This Is Spinal Tap - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

This Is Spinal Tap Reviews

November 26, 2016
Never too late to catch up on the best rockumentary in history. It says it all about the story of their struggle being a once-famous and soon forgotten rock band. Almost real and years later after its being made, This Is Spinal Tap remains to be a legend and points of references.
½ October 15, 2016
I think i am a little young to fully appreciate this. I missed the whole mid to late 80's hair metal thing.
½ October 10, 2016
Rob Reiner and Spinal Tap have succeeded in creating a totally realistic and believable mockumentary, and at the same time a very funny one. The acting and dialogues are great in a film that feels like a parody of but also a tribute to the big rock and metal acts of the '80s. Paired with Spinal Tap's hilarious original songs, "This Is Spinal Tap" is a very enjoyable cult phenomenon, significant for both cinema and music.
August 30, 2016
I honestly had no idea of what to expect with THIS IS SPINAL TAP, with the exception of a couple of bits that have entered the pop culture lexicon (the Marshall amp bit, for instance). What I got was...ok, I guess? It wasn't exactly a laugh-riot, but there were a number of recurring funny bits. Still, there were too many stretches that I didn't find funny at all. Fortunately, the songs were well-written and performed. Otherwise, I would have been mostly bored. Overall, it was a mixed bag in terms of comedy, although it did have a few amusing insights into the over-the-top-ness of rock bands. Maybe it would have been funnier if I'd been born 20 years earlier.
½ August 29, 2016
While being possibly slightly dated in comparison to recent comedies, This Is Spinal Tap is nonetheless extremely funny and an excellent parody of rock bands during the eighties. Possibly not to the same strength as the later entry, however is far more quotable when we look back at it.
Verdict: B+
½ August 1, 2016
This is Spinal Tap is directed and co-written by Rob Reiner, and it stars Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, Harry Shearer, and Rob Reiner in a rock music mockumentary comedy about a documentary of a fictional rock group called Spinal Tap. When my friend and I saw this in the city library, we rented it and others, and watched this, hoping it'll be good as this has high praise from critics and audience reviews. By the end of it however, we just didn't get how it got so high because we honestly thought that it wasn't a good movie, and my friend is more of a rock fan than I am. There were some parts that I agree with them like the acting being really genuine that it without knowing the film being a mockumentary, it would've fooled us. The way it was shot is like a documentary, and there were some funny moments in there that I noticed, but other then that, with some addition of songs that are not that bad, that's all I can give to this film that's positive. I didn't find it that funny, it wasn't really that interesting to me, and I just didn't care about the characters in this movie. I know this has a fan base, and people say that this is the best mockumentary of all time, and I just don't see it, at least with a film like Citizen Kane I can see why people think it's the best film of all time, even if I didn't think so, or even think it's a great film, I can see at the time about the achievements that it got, this one, I don't. I'm glad it did well with a cult following and made careers for both Rob Reiner and Christopher Guest, but for me, This is Spinal Tap is not for me, and I'll probably never get it I guess.
July 24, 2016
One of the funniest movies of all time. A great parody of 80s rock bands! I would give this 11 stars if Marshall Amps would let me.
July 22, 2016
The mother of all mockumentaries. Spinal Tap could easily be any number of 70s rock bands, struggling with waning audience interest, high levels of pretension, and a fair amount of self-delusion. Real life rockers actually admit to not enjoying this movie "because it hits too close to home".
½ July 14, 2016
This was good, I didn't love it though, definitely quotable and funny moments sprinkled in, but I felt like this had trouble know what it was
June 11, 2016
Not incredibly funny, but still good for quite a few laughs.
½ June 5, 2016
91%
Familiar but riotously funny, This Is Spinal Tap is a refreshing take on rock and roll, and mockumentaries in general.

