There Will Be Blood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

There Will Be Blood Reviews

October 9, 2017
Cinematography is fantastic and the performances from Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano are to die for.
September 19, 2017
Great stuff. Great performances and the score was awesome!
September 12, 2017
Daniel Day-Lewis being Daniel Day Lewis. Bags of Character! But that's not to forget Paul Dano's role and performance either and especially the directing from Paul Thomas Anderson. This is film making!
August 20, 2017
Amazing movie. Well done on all accounts.
½ August 15, 2017
There Will Be Blood should've been titled "Here Be Oil". If you were hoping for blood, violence and plenty of gore...put this film back and choose a Tarantino film instead. What we have though, is an extremely intelligent character study on an individual who is the definition of corrupt. Whilst mining silver, Daniel Plainview discovers an abundance of oil and rapidly starts his own oil extraction company. Success, money and power skews his moral compass as he slowly becomes one of the most unlikeable movie characters I've ever seen. He would do pretty much anything to maintain his company, much like any extreme tycoon enterpriser. Murder people? Definitely. Charm landowners to only then deceive them the next minute? Yeah, why not. Abandon your own son? Whoa now, a step too far. A subtle darkly comedic undertone surrounds the film, particularly with the theme of faith. Mind you, it becomes clearer during the final act where he repeatedly provokes someone into shouting "I am a false prophet!!". Whilst the narrative is savage and depressing, simultaneously the visual imagery is just as relentless. The scene where the oil well is accidentally set alight was a beautiful mess. I was entranced. I don't think prospecting or mining is a career I would want to pursue after watching this...! Daniel Day-Lewis deserved that Oscar, he was phenomenal. Yet another transformative performance. Felt sorry for Paul Dano who was excellent but completely overshadowed by Lewis. The musical score was abrupt yet fitting, really admired it. The film did slow down during the second act where Plainview meets a long lost relative, but picks up again in the third act. This deserves the critical acclaim, and perhaps with future viewings it will get the perfect rating. Cements Daniel Day-Lewis as one of the best actors ever.
August 10, 2017
Where to start, where to start......Well, first off. I love Daniel Day-Lewis. Do not think I have seen one bad movie of his.... From "In the Name Of The Father" to "The Last of the Mohicans. I think he is just one great actor. If this is the first film you see of his, I think you will see why he is known to be so great. It is a bit of a longer movie but it gives the story more time to develop, every angle is not wasted. Has great character and relationship build up. I really can not think of any better movie that tops the list in my head. The acting and even the music are just spot on. I have honestly watched this movie twice in one day.
August 9, 2017
Outstanding.
My cousin summed it up: "It's pretty much just Daniel Day Lewis being the best actor ever."
½ August 2, 2017
The first time I looked at this film this just bored me, but looking at it again years later, i can definitely see why this is hailed a masterpiece (though I still think Magnolia is my favorite PTA film)
½ July 22, 2017
I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!! Ten years after its release, I decided to revisit Paul Thomas Anderson's multi-award winning vision of oilman Daniel Plainview to see whether my original reaction (it confounded me) still held true. The answer is yes. The reason is because the film feels unpredictable and I can't shake the impression that the characters function as symbols (let's call them "capitalism" and "religion") as well as more straightforward actors in the narrative. That narrative tells the story of Plainview, a DIY guy (played by Daniel Day Lewis) who basically digs oil wells by himself by hand in 1898 and then graduates to running his own oil company. To do so, he leases the drilling rights from homesteaders in the U.S. West, particularly California. As such, the film also functions as an economic and social history lesson for Americans. Can these threads ("capitalism" and "religion" again) be followed forward beyond the film's trajectory into the future? The foregrounded story (rather than the larger symbolic one) sees Plainview making a deal with the Sunday family of New Boston, CA, and most of the neighbouring families to drill for crude on their property. The wrinkle for Plainview is that the oldest son, Eli Plainview (Paul Dano), is also a preacher who has started his own evangelical Christian Church of the Third Revelation. Eli demands money and attention for his Church which the obstinate Daniel Plainview refuses to provide (although agreeing publicly). Another plot strand focuses on the relationship between Daniel and his son H. W. (a child through most of the film). We're asked to consider that the self-made men who became filthy rich by exploiting America's natural resources (admittedly by willing it through their own gutsy hard work) were likely to have been selfish competitive unfeeling jerks. Anderson's script tilts so far in this direction that one could be tempted to see Plainview as a Satanic figure positioned against Eli's faithful servant of God. Except that Anderson doesn't let religion off the hook that easily, portraying Eli as a likely charlatan, growing fat off the gullibility of his flock. So, there's a lot to unpack in the film, which can feel dense and claustrophobic except, that is, for the expansive and spectacular cinematography (by Robert Elswit) that captures the quality of the harsh Western sunlight in a way that I don't recall seeing elsewhere. One sequence involving a derrick which catches on fire (set to Jonny Greenwood's propulsive and often dissonant score) is particularly amazing, especially at night. But if there's one thing to watch this movie for it is the phenomenal over-the-top acting by Daniel Day Lewis (channelling John Huston in Chinatown) which grows to a crescendo in the final abrupt coda and climax in the Plainview mansion in 1927. I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!!
July 19, 2017
Six starz film! Timeless
July 17, 2017
Small towns and farmers shift from agriculture to oil in this tremendous gothic post-western as a man shot through with sourness builds a ruthless empire buying land (rights) from struggling farmers.
Everything is grist to his mill, exploiting any weakness and getting rid of every encumbrance ironically up close and personal.
Almost operatic in it realisation, I'd suggest a small intoxicant of your choice as a good way to appreciate the film, but do see it if you missed its theatre release.
July 17, 2017
Paul Thomas Anderson's 'There Will Be Blood' deservingly won 2 Oscars and was nominated for 6 more.

