An Unfinished Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

An Unfinished Life Reviews

½ September 10, 2016
Decent movie, but nothing you haven't seen before. Touching at times and silly at other times (i.e. see the bear storyline)
July 4, 2016
I thought this was a really good film. And Robert Redford is so handsome.
January 8, 2016
This is a typical Lasse Hallstrom movie and he delivers. Nothing original at all, but strong directing and strong acting. Hallstrom is a master of sentimental feel good family and relationship dramas. This movie has a lot in common with "Chocolat" and "The Cider House Rules"; you might even call them a trilogy of sorts. If you like those movies, you will most like this one as well.
Most of the time, the success and overall rating of Hallstrom's movies comes down to its source material. Much of the success of "The Cider House Rules" is credited to the book and screenplay by John Irving, and rightly so. But Hallstrom deserve a lot of credit as well, by perfectly taking the source material from page to screen and deliver a great movie. With "An Unfinished Life", Hallstrom has done it again. Based on a popular book, Hallstrom takes this story from page to screen and deliver a movie with his own touch and clean execution. There was some debate during the production where the author of the book, Mark Spragg, withdrew his support because of too many changes in the script compared to the book. The basic story itself though, is largely intact. The loss of success of this movie though, comes down to the fact that Mark Spragg is no John Irving. John Irving is a contemporary giant in American litterature. His books will still be read 100 years from now. Mark Spragg, I am doubtful. By that, you also get to the weakness of Hallstrom. He can not elevate a movie very much beyond its source material, like some other (few) great directors can. He takes the source material as is, and makes a clean translation. Never better, never worse.
October 31, 2015
A really good and easy to understand story.
½ September 17, 2015
Fin familjefilm med "början av 90-talet"-feeling fastän den kom 2005. Jag får vibbar av Rädda Willy, Den otroliga vandringen, Crocodile Dundee, Lassie och den typen av filmer fast med lite färre djur och kanske lite cuxnare story. Mysig :)
August 15, 2015
All the place melodramatic family jumbled mess.
½ July 16, 2015
Decent. Thank God Morgan Freeman was in it.
½ June 9, 2015
Just finished watching "AN UNFINISHED LIFE" starring Robert Redford, Jennifer Lopez, and Morgan Freeman. Very good movie. If you get the chance, watch it, worth it!
May 15, 2015
I loved the movie. The locations and use of natural people was great. And once again Robert Redford and Morgan Freeman do fantastic jobs. What I did not like was the quality of the video on the DVD format. It looked like a copy of a copy of a copy. I had expected a better quality video presentation. That is why I only give it one star.
½ February 15, 2015
Gorgeous scenery and two crumpy old men, one girl and her mother in Wyoming on a farm. nothing special, but not too bad either. Lasse Hallström has done better.... many times.
January 22, 2015
I really liked this movie quite a bit. It has great chemistry, and a good message about unconditional love and true friendship. Yes, it's predictable. Yes, the story line is mildly hackneyed. I didn't fall asleep, so that's something.
January 6, 2015
Interesting mix of left and right wing cliches, but overall it has heart.
October 14, 2014
Movies based on books can be successful; Harry Potter et. al. or abysmal; take your pick. This movie struggles to carry the multi-track format of the book, but does an excellent job of presenting the challenges of forgiveness. It's always easier to forgive someone else than to forgive yourself. It's always hard to accept forgiveness because it requires acceptance of the need for it first. All the characters in this story are on hold because of their need for forgiveness; given and accepted. Each is broken or wounded in their own way and unable to heal, in part, because of a need to forgive - really forgive - and live in that forgiveness. Some of the story may be a bit simplistic, even predictable, but don't we all see what's going on in others better than we see it in ourselves? There are a couple scenes that elicit self-righteousness, but even then, there is a measuredness that challenges the viewer to recognize themselves in the characters - or their potential to be the characters. Not an easy film, but well worth watching, especially if you can take the time to think about it afterward.
September 19, 2014
closing conversation was really touchy...
September 17, 2014
Bought a copy. Actually I bought 2 copies accidentally.
August 26, 2014
What a outstanding performance by a outstanding cast. great family film
August 25, 2014
An entertaining well done story about real people who overcome failure and find something to live for. A reminder that everyone lives an unfinished life.
July 7, 2014
With a plot that's quite simple but effective, Lopez just about manages to keep up with her inexplicably good co-stars.
June 24, 2014
A good but could have been great movie. great actors under deliver
May 25, 2014
I'm not sure why I want to see this, I saw a preview before Casanova......or maybe it was Proof? Whatever. It looked okay though. Even if it does have Ms. Jennifer Lopez in it. I mean, she did good in Enough.