There Will Be Blood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

There Will Be Blood Reviews

July 25, 2016
The best movie of the 2000s. Period!
½ July 24, 2016
The obsession of a man to undertake portrayed so faithfully that scares, perhaps the set of techniques brilliantly used by Paul Thomas Anderson that makes this film enchant and disturb at the same time is a human retraction, dirty and beautiful, a factor that contributes significantly is the soundtrack used by Paul and composed by Jonny Greenwood, very reminiscent of Kubrick's films, counterpoint beautiful scenery, the black oil mud, the sun from west to shed blood, you feel all the soundtrack is great, photography is as good as, open plans that Paul uses are always awesome, and the performances are incredible, if the film is great, half of that credit goes to the performances, beginning with Daniel Day-Lewis arrives to scare so transformed that character is Paul Dano is also great, and it really gets inside the character, can criticize the sermons he gives up being stressed or even false, but his character is false and forced.
The script is not brilliant, but has many more virtues than faults, it is tightly closed in himself, and has a great character development, though sometimes leave a little vague objective thereof, and after a while the rhythm is lost a little, but for those who are already completely immersed in the story, it makes no difference, "Blood" is a great movie.
The end may be medium dubio, I have friends who saw and understood nothing, Daniel Plainview is a psychopath? No, Daniel is a sincere and flawed man, he admits his ambition, he confronts his mistakes, and to a certain point is recognized as a "sinner," and is always judged by that, which he admits is other fallible humans who do not take their mistakes and are well regarded for it is for this reason that Eli's character bothers you so much, because it is as sinful as Daniel, and yet is always well seen (this is clear in the train scene, to where Eli part for their mission), and this character shift socially acceptable pursues and makes you want to fix your way nothing methodical and obsessive, it is clear when he kills the false brother and the false prophet making them confess their faults before they died .

Forgive my English translator google.
July 22, 2016
***
It's a bit overlong, and suffers from some pacing issues, but one can't help but admire Paul Thomas Anderson's well made drama, that is helped by a great performance by Daniel Day-Lewis.
½ July 21, 2016
A very stark and solemn film that provides a commentary on capitalism and religion versus greed. Daniel Day-Lewis, as always, performs very strongly in this film. I found it engaging in a subtle way, enjoyed for its seriousness and not for anything really fun. It's easy to see why it is lauded highly by critics.
July 20, 2016
what a movie just brilliant and original.plus some of Daniel day lewis best acting (he is always brilliant anyway).
July 19, 2016
Unrelenting brutality when humans are in the state of Nature.
July 19, 2016
The "rise and fall" archetype is often complimentary for gangster films. I wouldn't call "There Will Be Blood" a gangster movie. However, it was interesting how they implemented that archetype into this film. They did so with great results.

The rise of a miner named Daniel Plainview turned wealthy oilman is explored in this film from the years 1898 - 1927. The film shows how he becomes wealthy, and how he takes advantage of those around him in order to achieve his goals at all costs.

This movie is very depressing in many ways. After H.W.'s father dies in an accident when he's an infant, Daniel adopts him, and he pretends that he's his son. He uses him just so he can help him deceive the Sunday family more. Also, it's really hard to watch the scene where he becomes deaf in an accident. However, despite everything he experienced in the film, his character represents hope. He shows that even though Daniel used him as a ploy for better business and wealth, he is still able to break free of the chains he's held down with. Since he and Daniel Plainview are more educated than the Sunday family, he is easily able to see through all of it and know that what Daniel is doing is wrong.

After you think about the film a little bit, you start to realize how Daniel used every character he met in the film. After he becomes fed-up with H.W., he spares no time in finding an excuse to get rid of him by sending him to a school for deaf kids. He just works with his long-lost brother to keep deceiving his workers with the family image. If his brother leaves the film, he - only then - brings his son back. Daniel Plainview is a really memorable character, because he is able to expertly deceive those around him without them being able to notice nor do anything about it. At some points in the film, the viewer starts to be tricked into liking Daniel Plainview and it's very easy to forget about his true colors as a result.

