This Is 40 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

This Is 40 Reviews

March 24, 2019
Sometimes you want a movie that's like a big old bucket of buttered popcorn. This movie has its place, folks.
½ March 23, 2019
I always enjoy Judd Apatow's comedies. I feel the way he uses raunchy humor to tell authentic and realistic stories is always a lot of fun. While "This Is 40" is definitely one of his weaker films, it is still one I enjoyed. I remember that Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann portrayed memorable side characters in the outstanding and immensely rewatchable "Knocked Up" that this movie technically follows. While it was certainly a unique concept to make them the center of this new story, I just didn't think they were always the most interesting characters. I felt that these two characters always are fighting about the same thing, which can make the movie feel repetitive at times. However, I appreciated how this movie portrayed a middle-aged married couple and thought it felt very authentic. It's a movie that was pretty funny but there definitely is more of a dramatic side in this one, which won't sit well with people who expect a nonstop comedy. However, the story ultimately has solid characters, comedy, and dramatic conflict that made for an entertaining movie, even if it isn't among Apatow's best.
March 18, 2019
This Is 40 is a disappointing film. It is Pete and Debbie who are both about to turn 40. Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann give horrible performances. The script is badly written. Judd Apatow did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
February 16, 2019
This is 40 minutes longer than it should have been, and, this is boring.
January 20, 2019
Very few laughs in this film. It just drags on and on with very weak humour.
January 3, 2019
Movies like this doesn't offer any good lessons on couple therapy
December 3, 2018
I actually loved this film! I laughed so hard I farted!
November 5, 2018
This is one of my favorite movies! I love Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann. This movie is relatable for families that are in their 40s as well with kids. Entertaining and follows up with the movie Knocked Up.
½ August 2, 2018
This film is dreadfully boring. You hardly care for any of the characters. And Albert Brooks. Really? His character is pathetic as his acting. What a waste.
August 1, 2018
Spin-Off di "Molto incinta" sempre diretto da Judd Apatow. 2 ore buttate, veramente brutto, non mi è piaciuto per niente. Mi ha strappato qualche risata nella parte iniziale del film ma poi si perde e diventa pesante, almeno per me, cosa che non dovrebbe succedere in una commedia. Alcuni personaggi li ho trovati fastidiosi, come Sadie e Oliver (il padre di Debbie), e uno in particolare avrei voluto venisse schiacciato da un meteorite, ovvero il padre di Pete, Larry. Peccato perché Paul Rudd e Leslie Mann mi piacciono. Brutto, davvero.
June 18, 2018
**INCLUDES SPOILERS**

Judd Apatow has represented my generation perfectly for the past decade or more with gems like "The 40 Year-Old Virgin," "Knocked Up" and the underrated "Funny People." The trailers for "This is 40" appeared to be leading him to another notch in his belt as he hits the mark more often than not, even if represented in outrageous or vulgar ways. Unfortunately, "This is 40" misses the mark in the most surprising of ways for a Judd Apatow movie. As a man who turned 40 this year, I spent the first half of the movie relating to just about every aspect of the setup with this couple. Stress of raising kids. Grandparents you need to financially support. Grandparents who are absent. Stress of keeping a relevant job. Providing for a family of 4. Trying to keep the romance alive and looking toward life together after the kids are gone. The unfortunate realities of getting older and how a couple leans on each other through that emotional and physical change. I was extremely impressed, even when I wasn't laughing as much as I would in a Judd Apatow movie.

Then something happened. The movie got much funnier, yet the amount of things that piled onto this one couple turning 40 crossed the line into absurdity. The realism masked by comedy became a Keystone Kops routine. After all of these common 40-isms, Leslie Mann gets pregnant. In words, that may not seem like much, but while watching the movie, the viewer immediately thought, "ok, PLEASE...this is too much to happen to ONE couple." What bothered me most about it is that what is typical in Judd Apatow movies is that the protagonist usually shares experiences with a cast of others that he bounces things off of in order to move forward. It seems real that one would reach out to friends, family, etc when dealing with emotional and physical changes, so it seems like an easy fix would have been to have most of the things happen to the main couple, but when a baby was thrown into the mix, it seemed forcibly piled on. Why not have other 40-something couples/friends who would go through one of the major 40-isms? Share the wealth. It is a lot more natural to have many 40-somethings go through similar experiences and can discuss them, yet MAJOR things happen to one person here, one couple there. I know, as a 40-something, every single possible event that could impact the happy embrace of turning 40 doesn't happen to a SOLE couple or person. There are some things we share, but then there are some things my wife and I will discuss and say, "Wow...I can't believe that happened to them! OMG, we are SO lucky that hasn't happened to us." That seemed more realistic.

As a result, the structure got clumsier and clumsier over the latter half of the film until it just...ended. Like a story for which he couldn't determine an ending. Very un-Apatow like.

That being said, I enjoyed the film, the dialogue, most of the situations and the characters. The story was just severely damaged toward the end. It's worth seeing, but I'd discourage paying full price.
½ March 22, 2018
I loved this movie! Leslie Mann and Paul Rudd are hilarious and the kids do a great job!
March 17, 2018
I don't know why people don't love this movie, because it's so amazing and it has totally had an effect on my life.
March 3, 2018
Eh, apart from the heartfelt ending, I didn't really care for it much honestly. I get its meant to just be an experience piece of living as a 40 year old but to me it just felt like its trying to be one of those awkwardly funny yet disjoined and aimless self-indulgent comedies.
½ March 1, 2018
Extremely long and extremely boring
February 14, 2018
Funny. American middle class without psychosis.
December 1, 2017
Enjoyably relatable and of course not very funny educational film about getting old.
½ November 21, 2017
Love the movie. Usually only watch 2/3 and stop right around the birthday scene when it switches from comedy to serious.
½ September 25, 2017
Some funny moments but mainly just boring
September 8, 2017
Unable to finish this. I get that humor is subjective but poor pacing is not. Neither is the terrible delivery of lines. Or the walking plot conveniences that are supposed to pass for characters in this movie.