There Will Be Blood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

There Will Be Blood Reviews

July 19, 2017
Six starz film! Timeless
July 17, 2017
Small towns and farmers shift from agriculture to oil in this tremendous gothic post-western as a man shot through with sourness builds a ruthless empire buying land (rights) from struggling farmers.
Everything is grist to his mill, exploiting any weakness and getting rid of every encumbrance ironically up close and personal.
Almost operatic in it realisation, I'd suggest a small intoxicant of your choice as a good way to appreciate the film, but do see it if you missed its theatre release.
July 17, 2017
Paul Thomas Anderson's 'There Will Be Blood' deservingly won 2 Oscars and was nominated for 6 more.

Daniel Day-Lewis was given an entire year to prepare for the role of Daniel Plainview and it shows. Even more incredible is the fact that Paul Dano was given just 4 days (!) to prepare for his breakout role as Eli Sunday after he was originally cast to just play the smaller part of Paul Sunday (the script was quickly re-written to make the brothers twins so that Dano could pull double duty).

While the Oscar for Day-Lewis' performance is a no-brainer, the other--for cinematography--is actually quite debatable. Sure, the Texas locations and landscapes were quite remarkable, but there were also plenty of times when the images on the screen were unnecessarily dark. I would've preferred if the film won the Oscar for best sound editing (for which it was indeed nominated) as the use of sound--including distinct moments of silence--heightened the overall viewing experience to an even greater degree.
July 16, 2017
Speaks volumes of the American experience, a truly mystifying and engaging masterpiece held in part by one of the best performance of all time, Day-Lewis as Plainview.
July 13, 2017
Is just PT Anderson's best work to date? Possibly the best independent movie ever made. Wonderfully provocative art walking a fine line between uncompromising character study, troll cinema, and emotionally detached historical piece. Not only understood the depths of narcissism and flaw of capitalism, but single-handedly reduced the "Serious Oscar Bait" category to mockery. Emotionally cathartic for every moviegoer who frets about the ills of the world but demands allegory for comfort's sake.

When I first saw Paul Thomas Anderson's There Will Be Blood, I was annoyed. Annoyed at the abrupt final act, and annoyed at Daniel Plainvew's life. Then I realized, about a day later, this was American filmmaking at its ballsiest. Daniel Plainview is a magnificent caricature of American values, and his 19th century industrialist disdain for human life, is somehow the perfect embodiment for 21st century selfishness. He is what we are, what we will become, and what we fear the most. The movie itself forces us to consider our own personal dichotomy of religion and faith (through the hypocritical Eli character) and materialism. Whichever you choose, you lose your soul.

What I Learned: I am embarrassed to admit that I really relate to Daniel Plainview. I know I shouldn't but I do. His lack of attachment to people, his burying himself in a profession that doesn't "love" anyone, and his mistrust of everything except what his own hands can reach was a terrifying vision of what a naturally anti-social person can easily turn into. In art and in life, I am always running from Daniel, the definitive peak of decadence that you never want to reach, as an artist who strives to inspire people for the betterment of humanity, and as a human being who must always love people more than life experience. Otherwise, everything is worthless.
June 26, 2017
Silver miner Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day-Lewis) leads a hardscrabble life with his son, H.W. (Dillon Freasier). When he hears about oil oozing from the ground near the Western town of Little Boston, Daniel takes his son on a mission to find their fortune. Daniel makes his lucky strike and becomes a self-made tycoon but, as his fortune grows, he deviates into moral bankruptcy.
June 26, 2017
My First Feature-Length Film Will Be Called ''True Crime''.
June 11, 2017
Film-making at its finest.
May 31, 2017
Paul Thomas Anderson's best work, There Will Be Blood is a modern classic of capitalism, Greed, Rage, and oil coming from Daniel Day-Lewis as well
½ May 1, 2017
This movie is one of those watch-one-time-only sort of movies. I say this because the main character that the story follows is so unlikeable and such a bastard that it's not fun to watch. The movie is not that pleasant to watch, is what I'm saying. Your not going to have a fun time watching this movie. This is for true movie lovers.

