Up - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Up Reviews

February 19, 2018
The Best Movie of Disney Pixar ever, love it??
January 29, 2018
Up is one of those films that sticks with you long after the credits are done rolling. It hits you on a number of different levels, bordering close to perfection. I don't think I've seen a film that manages to switch from hurt to hilarious in such an effortless fashion.

In the beginning you meet Ellie, a cute little girl full of adventure. Her energy and excitement bleed off the screen and you can't help but smile at her. She's perfect for Carl, an innocent kid who barely says more than a few words. Their imaginative adventures get you into the story immediately. It's a relationship that makes the first ten minutes that much harder to watch. There are moments in the film that never lose impact which is testament to the film's power to stand the test of time.

For a child's film, there are a lot of layers that really make the film special. It isn't long before we get to meet Russell, an innocent boyscout turned star of the movie. He's just trying to earn another badge by helping the elderly. Underneath this unassuming kid is hurt from all the painful things happening in his life. Each character has their own respective backstory that makes them relatable and lovable.

There's good ole Doug the runt of a talking dog pack who can't seem to do right even when he tries his best. He's an outcast amongst the other dogs while still harboring those wonderful dogs traits that humans can't help but love. And how can you not love the colorful snipe Kevin whose only goal is to take care of her kids (yes, HER name is Kevin)? All of these characters are worthy of their own standalone film which is why bringing them all together for one story makes the film spectacular.

At the core of the story is the odd couple relationship between Kevin and Russell. Young and old meet and it couldn't be funnier to see the two try and operate together. As they try and understand each other, they form an unlikely bond, a closeness that was lost from both of their lives. At the risk of sounding like a teenager, it will give you all the feels.

There could be some missteps in this wonderful adventure about a man who decides to fly away in his house using thousands of balloons, but those missteps are minute. Not only are the visuals amazing, but the message is also a strong one: Don't get stuck in the past. Live life for the now.

Up is a classic. I give it a 99.
January 28, 2018
Masterpiece of a movie up is ware kind of movie that your love it's sad but fun to watch 10/10
½ January 28, 2018
Not my favorite Pixar movie, but Pixar has never messed up, besides Cars 2
January 27, 2018
Goodness gracious. Bless Disney for this film. Just bless.
January 17, 2018
Just a sweet, sweet movie.
January 17, 2018
Brilliant family film
January 14, 2018
Hilarious movie with an incredible story, Up deserves five stars!
January 12, 2018
Talking dogs, floating houses, Russell and an old man. It's got it all here in this film. A wonderful, quirky and slightly mad Disney animation .
½ January 7, 2018
Didn't walk into the theater prepared for a feels trip. Absolutely beautiful.
The style of this movie is simplistic (which goes well with the house flying with balloons) yet it's not ugly as in some other movies. Pixar never fails to amaze me.
½ January 7, 2018
DIRECTED BY MICHAEL BAY!
½ January 6, 2018
Straight into my Disney top 5, and one of the best film of 2009.
January 2, 2018
Strengths: There's a reason Pixar is the heavyweight champion when it comes to animated films. Everything in this film hits the right notes. I'll start with the opening ten or so minutes. It consists of one of the most touching and heartbreaking montages you'll ever see. They crafted a stronger love story in ten minutes than most movies can do in two hours. Hell, some TV shows can't even do this over the course of several seasons. I've seen it several times and it always chokes me up. The film masterfully weaves the emotional stuff with the fun adventure that kids come to see. Carl Fredrickson (Ed Asner) is a great protagonist. He's flawed and haunted by missing his wife, yet likable. Russell (Jordan Nagai) is a great sidekick with his own sad tale. You feel for him when he talks about his absentee father. Dug (Bob Peterson) and Kevin (Pete Doctor) made for fun side characters, with Dug stealing the show as cute comic relief. The score is a highlight and, like everything Pixar does, it's visually stunning.

Weaknesses: If I had to pick one issue, I'd say the movie doesn't exactly work for all kids. A lot of the younger audience won't understand some of the story pieces. That's just nitpicking, though.

Overall: If it wasn't for Toy Story, I firmly believe Up would be their greatest creation. It's wonderful in every way and very deserving of the Best Picture nomination it received.
½ December 23, 2017
Fantastic movie full of pixar magic it will make you cry and it will make you laugh
December 20, 2017
A film with way more heart than plot, but the awesome character work and beautiful animation, accented by perfect comedic moments, make it a classic, and great fun after the heartbreaking opening sequence
December 17, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.5

Una película conmovedora, entrañable y divertida, que te hace apreciar lo valioso que es aprovechar cada momento con los seres que amas. Up tiene un poderoso mensaje sobre la vida misma. Un film que toda persona tiene que ver.
December 16, 2017
Pixar: "We're going to make our next movie about a 70-year-old man coming to terms with the death of his wife."

