To Kill A Mockingbird - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

To Kill A Mockingbird Reviews

½ July 17, 2016
A coming-of-age story examining not just race but also fearing the unknown and the nature of justice, it is rightly regarded both as an excellent adaptation of the famous book of the same name and a most superb film.
July 7, 2016
I think it's difficult to judge a movie made in a completely different era (read Roger Ebert review on this movie about this aspect) . What i felt watching it is that there are three movies here: Tom Robinson's story, Boo and the children's one and the lone father/liberal white lawyer Atticus' one. The three elements of the story don't work perfectly together, i think, and each of them could be analyzed in a deeper way. We perceive the difficulties that Atticus is facing growing the children without his wife, but the movie just hints to that, for example. But perhaps if had watched it in 1962 i would have had a totally different impression of it and, given the time, it was a courageous movie. Anyway, it's worth watching it just for Gregory Peck's amazing, Oscar winning performance! What an actor!
July 6, 2016
I don't know how to start this review perhaps with the writing has been done right and this movie is so damn well written it would it is impossible not to like Atticus Finch in fact I think this movie is so good I get teary-eyed when I watch it
July 2, 2016
Powerfully austere and poignant - childlike innocence meets adult prejudice and tyranny, and yet the story holds a shimmering line of hope and dignity that perfectly personifies the fully dimensional characters from the Pulitzer Prize winning book.

I read and loved the book in tenth grade, and had the opportunity to see the movie just before writing my book report - I watched it late night at a neighbors house bc they had cable, and only asked that I make sure the tv and lights were off when I left. haha

I had dreamed up a different, more graphic ending with the image of the knife scraping the chicken wire being an important visual metaphor for the evil of this world always going after the innocence of childhood. On reflection tho, it's better the focus was on Atticus defending his kids. Despite being an older gentleman, he had a deeper and higher purpose, perfectly reflected by Gregory Peck.
My want for graphic violence was really gratuitous and unnecessary.

As a tenth grader, I truly saw this as an adventure from the childs point of view, and the racial tension hadnt fully sunk in until a few years later. Stunning to me how the film worked completely on both levels.

Classic cinema, not to be missed.

5 out of 5
June 26, 2016
Such a masterpiece ! Captured the essence and the spirit of the book really well.
½ June 22, 2016
Not as good as the book. This movie has been described as a masterpiece, but it's long run time and far too many long silences make it dated nowadays. There are, of course, two great messages in the movie, both of which remain relevant today.
The most annoying thing about this movie is the children; their voices are just too shrill, and John Megna, who plays the occasional visiting neighbour, has to be the ugliest child ever to make it to the big screen.
Mary Badham, who plays Scout, puts in some great performances (credit to good direction) but the stand out performance is Brock Peters as the accused Tom Peters toward the end of of the courthouse scene.
½ June 17, 2016
To Kill A Mockingbird is a faithful adaptation of Harper Lee's timeless novel about growing up inside this world, powered by Gregory Peck's great performance and the great courtroom sequence.
June 15, 2016
To Kill A Mockingbird shines in the courtroom thanks to Gregory Peck's fantastic performance. Elsewhere the movie is fine, but deserves a lot of credit for being ahead of its time with the subject matter.
June 5, 2016
amazing classic movie ?????????
May 29, 2016
Atticus said to Jem one day, "I'd rather you shot at tin cans in the backyard, but I know you'll go after birds. Shoot all the blue jays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

That was the only time I ever heard Atticus say it was a sin to do something, and I asked Miss Maudie about it. "Your father's right," she said. "Mockingbirds don't do one thing except make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat up people's gardens, don't nest in corn cribs, they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
May 21, 2016
Small-town Alabama, 1932. Atticus Finch (played by Gregory Peck) is a lawyer and a widower. He has two young children, Jem and Scout. Atticus Finch is currently defending Tom Robinson, a black man accused of raping a white woman. Meanwhile, Jem and Scout are intrigued by their neighbours, the Radleys, and the mysterious, seldom-seen Boo Radley in particular.

