The Yellow Sea (Hwanghae) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Yellow Sea (Hwanghae) Reviews

July 11, 2016
There's a good film in here somewhere. Starts off decently enough but soon degenerates into an incomprehensible mess that's 30 minutes too long and bogged down in superfluous chase sequences that don't add much at all. Oh, and shaky cam. So damn much of it.
½ January 23, 2016
This film is really a bloody mess....I like it!
October 29, 2015
Decent thriller. Goes on a little too long. The gangster bosses were entertaining. The plot might be a little over complicated. Good stuff.
½ September 7, 2015
Excellent South Korean crime drama / thriller. Excellent action sequences add value. Really good stuff.
February 2, 2015
Beating around the bush kinda makes it feel too slow-paced & eventually leading to its failure to leave the impact the plot otherwise had the potential to.
½ August 24, 2014
a gripping thriller, but a little too long.
August 17, 2014
Uff...celkom surová záleitos?...prvá pomalia, detektívne ladená polovica versus brutálna sekerovo-noovo-ma?etoidna druhá polovica...ázia ma baví
July 26, 2014
MASTERPIECE OF CHASE FILM
July 18, 2014
UPDATE: prob hands down one of the best movies i've ever seen. The writer/director blows away any sense of the "norm" along with even with multiple viewing continues to keep you wondering whats going to happen next. The combo of Jung-woo Ha and Yun-seok Kim in reversed roles from the Chaser is amazing as always. Another win for Korean filmmakers
½ July 5, 2014
Variation Of Typical Hollywood Action-Thrillers. The Story Loses Focus Near The End, But It Has Most Definitely Got Lots Of Twists, Turns & Gritty (Gorey) Moments.
June 13, 2014
Slightly overlong, but mostly gripping, another quality gritty thriller from South Korea.
April 18, 2014
Very overrated. Some decent scenes of graphic violence ruined by an overly convoluted plot. Those looking for something as amazing as I Saw The Devil or The Raid, will have to keep looking.
March 26, 2014
Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy plenty of foreign films and I'm not the typical American who tunes out as soon as subtitles start popping up. With that said, this movie was just a chore to get through. A cabbie is hired as a hitman but doesn't know why, should be good, but I just couldn't get into it.
February 26, 2014
Guns are not the weapon of choice in this film, knives, axes, and a huge badass hunk of bone are incorporated nicely into the film! Unlike a gun you need to get up close and personal when you use these weapons! There is something primal about it, a guttural throwback to a time when man fought man face to face!

No rest for the wicked in this fast paced film with its intense chases! Extremely bloody and violent! A villain so ruthless, so relentlessly brutal it sends chills up and down your spine!
½ February 18, 2014
Bad dreams bring good fortune.

A cab driver down on his luck has lost his wife and daughter and does his best to make ends meet by working long hours and gambling. He racks up gambling debts to the wrong kind of people and doesn't know how he can pay them back in time to prevent something terrible from happening to him. He is offered the chance to earn a ton of money if he becomes an assassin that could turn his life around; unfortunately, after his first mission he realizes things are anything but better.

"Even if I sell your eyes, your guts, and your sleazy daughter to a dirty pimp, it still won't cover your debts."

Na Hong-jin, director of The Chaser, delivers Yellow Sea. The storyline for this picture is first rate and a nice blend of violence, characters development, and crime drama. I adored how this film was presented and the pace of the picture. The ultimate conclusion, after the credits, was also well done. The acting is perfect and the cast includes Ha Jung-woo, Kim Yun-seok, and Jo Sung Ha.

"Your wife is fucking around on you. Why would she want to give you money?"

Yellow Sea is a movie I found on Netflix and decided to give a chance based on its interesting plot. I found the film very well done. It isn't as good as Ishii the Killer or Old Boy, but I found it every entertaining and a very nice addition to the thriller genre. This film contains dynamic characters and a great story. This is definitely worth your time!

"You have to bring me his finger. The thumb."

Grade: A
½ January 30, 2014
Le veritable probleme avec The Murderer, c'est la comparaison avec le premier long metrage de Na Hong-Jin, l'infiniment superieur The Chaser. Ici, le film manque cruellement de rythme et de clarte. L'histoire est alambiquee, les personnages peu engageants, les acteurs assez mal castes (Kim Yoon-Seok est peu credible en bad guy) et la musique franchement mediocre. Heureusement, Na Hong-Jin reussit quelques scenes d'action efficaces et Ha Jung-Woo est excellents.
½ November 24, 2013
Gritty thriller and social commentary too. Great action.
November 20, 2013
Just watched "The Yellow Sea" Director's Cut for the first time....
Have previously seen the R-Rated version,but this one is xtra/ultra-violent and gut wrenching,and of course brilliant as usual.
Shouldn't be missed if You're a true Movie-lover.
November 4, 2013
This film crossed my threshold for acceptable violence after about 1&1/2 hours, then it started losing points. Lots of bloody, gritty stabbings, bludgeonings and torture. There is no character to really side with. Even the main protagonist is as much a bad guy as anyone else. There are bitter-sweet movies, and then there's just bitter movies like this. Will appeal to some.

Well made though, I'll give it that.
October 28, 2013
Not as good as The Chaser but still a worthwhile watch. It's as bleak as hell though!