on-the-run story filled with mystery, complex characters and short, sharp set-pieces. The only stark contrast to this is one villain who suffers from a serious case of scenery-chewing. Refreshingly, the Japan setting mostly leaves out Hollywood's prepossession of playing it for humour and stereotype. This is the most sympathetic, likeable and human Jackman's Wolverine has ever been and just when I expect to be tired of him, I'm left wanting more.
July 21, 2017
While refering the spetacular action scenes, "The Wolverine" might be considered one of the most brutal and awesome action movies in the superhero "X-Men" franchise. Obvioulsy, it has some problems that avoid it from being equally good as the first two "X-Men" movies or as "x-Men: First Class", which was able to build good characters in a remake/reboot. "The Wolverine" is worth seen due to the fantastic Hugh Jackman performance, some of the best action scenes in the whole franchise and a story that redeemed the character since "X-Men Origins: Wolverine".
July 19, 2017
A refreshing Wolverine movie that delivers the Wolverine that I always wanted to see, straight out of the comics.
July 16, 2017
2nd film again he surprised me
½ July 13, 2017
A decent entry in the X-Men movies with entertaining action scenes and a strong performance by Hugh Jackman, even though it can get a bit slow in the middle.
July 1, 2017
Good old Hugh Jackman "wolverine" never disappoints. It was quite enjoyable and entertaining however makes you miss the other mutants, seeing only wolverine and a bitchy viper.
June 24, 2017
Much better then the last wolverine movie. The final act is what brought the movie down. it had entertainment but it did not fit in with the rest of the movie.

8.0/10
June 21, 2017
The movie is okay but its worst movie from the X-Men Series ...
June 18, 2017
Um turbilhão de ação boba envolvendo um X-Men. O primeiro filme ineficaz da serie X-Men. A falta de elementos convincentes sub-julga a racionalidade do espectador, isso gera uma angustia conflitante e o interesse por The Wolverine fica cada vez menor, o conjunto de babaquices aplicadas joga na lama a carreira cinematográfica do lendário Wolverine que passa a ser visto agora como um andarilho imbecil.