There Will Be Blood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

There Will Be Blood Reviews

January 20, 2017
The best movie I've seen in a long, long time. Profound story of geniously created character Daniel Plainview stays in your head forever.
January 14, 2017
Not quite the masterpiece everyone makes it out to be, but still very good.
January 10, 2017
One of my favorite movies of all time, perfect acting and perfect directing.
January 4, 2017
Paul Thomas Anderson's has created yet another cinematic masterpiece with There Will Be Blood. His fourth and second best film follows the story of Daniel Plainview, brilliantly played by Daniel Day Lewis, a successful oil man trying to drill oil from land that he purchased from religious fanatic Eli, played by Paul Dano.
This film is great on so many levels! First of all it looks astonishing. It is a beautiful film for the eyes to look at. Secondly, the performances in this film are all oscar worthy. Daniel Day Lewis sold his character so well that I forgot that it was him halfway through the film. Also a great understated performance from Paul Dano. Lastly the story that is told is so simple and complex at the same time that it is mesmerizing, though provoking, and terrifying all at the same time.
There Will Be Blood is a great movie to PTA fans like myself. It has the same disturbing subtleties too it that draws the story to a sudden climax that both puzzles and shocks. If you do not like PTA movies you will more than likely not like this movie.
One of the most wonderful things about this film is how intense it is. Like many of PTA's films he uses a technique of eliminating all sound except for the dialogue and objects being used by those who are talking. And this adds an intensity that makes you pay attention because you are genuinely nervous I what will happen next.
In conclusion, There Will Be Blood is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. It has some of the best performances I've ever seen, a story that is enticing, and a score that fits the scenes so well and adds to the intenseness if the film.
January 3, 2017
Tremendous and astonishing! A towering cinematic achievement! Daniel Day-Lewis is THE consummate actor as Daniel Plainview! WOW!!! One of my Top-5 all-time favorite films. :D
½ December 7, 2016
Daniel Day Lewis' performance was incredibly overrated. The story was garbage. The score was haughty and obnoxious. No one was likable. I don't have many good things to say about this movie, save one -- it was barely good enough for me to keep watching. 5/10.
½ December 4, 2016
Excellent performance by Daniel D-Lewis. Left a little to be desired in pacing but overall excellent writing and dark atmosphere. Absolutely worth seeing.
December 2, 2016
Daniel Day-Lewis plays this role so well your eyes are glued to the screen with immense pleasure
November 28, 2016
Riveting as an atrocity. It juxtaposes a beautiful use of color and sound with its characters' utter brutality in a way that made me feel queasy and exhilarated.
½ November 4, 2016
There Will Be Blood is a masterpiece of filmmaking with beautiful cinematography, top notch performances and a unique, intriguing story even if it is a just a bit too long.
October 31, 2016
Up until this film, Anderson had been an extremely flashy director. Here he moves to a more restrained and classical style, letting this film be more about the actors and the characters than his usual style. He's rewarded with some astonishing performances, especially Lewis's lead performance. I think the standard line on this film that portrays Plainview as a monster is an oversimplification of what's actually on screen. Plainview is a deeply flawed man, but he is the protagonist of this film. The notion that he just uses his son H.W. as a puppet to sell himself isn't supported by what's in the film. Plainview does have human connections ... to his "son", his "brother", and to the people he does business with. That he loses them all due to his drive for success at all costs and ends up alone and mad marks the film as a genuine tragedy. That his final confrontation with the film's true villain, Eli Sunday, erupts in violence and the titular blood marks it as a cold, ruthless satire too. This is a roaring monster of a film.
October 28, 2016
A film that should be watched solely on DDL's phenomenal performance. The film gives us an unforgettable character and on top of that, a performance that is impossible to pass up.
½ October 22, 2016
Wow. Daniel Day-Lewis kills it in this film. Very original screenplay that takes you back to the oil drilling days and early 1900's. Very cool period to witness. Well shot and directed with an amazing score. Ran a bit long but great story nonetheless.
October 22, 2016
What the hell am I supposed to say about this movie? I don't even know how it was made. PT Anderson did it a again...well...so did DDL (but who really doubted him?).
October 21, 2016
it took me years to understand this movie but it is a masterpiece in every way. I'm surprised it only won two Oscars.
½ October 11, 2016
The combination of PTA and DDL leads to arguably the greatest portrayal, in cinematic history, of a tempestuous, flawed, and inevitably tragic hero.
October 2, 2016
9/10 Daniel day Lewis at his best
October 1, 2016
(update 10/1/16: This movie is flawless; old me didn't know what the fuck he was talking about) I found this movie to be severely overrated. Granted, Daniel Day Lewis does by far his best work ever, which is really saying something seeing how great he's always been. I loved the score to this movie as well, helped build up intensity when it needed to. And there were some pretty intense scenes as well, especially when they strike oil. But there were way too many unnecessary scenes as well, in my opinion. I don't care how long it was, that didn't bother me, but it seemed that there were some shots, lines and scenes that were simply put in there to make it a little longer and to seem a little more epic, which it's not. Too many times I was left wondering "What was the point of that scene we just saw?" DDL deserves nothing less than the Oscar he's been nominated for, but as far as Best Picture, I think you could replace this movie with The Assassination of Jesse James, in my opinion the best movie of 2007. Overall, this is a good movie, but not a great movie, as I had hoped for.
September 21, 2016
an absolute masterpiece
½ September 19, 2016
Ordinarily there are two types of movies that are extremely easy to talk about: ones I love, and ones I hate. Usually it's only the middling movies where I struggle to have the passion to articulate much about the experience. Well, There Will Be Blood is a film that I absolutely loved and by all rights I should be overflowing with words to describe why, yet I'm having trouble pinpointing what it was that made me so passionate about it. I think it's pretty obvious that one thing that makes it special is the stunning performance from Daniel Day-Lewis. There's so much depth to the character of Daniel Plainview that I never knew what to expect next. It felt like at any moment he could reach across a table and stab the person he's talking to in the neck, or just as easily embrace them with an insincere hug. The plot of the film perfectly shows how passion and determination shaped this character, and how he could either have great success or great failure because of his pride. At first I was put off by Paul Dano in the role of the young pastor who makes Daniel's life more difficult. But, as the film progressed, I saw how his baby-face and grating personality would be perfect for someone who stands in Daniel's way.

So many of the moments in There Will Be Blood are the kind of things that I would ordinarily hate. It is slow-moving and long, the plot is not unique or complex, and most of the characters are completely unlikable. Yet I was absolutely mesmerized by this film. The cinematography was perfect, the music set a great tone, the dialogue was sparse but always meaningful, and so much was going on in the characters' heads even when no words were spoken. The ending might be one of the most intense and unexpected ways to conclude a film that I can imagine. Even though I have heard certain lines of dialogue from that scene before, I didn't realize the context and they mean nothing until you hear them delivered by Daniel Day-Lewis. When it was done all I wanted was to know what happened next. They left me wanting more, and yet also resolved everything that the film had been building towards. I think all movie fans should give There Will Be Blood a chance. It is a movie that resonated with me in ways I never would have expected, and in my opinion it probably should have won against The Departed for Best Picture.