The Wolverine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wolverine Reviews

½ May 18, 2018
Though the movie contains epic action and nice emotions, the movie suffers from being cartoonish, unoriginal and very paceless.
May 10, 2018
(79/100)
I didn't think The Wolverine was as low of a score as the critics say. It isn't bad, it's pretty decent. Towards the end it is a bit ridiculous, but apart from that it's quite good. I like how it deals with the events of X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) and how it deals with Logan's (Hugh Jackman) past. The conflict Logan (Hugh Jackman) has is pretty understandable: the burdon of having to live forever. Yashida (Hal Yamanouchi) was very well developed but his fight with Logan (Hugh Jackman) towards the end was quite silly. Overall The Wolverine is better than X-Men Origins - Wolverine and a pretty decent entry in the X-Men Franchise.
May 9, 2018
Mostly True to its Comic roots, still a solid watch!
May 5, 2018
This move seemed to struggle to keep itself watchable. It did have several worth while moments, but I ultimately found the story to be dull and the pacing to be just awful. I love Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, but even he couldn't save this movie from boring me. I don't hate it, but it is not one I would watch over and over again, either.
April 23, 2018
not that great of a film but still good to watch the bonus scene at the,end made it worth it.
½ April 12, 2018
'the wolverine' tries to be both an x-men film and japanese melodrama, ending up master of none. a flat script is the blemish here, and it transpires in spite of the fresh setting, it's all quite dull. however, a stoic hugh jackman commands the screen as usual.
April 4, 2018
I Love This So Much! BEST X-MEN MOVIE! I'm a marvel fanboy and all the xmen movies have been awesome except origins but this one, stands out! (5/5)
½ April 3, 2018
Wolverine's struggle had no better place to take ahold of him as in Japan, the land where ronin roamed and morals clashed. With Marvel movies, I gather that the comics are more of source inspiration than direct source material, but it matters little (perhaps because I prefer the movies to the comics) because director James Mangold has crafted an entertaining movie with a cohesive story, and Hugh Jackman, the only man who can ever play Wolverine is always in top form amid a stellar cast.
April 1, 2018
This movie is a MASTERPIECE. I LOVE EVERYTHING about this Movie. 10 out of 10 AND 5 out of 5 stars here on rotten tomatoes.
March 30, 2018
Boring, unimaginative and no interesting characters besides the Wolverine.
michael e.
½ March 29, 2018
Now Wolverine has a lot of baggage on its shoulders because one, it takes place in unfamiliar territory for the X-men films, and two, it is following the character where when he was alone last time, his movie bombed with critics, the box office, and people alike. But the question does remain, with such a new setting and with how the last film went with Wolverine, is it an improvement or a just as bad as the other Wolverine film?

First the acting. Now Hugh Jackman is one of the best Live action casting choices I've seen in a superhero film. Jackman gets the look of Wolverine down perfectly, making him both a badass, but likable at the same time. Jackman does a good job here and they do seem to flesh out the character much more here since this is a continuation of the X-men series after the events of Last Stand so we see him talking to Jean in hallucinations, and he is still a confused man trying to figure things out with his life since disbanding from the X-men. My one problem with a lot of the cast of this film, primarily the males, is that, not to sound racist, but they all look identical to me (Wow that sounds so racist). What I mean by that is, all the male characters in the movie all act the same, and none of the good guys I remember in the film are good guys, that or they are on the neutral side, so it all seems confusing when Logan fights this one guy which seemed essential to the plot, but then he fights this other guy that acts very similar and sounds similar, it just feels like a confusing mess, because I couldn't tell who a lot of the male characters were at times because of this. From who I could make out as a character I think they did well. There is this sort of Asian Hawkeye that's in the film and he does a pretty decent job but they don't use him that much out side of working for the other bad guy out of 5, so I can't say all that much about him. The woman who plays the Viper (Which I don't remember in the X-men comics at all or in any TV show) is not in the movie all that much, which could add to the mystery of this woman, but she is not interesting, and really annoying. She doesn't really have a motive in the film and she is just a bitch, and not in the good way, which I can't stand characters that are like that. Characters that are just there to be evil with knowing nothing about them at all, and has no reason really to be evil that I remember. Alot of the male characters are throw away and not that memorable so I really can't say that much about them at all. The two women in the movie that work with Wolverine are actually all not that bad. Tao Okamoto is pretty decent as Mariko and she does work off of Hugh Jackman fairly well and Rila Fukushima does a very good job as Yukio and does get a few good lines and some pretty badass katana moments in the movie. But overall there really isn't that much I can say about the cast outside of saying its mediocre at best outside of Hugh, Tao, and Rila.

