Thunder Road - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thunder Road Reviews

March 31, 2019
Thunder Road is very well-crafted drama film that can resonate deeply with its veiwers. The underlying message in the film gives viewers a sense of pure optimism as we see a realistic portrayal of tragic man who loses it all, to a genuine father learning to move on and deal with greif. The impressive, long one-shots along with Jim CummingsÔ(TM)s remarkable acting makes you want to rewatch every scene. From writing to then directing and acting Jim Cummings did his part in creating an absolute masterpiece.
March 27, 2019
Jim Cummings was awesome in this movie.
March 24, 2019
Nothing funny about this plus lots of bad acting. I admit to watching only an hour. We could not stand the constant missteps and downward spiral. If there is a happy ending, you must endure too much to get there. If there is not, this is truly bleak.
March 6, 2019
A police officer has just lost his mom. The movie starts with an depressing but hillarious scene at her funeral where he dances, cries, spits and curse around. This puts the mood and a face of the character - one of the most complex and best acted out characters I have seen lately.

Jim Cummings plays "Jim". Cumming also wrote and directed this film and this is his first full lenght, by the way. Jim is having trouble with his marriage. He sees his girl sometimes but her mom wants custody. This kills him inside as he feels he just has lost about everything. He does not have many true friends. He is unstable, weird, but also very correct when it comes to his job. Well, that's when he is not flipping out - which he often does. People around him show both care and cold shoulders as he deals with his biggest struggle of his life.

This is some character study to watch. The acting is amazing and the film is something different. It's funny at times, but more like a drama film. It's not dark humor, it's just very sad actually, involving a guy having a big meltdown.

Hard to rate. At times I think it's fantastic, other moments it feels to go a bit far and out of control. I guess I'll grade it rather high after letting it spin a few weeks in my head, since it was both interesting and entertaining, and the acting is marvelous.

8 out of 10 pink cassette players.
½ March 5, 2019
Darkly comic portrait of a man on the brink of losing it all, literally and figuratively. Jim Cummings is fantastic, running the gamut of emotions but always feeling genuine. Highly recommend.
March 1, 2019
Loved it! Make sure to watch the short film of the same name.
March 1, 2019
I can't say enough great things about this film. So much heart, humor and genuine emotion. It's not a film you will forget, particularly since you will be recommending it to everyone after you watch it. Terrific film.
February 28, 2019
This is such a fun and emotional ride. I´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)m blown away by Cummings performance. It´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)s a grounded down to earth story that keeps you engaged throughout.
February 14, 2019
This is a REALLY bad movie compared to what it's rated.

There really isn't much character growth or real purpose or story involved. It's more a mishmash of someone's life AND worst of all it isn't a very close representation of how a real cop job would function.

Therefore since it represents neither reality or fantasy through storytelling well this IS NOT a great movie as it's been rated.
½ January 24, 2019
Wildly underrated film thats Rotten Tomatoes score is more representative than its box office numbers or commercial success (other than winning SXSW of course). Re-release this in more theaters!
½ January 20, 2019
A very interesting oddity. Cummings is exceptional in all manifestations of his here.
January 16, 2019
Incredible movie. The storyline and the way itÔ(TM)s told feels completely unique which is so refreshing in a time where every other movie seems the same.
January 9, 2019
In Thunder Road Jim Cummings is a powerhouse as director, writer, and lead actor he manages to surprisingly exceed in all 3 departments. The film truly captivates you by connecting with the audience through tragedy and comedy until the very end.
January 1, 2019
Wow, this movie is really bad.
January 1, 2019
Jim is a basket-case of a human. His mom passes and he's trying to be a good single-dad with an ex-wife that's equally as off. Parts are so uncomfortably funny that you're not quite ready for all the events that happen.
½ December 2, 2018
Although the pacing of this film seems to struggle a little bit, Jim Cummings makes up for it by delivering a comedic yet heartbreaking performance alongside top notch cinematography.
November 22, 2018
LOVED this film. Jim Cummings is a true talent and a fresh voice.
November 17, 2018
There's a really gross movie from from 1976 called Squirm, but that could have been this movie's title. How did this guy ever last 6 years in the police to get to this point? How did he ever have a relationship that lasted long enough to have a kid? This guy is deeply weird, and talks in the same "cop" tone of voice to everyone, all the time. But with an extra level of awkward that presumably came from his mother's death. I don't really know what to think about any of this. But Jim's performance is tour de force. I wonder what else he can do.
½ November 16, 2018
Maybe the most DULL movie of this year, ThunderRoad focuses on the life of this loser copper, unable to make people feel respect for him.

The movie simply runs on this main character, all the others are mere backround figures. Maybe his daughter gets the spotlights a bit more, but she's a horse in acting, so bad.

Finally, the plot is so annoying and predictable it is not even worth talking about it. I guess people who rated this movie 5 stars are somehow involved in the profits, that's my only explaination.
NOT A COMEDY. something more like a noir drama. do not see it for your own sake.