Toni Erdmann - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Toni Erdmann Reviews

November 12, 2017
And incredible original drama, that is as cringeworthy as it is weirdly watchable.
October 16, 2017
Not as funny as one would hope.
October 5, 2017
Life is funny. Sure, you don't really get a lot of laughs but the movie seems to get more and more delightful. Anyone can relate to having been stuck in a job with no humor and having a parent that wants to lighten the mood only to seemingly ruin it for you. Certainly the father-daughter relationship has a lot of distant from the start. But as the film progresses, the distance seems to decrease and you realize their relationship has kept them in their own universe. It is the outside world that's alien. While certain moments will go way over viewers' heads, the film keeps its premise simple, and the moves honest.
September 25, 2017
One of the most crushingly dull and unjustifiably overextended films I've watched this year, Toni Erdmann was bafflingly showered with praise upon release, and I completely fail to see what the big deal is. It starts off fine, with a nice introduction to our amiable protagonist and the situation he faces: Disassociation from his daughter. Not unheard of in the cinematic world, and he sets out to reconnect with her. What follows is more than 2 and a half hours of flaccid comedy, contrived scenarios and tooth-grinding tedium. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for this film to be over 160 minutes long. I can only assume this was done to give the film an epic scale or make it seem important. All long films are great, right? I laughed maybe 3 times in total, and spent the rest of the time rolling my eyes, groaning loudly or counting the floor tiles, and sometimes all 3 at the same time. The actions of our lead are pitiful, not very amusing or charming and, despite his goal being to re-establish the familial bond with his daughter, he goes out of his way to ruin what could potentially be a great career for her, all for his own benefit. He's like a child who's been denied their favourite toy and is now throwing a petty tantrum until they get it back. The film is so padded with business jargon and unnecessary fluff that the Wikipedia plot synopsis doesn't include more than half of what takes place; that's how unimportant it is. The acting is good, and the camera is usually pointing in the right direction, but what it captures is not even slightly worth committing to film. Trying to do both comedy and pathos, and largely failing on both counts, Toni Erdmann would be simply bad if it were an hour and a half, but at 2 and a half it's close to unbearable. A tragic squandering of potentially great source material.
September 24, 2017
Portraying this film as a comedy was a mistake. Granted, it definitely has some comic, clever moments or brief episodes that make one wonder how in the world the father, Winifred (impersonating a Toni Erdmann) appears and just as easily vanishes from his daughter's various corporate meetings and social appearances, and how he somehow weasels his way into her business affairs and convinces her business associates of his authenticity. Even less believable is her tendency to go along with, or become embroiled in his machinations. Filmwriter Maren Ade has indulged herself in making this film by adding some bizarre, unbelievable elements and twists that may entertain some viewers, but alienate others: Winifred's false teeth, his unseemly wig and unkept appearance (which Ines's business associates never question), Ines's unplanned decision to host her brithday social in the nude, Winifred's donning a Bulgerian Kukeri costume, and his sudden participation in a party where guests are designing eggs and where Ina not only gets recruited to design one herself, but then belts out a Whitney Houston song while her father accompanies her on piano. Some of the scenes verge on the absurd, and then suddenly come crashing down in an attempt, whether successful or not, to depict a convincing moment of some sort of communication break-through between father and daughter. I agree with the many other audience reviewers who bemoan the length of the film, a fact most "professional" critics either ignore or suggest is not a major flaw. It is, however, and a skilled film editor could easily have rectified this. Although we see fleeting moments of emotional breakthroughs in the character of Ines, one questions how much she has truly changed when we learn at the film's end that she has accepted the corporate promotion she wanted in Asia.
September 24, 2017
No story, no humor, no point. Awful in every way. Looks like we got peak German cinema about 20 years ago.
September 24, 2017
This film is really long. Not very much happens...but that makes it a great character study...I guess...right? This film has some interesting and original scenes, however you could easily cut half of it and it wouldn't lose any of its charm. It just was too long and drawn out for my liking.
September 24, 2017
Ridiculously long without any substantial reason. Some moments are funny, some are though-provoking, but other than that the film is dominated by unnecessarily long and bizarre episodes. If you have the luxury of throwing away 2h40min of your life, go for it.
September 20, 2017
Very long, but brilliant. The time flies as you watch the relationship between Ines and "Toni Erdmann," Winfried, her eccentric father.
September 1, 2017
Think through an entertainment while think and see over reality of the world while been fiction, while having some laughs, great comedy.

