Trainspotting - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Trainspotting Reviews

September 9, 2017
my favourite movie and book. <3
½ September 4, 2017
It's not an enjoyable movie to watch, but that's intentional.
½ August 25, 2017
Outstanding, funny, disturbing and well written.
August 22, 2017
Brilliant British cinema.
August 15, 2017
It's been over 13 years since the release of the first Trainspotting film, and the cult following that it has gained over the years is absolutely tremendous, at least for hardcore film fanatics. Quote honestly, this is a film that has gotten much better with age in my opinion, due to the fact that you can see how far we've come as a society since these events and how differently the drug scene has altered through the years. Trainspotting is quite the eye-opener of a movie and there will be many people that either just don't get it, or are too disgusted with the themes it chooses to present on-screen. These are just my updated thoughts, because unless you're someone trying to break into the industry, I can't see this film expanding its already existing fanbase anytime soon.

When it comes to movies that have the guts to explore very tough things in our everyday lives, I can respect it right off the bat. On top of that, there is something very realistic about low-budget films that do exactly that, because it feels more grounded in reality, instead of overblown on a large scale. Trainspotting is a film about friendship, life, drugs, and the hardships that all three of those come with. That story is still very much relevant today and it's crazy to see how accurately made this film was when looking back at what certain parts of the world were like when this movie was made. If for nothing else, this is a movie that delivers fantastic messages and lessons about life itself.

I'm not one to turn away when imagery is too graphic or realistic to look at, but there are quite a few moments showcased throughout the duration of this film that borderline made me queasy. Trainspotting isn't exactly one of the most quality films out there, but it's definitely one of the best films in terms of blatantly showing things that you don't expect in a feature film. I don't have much to complain about here, but I'll say that if you haven't scene this film yet (and are intending to), I strong recommend being ready for anything to be thrown at you.

What makes this film so likeable is the cast, hands down. Yes, the cinematography and editing styles are tremendously unique, but the cast pays off each other very well. You truly believe that these guys are friends and enemies all at once. Some have better relations that others and each and every one of them seem to be invested in their respective roles. Trainspotting is an eye-opening film about the world, but it's justas much about friendship and whether or not friends can stay together during dire circumstances.

In the end, this review exists to tell people that Trainspotting is still as relevant as it used to be, because you can look back and see how society has both positively and negatively evolved since then. The themes are very serious and the imagery isn't afraid to shock you, but the overall concept of the movie is well worth sitting through these elements. It's a very different film, so you have to view it with an open mind, but it really is a film lovers dream movie. I thoroughly enjoy this movie each time I watch it, and I actually think it improves with age. Trainspotting is a very solid film.
August 15, 2017
Psychedelic and suggestive, this provocative narrative on the youthful subculture of drugs and crime expresses a longing for an inert freedom. It's a masterful yet appropriately messy way of dealing with such commentary. The performances are excellent and the dialogue has no shame.
½ August 13, 2017
I guess I just don't see the Brilliance of this film... but in all fairness sometimes I don't know what the heck is being said with all the strong Scottish accents.
August 11, 2017
Danny Boyle's breakthrough film, Trainspotting shows us how drugs can affect a person's personality and health conditions. Also boosts an incredible soundtrack and performance by Ewan McGregor
August 1, 2017
I may have seen it, or parts of it, a long time ago, but I can't remember much at all so maybe I just never got to see it.

Four friends, all into hard drugs are living a shabby life in Edinburgh, and we witness their lives and addiction. Stuff happen, most of them crime related and heroin is key in most scenes. Interesting film, not as dirty or nasty as I thought in forehand, except a few scenes. It looks cool, great colors, nice closeups, the pacing is also very nice. A funny undertone, making it more entertaining and not as dark as drug movies tend to be. On the other hand, they really should be dark.

Great statements, those words in the beginning and the end is brilliant. Other scenes like when characters are coming off drugs or just chatting about stuff is great. Few, if any, poor moments here! Nice characters, great performances, but I have seen better drug movies - this is a bit too gentle.

Looking forward to the follow up, even if I'm sure it will be several notches below this quality.