Nevertheless, this movie was really good and the acting and set pieces were on point. Would I watch it again? Mmm maybe not.
April 29, 2017
Exceptional movie; and as always Daniel Day-Lewis amazing; beautiful photograph
April 11, 2017
Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day-Lewis), a rags-to-riches oil miner whose psychopathic tendencies bound him not on what he is willing to do to get the upper hand in a relationship with another person, will live down as one of the most terrifyingly glamourized characters in movie/TV history, right up there with Travis Bickle and Walter White. And similar to Taxi Driver and Breaking Bad, director-writer Paul Thomas Anderson introduces the character as just another person who cares deeply about what he loves. Overtime, we dig deeper into their motivations, their relationship with the world, and discover a frightening, despicable person that we had first tried to love or admire. Plainview is a hero to the working class, starting from nothing and working his way to the top of the food chain. We want to root for him, because he represents everything we dream of becoming. Then we see how he handles his personal affairs, feigning compassion when it is means to the ends -- more money / power. Even in moments where it seems like he redeems himself for his selfish ways, there are signs of deceit, resentment, full-fledged disgust towards anything to do with other people. And again, much like Taxi Driver and Breaking Bad, P.T. Anderson does an excellent job in coordinating cinematography, lights, sound (good grief, does Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood know how to use an orchestra for crawling under your skin without indulging in full atonality), costumes, and makeup (the use of oil and mud to dehumanize characters in scenes is one of the film's greatest strokes of genius), all for the purpose of seeing the world through the eyes of Daniel Plainview. An additional round of applause for Paul Dano as Eli Sunday, a small-town church priest who bears little mercy for the sinners, but enough such that everyone has the chance to be saved. Day-Lewis and Dano each commit to characters whose beliefs are near polar opposite, yet have unnervingly similar psychopathic tendencies. Point being, there are no heroes in There Will Be Blood. Only people whose voices shout the loudest.
½ April 10, 2017
n actor nonpareil. His performance, the execution, and the screen play of There Will Be Blood are without spot or blemish. An artistic blessing. It fails as a gnomon. If it wishes to make love to the zeitgeist, the current and long-standing myth that self-built fortunes are at the loss of blood equal in value to the amassed plenitude, it has wasted great performances on a script already taught in public schools. Upton Sinclair wrote many anti-capitalist tomes including his most famous, The Jungle. All failed, as did his spiritual heir Bernie Sanders, to logically complete their task by failing to understand that economics involves factors allowing both parties to a transaction to profit.
½ April 4, 2017
The "rise and fall" archetype is often complimentary for gangster films. I wouldn't call "There Will Be Blood" a gangster movie. However, it was interesting how they implemented that archetype into this film. They did so with great results.

The rise of a miner named Daniel Plainview turned wealthy oilman is explored in this film from the years 1898 - 1927. The film shows how he becomes wealthy, and how he takes advantage of those around him in order to achieve his goals at all costs.

This movie is very depressing in many ways. After H.W.'s father dies in an accident when he's an infant, Daniel adopts him, and he pretends that he's his son. He uses him just so he can help him deceive the Sunday family more. Also, it's really hard to watch the scene where he becomes deaf in an accident. However, despite everything he experienced in the film, his character represents hope. He shows that even though Daniel used him as a ploy for better business and wealth, he is still able to break free of the chains he's held down with. Since he and Daniel Plainview are more educated than the Sunday family, he is easily able to see through all of it and know that what Daniel is doing is wrong.

After you think about the film a little bit, you start to realize how Daniel used every character he met in the film. After he becomes fed-up with H.W., he spares no time in finding an excuse to get rid of him by sending him to a school for deaf kids. He just works with his long-lost brother to keep deceiving his workers with the family image. If his brother leaves the film, he - only then - brings his son back. Daniel Plainview is a really memorable character, because he is able to expertly deceive those around him without them being able to notice nor do anything about it. At some points in the film, the viewer starts to be tricked into liking Daniel Plainview and it's very easy to forget about his true colors as a result.

The cinematography in this movie is excellent. The shots of the desert are gorgeous to look at, and the shots of the ranch feel atmospheric. Every shot makes you feel like you're actually in the time period this movie takes place in. One of the shots that the movie does very well is how it shows you how insignificant the characters are. It shows you a shot of a character. Then, the camera would move up to make it seem like they're in the middle of nowhere. This technique is best utilized in the beginning. After Daniel falls into a mine and breaks his leg, he has to climb out and crawl back to his fellow miners. A shot is pointed at him crawling on his back. Then, the camera moves up and shows us how much he has to trek back. This is a powerful shot, and it's good that they made this technique clear by utilizing it very well in the beginning. That way, the viewer would continue to be immersed every time they did this in the film.

The acting was really good. Daniel Day-Lewis as Daniel Plainview stole the show. He deserved that Oscar he won. Every single line he spoke was convincing. Near the beginning of the film, his voice continuously evoked a slight feeling of distrust. As he got more suspicious and as he made more enemies, his facial expressions gave the viewer a feeling that something bad was about to happen. The highlight of his performance was at the end of the film though. He gives reactions so convincing that they might as well by passed off as genuine. When he slowly goes insane, the viewer feels like the same is happening to them. I honestly can't decide who I liked more: Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men or Daniel Day-Lewis in this film. Both of them were about equally amazing. I liked most of the cast. They were pretty good. However, if I'd have to criticize one actor, it would have to be Paul Dano as Eli Sunday. His performance was good for the most part. However, I felt like he lost some of his believability during the scenes of him preaching at his church. He seemed a bit over-the-top in those scenes. Also, there were a few other parts in the film where when he was yelling, his voice got a bit high-pitched and that didn't fare too well with me. Overall, however, he gave a good performance. He just didn't balance out the impact that Daniel Day-Lewis left.