I don't think any focus group would think that is a good idea, but Pixar followed their creative vision and created a true masterpiece. Featuring well-written characters and excellent animation, Up is probably my favorite movie. Even with its wild and crazy action, it tells a mature and poignant story with great depth. So many animated movies tell viewers to follow their dreams. Up reminds us that sometimes we find something better along the way. I highly encourage anybody to watch this movie; it is one of the best animated movies of all time.
December 14, 2017
Pixar's best film period,fight me.
December 11, 2017
This film is delightful. Definitely has one of the saddest starts to a movie I think I've seen. Witch makes you feel so emotionally attached to the main character (Carl). That you feel ready to take his journey with him after the first ten minutes. Brilliant!
December 7, 2017
"So long boys! I'll send you a postcard from Paradise Falls..." Disney Pixar's Up takes flight as a heart-warming film that depicts the unexpected adventure of an irritable geezer and full of life boy scout into "a land lost in time".
Young Carl Fredrickson's zeal for adventure was sparked by his idol, Charles Muntz (an explorer who traveled to South America in his blimp, in hopes to clear his name and find the 'Monster of Paradise Falls'). While on his usual jaunt home, young Carl comes in contact with a spunky red-headed girl who just so happened to be a fellow Charles Muntz enthusiast as well. Two people who couldn't have been more different fall in love over time, eventually get married, and devote their lives to adventure. Their ultimate goal for adventure being to save up funds to purchase tickets to visit Paradise Falls like their childhood hero. Along the way, they suffer little mishaps that prolong their ability to reach their goal. But when Ellie passes away, their life long dream of visiting Paradise Falls is put on hold and appears to disappear. The once fun-loving, happy, and go-getting Carl Fredrickson turns into a crusty and bitter old man without his lover by his side. It isn't until a seemingly inconsequential knock on Mr. Fredrickson's door by a wilderness explorer named Russell (who is working towards earning his assisting the elderly badge) that Mr. Fredrickson's life and perspective on life is forever changed.
Due to events along the way, Mr. Fredrickson decides it is time to get out of dodge and finally fulfill his and his wife's dreams of going to Paradise Falls. He attaches more balloons than you can imagine to his house and takes flight. Unbeknownst to Mr. Fredrickson, Russell accidentally becomes a part of his journey. When they make it to Paradise Falls, they land on the opposite side of where they intended. They then proceed to finish up their journey by making it to their desired destination- the other side. Along the way, they befriend a giant bird named Kevin, Doug the dog, and eventually come in contact with the one and only Charles Muntz. What is a dream comes true quickly detours and becomes a 'battle for the bird'. Charles Muntz wants to take Kevin back home to prove to everyone that he isn't a madman and that the 'Monster of Paradise Falls' is real. On the other hand, Mr. Fredrickson and Russell want to protect Kevin in order to take her back to her little baby birds.
In hopes of getting the bird, Charles Muntz manages to catch Kevin in a net. As Mr. Fredrickson and Russell furiously try to cut the net to set Kevin free, Muntz sets Mr. Fredrickson's house in flames. In this moment, Mr. Fredrickson has to essentially choose between holding on to the bird (symbolizing change and a new life) or his home (symbolizing the past and his wife). After a moment of deliberation, Mr. Fredrickson bolts to his house. In the midst of chaos, Muntz takes the bird. Once Muntz takes off with the bird in his large blimp, Russell and Mr. Fredrickson part ways. Russell sets off to save Kevin and Mr. Fredrickson decides to stay and accomplish why they traveled to Paradise Falls in the first place- to place his home on the other side of the falls. When on his own, Mr. Fredrickson takes a moment to reminisce. He tidies up his house somewhat and takes a seat in his chair to look through his sweet wife's Adventure Book. As the page titled "stuff we are going to do" slides down, what he previously thought to be empty space was instead pages filled with pictures of him and his wife's many adventures together throughout the years. On the last page, Ellie wrote, "Thanks for the adventure- now go have a new one!". It was at this point where Mr. Fredrickson's hardened heart was softened. It was in this moment where he was able to finally come to peace with the death of this sweetheart and decide to start a new chapter in his life.
Disney Pixar's Up is a heart-warming movie that perfectly exemplifies the importance of not dwelling on the past, because if you do, you will miss out on all the new and exciting adventures that surround you. Also, that it is important to make the most out of every situation we are given. Mr. Fredrickson was stubborn and did not yield to the constant change that was occurring in life around him once his wife died. He was miserable and wasn't willing to experience the new adventure that was out there. But once he came full circle and allowed Russell (aka change) into his life, he was able to experience the joy that life had to offer. He was able to find strength in the quiet moments of life- eating ice cream on the curb while counting how many blue and red cars passed by while spending time with people who matter the most.
Up is a wonderful film that can serve as an eye-opener to all of us. It is important for us to evaluate what we are focusing our time on. If we are stuck in the past, then maybe it is time to broaden our horizons and take up the spirit of adventure to see what adventure awaits us. Charles Muntz said it best, "Adventure is out there!". Now it is our duty to go out and explore.