To Kill A Mockingbird - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

To Kill A Mockingbird Reviews

April 26, 2017
Knockout adaptation of Harper Lee's important contribution to American literature. Quite simply, this should be required viewing for every American. Gregory Peck, in a career-defining performance, absolutely brings the character of Atticus Finch to life in front of our very eyes. This film is pretty much pitch perfect in every way -- casting and acting, screenplay, musical score, cinematography, direction...and of course, the underlying lessons, messages, and truths. An absolute treasure.
April 4, 2017
This was truly eye-opening, from the most respectable characters to pitiful lowlifes, it taught the audience about dignity, moral, and how to stick with your morals. Sometimes it is hard for people to see through the black and white, but to me, this movie was not black and white at all.
March 16, 2017
This film is a masterpiece. Great acting, fantastic cinematography and a timeless story make it a marvel to behold.
½ February 15, 2017
A great adaptation of the book, it was well-done, faithful and was never boring! I recommend it!
½ February 7, 2017
Based on the novel of the same name by Harper Lee. A true classic. While not as good as the book (indeed, it's a rare thing for a film to be better than the book) it's still a damn fine film. A film about childhood, fatherhood, and prejudice.
January 30, 2017
viewed on 5/7/04 (Mon)

I am surprised so much of the trial of a wronged black man is mentioned together with the film when it is about a third of the story. Also the movie is always seen as Gregory Peck's movie when it actually belongs to the two children of his Atticus Finch. And. I always see this movie as just another condemning racism when it is much more than that. No wonder it is a secondary school literature text and the trailer recommended the film to children. It is all about the coming-of-age of two children, the trial is part of it but there is also a Bogeyman nicknamed Boo (played by a very young Robert Duvall), a summer friend and a very close shave with murder. During the trial, there are even subtle mentions of incest rape and a white girl's repressed sexual urge.

I never really know how wrongly the film is being promoted these years until I see the making-of documentary which really explains the actual intentions of the book and film. At one and a half hour long (oh gosh, if add on to the film length, it is like watching Seven Samurai again), it not only interviews the key actors but also the residents of the author's hometown. With all respect, it is boring. The book is about the author's childhood but thankfully the movie streamlined into a elegantly-paced and sublimely acted children movie worth recommending to all young adults who are about to see the end of their innocence and the cruel dangers in adulthood.

Rating: A-
January 29, 2017
Good memorable book to movie adaptation starring people I don't know because I'm young and this movie came out in the 1950s or before that, I don't know. I like the story and how they show it but if they just coulda had some color, at least Technicolor, wizard of oz did it , why couldn't this do it to. I like the acting from the child actors but man, you can tell that they're just reading off a script, the kids don't have talent unlike the guy who plays atticus, scouts father, he does or I should say shows how good of an actor he is and that he cares for the role and he does a fantastic job.
January 25, 2017
One of the best movies of all time. The main subject sol relevant.
½ January 22, 2017
Nice story. I could barely recognise young Robert Duvall. Superb acting especially during the trial.
January 19, 2017
I've seen this. I don't know how to rate it.
January 18, 2017
I have never seen a movie so powerful and touching as 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. From its opening shot where Scout (Mary Badham) hums while writing the title to its ending when the character of Boo Radley (Robert Duvall) is finally revealed. Each moment is considered to be a great triumph of film-making; ranging from its camerawork, directing, editing, and score. But let's not forget the character of Atticus Finch (Gregory Peck in a deserved Oscar-winning performance); the lawyer and caring father of two. He is what holds the film together like glue. Finch is a character who believes in what is right, no matter what other people's perception is, especially when it comes to defending black man, Tom Robinson (Brock Peters) during a trial in the film's most powerful moment. He doesn't give in to anger, and helps young Scout get through the problems in school. I can only describe 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as one of the most important films you will ever experience (even if you have never read Harper Lee's novel).
January 7, 2017
They don't pace em like they used to--thank God. Gotta wonder if that Boo hiding in the corner scene played better when this was made. Decent movie, but if they cut out all those stupid kids, I think I might actually have enjoyed this. Someone needs to do one of those re-edits.
½ December 24, 2016
A wonderful yet inevitably condensed adaptation of Harper Lee's sublime novel that, despite harmed a bit by some of the changes, is heartfelt, moving and always true to the soul of her story, with Gregory Peck in a fantastic performance even if a bit stiff in the trial scene.
December 5, 2016
Just as great as the book!
November 30, 2016
Rewatched 11-27-2016, 2-2-2014. Original rating: September 21, 2010. 4.5/5
November 6, 2016
I saw this film (and read the book) as a teenager and liked it, and certainly took away from it lessons in morality and the plight of the black man in the deep south that stayed with me vividly during my entire life. So it was a big shock to me after seeing the movie recently how much I disliked it. So much so that I did what I rarely do, read other reviews before writing my own. I had to do a reality check - how I could I not like this movie, based on an iconic and universally praised book, beloved as both a morality tale and history ? I was relieved to see that two giants, Andrew Sarris and Roger Ebert, also didn't like the film - phew, it isn't just me ! My impressions: stilted movie-making, almost as if they had filmed a stage play; manipulative, superficial moralizing; cartoonish, politically correct caricatures and fantasy scenes. A real disappointment.
October 13, 2016
Re-watched.. Very good classic
½ October 13, 2016
To Kill a Mockingbird is a very moving film that sheds light on the problems African Americans faced all over U.S history. Great performances by the leading actors/actresses and the close to book adaptation makes this movie a one of a kind experience that will make you cry time and time again!
½ September 27, 2016
Holds up remarkably well.
September 10, 2016
one of the best movies ever made, it's a masterpiece