There Will Be Blood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

There Will Be Blood Reviews

½ October 22, 2016
Wow. Daniel Day-Lewis kills it in this film. Very original screenplay that takes you back to the oil drilling days and early 1900's. Very cool period to witness. Well shot and directed with an amazing score. Ran a bit long but great story nonetheless.
October 22, 2016
What the hell am I supposed to say about this movie? I don't even know how it was made. PT Anderson did it a did DDL (but who really doubted him?).
October 21, 2016
it took me years to understand this movie but it is a masterpiece in every way. I'm surprised it only won two Oscars.
½ October 11, 2016
The combination of PTA and DDL leads to arguably the greatest portrayal, in cinematic history, of a tempestuous, flawed, and inevitably tragic hero.
October 2, 2016
9/10 Daniel day Lewis at his best
October 1, 2016
(update 10/1/16: This movie is flawless; old me didn't know what the fuck he was talking about) I found this movie to be severely overrated. Granted, Daniel Day Lewis does by far his best work ever, which is really saying something seeing how great he's always been. I loved the score to this movie as well, helped build up intensity when it needed to. And there were some pretty intense scenes as well, especially when they strike oil. But there were way too many unnecessary scenes as well, in my opinion. I don't care how long it was, that didn't bother me, but it seemed that there were some shots, lines and scenes that were simply put in there to make it a little longer and to seem a little more epic, which it's not. Too many times I was left wondering "What was the point of that scene we just saw?" DDL deserves nothing less than the Oscar he's been nominated for, but as far as Best Picture, I think you could replace this movie with The Assassination of Jesse James, in my opinion the best movie of 2007. Overall, this is a good movie, but not a great movie, as I had hoped for.
September 21, 2016
an absolute masterpiece
½ September 19, 2016
Ordinarily there are two types of movies that are extremely easy to talk about: ones I love, and ones I hate. Usually it's only the middling movies where I struggle to have the passion to articulate much about the experience. Well, There Will Be Blood is a film that I absolutely loved and by all rights I should be overflowing with words to describe why, yet I'm having trouble pinpointing what it was that made me so passionate about it. I think it's pretty obvious that one thing that makes it special is the stunning performance from Daniel Day-Lewis. There's so much depth to the character of Daniel Plainview that I never knew what to expect next. It felt like at any moment he could reach across a table and stab the person he's talking to in the neck, or just as easily embrace them with an insincere hug. The plot of the film perfectly shows how passion and determination shaped this character, and how he could either have great success or great failure because of his pride. At first I was put off by Paul Dano in the role of the young pastor who makes Daniel's life more difficult. But, as the film progressed, I saw how his baby-face and grating personality would be perfect for someone who stands in Daniel's way.

So many of the moments in There Will Be Blood are the kind of things that I would ordinarily hate. It is slow-moving and long, the plot is not unique or complex, and most of the characters are completely unlikable. Yet I was absolutely mesmerized by this film. The cinematography was perfect, the music set a great tone, the dialogue was sparse but always meaningful, and so much was going on in the characters' heads even when no words were spoken. The ending might be one of the most intense and unexpected ways to conclude a film that I can imagine. Even though I have heard certain lines of dialogue from that scene before, I didn't realize the context and they mean nothing until you hear them delivered by Daniel Day-Lewis. When it was done all I wanted was to know what happened next. They left me wanting more, and yet also resolved everything that the film had been building towards. I think all movie fans should give There Will Be Blood a chance. It is a movie that resonated with me in ways I never would have expected, and in my opinion it probably should have won against The Departed for Best Picture.
September 17, 2016
In my top 5. Epic, unforgettable. Daniel Day-Lewis' masterpiece.
½ September 10, 2016
Daniel Day-Lewis is the greatest actor of his generation and he doesn't disappoint here. I can't say that I particularly like this movie but I can appreciate it for the epic it is.
September 4, 2016
WTF was the point of any of this.
September 4, 2016
DDL what a performance. 'Nuff said.
August 31, 2016
Mala...lenta y sin asunto durante largos pasajes. Además intenta utilizar la musica de forma artificial utilizando gran exitación sonora en escenas donde no sucede nada... experimento que esta vez salió mal. Tiene unas cuantas escenas notablemente actuadas pero son tan aisladas que a los sumo parece que la pelicula se hizo solo como una forma de mostrar esas escenas...mal.
August 26, 2016
Daniel Day-Lewis might be my favorite actor of all time. The movie proves it. The whole thing is insane, I think it's like my only 5 star rating.
½ August 26, 2016
Epic drama about an oil tycoon, set in the 1900's.
Story kicks in in half an hour, and it's not conventional cinema.
½ August 25, 2016
Bolstered by incredible cinematography and phenomenal performances from Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano, There Will Be Blood is excellent from start to finish. With his career-defining performance, Daniel Day-Lewis solidifies himself as one of the finest actors of the modern era, and sets the bar high for what it means to be a good actor.
August 23, 2016
Without a doubt one of the top 3 most overrated movies I have ever seen, if it wasn't for Daniel Day Lewis' performance this movie would be a 'complete' waste of time rather than just being a waste of time, if u want to bore yourself to death for 2 and a half hour I'd recommend community service and doing something useful with it
August 23, 2016
With phenomenal atmosphere, amazing cinematography and a decade defining performance from Daniel Day Lewis as Daniel Plainview. There Will Be Blood is a epic masterpiece about Capitalism and the Corruption of the American Dream.
August 19, 2016
I guess I just don't like jerk guy works hard makes tons of cash rejects family and is still a jerk movies. That said it is a well made movie, well acted, solid script and beautifully shot. I still don't like it.
August 16, 2016
This was intense, and probably worth the Oscars it got