Two Lovers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Two Lovers Reviews

½ August 9, 2016
A profoundly involving romantic drama that benefits from a sophisticated direction and great performances from its cast - mainly Joaquin Phoenix, who is absolutely perfect and brings this melancholy tale of depression and impulsive passion to another level.
½ September 19, 2015
loved it. everything. the script, the performances. just my type of movie
August 21, 2015
I think this grounded milieu suits Gray more than the organised crime stuff, if only for the fact that it doesn't allow him to turn it into an action movie in the third act. Though there is a surprising amount of tension in this, mostly down to the beautiful camera and exquisitely creepy sound design. My only complaint is that we're supposed to believe Vinessa Shaw is the frumpy girl starved for male attention compared to Paltrow's hot trainwreck. They both give great performances, but come on. That's pushing Hollywood Ugly beyond the limits of believability.
½ May 27, 2015
A fascinating character study with a superb lead performance from Joaquin Phoenix. Very underrated movie.
½ March 18, 2015
In this movie Joaquin Phoenix portrays almost perfectly a troubled man who's trying to get over a love trauma.
His performance is so good that the plot didn't have to be that strong.
This guy made this film one of the most entertaining of the year just with his performance.
February 9, 2015
Excellent performances and a realistic trama. Phoenix is really good, and, as always, Paltrow is majestic.
½ January 13, 2015
Good movie. great job by joaquin. didnt enjoy his character though, or the ending. but appreciated the not so typical characters and their realism. kudos to the writer and director
½ January 8, 2015
Joaquin Phoenix è un buon attore..qui incredibilmente goffo e aggrappato alla vita. Alcuni aspetti del suo personaggio (focale nel film) non sono approfonditi: quasi come se il regista se ne fosse scordato. Alcuni dialoghi lasciano a desiderare e Vinessa Shaw è più che altro bella.
January 1, 2015
A powerful quality drama romance movie with a very talent actor in the main role ,, Joaquin Phoenix. I have actually seen mostly good movies from that guy so far. He plays Leonard Kraditor , a guy with a chance of a new relationship but problem occurs when he have another girl on his mind.. We see Gwyneth Paltrow and Vinessa Shaw in the other roles and they did very good perfomances aswell. This is one the movies where its doesn't really happens to much , but a fairly good story i thought and nice acting makes its a pleasure to watch in the end.
August 17, 2014
This movie has 2 good actresses. Joaquin Phoenix ruins it with his horrible disgusting, dark, creepy awful person.
½ August 15, 2014
A few years ago, I would have only said "This is a beautifully photographed film". But, well, now?
½ June 9, 2014
Two Lovers - an interesting, introspective, slightly melancholic, mumblecore-esque look at life, love, family and relationships. Worth watching. Great acting.
May 31, 2014
In the saturated genre that is romantic dramas, Two Lovers manages to distinguish itself in a truly unique way. It's a film that has familiar elements, certainly, but an uncommon execution with both a mature sensibility and nuanced look at relationships. The result is a layered film, a powerful character study, and an intelligent exploration of the nature of loss, love, and our underlying motivations.

The film centers on Leonard Kraditor (Joaquin Phoenix), a broken, depressed man, who finds himself both courting a semi-arranged relationship by his parents, while also pursuing the equally lost but enchanting Michelle Rausch (Gwyneth Paltrow). He is thus thrust from a state of depression to one of uncertainly, but also a certain exhilaration. As the film progresses, we see the hidden vulnerabilities underlying all of the characters, making for some very fascinating dynamics. The performances are accordingly powerful, and result in a very nuanced film.

The script paints us characters that we can all relate to, if not completely identify with. It's not a drama concerned with formula or easy answers, but rather asks the question of what motivates love and, perhaps more importantly, what motivates people? Through Joaquin Phoenix we see the wild swings of love, yet also witness its resiliency in the end, or perhaps just the pragmatics that underlines so many of our choices. Through Paltrow, we see a woman who is her own worst enemy, and with Vinessa Shaw's character, we see the longing for any sort of connection. All of these dynamics interact beautifully to create a richly conveyed story.

If there's a criticism of Two Lovers, it's wanting more of an exploration of Phoenix's character, specifically his last relationship. We find out through various exchanges some of what took place, but this is never fully explored, and is certainly germane to his current state. Still, what's vital is hot so much how he arrived at this current emotional state but rather what that emotional state is, which the film achieves.

Overall a very strong romantic drama.

4/5 Stars
½ May 5, 2014
Before there was "Her", there was "Two Lovers". Another double the feelz Joaquin Phoenix movie that is ought to be heartbreaking, yet thoughtfully beautiful.
April 18, 2014
A gritty Shakespearean tragedy with a Woody Allen inspired story design and a hint of David Finchers art direction? Ugh this film is amazing. Loved every single part of it.
February 27, 2014
did anyone ever saw this film?
½ January 26, 2014
Phoenix gives an amazing performance in an otherwise somewhat garbled drama.
½ January 10, 2014
simple and compact movie with outstanding performance by Joaquin Phoenix
½ January 8, 2014
"Sometimes we leave everything to find ourselves"

Leonard es un personaje perturbado, lo sabemos por su conducta y decisiones, aunque en ningún momento se dice su diagnóstico. Todo empezó cuando su esposa lo dejó, y desde eso momento a estado viviendo con sus padres, que son amorosos y comprensivos. A través de un socio de su padre conoce a Sandra, que es comprensiva y quiere ayudarlo, y además haría la esposa perfecta. Comienzan a salir hasta que Michelle llega la vida de Leonard. Michelle es conflictiva y es obvio que también tiene demonios, y eso es lo que lo hace tan emocionante para él, porque se ve conectado con ella de esta manera. Es difícil estar en la posición de Leonard, y por lo menos yo me sentí conectada con la historia en el sentido de que a veces sabes cual es la decisión correcta para tomar, pero igualmente te saboteas a ti mismo. Two Lovers es una película desgarradora, y donde los personajes te importan hasta el punto de sentirte afectado por ellos. La historia esta contada magistralmente al igual que el guión, que es simple pero cada palabra es como un puñal. Joaquin Phoenix es para mi el actor más versátil y talentoso de estos tiempos, y interpreta a este personaje tan perturbado de una manera que creerías que en algún punto de su vida ha tenido que lidiar con esa situación, porque es tan real y te atrapa totalmente en ese papel. A la final Leonard tiene que tomar una decisión que decidirá como será si vida de ahora en adelante, pero aunque haya tomado la correcta igual cuestiono si será realmente feliz o simplemente algunas personas no están destinadas a encontrar esa felicidad porque no la pueden soportar por mucho tiempo.