The cinematography in this movie is excellent. The shots of the desert are gorgeous to look at, and the shots of the ranch feel atmospheric. Every shot makes you feel like you're actually in the time period this movie takes place in. One of the shots that the movie does very well is how it shows you how insignificant the characters are. It shows you a shot of a character. Then, the camera would move up to make it seem like they're in the middle of nowhere. This technique is best utilized in the beginning. After Daniel falls into a mine and breaks his leg, he has to climb out and crawl back to his fellow miners. A shot is pointed at him crawling on his back. Then, the camera moves up and shows us how much he has to trek back. This is a powerful shot, and it's good that they made this technique clear by utilizing it very well in the beginning. That way, the viewer would continue to be immersed every time they did this in the film.

The acting was really good. Daniel Day-Lewis as Daniel Plainview stole the show. He deserved that Oscar he won. Every single line he spoke was convincing. Near the beginning of the film, his voice continuously evoked a slight feeling of distrust. As he got more suspicious and as he made more enemies, his facial expressions gave the viewer a feeling that something bad was about to happen. The highlight of his performance was at the end of the film though. He gives reactions so convincing that they might as well by passed off as genuine. When he slowly goes insane, the viewer feels like the same is happening to them. I honestly can't decide who I liked more: Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men or Daniel Day-Lewis in this film. Both of them were about equally amazing. I liked most of the cast. They were pretty good. However, if I'd have to criticize one actor, it would have to be Paul Dano as Eli Sunday. His performance was good for the most part. However, I felt like he lost some of his believability during the scenes of him preaching at his church. He seemed a bit over-the-top in those scenes. Also, there were a few other parts in the film where when he was yelling, his voice got a bit high-pitched and that didn't fare too well with me. Overall, however, he gave a good performance. He just didn't balance out the impact that Daniel Day-Lewis left.

The soundtrack works very well in the movie. There are some songs which sound very haunting, and they do a very good job at representing the feelings of deception that the movie provides. An example of a really effective soundtrack comes in during the gas blowout scene. The striking minimalist soundtrack sets a feeling of urgency, and it makes the scene suspenseful as a result. While the soundtrack worked very well in the film, I found it a bit uninteresting and bland to listen to on my own. It was a soundtrack which was meant to be listened to in the movie. It was still pretty good, but I'm not going to be signing off on its praises anytime soon.

