Universal Soldier Reviews

• Jul 23, 2019

Well-made, but silly action vehicle for its two muscle men would like to be as good as The Terminator, but isn't by a far cry.

• Jul 08, 2019

Excellent film. Has great action and great characters. Villain was cool.

Excellent film. Has great action and great characters. Villain was cool.

• Mar 10, 2019

𤬠y'all, this movie was the shit!!! Lol

𤬠y'all, this movie was the shit!!! Lol

• Feb 15, 2019

It's all nonsense but theres gore and plenty of action. A typical 90's action movie, great fun.

• Oct 25, 2018

Yes, the plot is derivative. But its unique in it's own way and the actors are good.

• Oct 23, 2018

Iconic Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren both in there physical prime with a healthy serving of bare ass van damme.

• May 09, 2018

Universal Soldier is a movie that has a silly premise about reincarnating soldiers and turning them into cyborg slaves. Of course, just like with any movie of this type, there is a remnant of the human in the reanimated brain that takes control. The science of the movie is beyond ridiculous, but I can take an off-the-wall concept if they don’t try explaining it and just let you fill in the logic gaps yourself. Universal Soldier made the mistake of trying to justify the science, even introducing the guy who invented the process, and that’s when it got almost farcical to me. The explanations created more questions than they answered, and called more attention to the inconsistent way the rules were applied. But, hey, this is a Roland Emmerich action flick and there’s no reason to worry about sensible science. When I detached myself from the logic and embraced the action excitement, there was certainly a lot of fun to be had in Universal Soldier. Jean-Claude Van Damme gets to show off his martial arts and his butt, which must be written in his contract somewhere. The fight scenes are fast-paced, and I thought Dolph Lundgren was a good match in physicality with JCVD. While their back story was rushed, and they never give a complete picture of why Lundgren’s character is so delusional, I thought it was a strong way to set up why there would be traumatic flashbacks that would cause them to resist their programming. The plot of Universal Soldier is paper thin. It doesn’t even make sense why Ally Walker is targeted after the first 20 minutes. In reality, it devolves into two guys who want to kill each other for a second time because it didn’t stick the first time they killed each other. There are a ton of casualties along the way, and I’m not sure the good guys do anything more to save civilian lives than the bad guys, but this is Roland Emmerich testing the waters for much more bombastic films he would make later. When I was able to shut off my brain and embrace the action-packed nonsense, Universal Soldier was enjoyable. It’s certainly not a great film, and I wouldn’t recommend it to most people, but I still found a way to appreciate it.

• Jan 15, 2018

The film was Roland Emmerich's entry into Hollywood, and I can see why. Do you know that synonymous, if you only know a movie title because you know exactly that has 10,000 copies in the DVD store? (with 50 direct-to-video sequels or prequels) That's just the case with "Universal Soldier", I just wanted to know how and where it all started. I also like to see martial artist trying on more serious film projects. But then I remembered "Roland Emmerich" and I knew what I had to get involved again. Surprisingly, that was not the case. That is clearly one of Emmerich's best films but that does not mean much. The story is pretty good in itself and I like the idea. In general, I'm always interested in any kind of weird science fiction but if you have not seen the first 5 to 10 minutes of the movie, then you might think it's just a normal soldier movie in which only a soldier went crazy. But in itself I have to say the movie is fun because it does not seem so long, has some pretty good ideas and Jean-Claude Van Damme is pretty entertaining and funny in so many scenes. That I really have to ask the question if this man would be a good comedian. My personal favorite is when he sits in yours and just no matter what happens all the food continues to eat and continue to eat. Dolph Lundgren is always better as a rogue (or as an anti-hero) Nevertheless, we must not forget that this is a criticism and we must also remain critical the film has the typical Roland Emmerich problems. The pacing in this movie is rather slow. Now the action is filmed faster + good enough but the scene went by quickly before / after getting into a car. Otherwise you can wait a long time until something interesting / important happens again. The battles are mediocre just like the love interest. (which one would not have needed in this movie but she has at least a narrative reason to follow him in the movie and it is at least understandable why they fall in love with each other) But the saddest thing is that the movie had 3 perfect scenes to end the movie and all the problems mentioned at the beginning would have been quickly forgotten, NO! Terrifyingly, the movie continues over 20 minutes because Roland Emmerich tried to make a double climaxx, but he did not understand how to build one that makes him worse and harder to deal with in retrospect. And that costs the film another star.

• Jan 02, 2018

Cashing in on the success of T2 came this shallow actioner that in the most part is hilariously bad. In large part due to Dolph's over the top villain who is unintentionally funny. The story of the film is pretty simple but pretty effective for a Sci-fi action film and it delivers in the action department. The action is non-stop and keeps it entertaining enough to get through. Basically if you want to turn your brain off and laugh at a cheesy action movie look no further.

• Aug 04, 2017

Not 1 of van damme beat films but worth a watch if you haven't seen some good action in it