To Kill A Mockingbird - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

To Kill A Mockingbird Reviews

January 18, 2017
I have never seen a movie so powerful and touching as 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. From its opening shot where Scout (Mary Badham) hums while writing the title to its ending when the character of Boo Radley (Robert Duvall) is finally revealed. Each moment is considered to be a great triumph of film-making; ranging from its camerawork, directing, editing, and score. But let's not forget the character of Atticus Finch (Gregory Peck in a deserved Oscar-winning performance); the lawyer and caring father of two. He is what holds the film together like glue. Finch is a character who believes in what is right, no matter what other people's perception is, especially when it comes to defending black man, Tom Robinson (Brock Peters) during a trial in the film's most powerful moment. He doesn't give in to anger, and helps young Scout get through the problems in school. I can only describe 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as one of the most important films you will ever experience (even if you have never read Harper Lee's novel).
January 7, 2017
They don't pace em like they used to--thank God. Gotta wonder if that Boo hiding in the corner scene played better when this was made. Decent movie, but if they cut out all those stupid kids, I think I might actually have enjoyed this. Someone needs to do one of those re-edits.
½ December 24, 2016
A wonderful yet inevitably condensed adaptation of Harper Lee's sublime novel that, despite harmed a bit by some of the changes, is heartfelt, moving and always true to the soul of her story, with Gregory Peck in a fantastic performance even if a bit stiff in the trial scene.
December 5, 2016
Just as great as the book!
November 30, 2016
Rewatched 11-27-2016, 2-2-2014. Original rating: September 21, 2010. 4.5/5
November 6, 2016
I saw this film (and read the book) as a teenager and liked it, and certainly took away from it lessons in morality and the plight of the black man in the deep south that stayed with me vividly during my entire life. So it was a big shock to me after seeing the movie recently how much I disliked it. So much so that I did what I rarely do, read other reviews before writing my own. I had to do a reality check - how I could I not like this movie, based on an iconic and universally praised book, beloved as both a morality tale and history ? I was relieved to see that two giants, Andrew Sarris and Roger Ebert, also didn't like the film - phew, it isn't just me ! My impressions: stilted movie-making, almost as if they had filmed a stage play; manipulative, superficial moralizing; cartoonish, politically correct caricatures and fantasy scenes. A real disappointment.
October 13, 2016
Re-watched.. Very good classic
½ October 13, 2016
To Kill a Mockingbird is a very moving film that sheds light on the problems African Americans faced all over U.S history. Great performances by the leading actors/actresses and the close to book adaptation makes this movie a one of a kind experience that will make you cry time and time again!
½ September 27, 2016
Holds up remarkably well.
September 10, 2016
one of the best movies ever made, it's a masterpiece
½ September 2, 2016
Fantastic in all aspects!
August 15, 2016
I read the book like reading any book, but I watched the film like watching any classic masterpiece.
August 14, 2016
this movie is a classic with an excellent plot and one of the best acting job i have seen from gregory peck
August 10, 2016
As far as I'm concerned, this is the greatest courtroom drama ever made.
August 8, 2016
I was hooked in by the very unique (for it's time) opening credit sequence. And then was sold by the scene where the entire crowd of Tom supporters stand in honor of Atticus passing by, after losing the case. A truly emotional and honest moment.

A movie that still resonates with today's political climate. Wonderful movie. I'm sorry it took me so long to watch.
July 26, 2016
A rare film, such a brilliant tale relating to the whole of american history and it's preferences. A must see for everyone in their lifetime, I learnt a lot from this movie.
July 23, 2016
Does cinema really get better than this?
½ July 17, 2016
A coming-of-age story examining not just race but also fearing the unknown and the nature of justice, it is rightly regarded both as an excellent adaptation of the famous book of the same name and a most superb film.
July 7, 2016
I think it's difficult to judge a movie made in a completely different era (read Roger Ebert review on this movie about this aspect) . What i felt watching it is that there are three movies here: Tom Robinson's story, Boo and the children's one and the lone father/liberal white lawyer Atticus' one. The three elements of the story don't work perfectly together, i think, and each of them could be analyzed in a deeper way. We perceive the difficulties that Atticus is facing growing the children without his wife, but the movie just hints to that, for example. But perhaps if had watched it in 1962 i would have had a totally different impression of it and, given the time, it was a courageous movie. Anyway, it's worth watching it just for Gregory Peck's amazing, Oscar winning performance! What an actor!
July 6, 2016
I don't know how to start this review perhaps with the writing has been done right and this movie is so damn well written it would it is impossible not to like Atticus Finch in fact I think this movie is so good I get teary-eyed when I watch it