Now the action. Another nitpick I do have with the film is that, in a couple scenes where Logan isn't seen as much, the movie becomes mainly martial arts and samurai style fighting with Yukio and it's at times like this where all I can see is a samurai or Kung fu or Martial arts film, and I'm sorry but it really takes me out of the film at points. Now I'm not saying the action isn't good, its fantastic. The choreography is well done, its just as satisfying to see and hear Wolverine impale and slice people as ever, and the end fight with the Silver Samurai is very well done as is the CG on that thing. if you have seen the film or the trailer you may probably know what I think the best action scene in the movie, and if you haven't seen the movie or the trailer, i'll just say, Bullet Train, and I'll leave it at that.

*NERD ALERT*
My one major gripe about the film is mainly a nitpick since I'm a big X-men fan and I just need to get it out of my system. This is probably the only X-men film to take place in Asia ever again, so might I ask one thing. Why is it that Lady Deathstrike is not the villain? Heres' your one Asian villain outside of the Silver Samurai (Who wasn't a robot in the comics but its a welcome badass change), and a pretty big villain at that, and you leave out Lady Deathstrike. This would've been the perfect opportunity to use Lady Deathstrike as the main villain, and I did read that the villain was a woman when I was first reading about this film, I just didn't read into who it was since I knew the film was going to take place in Asia so I just thought it was going to be either Silver Samurai or Lady Deathstrike, but no they use Viper AKA Madame Hydra who has nothing to do with Asia in the slightest outside of being married to Silver Samurai, which I'm VERY happy they didn't go through with here (if you see the movie you'll get why.) In fact she is the daughter of the Baron Von Strucker, who is the right hand man to the Red Skull, so this would've made so much more sense if they had used her in Captain America 2 Winter Soldier. I know this is me just getting pissed since I'm a big comic book fan and I rarely get mad about these kind of things in Superhero films since I'm usually fine with what DC or Marvel do since they do smart decisions with their films and how they reimagine characters or situations a lot of the time, but here it just annoys me to no end. Okay now that I have that rant out of the way, what do I think of the movie?

Now you may think I really don't like this movie and is up there with Origins as one of the worst superhero movies, but no I did thoroughly enjoy sitting through the film. The dialogue for the most part was well written, the CG and action was extremely well done, the acting was good on Jackman and the two girls parts, I like the idea of Wolverine not being basically invincible and can be hurt and even killed, and I like how it does this kind of psychological look into Wolverine with him constantly seeing Jean Grey as somewhat of a conscience. Plus stay to the middle of the credits as always since its a Marvel movie and there's a very interesting set up to the Days of Future Past coming out next year. I'd argue its one of the most entertaining out of the X-men films so I'd say its worth seeing.
½ March 25, 2018
Overall, the film is ok and would probably be better without the Wolverine, as a different type of film. It was too weird for my liking, and was a tad confusing. Because of this, I am rating the film a 7/10.
March 5, 2018
I thought it was alright. A fair pace and entertaining enough. Weird how the villain in the movie turn out to be
½ February 24, 2018
not bad lot of action
February 17, 2018
The Sequel to X-Men Origins: Wolverine manages to be a great sequel to a terrible film...thank god... This is a great continuation to the wolverine saga, and sure its got a few issues, but an all around great 2nd installment!
½ February 16, 2018
It has stock villains, and does throw basic physics out the window at times, but it does present a dramatic development for the titular hero that is helped by a rather unique action-packed environment for a Marvel movie.
February 14, 2018
good film a bit boring in some scenes
January 27, 2018
This has thrilling action sequences and a great story and Hugh Jackman is fantastic.
January 20, 2018
not as good as x men origins but good i like it
January 13, 2018
It was fine. Could've used more mutants with powers or something. Some cool action scenes particularly on the train. Goes without saying that Hugh Jackman was great. Flashback to Logan in World War II Japan was cool. Decent story for the most part. *SPOILER* The antagonist reason for building the "Silver Samurai" suit was peculiar. Didn't make much sense.