To Kill A Mockingbird - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

To Kill A Mockingbird Reviews

November 30, 2016
Rewatched 11-27-2016, 2-2-2014. Original rating: September 21, 2010. 4.5/5
November 6, 2016
I saw this film (and read the book) as a teenager and liked it, and certainly took away from it lessons in morality and the plight of the black man in the deep south that stayed with me vividly during my entire life. So it was a big shock to me after seeing the movie recently how much I disliked it. So much so that I did what I rarely do, read other reviews before writing my own. I had to do a reality check - how I could I not like this movie, based on an iconic and universally praised book, beloved as both a morality tale and history ? I was relieved to see that two giants, Andrew Sarris and Roger Ebert, also didn't like the film - phew, it isn't just me ! My impressions: stilted movie-making, almost as if they had filmed a stage play; manipulative, superficial moralizing; cartoonish, politically correct caricatures and fantasy scenes. A real disappointment.
October 13, 2016
Re-watched.. Very good classic
½ October 13, 2016
To Kill a Mockingbird is a very moving film that sheds light on the problems African Americans faced all over U.S history. Great performances by the leading actors/actresses and the close to book adaptation makes this movie a one of a kind experience that will make you cry time and time again!
½ September 27, 2016
Holds up remarkably well.
September 10, 2016
one of the best movies ever made, it's a masterpiece
½ September 2, 2016
Fantastic in all aspects!
August 15, 2016
I read the book like reading any book, but I watched the film like watching any classic masterpiece.
August 14, 2016
this movie is a classic with an excellent plot and one of the best acting job i have seen from gregory peck
August 10, 2016
As far as I'm concerned, this is the greatest courtroom drama ever made.
August 8, 2016
I was hooked in by the very unique (for it's time) opening credit sequence. And then was sold by the scene where the entire crowd of Tom supporters stand in honor of Atticus passing by, after losing the case. A truly emotional and honest moment.

A movie that still resonates with today's political climate. Wonderful movie. I'm sorry it took me so long to watch.
July 26, 2016
A rare film, such a brilliant tale relating to the whole of american history and it's preferences. A must see for everyone in their lifetime, I learnt a lot from this movie.
July 23, 2016
Does cinema really get better than this?
½ July 17, 2016
A coming-of-age story examining not just race but also fearing the unknown and the nature of justice, it is rightly regarded both as an excellent adaptation of the famous book of the same name and a most superb film.
July 7, 2016
I think it's difficult to judge a movie made in a completely different era (read Roger Ebert review on this movie about this aspect) . What i felt watching it is that there are three movies here: Tom Robinson's story, Boo and the children's one and the lone father/liberal white lawyer Atticus' one. The three elements of the story don't work perfectly together, i think, and each of them could be analyzed in a deeper way. We perceive the difficulties that Atticus is facing growing the children without his wife, but the movie just hints to that, for example. But perhaps if had watched it in 1962 i would have had a totally different impression of it and, given the time, it was a courageous movie. Anyway, it's worth watching it just for Gregory Peck's amazing, Oscar winning performance! What an actor!
July 6, 2016
I don't know how to start this review perhaps with the writing has been done right and this movie is so damn well written it would it is impossible not to like Atticus Finch in fact I think this movie is so good I get teary-eyed when I watch it
July 2, 2016
Powerfully austere and poignant - childlike innocence meets adult prejudice and tyranny, and yet the story holds a shimmering line of hope and dignity that perfectly personifies the fully dimensional characters from the Pulitzer Prize winning book.

I read and loved the book in tenth grade, and had the opportunity to see the movie just before writing my book report - I watched it late night at a neighbors house bc they had cable, and only asked that I make sure the tv and lights were off when I left. haha

I had dreamed up a different, more graphic ending with the image of the knife scraping the chicken wire being an important visual metaphor for the evil of this world always going after the innocence of childhood. On reflection tho, it's better the focus was on Atticus defending his kids. Despite being an older gentleman, he had a deeper and higher purpose, perfectly reflected by Gregory Peck.
My want for graphic violence was really gratuitous and unnecessary.

As a tenth grader, I truly saw this as an adventure from the childs point of view, and the racial tension hadnt fully sunk in until a few years later. Stunning to me how the film worked completely on both levels.

Classic cinema, not to be missed.

5 out of 5
June 26, 2016
Such a masterpiece ! Captured the essence and the spirit of the book really well.
½ June 22, 2016
Not as good as the book. This movie has been described as a masterpiece, but it's long run time and far too many long silences make it dated nowadays. There are, of course, two great messages in the movie, both of which remain relevant today.
The most annoying thing about this movie is the children; their voices are just too shrill, and John Megna, who plays the occasional visiting neighbour, has to be the ugliest child ever to make it to the big screen.
Mary Badham, who plays Scout, puts in some great performances (credit to good direction) but the stand out performance is Brock Peters as the accused Tom Peters toward the end of of the courthouse scene.