The Yellow Sea (Hwanghae) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Yellow Sea (Hwanghae) Reviews

½ January 18, 2017
Busting into a broad and harsh character, whose life is in the gutter. Rusted into debt and left by his wife, only shit comes up in the morning. Hired as a assassin, and somewhat deported to South Korea, this tale suddenly starts to cook. A vulcanic embrace of violence and survival awaits. Korean at its best.
October 11, 2016
a well crafted crime thriller, narrated through a 4 chapter format is effective. Ha Jung-woo (chaser, Berlin file) is a cab driver who is in dept, agrees on a assassination mission to South Korea to clear it off, but what follows is catastrophic. Gritty realistic bloody violence in abundance. Not to be missed violent action thriller from director Hong-jin Na (The wailing, The chaser).
September 13, 2016
You might need to watch this a couple of times over, as its plot is convoluted and not always making sense, but the mood and style of this chase thriller is good.
½ September 3, 2016
Frustrating. Na diminishes the strong aspects of The Chaser (the tension/suspense; the efficiency of plot; the tight, exciting pacing) and amplifies the little niggling problems I had with that first movie into giant roadblocks to my enjoyment. At several points it seems like he's trying to make events deliberately implausible as some kind of artistic statement, but my suspension of disbelief flew out the window during that first foot chase (something that he's inexplicably decided will be his directorial signature, though considering how shoddy his attempt at a car chase turned out it's probably a good idea) where the main character gets chased by the cops from The Blues Brothers, outrunning cars on straight stretches of road without breaking a sweat. Up until that point it's tense, interesting, compelling...and then the whole movie shifts gears and for the next two hours everyone's stabbing each other and chasing each other at superhuman speeds for extended periods of time for reasons not entirely clear to me, and being either unbelievably incompetent or unbelievably competent, depending on what the plot demands. I'm giving it props for presenting a cool scenario and a tense first act, but where I thought it was going (how's he going to do this in 10 days while also searching for his wife, are the two things connected, and what will be the implications when he either fails or succeeds?) was much more interesting than the overlong and chaotic clusterfuck of superhumans murdering henchmen it ended up going with. I'm disappointed in Na, and my excitement for The Wailing has diminished quite a bit.
August 31, 2016
One hell of a movie...it gets a little confusing about 3/4 of the way through with some unclear changing motives and superhuman fight scenes (some not even shown), but the movie shouldn't be missed. There is also a mysterious scene after the credits so don't turn it off right away.
July 11, 2016
There's a good film in here somewhere. Starts off decently enough but soon degenerates into an incomprehensible mess that's 30 minutes too long and bogged down in superfluous chase sequences that don't add much at all. Oh, and shaky cam. So damn much of it.
½ January 23, 2016
This film is really a bloody mess....I like it!
October 29, 2015
Decent thriller. Goes on a little too long. The gangster bosses were entertaining. The plot might be a little over complicated. Good stuff.
½ September 7, 2015
Excellent South Korean crime drama / thriller. Excellent action sequences add value. Really good stuff.
February 2, 2015
Beating around the bush kinda makes it feel too slow-paced & eventually leading to its failure to leave the impact the plot otherwise had the potential to.
½ August 24, 2014
a gripping thriller, but a little too long.
August 17, 2014
Uff...celkom surová záleitos?...prvá pomalia, detektívne ladená polovica versus brutálna sekerovo-noovo-ma?etoidna druhá polovica...ázia ma baví
July 26, 2014
MASTERPIECE OF CHASE FILM
July 18, 2014
UPDATE: prob hands down one of the best movies i've ever seen. The writer/director blows away any sense of the "norm" along with even with multiple viewing continues to keep you wondering whats going to happen next. The combo of Jung-woo Ha and Yun-seok Kim in reversed roles from the Chaser is amazing as always. Another win for Korean filmmakers
½ July 5, 2014
Variation Of Typical Hollywood Action-Thrillers. The Story Loses Focus Near The End, But It Has Most Definitely Got Lots Of Twists, Turns & Gritty (Gorey) Moments.
June 13, 2014
Slightly overlong, but mostly gripping, another quality gritty thriller from South Korea.
April 18, 2014
Very overrated. Some decent scenes of graphic violence ruined by an overly convoluted plot. Those looking for something as amazing as I Saw The Devil or The Raid, will have to keep looking.
March 26, 2014
Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy plenty of foreign films and I'm not the typical American who tunes out as soon as subtitles start popping up. With that said, this movie was just a chore to get through. A cabbie is hired as a hitman but doesn't know why, should be good, but I just couldn't get into it.
February 26, 2014
Guns are not the weapon of choice in this film, knives, axes, and a huge badass hunk of bone are incorporated nicely into the film! Unlike a gun you need to get up close and personal when you use these weapons! There is something primal about it, a guttural throwback to a time when man fought man face to face!

No rest for the wicked in this fast paced film with its intense chases! Extremely bloody and violent! A villain so ruthless, so relentlessly brutal it sends chills up and down your spine!
½ February 18, 2014
Bad dreams bring good fortune.

A cab driver down on his luck has lost his wife and daughter and does his best to make ends meet by working long hours and gambling. He racks up gambling debts to the wrong kind of people and doesn't know how he can pay them back in time to prevent something terrible from happening to him. He is offered the chance to earn a ton of money if he becomes an assassin that could turn his life around; unfortunately, after his first mission he realizes things are anything but better.

"Even if I sell your eyes, your guts, and your sleazy daughter to a dirty pimp, it still won't cover your debts."

Na Hong-jin, director of The Chaser, delivers Yellow Sea. The storyline for this picture is first rate and a nice blend of violence, characters development, and crime drama. I adored how this film was presented and the pace of the picture. The ultimate conclusion, after the credits, was also well done. The acting is perfect and the cast includes Ha Jung-woo, Kim Yun-seok, and Jo Sung Ha.

"Your wife is fucking around on you. Why would she want to give you money?"

Yellow Sea is a movie I found on Netflix and decided to give a chance based on its interesting plot. I found the film very well done. It isn't as good as Ishii the Killer or Old Boy, but I found it every entertaining and a very nice addition to the thriller genre. This film contains dynamic characters and a great story. This is definitely worth your time!

"You have to bring me his finger. The thumb."

Grade: A