V: 81%
½ May 22, 2016
160522: I know people who rave over this film. Myself, I have never really appreciated it...until now. Seems this film grows on me each time, especially when I compare Spinal Tap it to all the bands I listened to in the 70s, 80s, and 90s that are still, amazingly, touring. Just recently saw one of those bands, Iron Maiden, and can't help but seem them throughout this film. Spinal Tap may not make me laugh out loud but it does make me smirk subtly...often. Well worth watching and some added fun in the cameos, extra features.
May 20, 2016
A near perfect film. Having listened to a recent interview with Rob Reiner the appeal of this is only stronger. The fact that it's mostly ad-libbed and still brilliant parody is A+.
April 26, 2016
Rob Reiner's directorial debut is one of the funniest movies of the 1980's and it oddly enough summed up hard rock/heavy metal's popularity in a mocking manner. "This is Spinal Tap" is about a fictional band named Spinal Tap, a band with the distinction of being called "The World's Loudest Band." A band that loses most of their drummers to strange mishaps including one who choked on someone else's vomit. A band that really never had a hit but follows whatever is popular at the moment. They started out in the skiffle craze that swept Britain before becoming a rock and roll band, then psychedelia and settling on heavy metal where they sort of stuck in that genre for over a decade.
At the core of this story is the three main band members, David St. Hubbins (Michael McKean), Nigel Tufnel (Christopher Guest) and Derek Smalls (Harry Shearer). David and Nigel are like brothers but when David's girlfriend Jenny (June Chadwick) it causes a lot of tension among the bandmembers. They are attempting a comeback tour and filmmaker Marty DiBergi (Rob Reiner) is there to film this tour and the chaos and comedy that ensures.
It's a film that is so absurd, so fun and so enjoyable to watch that one can't even fathom this may not be a real band. Their songs are good, albeit offensive at times.
March 20, 2016
The greatest rockumentary I have ever seen. Mixing satire on the Rock and Roll lifestyle with amazing comedic moments, this movie does not disappoint.
½ March 14, 2016
More of a "mockumentary" than a "rockumentary". As a matter of fact, this is one of the finest examples of the genre. Rob Reiner (aka "Meathead" from All In The Family fame) directed and co-wrote this film after being inspired by a predecessor, "The Rutles".

I would like the give this film a higher rating but simply has not held up that well over time. It is a parody of a typical 70s British heavy metal band. The film has developed a cult status, and many of its lines are recited by fans over the years.

The comedy is sedate, and makes one think about the rock business of that era. Like a Monty Python film, one must pay attention to every line to understand a lot of the intelligent satire. The film can easily be digested over multiple viewings and I'm sure fans have all seen it more than once.

The film actually deserves 8.5/10 stars, because for me, it teeters between being an exceptional movie vs a very good one.
January 28, 2016
A comedic masterpiece.

A documentary producer/director, Marty DiBergi, follows the hard-rock band Spinal Tap around on their reunion tour of the US. This is the outcome: a rock documentary - a rockumentary. Through interviews of the band he covers their history and creative processes, and captures some of their behind-the-scenes interactions. He also films some of their concerts and music. There's a reason they're not that well known...

One of the funniest movies ever made. A great spoof of rock music, and the music industry in general. Just about every scene and line is iconic and quotable (eg "Our amps go up to eleven", the saga of the drummers).

Very relatable too, especially to anyone who follows rock music. So many scenes that remind you just how superficial, pretentious and sometimes plain stupid rock musicians can be. Cringingly close to reality at times.

Brilliant beyond description. So good this movie created a genre - the mockumentary.
January 26, 2016
Funny from start to end and with a story that is both believable and awesome, This Is Spinal Tap is an amazingly crafted mockumentary for the ages and a film that documents and spoof the rock n roll lifestyle in a funny and fairly accurate way in its own right.
January 24, 2016
absolutely hilarious in a very subtle way.
January 10, 2016
If I watch a film where a certain accent present throughout the movie, I tend to speak like that for the rest of the day. But after watching 'This Is Spinal Tap' I'm literally writing in British. This film's sense of humour is very different than the humour we are used to seeing in film's today. The jokes are so dumb but it has such a clever side to them as well. Think of the humour from films like Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead in a documentary style film which makes for some very memorable quotes. "The only question left is, how much more black could this be and the answer is... well... none!" A very funny film. Nuff said.