Under the Skin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Under the Skin Reviews

½ May 8, 2017
I couldn't give it a lower score. It would be a ZERO without SJ's boobs and butt. On 3x speed, it wasn't even tolerable.
April 27, 2017
I really don't understand this movie, but performance of scarlett and music is incredible, maybe I will try its novel.
½ April 14, 2017
A brilliant poem about man's inhumanity to man.
½ April 14, 2017
Triggers senses, nice to see her naked, one nasty scene. Ends with her revealing alien form and getting killed.
½ April 10, 2017
Ok, who's the spoiler douche who wrote the synopsis for this movie on this website (Movie Info)? Really? Revealing one of the most significant details of the plot that viewers don't find out about until about 20-30 minutes in, done in 11 words by this idiot, is a crappy thing to do. Darth Vader is Luke's father, Bruce Willis is dead all along, Brad Pitt is really Ed Norton's alter ego, Planet of the Apes is really Earth, Verbal Kint is really Keyser Soze, Brad Pitt's wife's head is in the box, and Rosebud is the damn sled! Why the hell not if this "movie" website is going to ruin crap like this, why not all of them!
April 9, 2017
This is one beautiful, really legitimately strange film. Glazer has taken the main plot details from the source novel and constructed his own artifact out of them. It blends gritty, guerrilla film making (non-actors who were not aware they were being filmed) with immaculately constructed and beautifully shot sequences. That these elements hold together and form a coherent whole is really quite an accomplishment. He casts Scarlett Johansson at least partly to exploit her sexy movie star persona, but then disguises her under a black wig and cheap clothes, and shoots some of the most deliberately non-sexual nudity. It's not a film that's easy to consume. It's deliberately mysterious at times and refuses to explain many of the details of the plot. Still, I think it's difficultness is overstated and it's simply a joy to experience.
March 31, 2017
One of the best films I've seen recently. Imagine David Lynch making a film today in Scotland. Brilliant
½ March 30, 2017
Lingering shots are a powerful tool in film. It emphasizes what the director is trying to show the audience, and forces said audience to think about said directors message and intent. Under The Skin's director understood this, and decided to make an entire movie out of lingering shots. What the director didn't understand is that when you emphasize everything, nothing is emphasized. You'll find yourself staring at a lingering shot of Scarlett's emotionless face numerous times, for several minutes each and every time. You'll find yourself understanding the message in the first 10 seconds of the shot, only to see it continue on for several minutes. You'll find yourself awoken from what felt like a 3 hour long slumber, to realize the movie was actually only 1h48m long. I don't need constant cuts and new scenery to be visually stimulated, I need a film effective at delivering a message. Under The Skin is not that film.
March 30, 2017
I love films that do not give you all the answers; films that make you think; films that make you form your own ideas about what you just watched. Under the Skin falls into this category. I will not spoil anything about the plot because it is a movie best experienced if you knowing nothing going in. I will say that this film contains some very horrifying scenes that, for lack of a better saying, got under my skin. The score is terrifying and the sound design is some of the best I have ever heard. The perplexing imagery in this film also portrayed some very disturbing, and unfortunately true, themes. If you have not seen Under the Skin and you like analyzing film, definitely check it out. This is one of those movies that will be marveled at for years to come.
March 22, 2017
Smart, creepy, sexy and out of this world. Truly an original; only for those seeking a different take on horror that merges perfectly with Sci-Fi. This is Scarlett's best work!
½ March 20, 2017
A grinding industrial soundtrack, clichéd visuals and not a single word of dialogue for the first (was it really?) 15 minutes.
Scarlett Johansson drives round Glasgow picking up men and killing them.
Hand held, slightly unfocused and if you thought Erazorhead was a work of genius you might well like that, but I didn't.
½ March 10, 2017
One of the worst films I've ever seen. 0.5
March 8, 2017
Most underrated film I've seen in many years. While I consider myself somewhat sophisticated, I find this film to be really sophisticated and not for the average mainstream audience member. There's a lot of story beneath what you're given and that's good storytelling. Amazing film.
March 4, 2017
Zero maybe the worst movie I have ever seen. Top 5 for sure.
February 25, 2017
artsy films are usually a hit or a miss for me... & this one was a hit. i really liked it. the dialog is pretty non-existent so you rely on the expressions & actions of the characters to tell the story which could lead to different perceptions of the film. but i really liked it. i liked it a lot.
February 18, 2017
What... what?! Insanely strange, but I was mesmerized by the entire thing.
February 12, 2017
STARS FOR GREATEST THRILLER AND -2 STARS FOR INCOMPLETE STORYLINE
TOTAL 3 STARS
GREAT MOVIE WITH WEIRD ENDING
February 10, 2017
Great Sci-Fi film with an unconventional approach. Feels a bit slow at times, but really captures the themes of being an outsider to the rest of the world through both character and cinematography.
February 7, 2017
Wonderful cinematography, a thoughtful story told almost entirely with visuals.
½ February 4, 2017
Pretentious garbage. No wonder RT love it.