Transformers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Transformers Reviews

½ January 13, 2017
This movie for the first real life transformers movie I found it pretty good and I just wish that Bumblebee was not taken and I did not Really like prime fot some reason but I thought the movie was amazing
½ January 5, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 3, 2017
Great movie i just think that it has some plot holes.
December 26, 2016
Great characters, but story and action doesn't match the ambitious heights of the third and fourth entries
December 10, 2016
In Bay's infamous trilogy, the start isn't too shabby.

Long ago, on the planet of Cybertron, a massive, powerful alien race divided into two factions, the noble Autobots, and the devious Decepticons. They fought for the sole access to a talisman known as the Allspark, a cube with the capacity to grant infinite power, and eventually the Autobots smuggled it off the planet's surface, hiding it in an unknown location on Earth. Now, hundreds of years later, the Decepticons have come looking for it, and if the Autobots don't find it first, the Earth will be enslaved or destroyed by the evil aliens' use of its massive power. The Autobots don't know where the cube was hidden, but the information may be stored in the most unlikely of sources, as a young Earthling named Sam Witwicky (LaBeouf) who's just picked up his first car, has a strange connection to the Allspark's history, making him the unlikely ally of these enormous creatures, as they fight for humankind's survival and the chance to return home.

Although the Transformers franchise is becoming notoriously hated (courtesy of Michael Bay), I haven't hated the movies as much as everyone else has, and I'm certainly a fan of a couple of the films. Most notably, I'm actually a strong believer that this movie is a solid film overall, even if it's far from perfect.

One thing you can rely on in "Transformers" films are amazing special effects. The special effects team and editors need to be applauded. I mean, the transformers look amazing and it actually looks like they're there. I think it was a mix between practical and special effects, but everything really does look amazing. In a movie that's so sci-fi heavy, it's important that the visuals look good, and they certainly look great here. Everything from the robots, to the way they actually transform all look spectacular and realistic.

Now on the other hand, the practical effects are a whole nother thing. Michael Bay is infamous for his overuse of explosions, and unnecessary firework explosions. Look, all the explosions that he and his stunt team create are pretty fantastic, but they need to make sense. There are some situations where explosions are happening in places that they shouldn't be and it just looks like it's meant for style over substance. By doing something so much, it loses its value and impression on people. By putting explosions and firework explosions in every shot, it starts to get boring after a while. However, it's not as bad in this movie as it is in others, so I'll give him that.

Now, Shia LaBeouf has garned a lot of hate since this film, mostly from his off screen actions. However, I honestly love him as an actor and I think that he's put on some pretty great performances. I love seeing this guy on screen and I think he did exactly what he was asked to do, plus more. Shia has garned hate for his performances in these movies because they're not highly regarded overall, but when you put these together with his performances from other films, you can recognize that he's actually got a lot of talent. Megan Fox is fine I guess, but Bay puts her more in the role of eye candy rather than an actual character. It's a shame because she's not a terrible actress, even if her reputation speaks otherwise. I also appreciate the voice actors for the transformers, as they do capture the essence of each character really well. Everyone else in this movie did a fine job, with the only real loose end being John Turturro's character. He progressively gets worse throughout the films, although he is more tamed in this film.

The story is fun and exciting overall, and I think it makes for a decent kids movie. The "Transformers" franchise takes on this more goofy and ridiculous tone, which makes it more of a kids film. I like the story, as it's the most plausible out of the four films, but it's not the strongest overall. It's a solid and simple screenplay that introduces us to the world of Transformers.

One thing Bay struggles mightily with in his movies is continuity. Whether it's through chain of events, dialogue, or just the time of day, he struggles in favor of style over substance. Because I swear, the more sunset shots I see from Bay, the crazier I get. He's so obsessed with putting in these "beautiful" looking sun set drops, which is fine, but they're inserted at random times, even when the sun's not going down in the film! He struggles with continuity, and he's definitely a stylized minded guy, kind of like Zack Snyder. (Don't even get me started on Snyder).

In the end, "Transformers" was a pretty solid and fun start to the franchise and brings plenty to the table.
December 7, 2016
While the desperate attempts to contrast the human characters from the robots forced the film to take on more than the necessary number of directions for the film on reaching an ultimate solution, along with a few weak robot designs (Ratchet, Frenzy, Starscream) not being as strong as the super robot designs (Optimus, Bumblebee, Megatron, Blackout) the film is saved by effective special effects, a strong soundtrack and of course the Transformers battles and vehicle changes. In my memory, only Transformers 1 happened. After Sam used the AllSpark to fry Megatron, he died permanently and Jazz is the only tragedy, the Autobots didn't lose Ironhide or Ratchet in Dark of the Moon or Age of Extinction.
jamrcla
½ December 6, 2016
Really enjoyed this movie, Effects were masterclass, Had some great action even if sometimes it's hard to see and I didn't really care for most of the human cast as all the films best moments were in the action.
December 5, 2016
Greatest transformers.
December 2, 2016
???? Still one of my favorite movies. A classic in the genre. One of the firsts of its kind.
November 28, 2016
I liked the battle between megatron and optimus prime it was amazing his Jet form was cool there bringing it back in transformers 5
November 26, 2016
It was the best transformers can't wait for number 5
½ November 24, 2016
Despite the fact that I've never really liked Shia LaBeouf, this movie was very enjoyable and gave some good nostalgia from the original cartoon.
½ November 12, 2016
one thing to say about this movie is that it's better than it's unnecessary and fucking awful sequels. the reason I decided to talk about these movies is because transformers: the last knight is hitting theaters next summer. Shia LaBeouf plays the main human character in transformers and although his character is annoying at times, he could definitely be worse. An Autobot character I thought was wasted was Jazz. he did get some lines and at the final battle is killed by Megatron. another character I thought was wasted was Barricade, who is like the Decepticon version of Bumblebee. other than those nitpicks, it's still worth watching.

Owens grade: A
November 11, 2016
love it awesome movie
½ November 6, 2016
Transformers is a very good movie full of action, sufficient background story about the Autobots, Decepticons and their home planet Cybertron. Yet, I think it looks like it has some plot holes or lack of complete details. Shia LeBeouf en Megan Fox portray their respective characters Sam Witwicky and Mikaela Banes very well and full of heart. What's also nice and beuatiful to see, is just how the movie end. Captain Lennox goes back to his wife and child. And Sam and Mikaela start a relatioship while Optimus sends a message into space to invite some other Autobots to join them on Earth. After seeing two of three current sequels,I still think this is the best Transformers movie to date. I rate it 3,5 stars and give it an 8.
½ November 1, 2016
Besides the rude humor in it, this movie is very good. It has a climactic ending, the song by LINKIN PARK (I think it's all capitalized) is AMAZING. I love this movie, I also like (be prepared).... Revenge of the Fallen. This movie is great.
October 29, 2016
"Transformers" is definitely Michael Bay's finest film. No, it's not a smart movie, or a well written one, but it certainly has some qualities, and one can hardly deny that it's fairly entertaining. In an academic and filmic sense, the film is deliberately floored on nearly all levels: poor acting performances, weak script, and unsatisfactory direction. However, it's a dazzling summer blockbuster that can give you the slightest bit of goosebumps when the computer generated imagery action sequences come into the picture.
October 26, 2016
Really liked the first movie before Michael bay went off and made like 4 other movies that no one can tell apart.
October 23, 2016
Loved it. Really fun movie to watch.
October 23, 2016
So well done, great writing and story, humorous, an A+ for an action super hero type movie, i usually dislike those kind of flicks but this one is well worth it.