Trance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Trance Reviews

½ December 9, 2016
This psychological heist thriller may be trippy to a fault, but Boyle's trademark visual panache saves the day. Reminds me of Inception and Looper.
December 6, 2016
Incomprehensible, boring garbage. James McAvoy is basically the only highlight of the film.
½ November 23, 2016
Trance is a tornado of plot, visuals, and characters; all guided with the kaleidescope ADHD vision of Boyle.
August 13, 2016
Confusing. Not for me.
July 26, 2016
***
Although convoluted and overly adult at points, Trance does support tons of style from director Danny Boyle and great performances from all cast members involved, particularly that of James McAvoy.
July 6, 2016
Almost forgot how much I enjoy Danny Boyle and his team style of storytelling. Great movie with lots of layers and quality cinematography.
½ June 28, 2016
Trance is directed by Danny Boyle, and it stars James McAvoy, Vincent Cassel, and Rosario Dawson in a psychological thriller about a group of people who were trying to steal a painting, but when they thought they were successful, the painting is not there, and the person who had the painting first, doesn't remember as one of the guys knock him out with amnesia. So they get a hypnotist to get him into his own mind so that he can find the missing memory that locates the painting. I was a little worried when director teams up with co-writer John Hodges again after the last film they create together called The Beach which I heard bad things about, but I was interested too because of the premise as I have not quite see something like this before. I remember liking it, but it's been years since I've seen it, so I wouldn't know if it holds up. Turns out, I thought it was a very underrated film. James McAvoy is terrific in this, and Vincent Cassel was not far behind from him. There are a lot of stylish moments in it, and with so much hypnotize scenes, I wasn't quite sure about whether it's reality or not. I know people say that it's thinly written, but I didn't see that from the film. It has many twist and turns that were effective to me that I found it unexpected. When the movie goes on, it gets more interesting. The score is really good, and I like the characters in this, even though I could've use a little more character development on the supporting characters as they don't have much purpose other then being part of the group. The camerawork is impressive to look at, and it goes by pretty quickly. Trance is a really great film that is better than I thought was going to be from critics.
½ June 25, 2016
Pretty solid cerebral thriller type thing. The space in between the suspenseful bits isn't quite filled in enough to be really great.
May 16, 2016
6/10 Interesting concept, not so good execution.
March 27, 2016
Lo que somos es la suma de todo lo que hemos hecho, dicho y sentido... todo unido en una única cadena que se revisa y se recuerda constantemente. Así que para ser tú mismo tienes que recordarte constantemente.
½ February 28, 2016
This was one of the... "weirdest & strangest" films that I have seen in some time... was having a real hard time telling what was real... i.e. Sucker Punch.
½ January 7, 2016
Despite being utterly captivating to look at thanks to its unique style and direction you kind of notice that deep down Trance actually doesn't have all that much of a story to it. underneath all the clever subterfuge, camera angles, colour saturation and general mindfuckery is a pretty simplistic story. But it's still a Danny Boyle film, so expect a very stylish made 90 minutes if nothing else.
December 5, 2015
Rosario is the finest woman on earth!!!
½ November 24, 2015
Could be more interesting
November 13, 2015
So, the reason I was really interested in this was the cast. I really like James McAvoy, Rosario Dawson, and Vincent Cassel separately, but I didn't see in my brain how the three of them would all fit in the same movie. And in a way, I was right, but I also think that was maybe the point? I'm completely guessing, but the three of them never fit together perfectly, which worked for the characters, in my opinion. The movie itself staggers along as blindly as its main character, but in a way, that also worked. But, what I can say with complete confidence is that the stylization of this is really cool. It looks great. The plot is also really interesting. There was just one too many twists and turns for me. So, overall, director Danny Boyle had me kind of scratching my head. Which is maybe what he intended? So, maybe I'm actually complimenting him and calling him a genius.
November 8, 2015
A great story that keeps you gripped and guessing right until the end. James McAvoy plays the bumbling fool role really well again - similar to Wanted
November 8, 2015
It was alright ... Bit confusing but nice one.
½ October 26, 2015
one of Danny Boyle's weaker films.
½ October 25, 2015
Watching this unbelievably muddled and convoluted story unfold and then watching it wriggle whilst it took time to unravel leaves one feeling that it wasn't as smart as it thought it was and after such a struggle it still managed to leave its all too many untidy loose ends just dangling.