There Will Be Blood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

There Will Be Blood Reviews

February 16, 2017
"I have a competition in me." There Will Be Blood is an incredibly compelling character drama from Paul Thomas Anderson. Loosely based on the Upton Sinclair novel Oil!, the story follows and oil prospector named Daniel Plainview who attempts to buy up a small California town and build a pipeline to the coast. Daniel Day-Lewis gives an amazingly captivating performance that makes the film. And Paul Thomas Anderson creates a very atmospheric setting with his minimalistic directing style. However, the film does tend to drag at times and goes off on tangents. And, Day-Lewis has such tremendous screen-presence that some of the other performances get overshadowed. Nevertheless, There Will Be Blood is a powerful film about corruption and greed.
½ February 8, 2017
I think... if the score werent what it was this movie would not have gotten even close to the amount of acclaim this got. It was a hard movie to watch, that was sad, and just nothing really positive to come from it.
February 1, 2017
Might as well be called American Dream: The Movie, and that is in no way a derogatory statement. An epic study on power and how it corrupts those it touches, nearly perfect in every way. This will go down as one of the seminal movies of our time.
½ January 31, 2017
There Will Be Blood is a gripping and well-crafted drama that is elevated by Daniel-Day Lewis and Paul Dano's committed performances, P.T. Anderson's assured direction, beautiful cinematography and a haunting score from Jonny Greenwood.
January 31, 2017
Simply a perfect movie. Acting, script, soundtrack, and cinematography all on point.
January 27, 2017
Glistened by Daniel Day-Lewis' flawless performance, the film undertakes a greed-driven story under the light of an oil-boom-era and turns it into an eerie sensation. There Will Be Blood is upheld by Paul Thomas' Anderson's masterful direction, disturbingly-powerful score and once again, Daniel's stroke of genius, which is still considered one of the actor's more recognizable pieces of work. 4/5
January 25, 2017
All I have to say is Daniel Day Lewis! This man once again just absolutely transforms into his character. He is not acting Lewis turns into Daniel Plainview. Paul Thomas Anderson does a great job at directing this slow burn epic. Paul Dano would be the second stand out of this film. Great performances from everybody in this beautiful film.
January 22, 2017
A near-perfect movie. Wow
January 21, 2017
A film with a strong cast, and intense moments that really doesn't overcome it's monotonous plot and score.
January 20, 2017
The best movie I've seen in a long, long time. Profound story of geniously created character Daniel Plainview stays in your head forever.
January 14, 2017
Not quite the masterpiece everyone makes it out to be, but still very good.
January 10, 2017
One of my favorite movies of all time, perfect acting and perfect directing.
January 4, 2017
Paul Thomas Anderson's has created yet another cinematic masterpiece with There Will Be Blood. His fourth and second best film follows the story of Daniel Plainview, brilliantly played by Daniel Day Lewis, a successful oil man trying to drill oil from land that he purchased from religious fanatic Eli, played by Paul Dano.
This film is great on so many levels! First of all it looks astonishing. It is a beautiful film for the eyes to look at. Secondly, the performances in this film are all oscar worthy. Daniel Day Lewis sold his character so well that I forgot that it was him halfway through the film. Also a great understated performance from Paul Dano. Lastly the story that is told is so simple and complex at the same time that it is mesmerizing, though provoking, and terrifying all at the same time.
There Will Be Blood is a great movie to PTA fans like myself. It has the same disturbing subtleties too it that draws the story to a sudden climax that both puzzles and shocks. If you do not like PTA movies you will more than likely not like this movie.
One of the most wonderful things about this film is how intense it is. Like many of PTA's films he uses a technique of eliminating all sound except for the dialogue and objects being used by those who are talking. And this adds an intensity that makes you pay attention because you are genuinely nervous I what will happen next.
In conclusion, There Will Be Blood is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. It has some of the best performances I've ever seen, a story that is enticing, and a score that fits the scenes so well and adds to the intenseness if the film.
January 3, 2017
Tremendous and astonishing! A towering cinematic achievement! Daniel Day-Lewis is THE consummate actor as Daniel Plainview! WOW!!! One of my Top-5 all-time favorite films. :D
½ December 7, 2016
Daniel Day Lewis' performance was incredibly overrated. The story was garbage. The score was haughty and obnoxious. No one was likable. I don't have many good things to say about this movie, save one -- it was barely good enough for me to keep watching. 5/10.
½ December 4, 2016
Excellent performance by Daniel D-Lewis. Left a little to be desired in pacing but overall excellent writing and dark atmosphere. Absolutely worth seeing.
December 2, 2016
Daniel Day-Lewis plays this role so well your eyes are glued to the screen with immense pleasure
November 28, 2016
Riveting as an atrocity. It juxtaposes a beautiful use of color and sound with its characters' utter brutality in a way that made me feel queasy and exhilarated.
½ November 4, 2016
There Will Be Blood is a masterpiece of filmmaking with beautiful cinematography, top notch performances and a unique, intriguing story even if it is a just a bit too long.
October 31, 2016
Up until this film, Anderson had been an extremely flashy director. Here he moves to a more restrained and classical style, letting this film be more about the actors and the characters than his usual style. He's rewarded with some astonishing performances, especially Lewis's lead performance. I think the standard line on this film that portrays Plainview as a monster is an oversimplification of what's actually on screen. Plainview is a deeply flawed man, but he is the protagonist of this film. The notion that he just uses his son H.W. as a puppet to sell himself isn't supported by what's in the film. Plainview does have human connections ... to his "son", his "brother", and to the people he does business with. That he loses them all due to his drive for success at all costs and ends up alone and mad marks the film as a genuine tragedy. That his final confrontation with the film's true villain, Eli Sunday, erupts in violence and the titular blood marks it as a cold, ruthless satire too. This is a roaring monster of a film.