Under the Skin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Under the Skin Reviews

½ January 14, 2018
Terribly boring movie and just proves that Scarlett Johansson is a one dimensional actress. She is very overrated.
December 29, 2017
If you are not a fan of the surreal, you will not be a fan of this movie. This is one of the most interesting character studies I have ever seen, all while building upon very little dialogue. It also manages to have strong social critiques without being preachy. If you don't mind an "artsy" vibe, I would highly recommend it!
½ December 21, 2017
this movie drowns you in a black ocean of Fantasy and unknown destiny.
Scarlett is disturbing and mindblowing at once.
½ December 6, 2017
At first I thought the film was just a pretentious arty film with a slapdash plot. After discovering the film was based 'loosely' on a book they took the film in a way that I can't even describe as a direction.

I didn't get the 'message', Johansson's epiphany didn't have just cause as far as I could gauge. The acting was 'meh'. The imagery was pretentious and overall just a weird experience.
December 2, 2017
Visceral, unnerving, beautiful. A purposeful contemplation on the nature of humanity, and the growth from something far from human into something essentially empathetic. This is a soulful film that uses provocative visuals and intentional dialogue to explore one simple concept: alien meets humanity. And it is done to stunning and indubitable effect, with a career-making performance by Scarlett Johansson.
November 14, 2017
Not sure how this film made it out of production and why Scarlett Johansson agreed to do it. One of the weirdest movies I have ever watched. It is also one of the worse. The only thing I enjoyed was Scarlett and seeing Scotland.
½ November 8, 2017
Painfully slow but somehow captivating.
October 24, 2017
I have seen this film twice now and it remains just about as uncomfortable, mesmerising and bizarre on second viewing. This is what film making should be. A film (or at least moments) that will haunt you forever.
½ October 14, 2017
My GODS this was BORING!!! And by the time she peels off her skin, does it even matter by then! The cinetography was good though. C-
October 12, 2017
Ok. Art house. Slow. Meandering exploration of.... loneliness? One of the strangest movies I have ever watched
October 4, 2017
This is clearly one of the most divisive films of the last decade. Those who don't like it seem to HATE it. Those who do like it, LOVE it. I am in the latter camp, in fact it's easily one of my favourite films of the last decade. In a sense I understand why people don't like it. It leaves most of it's major questions unanswered, and that leaves people feeling uncomfortable, and they don't like movies to make them feel uncomfortable. This is a film that builds an atmosphere through gorgeous visuals, an amazing soundtrack ... and unanswered questions. The element of mystery is part of what makes it great. It's closest touch point for me is the best work of Nicolas Roeg ,,, beautiful, somewhat frustrating and concealing vast depths under a shiny surface.
JohnSilver
½ September 30, 2017
Me fais penser à Orange Mà (C)canique tellement c'est bizarre. Peu de paroles, musiques weird, etc ...
September 15, 2017
Invasion by some not-so-smart aliens.
September 8, 2017
While the film heavily supports style over substance, Under the Skin is still a visual marvel and a head trip of sci-fi strangeness and haunting imagery, and show cases a curious and sympathetic Scarlett Johansson who guides us through the human condition.
½ September 6, 2017
Polarizing Sci-Fi horror film in the shape of an arthouse movie. Repetitive and slow at first, then opening up to the landscape in the more interesting second half, which also has Johansson's strongest scenes. A lot of times the film is extremely uncomfortable to watch and in the end you wonder why you even bothered, but something tells me a few scenes will stay with you for a while - for good and for bad.
September 3, 2017
Eerie and suspenseful
½ August 30, 2017
I'm not even going to pretend to uderstand what this very strange movie is all about, but I will say that I was compelled to watch it. Scarlett Johansson was incredible, in her almost silent role, but I'm not to sure if I understood who she was. Still, it makes for a fascinating film experience.
August 21, 2017
6.5/10 Visually interesting, a bit mysterious and gloomy, but slightly on the boring side :)