Trapeze Reviews

• Aug 02, 2017

Lancaster,Curtis and Lollobrigida as a trio of trapeze flyers.Young Curtis wants to learn the famous triple somersault from old vet Lancaster,who's crippled from a fatal fall.In comes Lollobrigida making trouble for the two flyers both on the ground and in the air. One of the most enjoyable films about life under the big top.The trio of stars deliver sock performances worthy of their star status.Carol Reed's direction of the triple somersault is breathtakingly staged.Don't miss this one.

• Jul 07, 2015

A colorful, melodramatic love triangle set against the backdrop of a prestigious Paris Circus. Although rather predictable & very Hollywood in its nature the color is beautiful & striking. The story basically revolves around the greatest trapeze artist not long after his near fatal blow trying to perform the coveted triple flip. He takes on a young with much promise before the lady comes on the scene & tensions mount. Nothing original story wise but the backdrop of the circus is great. It's fun & exciting film.

• Oct 19, 2014

Fun, gripping and sizzling with chemistry between all of the leads!

Fun, gripping and sizzling with chemistry between all of the leads!

• Mar 09, 2014

Pretty standard Hollywood fare improved by some great cinematography of the aerialists and a focus on the training and hard work that go into circus performing.

• Apr 22, 2013

Carol Reed directed this circus story involving a love triangle between former trapeze great, Burt Lancaster, and his portage, Tony Curtis, and love interest Gina Lollobrigida. It's a smart story and is a better than average love triangle that is more complicated than two men vying for the love of the same woman. Although the story could have been transplanted to just about any setting, the circus always seems like a silly setting to me for film (outside of horror films like "Freaks" or "Funhouse"), but it does seem to work here and I do prefer this film to DeMille's overblown "The Greatest Show on Earth" that was release four years before this one. And one interesting bit of trivia, in real life, Lancaster performed in the circus before going in to acting and he took the opportunity to do perform all of his own students in this film.

• Apr 26, 2012

Burt Lancaster and tony Curtis fly through the air with the greatest of ease in this big top adventure. Plot centres around Curtis doing a triple on the trapeze and several love interests. Sid James also pops up as a snake charmer

• Feb 24, 2012

I've never much liked circuses, clowns, lion tormentors or sad bears riding bikes, so "Trapeze" may not seem like the perfect film for me. It started off looking like Rocky for trapeze artists, but then it became a drawn-out love triangle, wobbled around in the middle 20 minutes longer than it needed to, and by the end I was pretty much shouting "come on Tony, do the triple and let's go home". Not bad, not good, but very middling.

• Feb 04, 2012

I must admit, with some guilt, that I found this rather enjoyable. Sure, it's predictable and fraught with melodrama, but the cast carries it well. I'm still a little surprised that Carol Reed directed a circus movie.

• Jan 07, 2012

Burt Lancaster is excellent in this oft forgotten Carol Reed film.

Burt Lancaster is excellent in this oft forgotten Carol Reed film.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Aug 20, 2011

Lancaster and Curtis team up in Paris to try and attempt the very difficult triple somersault on the trapeze AND Gina Lollobrigida. It's circus life menage á trois with a side order of melodrama. Interesting yet unengaging.