8 out of 10 public restrooms.
July 29, 2017
A different mood, a humor that comes from pure disgrace and is transmuted to create comic, absurd, intelligent situations, containing criticisms, great character constructions and an editing and editing that so the tone of British humor that certainly inspired the films of Edgar Wright and Darren Aronofsky's "Requiem for a Dream" - both great directors in the new generation - so "Trainspotting" has its charm. With a linear but completely crazy script that abstracts within its paranoia a story that tries to develop and hangs, tries and stops, and in the end, it walks, the lack of development of the story is compensated with a great development of the characters, the whole The main class of the film is well-crafted, even if it's for seconds, we do not have that ghost-member story, they're all understandable, with unique and completely clinging personalities and worldviews. We have the story of Renton (Ewan McGregor), an inconsequential young adult who lives a broken life, heroin addicted and practicing lawlessness to keep up the habit and life, which has a gang of friends in the best club style of the 5, we see the Dramas and anxieties of all, until they are solved by practicing a coup, reading like this, seems a drama, but make no mistake, the dramatic tone of the script is compensated by the great and hilarious direction of the film. The message here is very clear: Do not use drugs, not because you will enter a world without return, but because it will temporarily sink, and this temporary can be forever, confused, but the film explains, we also have a criticism of the abandonment of Addicted and even a questioning about friendship, and a conjecture about the importance of social contact, our character might be better if he did not force himself to submit to this contact to help his friends. The technique applied, and very well applied here by the beginning director Danny Boyle, we have a fast and fleeting assembly, alienated with a series of cuts and different plans that pass, euphoria, sadness, depression, joy and solitude, the director knows how to use in the Different scenes, as for example in the trips of Reanton, where we have several quick cuts to pass its euphoria, and open plans to pass its solitude and closes to pass the climate of its degradation, all this in a scene. Consequently we have a great mix of sound and a soundtrack that mixes from this pop to classical music, and this mix is ??great and talks to every feeling of the montage. All the performances here, no exceptions are wonderful, all the actors seem to have been born for the role and could not be different, it would be ridiculous to quote everyone, but they all perform completely wonderful performances. The film has problems, of course, is not perfect, the lack of direction in its script is one of them, but it is a great film, which attracts generations for its aesthetics and attracted me by its direction and performances, is said young classic.
July 29, 2017
One of the best junkie flick, with Obi Wan no less...
July 14, 2017
One of the best movies of the 90's, "Trainspotting" is subversive, hilarious in some moments, eletric and, the most important, different. Ewan McGregor gives a career-defining performance in this movie, which hold one of the best non-original soundtracks of all time and still is considered a huge classic and one of the best movies about drugs ever!
July 11, 2017
One of a kind. So this is about a group of Scottish friends, some of which shoot heroin. When Renton (Ewan McGregor) decides to kick the habit, it shakes up the dynamic of the group in more ways than one. Now this has been a favorite of mine for quite some time. It's Danny Boyle's sophomore film if you don't count made-for-TV movies, and it showcases how immensely talented he is. It's a cult classic, and it's not soon to be forgotten. It's been over two decades now, and upon an overdue revisit, I have to say that it has stood the test of time famously. Now if this is your first time watching this for some reason, the one thing that you have to know going into this is that subtitles are absolutely, positively 100% mandatory for your initial viewing. I personally don't need them anymore because I've seen this about a dozen times throughout the years, but that doesn't change the fact that the Scottish dialects are as thick as can be, and you will only catch 30 - 40 percent of the spoken dialogue if you decide to go without. Just do yourself a favor and smash that option on your DVD/Blu-ray player when you insert the disc, because otherwise, you will fail at understanding Begbie's foul mouth. Everything about this movie works together. The direction is spectacular, and Danny Boyle isn't afraid to get weird (i.e. the toilet scene, the baby scene). The acting is terrific, and because of that, you are always able to place yourself in the junkie mindset. The soundtrack is stellar, and it is absolutely one of my all time favorites as it stands on its own merits. In addition to that, the story is also well told, and while it does show you the horrific lows of heroin usage, it also shows you the highs as well. It makes its point in that if there weren't any positives to heroin usage, these men wouldn't be doing it in the first place. There's not a ton I can say about Trainspotting that hasn't been said before me, as it is adored by both fans and critics alike. The cinematography is outstanding, and it is funny as can be when it isn't showcasing the horrors of drug abuse. It moves super fast, and at a brief 94 minutes, it is over before you know it. I personally love this movie, and while it may not be for everybody, it is perfect for its intended audience.
½ July 7, 2017
A who's who of future Scottish Hollywood stars Including a stunning Kelly MaGregor.
July 2, 2017
Something like the Pulp Fiction stuff : So famous,everybody says its remarkable...But its nothing but a shit... It has a good message ok but what else? We know all about this shit,hear something like that everyday...
June 29, 2017
This dark comedy gives a chillingly realistic, but not judgmental look into drug addiction. Ewan McGregor's performance and Danny Boyle's direction only enhance the experience.
June 25, 2017
One of the best movies, about junkies, ever made. Maybe even the best one!
June 25, 2017
trainspotting represents some of the most interesting character profiles created by danny boyle, and fittingly is is his breakthrough film and also his best. Funny , Brutal , Thought provoking and stellar performaces by a excellent cast
½ June 7, 2017
Excellent on every front
½ May 22, 2017
Chaotic, part downward spiral and part fun, likable characters. Hard to watch at time, but worth a watch.