Transformers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Transformers Reviews

July 24, 2017
Firstly, the CGI is excellent and rather astonishing at how good it looks being at being this moment in time a decade old. The performances are good, LaBeouf was rather perfect playing the awkward teen, but Fox is miscast and the chemistry just isn't here between the two. The sheer amount of audacious sub-plots in this film is overwhelming. If it would've just focused on either the military aspect or Sam Witwicky I think the film would've been far smoother and better produced story wise. Credit where credits due with Bay actually pulling this film off and the entertainment value alone is extraordinary.
½ July 21, 2017
Love Transformers. Great movie, action, funny, witty, and story. Definitely my favorite and best of the franchises movies.
July 15, 2017
With action-packed battle sequences, a nearly flawless plot, and many memorable moments, TRANSFORMERS is the best film you can ask of director Michael Bay.
July 13, 2017
Great beginning to the franchise.
July 12, 2017
This movie is just great. Even though there are some nitpicking with this movie, all in all, the original Bayformers installment is just great. It may not be the best as the 1986 movie, but the movie is still great.
July 10, 2017
Not my cup of tea albeit some of it's exhilirating action scenes. It's like watching CGI barfing all over the screen and it's bad pacing makes it dragged down as an action movie. It might be a movie for time-passing but the performances are cringe-worthy and I will also hate on this movie for forming the most worst summer franchise of all time that still gets all the money.

So... Eww? (might seem a bit too harsh for some other audiences but I believe it deserves this on my part)
½ July 4, 2017
Michael Bay's Transformers (2007) is a terrible film. Shrill in every regard, overlong, and stuffed to the brim with hollow characters in contrived high-octane situations; Transformers aims for non-stop action, but fails to understand its limits and boundaries. Every bit as obnoxious as it is exhausting.
July 1, 2017
best transformers movie in the francrise. if you are a transformers, there is a very high chance you will like it. awesome action throughtout. there are many good things about these movie. i loved it.
July 1, 2017
Excellent start to this old franchise
½ June 30, 2017
Very well made film, with laughs and lots of action
June 30, 2017
I loved it, but four problems. Boring start, disgusting why sam was being a flirty, the military's scenes, were better than the robots scenes. And last but stupidity not least, the end. Megatron had more action than optimus.
June 30, 2017
Transformers may boast a preposterous storyline and some half-assed attempts at humour but it also remains a surprisingly enjoyable film. This is as good a place as any to start in terms of Michael Bay-directed films. I'll have you know, this is my first Bay film...as a director, of course meaning that the Ninja Turtles reboot series doesn't count. The special effects are freakin' amazing, the action sequences are mind-blowingly awesome with kudos being given to Bay for the epic final 20-minute long action sequence. Fans of the original Transformers cartoon will be happy to know that the guy who voiced Optimus Prime in that cartoon reprises his role in this film. Note that I am not familiar with the original TV series itself. I just learned that Optimus is voiced by the same guy from the cartoon in multiple Transformers-related media including the live-action films. Shia LaBeouf's performance is somewhat amusing and Megan Fox has sex appeal which the guys who wrote the script also felt compelled to insert within the actual film. Don't know what I mean? Watch the film, you'll figure it out. Hugo Weaving does a good job of voicing Megatron despite Megatron's own lack of screen time since the character was frozen for many years. Transformers is not perfect but it still manages to live up to its potential of busting blocks (capiche?) to remain one of director Michael Bay's better films...I think, this is my first Bay film as I said before. I don't know about his other directorial efforts but I hear Revenge of the Fallen was such a crapfest even Bay and Shia disliked it. And believe me, the former really doesn't care about the reviews as long as his films make tons of money at the box office since you're easily tempted to watch a film about robots beating the crap out of other robots while everything goes up in flames.
June 29, 2017
A funny and enjoyable movie if you're looking at it as anything but a Transformers movie. The actual characters this movie is named after are left almost as side characters while the audience is stuck with an over-hyped and love-struck high school boy and his annoying parents. However, the final act of the movie offers an exciting and action packed conclusion to the movie which is more memorable than what it had building up to it.
½ June 28, 2017
Michael Bay: lowering IQ's since 1995.
June 27, 2017
This movies awesome and Michael Bays best
June 26, 2017
With the release release of the fifth installment in the extremely profitable yet critically maligned 'Transformers' franchise - 'Transformers: The Last Knight' - let's take a road trip to July 2007 and examine the film that began the worldwide phenomenon. Titled simply 'Transformers', the first film in director Michael Bay's loud and fast franchise suffers from a lot of the same issues that plague the later movies in the series, but at least manages to breathe life into a beloved cartoon franchise in a unique way.

