To Kill A Mockingbird - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

To Kill A Mockingbird Reviews

June 10, 2017
Excellent movie. Gregory Peck!
June 6, 2017
Quite simply my all time favorite film.
½ May 27, 2017
Like its groundbreaking source material, To Kill a Mockingbird is touching, rewarding and social relevant, rising on Gregory Peck's fine tuned performance.
May 13, 2017
As far as I'm concerned, this is the greatest courtroom drama ever made.
½ May 11, 2017
Lacks a lot of the thematic depth of the novel upon which it is based, but a decently done adaptation of the broad strokes of the narrative, at least.
April 26, 2017
Knockout adaptation of Harper Lee's important contribution to American literature. Quite simply, this should be required viewing for every American. Gregory Peck, in a career-defining performance, absolutely brings the character of Atticus Finch to life in front of our very eyes. This film is pretty much pitch perfect in every way -- casting and acting, screenplay, musical score, cinematography, direction...and of course, the underlying lessons, messages, and truths. An absolute treasure.
April 4, 2017
This was truly eye-opening, from the most respectable characters to pitiful lowlifes, it taught the audience about dignity, moral, and how to stick with your morals. Sometimes it is hard for people to see through the black and white, but to me, this movie was not black and white at all.
March 16, 2017
This film is a masterpiece. Great acting, fantastic cinematography and a timeless story make it a marvel to behold.
½ February 15, 2017
A great adaptation of the book, it was well-done, faithful and was never boring! I recommend it!
½ February 7, 2017
Based on the novel of the same name by Harper Lee. A true classic. While not as good as the book (indeed, it's a rare thing for a film to be better than the book) it's still a damn fine film. A film about childhood, fatherhood, and prejudice.
January 30, 2017
viewed on 5/7/04 (Mon)

I am surprised so much of the trial of a wronged black man is mentioned together with the film when it is about a third of the story. Also the movie is always seen as Gregory Peck's movie when it actually belongs to the two children of his Atticus Finch. And. I always see this movie as just another condemning racism when it is much more than that. No wonder it is a secondary school literature text and the trailer recommended the film to children. It is all about the coming-of-age of two children, the trial is part of it but there is also a Bogeyman nicknamed Boo (played by a very young Robert Duvall), a summer friend and a very close shave with murder. During the trial, there are even subtle mentions of incest rape and a white girl's repressed sexual urge.

I never really know how wrongly the film is being promoted these years until I see the making-of documentary which really explains the actual intentions of the book and film. At one and a half hour long (oh gosh, if add on to the film length, it is like watching Seven Samurai again), it not only interviews the key actors but also the residents of the author's hometown. With all respect, it is boring. The book is about the author's childhood but thankfully the movie streamlined into a elegantly-paced and sublimely acted children movie worth recommending to all young adults who are about to see the end of their innocence and the cruel dangers in adulthood.

Rating: A-
January 29, 2017
Good memorable book to movie adaptation starring people I don't know because I'm young and this movie came out in the 1950s or before that, I don't know. I like the story and how they show it but if they just coulda had some color, at least Technicolor, wizard of oz did it , why couldn't this do it to. I like the acting from the child actors but man, you can tell that they're just reading off a script, the kids don't have talent unlike the guy who plays atticus, scouts father, he does or I should say shows how good of an actor he is and that he cares for the role and he does a fantastic job.
January 25, 2017
One of the best movies of all time. The main subject sol relevant.
½ January 22, 2017
Nice story. I could barely recognise young Robert Duvall. Superb acting especially during the trial.
January 19, 2017
I've seen this. I don't know how to rate it.
January 18, 2017
I have never seen a movie so powerful and touching as 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. From its opening shot where Scout (Mary Badham) hums while writing the title to its ending when the character of Boo Radley (Robert Duvall) is finally revealed. Each moment is considered to be a great triumph of film-making; ranging from its camerawork, directing, editing, and score. But let's not forget the character of Atticus Finch (Gregory Peck in a deserved Oscar-winning performance); the lawyer and caring father of two. He is what holds the film together like glue. Finch is a character who believes in what is right, no matter what other people's perception is, especially when it comes to defending black man, Tom Robinson (Brock Peters) during a trial in the film's most powerful moment. He doesn't give in to anger, and helps young Scout get through the problems in school. I can only describe 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as one of the most important films you will ever experience (even if you have never read Harper Lee's novel).
January 7, 2017
They don't pace em like they used to--thank God. Gotta wonder if that Boo hiding in the corner scene played better when this was made. Decent movie, but if they cut out all those stupid kids, I think I might actually have enjoyed this. Someone needs to do one of those re-edits.
½ December 24, 2016
A wonderful yet inevitably condensed adaptation of Harper Lee's sublime novel that, despite harmed a bit by some of the changes, is heartfelt, moving and always true to the soul of her story, with Gregory Peck in a fantastic performance even if a bit stiff in the trial scene.
December 5, 2016
Just as great as the book!
November 30, 2016