Thunder Road - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thunder Road Reviews

November 13, 2018
Cummings understands that there's a very fine line between cringe comedy and devastating tragedy and his near perfect performance does both seamlessly.
November 13, 2018
well worth the wait. Cummings is a powerhouse.
½ November 11, 2018
A moving blend of tragedy and comedy, remarkably told and performed by Jim Cummings, Thunder Road highlights the best of quiet dramas and is living proof that indie cinema is alive and growing
November 4, 2018
Warmth and uncomfortable comedy rarely align this sharply as Jim Cummings evokes a level of confident versatility reminiscent of early Tom Hanks.
The brilliance of Thunder Road is how Jim Cummings strikes a tone of outrageous humor and legitimately earned sadness within the same scene, a feat he accomplishes multiple times throughout the dark comedy. Some of the earlier scenes see him attempting to work on the force despite being an emotionally unstable mess as a result of his mother's passing and his superiors telling him to not return until a specified date, and it's in these moments especially that we laugh but simultaneously worry for his sanity.
Thunder Road is one of the best films of the year. [4/5]
November 3, 2018
Hard to watch. Good and bad. Up and down. Bipolar. Worth seeing.
½ November 2, 2018
Phenomenal. Comedy, heart, & the extreme excellent wonder that is Jim Cummings.
October 30, 2018
It is utterly impossible not to be sympathetic, even empathic, with the main character from the first scene, and that is why it is so easy to follow him around and try to know him more and understand better his pain. The main themes of the movie are grief and the difficulties of life in general, and the tour the force of Jim Cummings (writer, director, main actor) it is both appreciated and a fresh breath of air. I do not know if this creation was his one trick pony, but I sure hope not!
½ October 30, 2018
Emotionally in tune with the struggles of being both a parent and a child, Cummings creates an off-kilter love letter that speaks to the complexities of family dynamics.
October 30, 2018
You will not know if you should laugh or cry but one thing is for certain this is a wonderful and amazing movie
October 27, 2018
The movie starts with raising some questions about the main character then after time we're starting to understand how the character behaves and why he behaves the way it does. Emotions and drama mixed with dark humor or comedy you might say for this movie. I liked how it's not polished with songs because of that it's so raw and hard you feel empathy for our protagonist. I'm amazed by the guy how he wrote, directed and starred on it. Amazing watch. One of the best American drama for this year.
½ October 23, 2018
This movie is great in my opinion. I went into the movie not knowing anything about it and I was able to immerse myself into the movie quickly. His performance is great. It is very interesting to see his reactions to certain situations, it is very hard to predict his next move. This also applies to the plot itself, I did not know what to expect at anytime in the movie. He goes through so many emotions in this movie and I have to admit he delivers those emotions really well. He is kinda awkward and funny at times but he doesn't mean to. I don't know anything abouy him before his mother died but during the movie he goes through an emotional rollercoaster and just bad luck in general. Ultimately this bad luck worked out for him but in the end I have the sense that he can't be truly happy anymore, his mother's death left such a toll. The movie is slow at times and some scenes drag on a little but I didn't mind. I would like to see more works like these and I would recommend people interested in dialogue intensive films or anyone who just wants to watch a good movie.
October 17, 2018
I saw at a GREAT MOVIES PLACE(Alamo Drafthouse Cinema movies place in Austin,Texas) this movie Saturday 10/13/2018.) I RATE this ONLY 2.0(of HIGH 5.0 RATINGS for BEST MOVIES, of ratings 1.0 to 5.0 RATINGS), "Thunder Road"(2018). It was NOT a VERY GOOD MOVIE, and I do NOT RECOMMEND GOING SEE it at a MOVIE, and do NOT even see it HOME on your TV!
March 25, 2018
Terribly written with an incoherent story.