Daniel Day-Lewis was given an entire year to prepare for the role of Daniel Plainview and it shows. Even more incredible is the fact that Paul Dano was given just 4 days (!) to prepare for his breakout role as Eli Sunday after he was originally cast to just play the smaller part of Paul Sunday (the script was quickly re-written to make the brothers twins so that Dano could pull double duty).

While the Oscar for Day-Lewis' performance is a no-brainer, the other--for cinematography--is actually quite debatable. Sure, the Texas locations and landscapes were quite remarkable, but there were also plenty of times when the images on the screen were unnecessarily dark. I would've preferred if the film won the Oscar for best sound editing (for which it was indeed nominated) as the use of sound--including distinct moments of silence--heightened the overall viewing experience to an even greater degree.
July 16, 2017
Speaks volumes of the American experience, a truly mystifying and engaging masterpiece held in part by one of the best performance of all time, Day-Lewis as Plainview.
July 13, 2017
Is just PT Anderson's best work to date? Possibly the best independent movie ever made. Wonderfully provocative art walking a fine line between uncompromising character study, troll cinema, and emotionally detached historical piece. Not only understood the depths of narcissism and flaw of capitalism, but single-handedly reduced the "Serious Oscar Bait" category to mockery. Emotionally cathartic for every moviegoer who frets about the ills of the world but demands allegory for comfort's sake.

When I first saw Paul Thomas Anderson's There Will Be Blood, I was annoyed. Annoyed at the abrupt final act, and annoyed at Daniel Plainvew's life. Then I realized, about a day later, this was American filmmaking at its ballsiest. Daniel Plainview is a magnificent caricature of American values, and his 19th century industrialist disdain for human life, is somehow the perfect embodiment for 21st century selfishness. He is what we are, what we will become, and what we fear the most. The movie itself forces us to consider our own personal dichotomy of religion and faith (through the hypocritical Eli character) and materialism. Whichever you choose, you lose your soul.

What I Learned: I am embarrassed to admit that I really relate to Daniel Plainview. I know I shouldn't but I do. His lack of attachment to people, his burying himself in a profession that doesn't "love" anyone, and his mistrust of everything except what his own hands can reach was a terrifying vision of what a naturally anti-social person can easily turn into. In art and in life, I am always running from Daniel, the definitive peak of decadence that you never want to reach, as an artist who strives to inspire people for the betterment of humanity, and as a human being who must always love people more than life experience. Otherwise, everything is worthless.
June 26, 2017
Silver miner Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day-Lewis) leads a hardscrabble life with his son, H.W. (Dillon Freasier). When he hears about oil oozing from the ground near the Western town of Little Boston, Daniel takes his son on a mission to find their fortune. Daniel makes his lucky strike and becomes a self-made tycoon but, as his fortune grows, he deviates into moral bankruptcy.
June 26, 2017
My First Feature-Length Film Will Be Called ''True Crime''.
June 11, 2017
Film-making at its finest.
May 31, 2017
Paul Thomas Anderson's best work, There Will Be Blood is a modern classic of capitalism, Greed, Rage, and oil coming from Daniel Day-Lewis as well
½ May 1, 2017
This movie is one of those watch-one-time-only sort of movies. I say this because the main character that the story follows is so unlikeable and such a bastard that it's not fun to watch. The movie is not that pleasant to watch, is what I'm saying. Your not going to have a fun time watching this movie. This is for true movie lovers.

Nevertheless, this movie was really good and the acting and set pieces were on point. Would I watch it again? Mmm maybe not.
April 29, 2017