Under the Skin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Under the Skin Reviews

February 18, 2017
What... what?! Insanely strange, but I was mesmerized by the entire thing.
February 12, 2017
STARS FOR GREATEST THRILLER AND -2 STARS FOR INCOMPLETE STORYLINE
TOTAL 3 STARS
GREAT MOVIE WITH WEIRD ENDING
February 10, 2017
Great Sci-Fi film with an unconventional approach. Feels a bit slow at times, but really captures the themes of being an outsider to the rest of the world through both character and cinematography.
February 7, 2017
Wonderful cinematography, a thoughtful story told almost entirely with visuals.
½ February 4, 2017
Pretentious garbage. No wonder RT love it.
February 2, 2017
Should have been made into a short film. Clearly, financed by the Scottish Tourist Board. Conceptually brilliant but, it is like picking up a book and reading 40 pages of description to get 4 lines of thought and dialogue. Bonkers
February 1, 2017
A movie of such chilling beauty and power "Under The Skin"is nothing of a modern sci-fi masterpiece with a simply astonishing central performance from Scarlett Johansson.....pure sci-fi genius.
January 31, 2017
Saw this film and went back the next day and watched it again. I've also rented the DVD
January 31, 2017
Under the Skin is a miraculous looking film with some great visuals, but it's very dull.
January 30, 2017
Definitely not a film for the casual movie goer or lesser. A very melancholic, slow burn film with captivating visuals and a haunting score to take the lead as opposed to the usual role of dialogue. Scarlett Johansson will make you fear her character as well as pity her.
Perhaps not a film for everyone, possibly the most overlooked film of 2014.
January 29, 2017
This movies was filmed in Glasgow, actually in Govan and Ibrox, even using the block of flats in Ibrox where I lived for 15 years and the roads around Govan. The movie is very surreal and dream like. I have now watched it three times and will do so again, which is a very rare thing for me to do.
½ January 28, 2017
Under the Skin is a mystifying phenomenon of spellbinding beauty, an abstract cinematic venture into the unknown and unknowable.
January 26, 2017
This is one of the most unsettling and gripping movies I've seen in a while. It disturbed me on a level that no horror movie has come close to, and on top of that, is one of the most amazingly put together art films I've ever seen. There is almost no dialogue in this movie, and almost all of the narrative and the emotion comes from a combination of the cinematography, and the score - which are both incredible. Scarlett Johansson continues to prove to be one of my favorite actresses and it's hard to imagine this movie working as well as it does without her pitch perfect performance. My one big critique of the movie (which may go away as I continue to rewatch and perhaps understand it more) is that what the movie is ultimately seeming to want to say, isn't really all that new or profound. It's basically amounts to an incredibly original and artsy way of dealing with a very cliche'd sci-fi theme. It's not a bad thing, but part of me did kind of go "that's it?" at the end. Having said that, this is an incredible movie that isn't for everyone, but for those with my sensibilities, you'll be glad you watched it.
January 24, 2017
Not bad by any means, but I'm not sure if this is my kind of movie. Immaculate imagery and a ton of moments that make you say 'what the fuck' (which is a good thing here) I was ultimately a little let down by the absurd lack of dialogue and the snails pace at which the plot moved, however, in the end I simply can not deny that I enjoyed this more than I didn't.
½ January 21, 2017
Except for the sometimes slow pacing and lingering shots that could have been more tightly edited, this is a science fiction masterpiece.
January 11, 2017
Doesn't that black substance - in which the poor guys drown - remind us of our attachment to the ups and downs of sexual gratification?
January 6, 2017
Inquietante pero insípido pedazo de arte experimental. Trata acerca de estar alienado de la gente, de la sociedad. Del sexo. Ser extraño a los mecanismos de los humanos para intimar. Asimilar que uno no es mejor que la demás gente. Perder la confianza cuando se pretende, demasiado tarde, tener una personalidad y seguirle el juego a la vida. Descubrir que uno está alienado hasta de sí mismo. Algo así, puede ser? 4/10
December 22, 2016
one of the best recent movies I've seen
December 19, 2016
This movie has almost no plot development and EVERYTHING is left to interpretation. The acting is alright, I guess nothing special. You'll need a special kind of determination to get through this movie it's that boring.
December 14, 2016
The lady from the white van.

First of all, this is not an entertaining film, but an alien theme on a fictional plot like how they would come live among us. Before that, they need to look like us, so they steal human skins and that's what this film is about. Most of the film was in a van driving around in the Scottland. An alien disguised as a human, looking for the single men in the uncrowded places to seduce and steal their skins. But one day after got curious about being a human being, her routine work gets affected seriously and so what happens to her after is told in the remaining film.

It's certainly not the film I was looking for. That's the reason I did not watch it when it got out. But I kind of liked it, it was not as boring as the others advised me. Usually films are for pleasure and timepass and this film did not have those qualities. Hence it financially failed. Surely some people would enjoy it, particularly the critics praised it which is unusual.

From the director of 'Birth', Scarlett Johansson in the lead and she was the only good thing in it. The story was a little complicated, so not everybody going the get it, not at the first glance, but if you do, you will enjoy it. The locations were awesome. Watching it on the cold stormy day brought me that original Scottish atmosphere here. I should have rated it better, but no regret for what I gave for it. Its not a suggestible kind, though worth a watch if you're fed up with the regular commercial films.

6/10