Up - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Up Reviews

December 3, 2016
Up isn't just the best animated story but it is one of the greatest films of all time. Backed by a lush and heartbreaking score and one of the most powerful art forms of a prelude, the story touches upon the beautiful and terrifying life themes of love, romance, adventure, violence, death, and family all in one rousing piece of cinema.
November 30, 2016
This one moved me in so many ways I forgot it was an animation
November 24, 2016
This one tickes all the boxes. It's a great movie.
½ November 19, 2016
This movie was amazing! Like Cars 2, it has guns, explosions, peril, and bombs! Except the rating is PG
November 18, 2016
Imaginative, gorgeously animated, and very original. Up is a refreshing entry that tackles very mature themes that were never explored in previous movies.
November 1, 2016
Best movie i have seen, excellent animation, great history, perfect characters, basically this movie is perfect.
October 30, 2016
I have seen many cartoon movies, but this one is unique, in the first 15 minutes are just about heart feeling moments, it's hilarious, touching and thrilling, as they have to be, never seen such a great animated movie since 2004's "The Incredibles" "Shrek 2" . Another Disney's classic.
October 25, 2016
Pixar' best and would be surprised to ever see it beaten!
October 7, 2016
The characters are drawn incredibly and unnecessarily ugly, made it almost unwatchable. Amazed at all of the good reviews.
October 5, 2016
UP IS ONE OF THE BEST / SADDEST MOVIES EVER
THE LAND BEFORE TIME
TOY STORY 3
LAND BEFORE TIME II
FINDING DORY
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON?
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2?
THE SPONGEBOB MOVIE WHEN SPONGEBOB AND PATRICK DIES
THE ANGRY BIRDS MOVIE
OTHER MOVIES IS JUST SAD
THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES EVER/SADDEST ONES
THIS MOVIE IS TV PG BECAUSE IT'S JUST LIKE THAT NICKELODEON SHOULD DO THIS MOVIE OR NICK@ NITE ON THURSDAY'S & FRIDAY'S & OTHER WEEKDAYS I KNOW THAT ABC DID THIS MOVIE SO WHY NOT NICKELODEON DO THIS MOVIE FOR A CHANCE WE'LL SEE
½ September 24, 2016
9/24/16
Adventure is out there in the movies! Many are fun, and some are just awful. But one that should stand out is Up, which jerks us from the saddest sadnesses to the most adventurous joys! After the most heartfelt movie opening ever, we see Carl Fredricksen (Ed Asner) in his lonely life of clinging to the house restored by love (and hard work). On this fine day, a wilderness explorer (how many different boy/girl scout inspired organizations can Hollywood fabricate?) named Russell (Jordan Nagai) comes to ask if he needs assistance for a badge. He sends him on a quest to find a non-existent creature, and later, a construction worker unintentionally knocks over his mailbox (if you see the first ten minutes, you'll see why), Carl whacks him with his cane to get it back (fun fact: they actually have light blood on the guy's head, which is both true-to-life, and a minor detail you wouldn't expect a kid's movie to have), and is court-ordered to move into a nursing home. I don't know if any court can make people do that, but rather than lose the house, he decides to boldly go where Ellie always wanted to go: Paradise Falls. Does he take a plane? Too conventional, he does what any sane balloon salesman would: tie balloons to it, and make it fly! He's on his way, but then Russell turns out to have stowed away, and after they encounter a storm, what follows is an adventure that only CGI animation could provide, between the fun and whimsy, and the fact most elderly actors (not to be agist) couldn't pull off most of the stunts Carl and Charles F. Muntz (Christopher Plummer) pull off. The animation is brilliant, as Pixar animation should be. The animation however is not the only leg that Up stands on, but the great character development of Carl and Russell, in the way they bond with each other: Carl is the old, wise father figure Russell doesn't see often, and Russell is the son Carl could never have with Ellie. The cast's performances are heartfelt and genuine. Even though Russell's is told instead of shown, Pixar developed Carl so well by showing, they get a pass. What they do not get a pass from though, is some major plot holes: the flying house/dogs with voice collars/Kevin the bird are all givens, but if you really think about it, Carl and Russell break international law by leaving the country without passports, and it never gets addressed. It does not take away from the adventurous spirit of the film, but I simply cannot let it go. The fact is, if they ever came back to the US in real life after what they did, they would be arrested for flying the house (federal aviation law) and the aforementioned leaving without proper paperwork. They tried presenting a world where the only differences were Kevin and the flying house. Those get passes, but I'm simply too bothered by this to forgive them. What needs no apology is Michael Giacchino's great soundtrack. This guy just can't do wrong with music. He captures the style of the 1930s when Carl and Ellie met perfectly, and lets that old-fashioned spirit of adventure live long and prosper. Unrealistic international law aside, Up is one of Pixar's finest movies (which is saying something), blending great humor with a wonderful story and characters, with beautifully animated scenery. Now you've had a good adventure reading this review, have another by getting up and watching the movie!
9/8/12
"Adventure is out there!" - Charles Muntz, Up. Well, Disney/Pixar's Up proves how true that is. It could be going to South America, wheather in a blimp, or in your very own floating house, or it could be simply living with someone fun. Pixar really outdid themselves this time, visually, and story-wise. Up also has the right Pixar Chemestry: Childish humor, with older references. It's true what they say: Pixar told a better love story in 10 minutes, than Twilight did in four books. I really liked the way Russel and Carl bonded from their trip to South America, and a reminder of what Phil Dunphy once said "A young boy and an old man can be friends.". In conclusion, Up is one of the best Pixar movies to date, pulling the whole Pixar formula into another grand adventure.
September 23, 2016
Cute. Funny. Definitely PG and not G. Probably not appropriate for smaller children.
September 17, 2016
An uplifting adventure filled with emotional scenarios from beginning to end that hits me.
½ September 8, 2016
Up is so exciting it will make you fly.
½ September 1, 2016
It might hit a little too close to home for some, but that might just be what it should be doing.
½ August 26, 2016
a very joyful movie that can make anyone smile and cry in under an hour, though it gets a little too crazy when the dogs and the villain come in.
August 11, 2016
I just loved this movie. It warmed my heart.
½ August 8, 2016
A film that solidly road the coattails of the Pixar brand's long string of successes with no merit of its own; it dupes the audience with a tearjerker opening to get them hooked, then proceeds to stuff itself with cringe-worthy characters and plods on with an uninteresting story. The protagonist himself is literally the only marginally good part in an otherwise annoying film.
August 5, 2016
one of the best pixar movies ever
½ August 2, 2016
In recent days, this is undeniably one of the best animated movies we have witnessed; going back to Pixar's impeccable form to produce yet another masterpiece, with yet another wise, in-depth message. However, the pessimist inside me thinks we may have just seen all of this before; while being nonetheless spectacular.
Verdict: A