This Is Spinal Tap - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

This Is Spinal Tap Reviews

June 18, 2018
A mockumentary - Excuse me: ROCK-umentary - that every musician must see once before they die.
June 13, 2018
gentle yet insulting..

This Is Spinal Tap

An idea or a concept isn't everything and this is a fine example for it, as the brilliant idea of it fades away quickly as it derails off the track and becomes something entirely different than what was promised or even more embarrassingly what was right. The writing is funny and brilliant, but fails to keep it true to its nature and fumbles its way down the road. There are few hilarious sequences installed in here that one cannot not get lost into it. Another major dilemma in here is that the priority in here is nothing but the punch line of the joke which is kept above the bigger picture in here and fails to make a definite point out of it. The performance is promising and hilarious at the same time, as they draw plenty of laughs from the screen. Rob Reiner; the director, is bang on the money on his execution skills and is convincing throughout the course of it. The music bits of the feature may come off, off putting and uneven in here. This Is Spinal Tap is a gentle yet insulting tap on the back in its self-created genre as it fails provide the essential ingredients to it and leaves it undercooked.
May 28, 2018
One of the funniest movies ever made.
May 25, 2018
The 5/5 is for any comedy that can make me cry laughing....and in 1984 this movie had me split a gut at least 3 or 4 times. In 2011, it's just been too many decades of saying turn it up to 11.
May 7, 2018
Genius, original, clever comedy is one of the funniest ever made. It's even more enjoyable for musicians.
April 22, 2018
This movie is a true cult classic some people will like it, some will love it, and some will hate it. I found the film really funny and great how serious the band is even with the jokes going on I like the film though I didn't love it. It's still better than 90% of the crap out there. You can't go into a film like this expecting The Dark Knight Rises this film is to be looked at scene by scene and you need to notice the little things to get all the humor. The film has been rated as one of the funniest films of all time so it's definitely worth a watch.
½ February 23, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
November 23, 2017
The tippy top of the mockumentary, still holds up well to this day almost 25 years later. Full of great performances.
October 17, 2017
I don't know. I wish I liked this stuff more. It's one of those things where I can see the joke they are going for and it seems worthy, but I get very few laughs. Nice try but ultimately it falls flat. 4.7 out of 10
½ October 16, 2017
This mockumentary is a cult classic not just because it's funny but because it is so accurate in all its goofiness that it could have been a real thing.
October 5, 2017
10 out of 10:

This is Spinal Tap feels just like a documentary with its filming and editing, and it?s also a very funny and well acted.
September 11, 2017
I laughed all the way through and I loved the way it satirizes the pretentious behavior of rock stars and the common tropes that are found in rock music. "This Is Spinal Tap" is a classic mockumentary film.
September 10, 2017
Ozzy Qsbourne thought this was a real documentary , that says it all really . A brilliant movie that is closer to the truth than a comedy should be
½ July 24, 2017
3 1/2 out of 5 stars. This was a silly movie. Had some really funny parts and was music centered which i love. It dragged a bit though and the British humor didn't always hit for me.
½ July 22, 2017
This Is Spinal Tap is nothing short of comedy GOLD. It will probably hold the title of the best mock-rockumentary ever made into eternity. Great characters, dying drummers and 18 inch model of Stonehenge. The satire and slapstick hits almost every single time. The direction is masterful; clearly a lot of time and laughs were spent observing the actions of real, laughably egocentric self-proclaimed 'rock gods'. They clearly had great fun making this film, and it's a lot of fun for the audience too. You won't be disappointed; this film delivers.
July 15, 2017
I have limited experience with mockumentaries but it seems I enjoy them to some extent, but their dry humor tends to only elicit chuckles from me instead of big laughs. This is Spinal Tap was basically the same. It was definitely funny, and I enjoyed the humor, but my face wasn't exactly hurting from all the laughter. It's written very well, and it manages to poke fun at bands like this while simultaneously feeling strangely authentic.

A huge part of the success of This is Spinal Tap has to be credited to the cast. Michael McKean and Christopher Guest are the leads of the band (and the movie). They have a great report between them. I like watching their slow descent from pride to frustration as the movie progresses. I also love basically every single thing Harry Shearer does as an extra comedic wild-card in the film. I was very impressed with all their fake English accents too.

The music was extremely well-written. There were a few different styles throughout the film, and it all worked. They had some crazy lyrics, and I found some of those moments on stage to be the funniest. The elaborate sets and the problems they had with them was icing on the cake. I kind of felt like This is Spinal Tap might be a movie that would be better watched with a group of people laughing together. I did enjoy it on my own, but I feel like I'm missing a little something that would make me LOVE it.
July 11, 2017
one of the funniest and most quotable movies you'll ever see.
½ May 29, 2017
Hilariously on point.
May 27, 2017
As a mockumentary, This Is Spinal Tap goes to eleven.
May 20, 2017
This is Spinal is a hilarious mockumentary about the fictional heavy metal band "Spinal Tap." Serious music fans will love this! Musicians can relate to some of the gags. Make sure you watch the Hellhole video and Heavy Metal memories.