In contrast to the vast numbers of comedy films, sometimes over-saturated with cheap laughs, 'fashionable' jokes and empty styles (I bet, a trend pushed by commercialization for easy sells), this is instead a very decent film that I enjoyed to watch :)
½ August 25, 2017
Ok. I get it... but does it have to run this long to show the love between a father and a daughter?
½ July 26, 2017
Unusual, crushingly boring, and pretty good! Beneath the mundane chat and visuals, and the quietly realistic characters, strong emotions pulsate to keep the fantastic duo carrying the film. It's not crazy deep or anything, but somehow, it just works. For some.

I despise it on many levels, even though the Wilderpeople, which also had a peculiar tone, didn't alienate me half as much. Maybe it's because this one has an extra hour of runtime? Which I feel is really unnecessary, but then again this isn't my kind of film.
July 24, 2017
Wonderfully directed and written, with two fabulous central performances with such a poetically poignant flair, Ade's film sets itself up for greatness and for the most part succeeds but does have major issues. Firstly the pacing is downright ridiculous, 1hr 30min in and it'll feel 4hrs of your time has been spent and ultimately wasted and that's the issue. The film is afraid to slim down and get to its point and instead it just bloats and bloats with so much repetitiveness and st times misses its touching moments of family and humanity. The climax is funny yes, but the result is an over the top and missed opportunity in its final act.
July 22, 2017
This is a slow burn; so wait, hang in and watch it wow you!
½ July 12, 2017
Below is not a review (not yet anyway.) So don't bother reading it.

-------

Not sure what to make of it.

Not sure how much my viewing of the film was spoiled by the key dramatic images and critical conceptualisations on the DVD box and printed on the DVD itself (trowelled on, one imagines, in a desperate attempt to grab your attention in an increasingly dire marketplace. So we can purchase a film that they have just partially spoiled. The joys of capitalism.)

For example, calling it a comedy creates significant preconceptions/confusion/jarring sensations right off the bat, especially when the first scene contains a guy 'being funny' (but not particularly so.) As a viewer I was not sure at the time if the film maker was aware that what the guy was doing was not particularly funny. Creating the muddled scene/jarring effect previously referred to.
Perhaps this could have been avoided by better marketing of the film, maybe by presenting it as a drama. Or maybe that scene would have been a muddled scene for the viewer either way. I'm honestly not sure.

It will need a second viewing from me. An interesting film though, I should say.
½ July 7, 2017
Been looking forward to this one as I have seen most of the foreign movies on the Oscar-list. It turned out to be a pretty different movie but also a slight disappointment.

Winfried Conradi is not seeing his daughter as much as he'd like, so he comes for a surprize visit. And he stays. She is doing loads of important work, but he's there, following her and trying to fit in. As he catches her negative vibes towards him he gets away, but not far - he converts into "Toni Erdmann" a fella into the same business as her, lurking around every corner playing practical jokes on both her and her co-workers and clients.

It got a very weird vibe, it's wide and varied, it's not easy to spot what's coming. Impressively it never felt long, even if it's playtime is 2.5 hours plus. It's really not that funny, even if some weird stand out scenes seem unforgettable. Unique film with some great acting from the two leads, big moments and an overall vibe that shifts from sad to weird, to dark comedy-like.

7 out of 10 cheese graters.
July 2, 2017