In conclusion, this was an amazing movie which was almost perfect. Daniel Plainview and the tension he had with other characters in the film was great and the cinematography was very well-done. For the most part, the acting was good and the soundtrack was still good despite its flaws. This movie is often compared to "No Country for Old Men" as the 2 were filmed in the same desert. I think that this was an amazing film. However, I liked "No Country for Old Men" a little more.
½ July 17, 2016
This movie is so painfully boring, it was through sheer will power I got through to the end.
July 17, 2016
The Daniel Day-Lewis show.
½ July 15, 2016
Daniel Plainview is told about oil oozing from the ground in a small town. So he goes there to make his fortune and he does, but as he becomes more successful, Daniel begins to lose his morality. There will be blood has memorable characters, dialogue, and some sequences of action and violence. Daniel Day-Lewis gives one of the best performances I have ever seen. Overall, there will be blood is an excellent film with a one of a kind character.
July 15, 2016
With performances by Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano, PTA's direction and script and Robert Elswit's cinematography, There Will Be Blood is one of the greatest films ever made creating an intriguing character study as it builds more intensity as the film progresses to an explosive finale.
July 9, 2016
Excellence everywhere. Great Paul Thomas Anderson, great story, great locations, and above all, great acting leaded by a really deserved Oscar winner, Daniel Day-Lewis
½ July 7, 2016
A look into obsession and madness through some great cinematography with an alluring setup, but never amounts to much but strangeness in the end and leaves you looking back trying to find meaning when the intrigue of the plot came up short.
July 6, 2016
It's a good movie with a very interesting story. Amazing cinematography and there's a nice but strange artistic vibe to it... Don't let the title trick you though, "There Will Be Blood" is not an action movie or a violent one (except for some scenes), and it's not for everybody - even though the story is very interesting, it can get pretty boring on the second half of the movie. Overall, I'd say it's a classic, whether this is good or bad, it's for the audience to say. 4/5
½ June 28, 2016
It is not an easy film to watch and I can't say that I enjoyed it. However on that note, Dainel Day Lewis gives an amazing performance and the tension and symbols throughout create a very unique film that is unlike any other.
½ June 27, 2016
There Will Be Blood is a poetic, powerful, and sprawling epic about the oil era in most of the 19th century. Daniel Day Lewis is great as Daniel Plainview, and here comes one of the issues I have with this film, it is that the acting of mostly all of the supporting characters is kind of awkward, and although Paul Dano was giving his best as Eli Sunday, his acting was not on par with Daniel Day Lewis's performance.The screenplay is something that should be merited also because of how masterful it is, and without a doubt the gorgeous cinematography by Robert Elswitt. Overall, There Will Be Blood is a masterpiece, although the film is in my eyes one of the strangest films I have seen.
½ June 27, 2016
This film begins in 1898 and carries us to the 1920s.  There Will Be Blood follows oil driller Daniel Plainview who started as a prospector and built his fortune in oil.  That is not enough for greedy Plainview and when he is informed by the estranged Sunday brother, Paul, he heads toward the motherload.  Religious zealot, Eli Sunday and Plainview clash instantly and their animosity toward one another make for some rather entertaining scenes and one shocking finale.  During the course of his drilling in Little Boston, Daniel's adopted son HW goes deaf during the first derrick accident which lends a pretty spectacular oil fire.  Daniel's "brother from another mother" shows up (yes he actually says that) and having difficulty adjusting to his hearing loss HW sets the cabin on fire.  This incident causes Daniel to send HW away.  Greed and pride continue to engulf Daniel Plainview and he comes under some fire for abandoning his son.  The father/son reunion would have been heartwarming if we believed Daniel was doing it for anything other than show.  The passage of time has made Daniel a very wealthy man but it hasn't made him a kind man, a decent man nor a flexible man.  When grown up HW married to Mary (her 1920s wedding gown was gasp worthy) tells his father he wants to drill down in Mexico, Daniel writes him off as now only competition telling him the truth about his orphan childhood.  It's difficult to watch.  In the end Daniel confronts the uber religious, Eli and no characters are any better for it.

I must say the acting in this film is amazing.  Both Daniel Day Lewis and Paul Dano bring two utterly unlikable characters to life and make you hate them.  I think the dangers of the oil drilling business are portrayed accurately here.  There were times when both Dex & I audibly gasped.  In every aspect Daniel Day Lewis IS Daniel Plainview from his dignified accent to his mannerisms.  This man is a phenomenal actor and I really hope he isn't overlooked.  The story is very character driven.  There isn't much action or dialogue; it mainly focuses on the characters.  This quote by Daniel himself probably best describes Plainview:
"I have a competition in me; I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people. There are times when I look at people and I see nothing worth liking. I've built up my hatreds over the years little by little. I see the worst in people. I don't need to look past seeing them to get all I need. I want to earn enough money I can get away from everyone."
I liked this flick.  It is very different from anything out now.  I'll let you decide whether or not you want to see it.
June 25, 2016
I was reminded of how much I liked this movie when I heard that Donald Trump was "born again". Probably much like the character Daniel Plainview in this movie and for the same reason...power.
June 21, 2016
PTA and Daniel Day Lewis team up to create an epic like never before that will be remembered as a masterpiece for years to come
June 21, 2016
When a ruthless oil prospector makes a deal with a small town pastor for rights to drill on his land, he unleashes all sorts of unforeseen problems that have devastating effects. This film really wasn't what I was expecting at all. It goes without saying that Daniel Day-Lewis is amazing as the manipulative businessman, Daniel Plainview but equally of note is Paul Dano as the manipulative and unhinged Eli Sunday. The two characters play a bizarre cat-and-mouse game scoring points and counterpoints on each other which makes for a fascinating and tense story. I genuinely had no idea how this would end and was surprised and a little shocked by the ending which came rather left of field. I had thought I was about to watch a sort of turn of the century Dallas. Instead I got something far more gothic and interesting. Well done to all involved.