Triumph of the Spirit Reviews

• Dec 28, 2014

Wow, I'm shocked by the reviews, I must had miss something. I really enjoyed this movie. The only reason I'm giving this a 4 and not 5 because of what the reviews are saying which make me feel like must had miss something. I see not one single 4. The highest was a 3 and a half. And Roger gave it an 1 star. I don't know. I enjoyed this movie and understood the message unlike some people. You know. I'm giving a 5. The hell with you people. It's the best holocaust movie but it's also a piece of garbage. Maybe I got to see it again. I don't know. A good movie in my eyes.

• Jan 04, 2014

A very confusing film. The story does capture your attention, but it's so poorly structured and paced that you stop caring about halfway through it. Then again, Dafoe, Olmos, and Loggia give strong enough performances that you start caring again. Director Robert Young seems more interested in heaping more and more drama on top of an already tragic and terrifying story, and sometimes the punches hit a lot less strong. But in the end, the film has some moving pieces, and might keep you interested.

• Dec 08, 2012

Harrowing portrayal of life in a Nazi concentration camp during WW2, based on a true story. Interesting, engaging plot. Maybe doesn't explore the moral dilemmas of the main character thoroughly enough. Also, a bit more explanation of certain events would have been in order. Great performance from WIllem Dafoe. Decent supporting cast.

• Nov 24, 2012

Probably the first movie in which I'm seeing Willem Dafoe in a lead protagonist role. And regarding the movie, its pretty watchable and all of those jail sequences are pretty well portrayed.

• Aug 29, 2012

Bad portrayal of the atrocities and hardships that took place back then. I lost interest about half way through. Only reason i gave it 2 stars was because it was actually filmed at Auschwitz. At least they got that right!

• Jun 16, 2012

• Jun 04, 2012

• Jul 19, 2011

An important & lessar known true Story about a Jewish Boxer,Salamo Arouch, who was used by the Nazi's during WWII as a Boxer.An involved story of his Families Struggles, his personal courage, & the cruelty of the war.

• Jul 17, 2011

Another decent WWII story. Boxing actually plays very little into the plot.

Another decent WWII story. Boxing actually plays very little into the plot.

• Jan 05, 2011

Willem Dafoe fights the battle of his life as Salamo, a Greek Jew (and former champion boxer) who's incarcerated in Auschwitz by the Nazis and must defeat all comers in weekly boxing exhibitions. If he doesn't, he faces the gas chamber. Based on a true story. Also stars Robert Loggia as his father and Edward James Olmos as the gypsy who works for the Nazis. Gypsy: Listen, I'm only going to say this once. For those who can hear me tell the rest. First come the SS, our lord and masters. Then comes our block health manager, Kyr. Then come the assistants, Otto and me. Then come the rats. Then come the lice... and then come you.