Tootsie Reviews

• Sep 07, 2020

Terrible boring movie starring Dustin Hoffman.

Terrible boring movie starring Dustin Hoffman.

• Aug 28, 2020

The big reveal had me in stitches. Managed to eventually overcome the obvious jokes to be quite a funny film. The problem was the ridiculously unrealistic ending. That aside the film works as a gentle candy floss piece of silly cinema.

• Aug 28, 2020

Even though I knew it was a very well-received movie and one of the biggest comedies of the 1980s, I still found Tootsie to be better than I expected with its witty humor, smart dialogue, themes on sexism in the entertainment industry, some heartfelt scenes, and a cast full of great performances led by Dustin Hoffman in one of his best roles.

• Aug 15, 2020

Rather thoughtful for a cross dressing comedy. Sydney Pollack's romantic comedy Tootsie (1982) holds up nicely as a feminist piece on critiquing toxic masculinity in the workplace, while encouraging women to stand up for themselves, and finding commonality between the sexes and the unemployed actors. Pollack's supporting acting role as Dustin Hoffman's agent is hilarious, but his direction is forthright and strikingly modern. He addresses sexism in the entertainment industry as well as in relationships in a realistic way. It's not absurdist comedy like Mrs. Doubtfire or Some Like It Hot, but a sincere picture about men relating to ladies' struggles and feelings in an empathetic fashion. Tootsie is a wonderfully crafted film and it's no wonder it's been beloved for so many years. Barry Levinson, Larry Gelbart, Elaine May, Don McGuire, and Murray Schisgal's script for Tootsie is like all the collective women in America screaming out in frustration at their sexist bosses, ignorant husbands, and terrible boyfriends. They lambast shallow men and inadequate relationships in a natural and funny way. Tootsie is hilarious and the cleverly biting writing is why. William Steinkamp and Fredric Steinkamp's editing keeps Tootsie to a likable 116 minutes of farcical comedy and riveting romance drama. Owen Roizman's nifty cinematography carefully marks where actors are in frame relative to one another in a crafty way for jokes, while gently reminding audiences of their feelings with personal, intimate close-up shots for the romance drama segments. Dave Grusin's score is tender and exciting with a warm tone throughout Tootsie. I like Ruth Morley and Bernie Pollack's creative costumes for Hoffman and the rest of the ladies in Tootsie. They must have had their work cut out for them making Dustin Hoffman into a woman. Hoffman's leading role is sublime as he effortlessly portrays an out of work actor desperate for his next gig in absorbing dramatic monologue after monologue. All his physical comedy stuff is fun, but I was particularly intrigued at how convincingly authentic his dramatic sentiments were all throughout Tootsie. I adore Jessica Lange, Teri Garr, Geena Davis, and Bill Murray in Tootsie. They all say their piece on life and ladies in a genuine way all their own. They are just fantastic supporting actresses and actors. In short, Tootsie is a delightful comedy and refreshingly progressive in its perspective.

• Jul 13, 2020

Best film ever made!

Best film ever made!

• Jun 05, 2020

Loved this movie! A classic story with a twist, great acting that definitely holds up to present day besides the 80s soundtrack. I think the story is very refreshing, and I'm so used to modern day comedies with mediocre story lines. Tootsie seems like a movie that could be re-made today and still be AWESOME. Acting was top notch from everyone especially Dustin Hoffman....and I always love looking at old NYC and what it used to look like. Highly recommended if you are in the mood for a fun comedy!

• Jun 02, 2020

Good movie. Hoffman is great, Lange is beautiful, makeup is so convincing, has a strong message about sexism in the film industry, feels ahead of its time especially now with the MeToo movement. Would definitely recommend it.

• May 26, 2020

Well. This was my first time watching Tootsie. And boy is it a ride. It's a really good film! What a fun story, and what great acting from Dustin Hoffman. This must have been a hard movie for him to do, having to play two different characters, but it was superbly well done! I really loved the story and it was so awkward and very funny! Will watch again!

• May 07, 2020

This film goes well above and beyond its drag queen premise. It has a reason to be this way, it has a reason to tell a blossoming love story, and it has a reason to make some gender societal commentaries. The direction work and cast chemistry are stellar.

• Apr 25, 2020

AFI 100 Greatest Films - #62: Tootsie would have likely ruined Mrs. Doubtfire for me had I seen this as a child but I also doubt I would have appreciated this film as much at that time either. The script is solid and, while funny, it successfully avoids leaning too heavily into the obvious punchlines and cliches a plot such as this serves up, offering a bit more meaning and heart than I expected. The acting is top notch all around and the climax earns a solid ten for execution and payoff.