The soundtrack works very well in the movie. There are some songs which sound very haunting, and they do a very good job at representing the feelings of deception that the movie provides. An example of a really effective soundtrack comes in during the gas blowout scene. The striking minimalist soundtrack sets a feeling of urgency, and it makes the scene suspenseful as a result. While the soundtrack worked very well in the film, I found it a bit uninteresting and bland to listen to on my own. It was a soundtrack which was meant to be listened to in the movie. It was still pretty good, but I'm not going to be signing off on its praises anytime soon.

In conclusion, this was an amazing movie which was almost perfect. Daniel Plainview and the tension he had with other characters in the film was great and the cinematography was very well-done. For the most part, the acting was good and the soundtrack was still good despite its flaws. This movie is often compared to "No Country for Old Men" as the 2 were filmed in the same desert. I think that this was an amazing film. However, I liked "No Country for Old Men" a little more.
March 25, 2017
In my top 5. Epic, unforgettable. Daniel Day-Lewis' grim masterpiece.
March 21, 2017
PTA's Masterpiece. DDL best acting. Wonderful soundtrack.
March 14, 2017
The opening ten minutes are a comical observation of the misery oil miners put themselves through for the profit of oil. The shot of Daniel Plainview's hand covered in oil resonates with a common picture that would replace oil with blood; the title of this film has "Blood" in it to eerily forbade that there will be blood on this man's hand in the form of oil, liquid gold. The evil is blatant. Intercut this with the sincerity of a father, Daniel, one that we know is greedy, kidnapping this child for his own benefit to help grow an empire as his right-hand. Cut to years later, they are a successful capitalist family, the great Plainviews. The death of a worker had no bearing on Daniel's mission to conduct further oil business, his need to further profits extending to a town hall meeting, seeking approval, which he takes full control of.

He's shameless in his pursuit, no loyalty to anything else, nor true membership to a church. He's such an honest, smart capitalist that he fully knows the capitalism in others. When Eli reveals his desire to have more attention from his townsfolk, Daniel jokingly agrees to help, only to put Eli in his place by not actually fulfilling any obligation. The shot of Daniel walking up the steps out of focus while in the background, Eli stares disappointed in focus, is a perfect example of this. Eli is best captured in his natural setting: the church. It's shot through an atheistic lens as he manipulates the old woman to believe he's a great healer, a shameful sideshow proving his true capitalism. Daniel can confidently look upon churchgoers with absolute confidence in his power over them. He also knows Eli is just as interested in the liquid gold oil as anybody else.

Daniel takes absolute authority when he manipulates the Stephen's daughter to be his own because she gets hit by her father; he audaciously causes this scene right in front of the father.

How can one even speak of the beauty in the transition from daylight to the oil tower going up in flames with black smoke, transitioning this methodical scene into total darkness as the music carries us scene to scene? Anderson harkens to a Kubrick style of filmmaking - we sense the darkness in what humanity will endure for profit. A dark light hanging over Eli exemplifies this idea, and it speaks volumes. Or in his use of music, exemplified by a single string note playing over HW going deaf, Daniel trying to speak to him to no avail. And then Daniel's evil completes itself, perhaps too soon, when he abandons HW for being deaf and useless.

What lengths will Daniel Plainview go to? For the sake of good business ties to the town, he sincerely humiliates himself amongst the congregation, allowing Eli to baptize him. The comedy is so outlandish and absurd, yet truthful, again impressing the lengths men will go to for profit.

HW makes a surprise return two hours into the film, and like HW, we haven't forgive Daniel, yet we see him trying. We know why Daniel has brought HW back, and it's merely for his reputation. There's no love emitting from this cold man. How much madder does it get? He eventually tells HW the truth of his existence, revealing his shitty plan, degrading HW into absolute nothingness, a "bastard from a basket" who he used for his own image. This is about as purely rotten and soulless as it gets. The film delivers its expectation to take us from most cruel to most cruelest.

What I love most about this film is that I can never really say where it's going. Traveling through time to 1927, we see Daniel's upscale mansion, living amongst spoils and hoarding, sloppy, disorganized madness. It ends on an awkward yet poignant note, and it's all we need to wrap up the experience.
February 27, 2017
Among the best films ever made.
February 27, 2017
This brilliant analysis of the American dream boasts an eerie atmosphere thanks to a dark soundtrack and beautiful cinematography. The powerful direction gives much space to the stellar acting by Daniel Day-Lewis, who gives a performance for the ages as a ruthless, evil oilman. Paul Dano gives an incredible perfromance too, even if easily overshadowed by his co-star. An epic odissey that ranks as one of the best movies of the decade.
February 25, 2017
DD Lewis is exceptional and for once in a long time 'those folks' who hand out Oscars got it right. Arguably should have won Best Pic as well. Gripping story of man who always controlled his own destiny and took no prisoners keeping it firmly in his grasp. Brilliant!