This Is Spinal Tap - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

This Is Spinal Tap Reviews

November 23, 2017
The tippy top of the mockumentary, still holds up well to this day almost 25 years later. Full of great performances.
October 17, 2017
I don't know. I wish I liked this stuff more. It's one of those things where I can see the joke they are going for and it seems worthy, but I get very few laughs. Nice try but ultimately it falls flat. 4.7 out of 10
½ October 16, 2017
This mockumentary is a cult classic not just because it's funny but because it is so accurate in all its goofiness that it could have been a real thing.
October 5, 2017
10 out of 10:

This is Spinal Tap feels just like a documentary with its filming and editing, and it?s also a very funny and well acted.
September 11, 2017
I laughed all the way through and I loved the way it satirizes the pretentious behavior of rock stars and the common tropes that are found in rock music. "This Is Spinal Tap" is a classic mockumentary film.
September 10, 2017
Ozzy Qsbourne thought this was a real documentary , that says it all really . A brilliant movie that is closer to the truth than a comedy should be
½ July 24, 2017
3 1/2 out of 5 stars. This was a silly movie. Had some really funny parts and was music centered which i love. It dragged a bit though and the British humor didn't always hit for me.
½ July 22, 2017
This Is Spinal Tap is nothing short of comedy GOLD. It will probably hold the title of the best mock-rockumentary ever made into eternity. Great characters, dying drummers and 18 inch model of Stonehenge. The satire and slapstick hits almost every single time. The direction is masterful; clearly a lot of time and laughs were spent observing the actions of real, laughably egocentric self-proclaimed 'rock gods'. They clearly had great fun making this film, and it's a lot of fun for the audience too. You won't be disappointed; this film delivers.
July 15, 2017
I have limited experience with mockumentaries but it seems I enjoy them to some extent, but their dry humor tends to only elicit chuckles from me instead of big laughs. This is Spinal Tap was basically the same. It was definitely funny, and I enjoyed the humor, but my face wasn't exactly hurting from all the laughter. It's written very well, and it manages to poke fun at bands like this while simultaneously feeling strangely authentic.

A huge part of the success of This is Spinal Tap has to be credited to the cast. Michael McKean and Christopher Guest are the leads of the band (and the movie). They have a great report between them. I like watching their slow descent from pride to frustration as the movie progresses. I also love basically every single thing Harry Shearer does as an extra comedic wild-card in the film. I was very impressed with all their fake English accents too.

The music was extremely well-written. There were a few different styles throughout the film, and it all worked. They had some crazy lyrics, and I found some of those moments on stage to be the funniest. The elaborate sets and the problems they had with them was icing on the cake. I kind of felt like This is Spinal Tap might be a movie that would be better watched with a group of people laughing together. I did enjoy it on my own, but I feel like I'm missing a little something that would make me LOVE it.
July 11, 2017
one of the funniest and most quotable movies you'll ever see.
½ May 29, 2017
Hilariously on point.
May 27, 2017
As a mockumentary, This Is Spinal Tap goes to eleven.
May 20, 2017
This is Spinal is a hilarious mockumentary about the fictional heavy metal band "Spinal Tap." Serious music fans will love this! Musicians can relate to some of the gags. Make sure you watch the Hellhole video and Heavy Metal memories.
½ May 9, 2017
I will never think of Stonehenge the same way again.
May 4, 2017
Awesome movie. One of the first of its kind, this film introduced the world to the music mockumentary, and did so skillfully with stellar writing and direction from Reiner, as well as phenomenal performances from its three leads, wonderfully satirizing the hair band scene from the '70s and '80s.
April 30, 2017
You can't dust for vomit, that's all i'm gonna say.
April 26, 2017
A charming film that's inoffensive, very funny
½ April 19, 2017
I know it's a classic and I must say I did find it very funny in some places, even though I came out only mildly satisfied. A very well written film that people will be quoting for a long time, but I can't say I full heartedly recommend it.
½ March 31, 2017
Funny rock comedy mocking 80s hair bAnds and their catchy but hollow music. Def made me chuckle through out. Well made and close to accurate mockumentary. Does remind me a bit of the Office, but not quite as funny.
March 20, 2017
A classic that holds up in almost every way.