Chief among the issues that plague Michael Bay's 'Transformers' movies is the amount of time spent focusing on the human characters instead of the titular robots, and the first film in the franchise does not escape this issue. Instead of using the entirety of the films screen time to highlight the story of the massive metal monsters, the audience is "treated" to a story revolving around a set of human characters with the Transformers taking something of a backseat in their own movie. While the human element provides characters that the audience can relate to, most fans and critics alike agreed that the movie would have benefited from far less human screen time and far more Transformer time. The fact is that moviegoers paid money to see Transformers transform and fight - not humans running around.

There is something of a "saving grace" in regard to the humans, however, in the form of Shia LaBeouf's Sam Witwicky. LaBeouf delivers his lines in exactly the type of way you would expect a quick-thinking high school junior would, and his timing and expressions inject an over-the-top yet surprising genuine sense of humor and wittiness into the film. The films other human lead, Megan Fox's Mikayla Banes, does a fine job in her role as well, although it is obvious that her occasionally over-sexualized character is just there to draw in an audience. The rest of the human cast - Josh Duhamel, John Turturro, Rachael Taylor, Anthony Anderson, and Jon Voight, among others, all do fine but don't offer anything particularly substantial or fresh to the movie.

As for the Transformers featured in the film, a few stand out while the others all blend together into a pile of metal in the background. Peter Cullen - voice of Optimus Prime in the original cartoon series - lends his voice to the same character here, and does so in spectacular fashion. Prime is easily the most recognizable Transformer in the movie - part of the reason being Cullen's deep and commanding voice that fits the character so well. Opposite Cullen's Optimus Prime is Hugo Weaving's Megatron as the primary antagonist, and while we don't get to spend too much time with him, Weaving makes him feel menacing and iconic. Bumblebee is the other Transformer that stands out, acting as Sam Witwicky's guardian throughout the movie, and although he doesn't technically speak, he's the emotional core of the Transformers team - evident through his expressions and softer facial design.

Speaking of character design, this iteration of Transformers is vastly different from every other version seen to-date. Whereas the classic and modern cartoons and toys have typically featured robots made up of simpler geometric shapes, Bay and his team of mad scientists have come up with far more complex designs for their versions of these characters. While the idea is sound - if cars, trucks, and planes had the ability to transform into giant robots, they'd have millions of individual parts to consider and showcase - it may not have been the best idea to make this concept a reality. Due to the extremely complicated design of the characters it is often difficult to tell exactly who or what you're looking at, and near impossible during all the action sequences in the film. It tends to just look like a lot of scrap metal flying around aimlessly while characters make stupid jokes. 'Transformers' is not driven by plot or character development, but instead the desire to put cool action sequences on film. Unfortunately, it doesn't even do that very well.

At the very least, Bay's 'Transformers' and its many sequels offer fans of these characters a unique version of the franchise to watch and more toys to buy. Ultimately, however, that fact doesn't transform this movie into anything more than the pile of scrap metal that it is. ?? 2/5
June 25, 2017
The best live action Transformers movie.
June 25, 2017
Wow! The fans of Transformers from back in the day will not be disappointed. I went into it with no expectations and it was one of the most fun and enjoyable movies I've seen. The effects and action scenes were unbelievable and it was hilarious. Brought back so much memories from my youth. Not only the best blockbuster film of the summer, but the best movie I've seen this year. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie where the entire theatre applauded at the end. I've watched it twice in the span of 24 hours and it's just as great the second time.
June 25, 2017
Loud, dumb and just flat out boring. Transformers may not be a truly awful film but it is certainly a bad one. Filled with incoherent action sequences, poorly developed characters, racist stereotypes, unfunny comedy and overly long running time and horribly desaturated colour grading and cinematography. There are impressive special effects, a couple of admittedly funny moments and a decent score but it's not enough to make the film good. Not awful, but not good. C-
June 25, 2017
Considering the source material and Michael Bay at the helm, this film delivers a fun loving action film. This is the first and only good Transformers film and it's a shame as the foundation was built here to create some new and interesting sequels. The story is a messy but a bunch of robots disguised as cars was never going to win an Oscar, I think the all spark idea was fitting and was a worthy idea for kicking off the franchise. The overall tone of the film is what gives the film a distinct visual separation to other films, Bay can really shoot the hell out a scene, he would make a fantastic DOP, just not a director. This was a beloved cartoon series that I adored and still do, even if the quality of each film diminishes with each subsequent movie. The latest film came out to horrendous reviews after a writers room fleshed out a new direction for the franchise, this is appalling, if true. This film is the simple direction and while it's not the greatest movie made, it has a lot of redeeming qualities, the voice acting and the cast are all fun. 26-06-2017.