Based on the Harper Lee novel, a powerful, moving story of injustice, prejudice, family and growing up. The examination of "justice" based on racial lines is particularly profound and relevant to its time. The racism that forms the background to the trial is also incredibly gut-wrenching.

Just the justice/injustice/racism angle alone was enough to make this movie great. The court scenes, and Finch's closing argument, are among the most powerful ever committed to film. However, tipping the movie over into the masterpiece category are the scenes involving the children.

Showing Atticus Funch's family life creates a great sense of engagement with the characters and the town in particular. The children bring a wonderful sense of innocence, boundless vitality and the wonder of discovery and growing up to the movie, and provide some great comedic moments. They also bring some great drama, especially towards the end.

Gregory Peck deservedly won a Best Actor Oscar for his stirring, emotional portrayal of Atticus Finch. Incidentally, this was his first and only win, on his fifth and final nomination.

Mary Badham, at 9/10 years old, did a great job of playing the hyper-energetic, tomboyish Scout and got a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination for her efforts. At the time she was the youngest ever nominee in the Best Supporting Actress category.

Good support from a great cast, none of whom put a foot wrong. Robert Duvall made his feature film debut in this movie and, although he has no lines and little screentime, his performance, especially his opening shot, is very memorable and powerful.
May 8, 2016
An excellent movie that stands the test of time! This is definitely one of the best book to movie adaptations of all time! This movie is easily the peak of Gregory Peck's career, who plays Atticus Finch. No wonder why it is required to read this book in U.S. high schools!
May 8, 2016
Que gran historia,que buenas actuaciones, cine del de antes...
May 6, 2016
It's been nearly 30 years since I read the book this movie was based on, so I only had a very faint recollection of the story. When I started watching I was a tad annoyed by how much time went into the setup. There was nearly half the film that was entirely focused on the kids running around and playing. I started to wonder if I even read this book because none of this stuff (other than the names) seemed familiar to me. So I think if I had an issue with this film it would be that it spent so long in those early scenes establishing characters, and Atticus remained mostly in the background. However whenever Atticus showed up the story was truly remarkable. I love this tale of 2 kids learning just how important their father is in the community. And the story really got going once we were allowed to step into the courtroom, that is when the film becomes one of the best crime dramas ever captured on film. I love the way the story unfolds in the court, and how you could see the uphill battle Atticus was waging. The after-effects of the trial were just as riveting right up until the last frame of the film. In fact the back half of To Kill A Mockingbird is so strong that I virtually forgot about the slow parts in the first half. I think if I watch the film more I'll learn to appreciate the setup as an essential part of character development which makes the second half so effective, but on a first watch I just wanted it to move a little faster.
April 28, 2016
What can I say except that this is a masterpiece? What hasn't been said about this classic? It's an incredible film. Well directed, adapted nicely from a brilliant novel and casting was perfect. Characters like the Ewells, Calpurnia, Tom Robinson and Heck Tate were played to perfection. And they did the impossible-child actors who could act. But there are two special performances I must credit, done by two of the greatest actors of all time. First of all, Robert Duvall as Boo Radley. He doesn't say a word, yet through facial expression he perfectly expresses the character. The other genius is Gregory Peck. The best movie dad and movie lawyer is Atticus Finch, due to Peck's riveting and pitch-perfect performance. This film deserves its 3 oscars. It's just a masterpiece. Nothing else to it.
April 17, 2016
Let the dead bury the dead this time, Mr. Finch
½ April 14, 2016
I probably would have enjoyed this more if I didn't have such high expectations going into watching it. Unfortunately, the story was of very little interest too me.
½ April 10, 2016
great acting from atticus, jem, and scout. atticus' stand against prejudice and the way he parents is a great example. the movie, however, moves too slowly for my tastes.
April 3, 2016
An important story that everyone has probably read. One of the best well adapted movies you'll ever see. Doesn't quite capture the same effect the novel has, but it gets pretty close.