This Is Spinal Tap - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

This Is Spinal Tap Reviews

½ April 19, 2017
I know it's a classic and I must say I did find it very funny in some places, even though I came out only mildly satisfied. A very well written film that people will be quoting for a long time, but I can't say I full heartedly recommend it.
½ March 31, 2017
Funny rock comedy mocking 80s hair bAnds and their catchy but hollow music. Def made me chuckle through out. Well made and close to accurate mockumentary. Does remind me a bit of the Office, but not quite as funny.
March 20, 2017
A classic that holds up in almost every way.
½ March 6, 2017
Terrible, unfunny movie. Sat there watching and waiting for the funny, and it never arrived.
½ March 2, 2017
This is Spinal Tap (1984) C-83m. ??? D: Rob Reiner. Rob Reiner, Michael McKean, Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer, Tony Hendra, R.J. Parnell. One-of-a-kind parody of a rock documentary with Reiner as Marty DiBergi, filmmaker recording a concert tour of the most incompetent heavy metal band that ever made a return to the stage. Machiavellian and often very funny, with now-legendary scene with the amplifier that goes to "11".
March 2, 2017
this film is the best i have ever seen. the was only a small issue which is that their British accents were not that great.
February 1, 2017
About as perfect a comedy as movies can get.
½ January 15, 2017
one of my all time favorite comedy
January 9, 2017
Hilarious, original and classic. No mockumentary will ever be quite as good as this masterpiece.
January 7, 2017
Very funny. Still humming Big Bottom.
January 5, 2017
Clever classic comedy.
December 24, 2016
A hilarious and delicious mockumentary that features numerous memorable, well-inspired moments and works so well mostly because of its intelligent, ironic sense of humor as it pokes fun at the rock 'n' roll universe (the stars and the fans) in a very lighthearted way.
½ December 19, 2016
Finally got around to watching this. I unfortunately knew most of the funny lines already and it seemed dated and .. well... stupid. I suppose it was an interesting in its day.
November 26, 2016
Never too late to catch up on the best rockumentary in history. It says it all about the story of their struggle being a once-famous and soon forgotten rock band. Almost real and years later after its being made, This Is Spinal Tap remains to be a legend and points of references.
½ October 15, 2016
I think i am a little young to fully appreciate this. I missed the whole mid to late 80's hair metal thing.
½ October 10, 2016
Rob Reiner and Spinal Tap have succeeded in creating a totally realistic and believable mockumentary, and at the same time a very funny one. The acting and dialogues are great in a film that feels like a parody of but also a tribute to the big rock and metal acts of the '80s. Paired with Spinal Tap's hilarious original songs, "This Is Spinal Tap" is a very enjoyable cult phenomenon, significant for both cinema and music.
August 30, 2016
I honestly had no idea of what to expect with THIS IS SPINAL TAP, with the exception of a couple of bits that have entered the pop culture lexicon (the Marshall amp bit, for instance). What I got was...ok, I guess? It wasn't exactly a laugh-riot, but there were a number of recurring funny bits. Still, there were too many stretches that I didn't find funny at all. Fortunately, the songs were well-written and performed. Otherwise, I would have been mostly bored. Overall, it was a mixed bag in terms of comedy, although it did have a few amusing insights into the over-the-top-ness of rock bands. Maybe it would have been funnier if I'd been born 20 years earlier.
½ August 29, 2016
While being possibly slightly dated in comparison to recent comedies, This Is Spinal Tap is nonetheless extremely funny and an excellent parody of rock bands during the eighties. Possibly not to the same strength as the later entry, however is far more quotable when we look back at it.
Verdict: B+
½ August 1, 2016
This is Spinal Tap is directed and co-written by Rob Reiner, and it stars Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, Harry Shearer, and Rob Reiner in a rock music mockumentary comedy about a documentary of a fictional rock group called Spinal Tap. When my friend and I saw this in the city library, we rented it and others, and watched this, hoping it'll be good as this has high praise from critics and audience reviews. By the end of it however, we just didn't get how it got so high because we honestly thought that it wasn't a good movie, and my friend is more of a rock fan than I am. There were some parts that I agree with them like the acting being really genuine that it without knowing the film being a mockumentary, it would've fooled us. The way it was shot is like a documentary, and there were some funny moments in there that I noticed, but other then that, with some addition of songs that are not that bad, that's all I can give to this film that's positive. I didn't find it that funny, it wasn't really that interesting to me, and I just didn't care about the characters in this movie. I know this has a fan base, and people say that this is the best mockumentary of all time, and I just don't see it, at least with a film like Citizen Kane I can see why people think it's the best film of all time, even if I didn't think so, or even think it's a great film, I can see at the time about the achievements that it got, this one, I don't. I'm glad it did well with a cult following and made careers for both Rob Reiner and Christopher Guest, but for me, This is Spinal Tap is not for me, and I'll probably never get it I guess.
July 24, 2016
One of the funniest movies of all time. A great parody of 80s rock bands! I would give this 11 stars if Marshall Amps would let me.