There Will Be Blood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

There Will Be Blood Reviews

April 21, 2018
Great acting by Daniel Day Lewis. But I'm not sure what the story was about. Why is he so angry? Why does he occasionally kill random people? Didn't really get the point here. I liked the historical aspects. Soundtrack was very good too.
Mark H.
April 18, 2018
A masterpiece. This film is about as close to a perfect film as I have ever seen. So focused. So absolutely sure-footed. Paul Thomas Anderson knows from the opening shots to the incredible closing scene precisely where this movie is going. Daniel Day-Lewis is not playing Daniel Plainview. He IS him. Day-Lewis ceases to exist inside this uber-intense, driven, pathologically greedy capitalist. Plainview exists solely to obtain wealth. But not just wealth, he wants to destroy anyone who poses even the slightest obstacle to his plans. He is sinister, calculating and lacks almost any semblance of kindness or love. He uses people, even his "son," an orphan who's father died working for Plainview. He is patient, willing to work for years to build his empire. His purpose is merely to achieve enough wealth to build a mansion and live alone. This movie is almost unbearably intense at times. One of the best depictions of what unbridled capitalism looks like, set during the oil boom of the early 1900's. By 1920's, Plainview is a millionaire many times over, living in a huge, sprawling mansion that he treats recklessly (a scene depicts him shooting various objects inside an ornate hall with a gun). He is aging, crippled from his early fall down a mine shaft, and an alcoholic. This movie is probably one of the top 10 movies ever made. Every scene feels right.
½ April 15, 2018
My second watch. Maybe long at parts, but that's all PTA. A little bit of everything including comedy and top soundtrack.
April 15, 2018
Some call this film boring and arbitrary, but I think this slow-burning yet thrilling epic is a masterpiece. The film features DDL's best performance, in my opinion, complex characters, and beautiful cinematography. Some
may find Daniel Plainview's actions and choices of words confusing, but you just have to get inside his head, and Paul Thomas Anderson does a very good job at letting the audience do just that. Not to mention a wonderful score by Jonny Greenwood.
March 11, 2018
Paul Thomas Anderson leaves nothins to chance to make 'There Will Be Blood' a masterpiece, and, at our greatest astonishment, he succeeds.
½ March 11, 2018
A dark and Fascinating movie
March 8, 2018
There Will be Blood is a masterpiece of craft. Director Paul Thomas Anderson's (PTA) dark tale of oil, greed and capitalism is vividly captured on screen. This sprawling epic excels the raw madness in the early days of business tycoons. Actor Daniel Day-Lewis has never been better, in his performance of a lifetime as a turn-of-the-century prospector named Daniel Plainview. Blood and oil are running rapidly through Plainview's veins as he continues to grow his business. There Will Be Blood is a poetic experience for cinema. It's magnificent and it's wholly original. This will be a film that will be study for generations to come.
March 6, 2018
EVERYTHING about this movie is genius .
March 4, 2018
Adam, you told me nobody died in this movie!
½ March 4, 2018
So long. This movie could have been half the length and tell the same story.
March 2, 2018
Certo sarebbe facile per me scrivere tante belle parole su questo film ritenuto da tutta la critica internazionale come un capolavoro senza tempo, tra i migliori film del 21░ secolo e non solo. Il film Ŕ senza dubbio un esperienza intensa e particolare che fa brillare un'interpretazione storica, ma per me risulta ancora molto pesante e duro da digerire. Sotto gli aspetti tecnici Ŕ la perfezione, una fotografia curatissima accompagna piani sequenza ed inquadrature spettacolari, che dimostrano un'altra volta il talento indiscusso del regista. E' anche un film intelligente, riflessivo, che prende il suo tempo per dare un messaggio e dire qualcosa. Non lo fa con metodi convenzionali, banali o facili da capire: Ŕ necessario un intenso sforzo da parte dello spettatore per elevare l'esperienza al massimo. Daniel Day Lewis ci regala l'interpretazione migliore della sua carriera, e forse una delle migliori della storia, le sue espressioni facciali e l'intensitÓ della sua recitazione hanno dell'incredibile. Nel complesso mi unisco alla critica e lo ritengo un capolavoro, un capolavoro pesante, intenso, riflessivo e memorabile, tra i migliori film di Paul T. Anderson e dell'inizio del secolo.
February 22, 2018
Though "No Country for Old Men" has the upper hand when it comes to suspense, you can't deny the significance that "There Will Be Blood" has brought onto the big screen. The cinematography was unique and beautiful. All shots felt like they came out of a painting. It's a film that studies the dark side of capitalism and how it can break a good man into two. Daniel Day Lewis is both mesmerizing and unforgettable in the role of Plainview, an oil-obsessed monarch who will do everything in his power to keep his empire growing. For filmmakers who seek strong characters and performances, this is a good film to start.
February 19, 2018
Spellbinding! Wonderfully Dark! Outstanding performances by Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano! A classic film about how man's greed can turn him into an evil monster! Great cinematography and a great art direction which clearly evokes the period of this film. You have to see this if not for the film but for Daniel Day-Lewis' Oscar winning performance!
February 17, 2018
i drink your milkshake (sluurrp) i drink up!
½ February 17, 2018
A cinematic wonder. Character portrait extraordinaire.
½ February 17, 2018
The jarring last years in the field of a miner turned oil-man, are being thrown upon the viewer by the amazing performances of Day-Lewis and Paul Dano. One cannot say this movie is perfect and the pacing feels a little bit of at times but the pros outweigh the cons heavily.
February 10, 2018
Outstanding DDL performance as usual, Dano great too
½ January 29, 2018
Daniel Craig is brilliant! However, the movie didn't really do much for me.
January 19, 2018
There Will Be Blood dances to the beat of a different drum, and it's the unusual way Paul Thomas Anderson tells this story that makes it worth watching. It really is a unique film. Daniel Day-Lewis is absolutely compelling as the charming, yet repulsive protagonist, and you really don't know who to root for as the movie progresses. I don't know why I waited so long to see it, but I'm glad I finally did.
½ January 19, 2018
Wow, it's awful. It's different but wow it's awful. Long, slow, uninteresting, terribly boring. Just terrible.