Trance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Trance Reviews

August 6, 2017
Another goodun from Danny Boyle. Nicely twisting plot..a little confusing, but then I think that is the whole point. Boyle doesn't want you to understand (or is it remember..) whats going on until he lets you in on the game and how its played. Good casting here...and everyone does a great job with their respective roles. The mish mash of reality and 'in trance' was nicely done and definitely subtle. The transitions weren't obvious and I think this gave you the same sense of paranoia/delusion that Simon (McAvoy) is meant to be feeling. Good job all round, but.....I think I need to see it again.
June 29, 2017
Esse quebra cabeça nos proporciona uma atividade cerebral constante em indas e vidas permanece sempre o mistério do que e real ou imaginação. O problema e o excesso, os criadores se empolgam nas muitas voltas que o filme da, e no final algumas das voltas parece implausível dependendo do que você acredita que realmente aconteceu.
June 10, 2017
Trance is a decent little thriller but it can't help being one of Danny Boyle's weakest. It has a great concept and is full of neat little ideas but at times the story is very confusing and it also can feel it's just trying to be too clever and doesn't really pay off. The acting is pretty good, especially from James McAvoy and Vincent Cassel
May 28, 2017
Intense psychological drama with a surprise ending. Rosario Dawson is a psychologist who specializes in hypnosis. She gets involved in a art heist to find a missing painting that was stolen. It's a bit confusing at first because there are several twists and turns but a great film nonetheless.
May 18, 2017
El equivalente aún vídeo loquendo explicando que es un Deus ex machina
½ May 8, 2017
A very, very good movie that was pretty confusing and got me thinking I loved it.
April 19, 2017
Out of ordinary, fast and fun.
½ December 9, 2016
This psychological heist thriller may be trippy to a fault, but Boyle's trademark visual panache saves the day. Reminds me of Inception and Looper.
December 6, 2016
Incomprehensible, boring garbage. James McAvoy is basically the only highlight of the film.
½ November 23, 2016
Trance is a tornado of plot, visuals, and characters; all guided with the kaleidescope ADHD vision of Boyle.
August 13, 2016
Confusing. Not for me.
July 26, 2016
***
Although convoluted and overly adult at points, Trance does support tons of style from director Danny Boyle and great performances from all cast members involved, particularly that of James McAvoy.
July 6, 2016
Almost forgot how much I enjoy Danny Boyle and his team style of storytelling. Great movie with lots of layers and quality cinematography.
½ June 28, 2016
Trance is directed by Danny Boyle, and it stars James McAvoy, Vincent Cassel, and Rosario Dawson in a psychological thriller about a group of people who were trying to steal a painting, but when they thought they were successful, the painting is not there, and the person who had the painting first, doesn't remember as one of the guys knock him out with amnesia. So they get a hypnotist to get him into his own mind so that he can find the missing memory that locates the painting. I was a little worried when director teams up with co-writer John Hodges again after the last film they create together called The Beach which I heard bad things about, but I was interested too because of the premise as I have not quite see something like this before. I remember liking it, but it's been years since I've seen it, so I wouldn't know if it holds up. Turns out, I thought it was a very underrated film. James McAvoy is terrific in this, and Vincent Cassel was not far behind from him. There are a lot of stylish moments in it, and with so much hypnotize scenes, I wasn't quite sure about whether it's reality or not. I know people say that it's thinly written, but I didn't see that from the film. It has many twist and turns that were effective to me that I found it unexpected. When the movie goes on, it gets more interesting. The score is really good, and I like the characters in this, even though I could've use a little more character development on the supporting characters as they don't have much purpose other then being part of the group. The camerawork is impressive to look at, and it goes by pretty quickly. Trance is a really great film that is better than I thought was going to be from critics.
½ June 25, 2016
Pretty solid cerebral thriller type thing. The space in between the suspenseful bits isn't quite filled in enough to be really great.
May 16, 2016
6/10 Interesting concept, not so good execution.
March 27, 2016
Lo que somos es la suma de todo lo que hemos hecho, dicho y sentido... todo unido en una única cadena que se revisa y se recuerda constantemente. Así que para ser tú mismo tienes que recordarte constantemente.
½ February 28, 2016
This was one of the... "weirdest & strangest" films that I have seen in some time... was having a real hard time telling what was real... i.e. Sucker Punch.
½ January 7, 2016
Despite being utterly captivating to look at thanks to its unique style and direction you kind of notice that deep down Trance actually doesn't have all that much of a story to it. underneath all the clever subterfuge, camera angles, colour saturation and general mindfuckery is a pretty simplistic story. But it's still a Danny Boyle film, so expect a very stylish made 90 minutes if nothing else.