Under the Skin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Under the Skin Reviews

½ August 16, 2017
Watched this because of Scarlett Johansson, but all I got was a dark, black nothing! The ratings above are beyond my comprehension!
½ August 15, 2017
HIGHLY recommend this film.
½ August 11, 2017
Under the Skin

1.5 / 5 stars.

This is an Art film. It does have intrinsic value. There is much that can be gleaned from it's mysteries about the director's or writer's views on human life, our values, gender roles, obsession with physical beauty, misunderstanding of anything foreign or different and a million other deeper subjects that are worthy of discussion. The execution of this vision, however, is bordering on unwatchable.

Are you familiar with David Lynch? Did you enjoy Mullholland Drive, or Inland Empire? Then you will like Under the Skin i think. i *almost* turned this movie off about 1/3 of the way through. There is little to no dialogue to speak of. No exposition. The story has two modes: either jumping from point to point with no real explanation, or lingering in the background of a scene where nothing really happens for several minutes at a time. Random moments are centrally important to understanding what is going on, but you have no way to know when they happen. You do have to think and use your imagination a bit to piece together what it is you are seeing, and i feel like the whole thing is just too vague to connect to an audience. There are two groups of people that i think will enjoy this film.

1. Film School Students. People looking for different ways to photograph scenes, angles, lighting, motion, all of that. Basically people who see film as a pure expression of Art, separate from its audience or entertainment as an ideal- "film critics" fall into this category as well.

2. People who really REALLY want to see Scarlet Johansson naked.

There is plenty of full frontal in this movie. i found none of it erotic or sensational.

This movie is all about atmosphere from the creepy music throughout (intermixed with silence), to the casual themes of rape and murder and apathy to human life. But it is not there for shock value. There were a few truly disturbing scenes but i felt like they were trying to make most of the movie creepy and disturbing but it is mostly boring. i do not think this generation of movie watchers is going to be truly disturbed by any of this. Perhaps if Under the Skin had been released in 1975, it wouldve been a shocking portrayal of something nightmarish.

i found myself waiting and waiting for a payoff to the weirdness and abysmal pace of this movie, and in the end, you do get one, but it is far too late, far too little. i did like Under the Skin a little bit as a sharp gruesome little look into the darker part of our own souls, but it was certainly not worth the two hours of plodding introspection to get there. i cannot recommend this as entertainment to your average movie-goer.

Turn on the world news for 10 minutes and you will feel the same amount of need-to-take-a-shower griminess without all the frustration and confusion.
½ July 30, 2017
Absolute and total crap. A shit-pile of nothing. I'd rather stand waiting at the DMV for 2 hours than watch this again.
July 28, 2017
Difficult story to understand for me. Alien comes to earth, poses as hot chick, picks up random men and kills them. Kind of a much more arty 'Species'. It wasn't boring, but it wasn't that great either. Scarlett looks fantastic naked.
½ July 11, 2017
I hate this movie. It's horrible. It's weird, and not in a good way. It's mind-numbingly horrific. I don't know how Tomatometer has an 85% rating. Reviewers are trying to be cool by saying it's good? No other explanation. My advice is to watch paint dry or grass grow if you feel that you have to occupy your time. It would be time better spent than watching this movie.
July 11, 2017
Best British film of all time.
July 6, 2017
This was the most boring movies I have ever seen. I get the meaning behind it, but there is really nothing here. 108 minutes and only 5 very small things that actually happen. The entire movie she is driving or walking somewhere with no dialogue. That's it. And don't expect any answers either. I don't get the critics nowadays , they must be out of their minds.
½ July 3, 2017
This movie just further confirms movie critics have the worst taste in movies!
This again was another incredibly BORING AND STUPID MOVIE!
This is why I NEVER pay attention to what the movie critics say. The average movie goer has MUST better taste and reviews that are worth considering.
Those of you movie critics that gave this movie a rating above 40%, get a new job! You're worthless!
As for Scarlett Johansen choosing this role is beyond me....... Stick with the Marvel movies. You're much better in the Hollywood mainstream! UGH! 1:45 minutes wasting my time!!!
½ June 28, 2017
Under the Skin is one of those weird movies where it has a lot of great aspects to it, but it's also very flawed and somewhat pretentious that it's difficult for me to class it as a good movie or a bad movie, instead it's somewhere in the middle. There are some undeniable great elements, such as the brilliant cinematography and the musical score that sets a creepy and ominous tone. However the film moves at such a needlessly slow pace that it makes it a slog to watch. while the first half can have some creepy moments like the beach sequence it's incredibly repetitive. It essentially just consists of the alien picking up men, bringing them to her creepy room and then driving off. This happens three or so times and just gets boring. The second half has good moments but again it ends up being boring. I can see why some would love Under the Skin I just couldn't get into it. It isn't bad but its for very particular set of people but it wasn't for me. C
June 24, 2017
Under The Skin brings an unbelievably dark perspective on sexual desires and selfishness. The middle of the film is where I have my problems. The sex scenes become repetitive, and there were some confusing imagery that were trying to symbolize something but I couldn't understand them. The films is at its strongest in the beginning and the end. The ending makes up so much for the confusing middle. The environment built around her sex life is so surreal. This films makes you question your selfishness during sexual activities.
8.5/10
½ June 24, 2017
This shit was trash, lowkey only liked the parts with Scarlett Johannson nude LOL
½ June 17, 2017
6.5/10 Visually interesting, a bit mysterious and gloomy, but slightly on the boring side :)
June 3, 2017
I would understand the haters of this as it won't be everyone's cup of tea. However the few that stick around will be rewarded with a haunting, very stylish and extremely bold look at us as human beings.
½ June 2, 2017
I've seen over 1500 movies and studied film - and to even call this a 'movie' is a stretch. If you get high and love no plot and have 90 minutes of your life you want to give away to make it slightly worse - than this movie is for you. Else, skip it - immediately. If you don't believe me, be sure to remember that after 30 minutes - after nothing but 2 BORING plot points have happened, nothing has changed - not even the same boring music that is trying to tell you something interesting may happen.
½ June 1, 2017
Under the skin is right. This is what this movie does. Incredible. A movie to be experienced.
½ May 30, 2017
Interesting themes, if not a little pretentious. Better premise than execution overall
½ May 8, 2017
I couldn't give it a lower score. It would be a ZERO without SJ's boobs and butt. On 3x speed, it wasn't even tolerable.
April 27, 2017
I really don't understand this movie, but performance of scarlett and music is incredible, maybe I will try its novel.
½ April 14, 2017
A brilliant poem about man's inhumanity to man.