This is 40 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

This is 40 Reviews

December 1, 2017
Enjoyably relatable and of course not very funny educational film about getting old.
½ November 21, 2017
Love the movie. Usually only watch 2/3 and stop right around the birthday scene when it switches from comedy to serious.
½ September 25, 2017
Some funny moments but mainly just boring
September 8, 2017
Unable to finish this. I get that humor is subjective but poor pacing is not. Neither is the terrible delivery of lines. Or the walking plot conveniences that are supposed to pass for characters in this movie.
August 1, 2017
Megan Fox went totally unnoticed.
July 31, 2017
Not as good as knocked up, but still good.
½ July 8, 2017
Most Judd Apatow movies stop being good about the last 1/3 or 1/4. This one never started. It does have a few funny parts, but I was ready for it to be over.
May 21, 2017
Comedy? What's funny about a bunch of obnoxious, intolerant, foul-mouthed people (including children) verbally abusing each other? Remember "The Producers" and "Some Like It Hot"? Now they were comedies!
May 18, 2017
Oh my goodness, Judd what did you do?! This movie had me cringing more than laughing. Deb and Pete were the worst part of Knocked Up and Apatow did a spinoff on them! Why Judd Why! Also, those kids were both brats! Maude and Iris are cool kids but those characters were gosh awful! This is 40 should of been called This is Judd Apatow's Lowest Point. 2 out of 5 stars
½ April 27, 2017
I understand why people would think this is an aimless movie, but I really don't think this kind of story needs a typical 3 act structure, its just this couple living their life.
March 27, 2017
By the end, I really didn't care what happened to any of the characters in this movie. That's 2 hours of my 40s that I'll never get back...
March 24, 2017
Yep yep, it's that rude Apatow humor. Loved it!
March 6, 2017
unpleasant tiresome whiners, boring, way too long, not funny, boring. Every character in it is an arsehole.
½ March 5, 2017
I definitely liked this movie - I thought it was funny and very human. It wasn't an exact counterpart to Knocked Up, but Leslie Mann and Paul Rudd were able to carry it just as well.
February 27, 2017
Hidden gem of a movie! Really Really Funny!
January 28, 2017
The characters in this movie are pathetic and unlikeable. The exact opposite of what makes a light hearted comedy work. This movie does nothing to demand your attention.
January 14, 2017
The movie is funny :D, but don't pay money for see it.
January 14, 2017
This is 40 is directed and written by Judd Apatow, and it stars Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann in a comedy about a couple that turned 40, and they are starting to deal with issues whether it be the age, financial problems, and their own relationship. When seeing Knocked Up of how hilarious that was, I was looking forward to go back to this that's a spinoff to that, and while it's still a funny movie, it's not as funny as when I first saw this. The acting is good, Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann work together pretty great and they give off some funny moments. The way they give off some point of views from sides of the family that's relatable shows that Judd Apatow understands how marriage usually works, whether it be good or horrible. It gets uncomfortable in parts when they start to have an argument, especially in the second half, it gets really uncomfortable to watch and makes you feel like you shouldn't be in this situation, but in a way, makes it feel relatable also because marriage couples have been in that. It's has tons of jokes that are funny, but then there are some jokes that didn't made me groan, but it was just dead on arrival for me and wasn't that funny. There's also the fact that the movie is 133 minutes long, and it feels like it which is irritating because I should've been fine with that as it'll give in to some jokes that I'll enjoy, but then there were some scenes that absolutely went nowhere and brought nothing to this, and the drama starts kicking in the second half where you're not quite enjoying it as much as the first half. Overall, This is 40 is a good movie that is very uneven and is Judd Apatow's weakest film so far, but the acting, comedy, and the perspective things in there got me to say that it's a watchable film at best.
½ November 20, 2016
This Is 40 is not good, not bad and a smidge too long but gives a probably honest portrayal of what it's like to balance a family, marriage, your job, and other aspects of someone's life, which was refreshing.