Under the Skin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Under the Skin Reviews

½ October 14, 2017
My GODS this was BORING!!! And by the time she peels off her skin, does it even matter by then! The cinetography was good though. C-
October 12, 2017
Ok. Art house. Slow. Meandering exploration of.... loneliness? One of the strangest movies I have ever watched
October 4, 2017
This is clearly one of the most divisive films of the last decade. Those who don't like it seem to HATE it. Those who do like it, LOVE it. I am in the latter camp, in fact it's easily one of my favourite films of the last decade. In a sense I understand why people don't like it. It leaves most of it's major questions unanswered, and that leaves people feeling uncomfortable, and they don't like movies to make them feel uncomfortable. This is a film that builds an atmosphere through gorgeous visuals, an amazing soundtrack ... and unanswered questions. The element of mystery is part of what makes it great. It's closest touch point for me is the best work of Nicolas Roeg ,,, beautiful, somewhat frustrating and concealing vast depths under a shiny surface.
JohnSilver
½ September 30, 2017
Me fais penser à Orange Mà (C)canique tellement c'est bizarre. Peu de paroles, musiques weird, etc ...
September 15, 2017
Invasion by some not-so-smart aliens.
September 8, 2017
While the film heavily supports style over substance, Under the Skin is still a visual marvel and a head trip of sci-fi strangeness and haunting imagery, and show cases a curious and sympathetic Scarlett Johansson who guides us through the human condition.
½ September 6, 2017
Polarizing Sci-Fi horror film in the shape of an arthouse movie. Repetitive and slow at first, then opening up to the landscape in the more interesting second half, which also has Johansson's strongest scenes. A lot of times the film is extremely uncomfortable to watch and in the end you wonder why you even bothered, but something tells me a few scenes will stay with you for a while - for good and for bad.
September 3, 2017
Eerie and suspenseful
½ August 30, 2017
I'm not even going to pretend to uderstand what this very strange movie is all about, but I will say that I was compelled to watch it. Scarlett Johansson was incredible, in her almost silent role, but I'm not to sure if I understood who she was. Still, it makes for a fascinating film experience.
August 21, 2017
6.5/10 Visually interesting, a bit mysterious and gloomy, but slightly on the boring side :)
½ August 16, 2017
Watched this because of Scarlett Johansson, but all I got was a dark, black nothing! The ratings above are beyond my comprehension!
½ August 15, 2017
HIGHLY recommend this film.
½ August 11, 2017
Under the Skin

1.5 / 5 stars.

This is an Art film. It does have intrinsic value. There is much that can be gleaned from it's mysteries about the director's or writer's views on human life, our values, gender roles, obsession with physical beauty, misunderstanding of anything foreign or different and a million other deeper subjects that are worthy of discussion. The execution of this vision, however, is bordering on unwatchable.

Are you familiar with David Lynch? Did you enjoy Mullholland Drive, or Inland Empire? Then you will like Under the Skin i think. i *almost* turned this movie off about 1/3 of the way through. There is little to no dialogue to speak of. No exposition. The story has two modes: either jumping from point to point with no real explanation, or lingering in the background of a scene where nothing really happens for several minutes at a time. Random moments are centrally important to understanding what is going on, but you have no way to know when they happen. You do have to think and use your imagination a bit to piece together what it is you are seeing, and i feel like the whole thing is just too vague to connect to an audience. There are two groups of people that i think will enjoy this film.

1. Film School Students. People looking for different ways to photograph scenes, angles, lighting, motion, all of that. Basically people who see film as a pure expression of Art, separate from its audience or entertainment as an ideal- "film critics" fall into this category as well.

2. People who really REALLY want to see Scarlet Johansson naked.

There is plenty of full frontal in this movie. i found none of it erotic or sensational.

This movie is all about atmosphere from the creepy music throughout (intermixed with silence), to the casual themes of rape and murder and apathy to human life. But it is not there for shock value. There were a few truly disturbing scenes but i felt like they were trying to make most of the movie creepy and disturbing but it is mostly boring. i do not think this generation of movie watchers is going to be truly disturbed by any of this. Perhaps if Under the Skin had been released in 1975, it wouldve been a shocking portrayal of something nightmarish.

i found myself waiting and waiting for a payoff to the weirdness and abysmal pace of this movie, and in the end, you do get one, but it is far too late, far too little. i did like Under the Skin a little bit as a sharp gruesome little look into the darker part of our own souls, but it was certainly not worth the two hours of plodding introspection to get there. i cannot recommend this as entertainment to your average movie-goer.

Turn on the world news for 10 minutes and you will feel the same amount of need-to-take-a-shower griminess without all the frustration and confusion.
½ July 30, 2017
Absolute and total crap. A shit-pile of nothing. I'd rather stand waiting at the DMV for 2 hours than watch this again.
July 28, 2017
Difficult story to understand for me. Alien comes to earth, poses as hot chick, picks up random men and kills them. Kind of a much more arty 'Species'. It wasn't boring, but it wasn't that great either. Scarlett looks fantastic naked.
½ July 11, 2017
I hate this movie. It's horrible. It's weird, and not in a good way. It's mind-numbingly horrific. I don't know how Tomatometer has an 85% rating. Reviewers are trying to be cool by saying it's good? No other explanation. My advice is to watch paint dry or grass grow if you feel that you have to occupy your time. It would be time better spent than watching this movie.
July 11, 2017
Best British film of all time.
July 6, 2017
This was the most boring movies I have ever seen. I get the meaning behind it, but there is really nothing here. 108 minutes and only 5 very small things that actually happen. The entire movie she is driving or walking somewhere with no dialogue. That's it. And don't expect any answers either. I don't get the critics nowadays , they must be out of their minds.
½ July 3, 2017
This movie just further confirms movie critics have the worst taste in movies!
This again was another incredibly BORING AND STUPID MOVIE!
This is why I NEVER pay attention to what the movie critics say. The average movie goer has MUST better taste and reviews that are worth considering.
Those of you movie critics that gave this movie a rating above 40%, get a new job! You're worthless!
As for Scarlett Johansen choosing this role is beyond me....... Stick with the Marvel movies. You're much better in the Hollywood mainstream! UGH! 1:45 minutes wasting my time!!!
½ June 28, 2017
Under the Skin is one of those weird movies where it has a lot of great aspects to it, but it's also very flawed and somewhat pretentious that it's difficult for me to class it as a good movie or a bad movie, instead it's somewhere in the middle. There are some undeniable great elements, such as the brilliant cinematography and the musical score that sets a creepy and ominous tone. However the film moves at such a needlessly slow pace that it makes it a slog to watch. while the first half can have some creepy moments like the beach sequence it's incredibly repetitive. It essentially just consists of the alien picking up men, bringing them to her creepy room and then driving off. This happens three or so times and just gets boring. The second half has good moments but again it ends up being boring. I can see why some would love Under the Skin I just couldn't get into it. It isn't bad but its for very particular set of people but it wasn't for me. C