Thunderball - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thunderball Reviews

November 5, 2018
For the mere fact that as at that time, Thunderball boasts of a jet-pack scene with James bond using it to escape peril, that would have amused audiences, it gets a 5 star amongst other things.
½ September 25, 2018
A fun installment to the Bond series, but it is not as good as its predecessor.
September 16, 2018
I was impressed that the movie wasn't too cheesy and had an enjoyable plot with really well-done underwater sequences. I watched it very tired, so it's possible that it was less boring than I thought it was, but even then the boring parts weren't too often, it was still good.
½ July 30, 2018
Its first half may be overencumbered with exposition, buildup, and the occasional head scratcher of a scene/moment/line/etc, but as soon as we arrive in the Bahamas, "Thunderball" immediately becomes a more fun and dramatically ironic spy actioner filled with some of the more recognizable elements that we all know Bond films for. It still has nothing on "Dr. No" and "Goldfinger," but it's also nowhere near bad or even overrated.
July 24, 2018
This is Sean Connery's best film as Bond not including Dr. No. It has great scenery and a strong plot.
-7.5/10
July 19, 2018
I was a bit impressed, I was not expecting it to be that good. Without a doubt, one of the best James Bond movies. Highly recommend.
½ June 11, 2018
Even though the scheme seems weak and there are a few boring scenes, Sean Connery gives a good performance, it has cool moments and the character of Fiona Volpe is great.
½ June 9, 2018
Its a bit off from the others...But still a quite good Bond flick.
½ May 25, 2018
The fourth film in the series, Thunderball was the biggest and most glamorous James Bond movie yet, as 007 fought Spectre in the Bahamas to thwart their plan involving stolen atomic weapons. This being a 1960s Bond film there's an embarrassment of riches, including a face off with femme fatale Luciana Paluzzi at a Mardi Graz carnival, and a large-scale undersea battle. However, the film feels overlong, is dragged down by too many slow-paced underwater scenes, and has an underwhelming final showdown.
½ April 13, 2018
not as comprehensive for a bond film as it should be. it feels overlong and vacillated in tone.
January 7, 2018
under water scenes drag out too long weighs movie down
½ December 27, 2017
Sean is in his element here and delivers another entertaining entry although some of the underwater fights nowadays seem slow and plodding.

Gadgets: 4/5 they upped the gadgets again for this entry.
Girls: 4/5 Luciana Paluzzi
as the villainous Fiona Volpe steals the show here.
Villains: 4/5 Largo and the aforementioned Volpe serve up some worthy villains. Largo's pool of sharks is a memorable highlight.
Bond Theme: 4/5 Tom Jones throws his hips into a memorable Bond theme
November 16, 2017
Thunderball is highlighted by its unusual way of storytelling, which inventively connects most of its villains and heroes to one common character, who is killed off near the beginning of the movie. And to just add to my many compliments about Thunderball's storytelling, it also gives a very strong set up to the plot, by acting like a book and waiting until a third of the film is over to actually get to Bond's mission. And last but not least Thunderball delivers a satisfying main villain, several awesome underwater scenes, and somehow manages to be a strong enough entry in the bond franchise to stand up against it's slightly over-praised predecessor Goldfinger.
½ October 21, 2017
A decent, if rather underwhelming Bond film, Thunderball is held together by Connery's charms, but held back by lazy editing, boring action, and a dull villain.
½ October 9, 2017
The underwarter battle at the end is a little confusing (even with the clearly defined 'good guy' and 'bad guy' wetsuits) and goes on a bit long. Also, the opening sequence, in which Bond battles a foe who is posing as his own 'widow' at a fake funeral, and then escapes via jetpack, is...well, stupid. But apart from that, this is one of the greats. The photogenic Bahamas location helps out a lot, but Connery also gives his best performance, aided by a killer script (including one-liners that actually induce laughter rather than eye-rolls) and Terence Young's direction. Largo is a little boring as Bond villains go, but the 'girls' are all fine, and are all reasonably well-defined characters for this era. Fiona Volpe remains my favourite Bond henchwoman. James gets somewhat rapey with Patricia, which detracts from the fun intrigue of the Shrublands sequence. Rik Van Nutter is one of the more memoarble Felixes (Felices?). Tom Jones's theme song is pretty stupid, but J Barry makes it catchy.
September 30, 2017
I like the nautical theme in the movie, however it seems that the recurring theme is unnecessary. I mean the story line keeps coming back to it. Doesn't crime happen above water?
½ September 23, 2017
it's classic Bond. However, I thought the first half was way better than the second half where it became a bit laboured. It's still a great bond
September 18, 2017
Not as good as the first three but still a fantastic addition and Connery's performance is still great.
September 15, 2017
Leaping for the high bar set by Goldfinger and catching itself with both hands, Thunderball dials up the humor a little and the gadgets a lot. Sean Connery is, as usual, incredible as Bond, and the set pieces are some of the best in cinematic history.