Up - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Up Reviews

December 14, 2017
Pixar's best film period,fight me.
December 11, 2017
This film is delightful. Definitely has one of the saddest starts to a movie I think I've seen. Witch makes you feel so emotionally attached to the main character (Carl). That you feel ready to take his journey with him after the first ten minutes. Brilliant!
December 7, 2017
"So long boys! I'll send you a postcard from Paradise Falls..." Disney Pixar's Up takes flight as a heart-warming film that depicts the unexpected adventure of an irritable geezer and full of life boy scout into "a land lost in time".
Young Carl Fredrickson's zeal for adventure was sparked by his idol, Charles Muntz (an explorer who traveled to South America in his blimp, in hopes to clear his name and find the 'Monster of Paradise Falls'). While on his usual jaunt home, young Carl comes in contact with a spunky red-headed girl who just so happened to be a fellow Charles Muntz enthusiast as well. Two people who couldn't have been more different fall in love over time, eventually get married, and devote their lives to adventure. Their ultimate goal for adventure being to save up funds to purchase tickets to visit Paradise Falls like their childhood hero. Along the way, they suffer little mishaps that prolong their ability to reach their goal. But when Ellie passes away, their life long dream of visiting Paradise Falls is put on hold and appears to disappear. The once fun-loving, happy, and go-getting Carl Fredrickson turns into a crusty and bitter old man without his lover by his side. It isn't until a seemingly inconsequential knock on Mr. Fredrickson's door by a wilderness explorer named Russell (who is working towards earning his assisting the elderly badge) that Mr. Fredrickson's life and perspective on life is forever changed.
Due to events along the way, Mr. Fredrickson decides it is time to get out of dodge and finally fulfill his and his wife's dreams of going to Paradise Falls. He attaches more balloons than you can imagine to his house and takes flight. Unbeknownst to Mr. Fredrickson, Russell accidentally becomes a part of his journey. When they make it to Paradise Falls, they land on the opposite side of where they intended. They then proceed to finish up their journey by making it to their desired destination- the other side. Along the way, they befriend a giant bird named Kevin, Doug the dog, and eventually come in contact with the one and only Charles Muntz. What is a dream comes true quickly detours and becomes a 'battle for the bird'. Charles Muntz wants to take Kevin back home to prove to everyone that he isn't a madman and that the 'Monster of Paradise Falls' is real. On the other hand, Mr. Fredrickson and Russell want to protect Kevin in order to take her back to her little baby birds.
In hopes of getting the bird, Charles Muntz manages to catch Kevin in a net. As Mr. Fredrickson and Russell furiously try to cut the net to set Kevin free, Muntz sets Mr. Fredrickson's house in flames. In this moment, Mr. Fredrickson has to essentially choose between holding on to the bird (symbolizing change and a new life) or his home (symbolizing the past and his wife). After a moment of deliberation, Mr. Fredrickson bolts to his house. In the midst of chaos, Muntz takes the bird. Once Muntz takes off with the bird in his large blimp, Russell and Mr. Fredrickson part ways. Russell sets off to save Kevin and Mr. Fredrickson decides to stay and accomplish why they traveled to Paradise Falls in the first place- to place his home on the other side of the falls. When on his own, Mr. Fredrickson takes a moment to reminisce. He tidies up his house somewhat and takes a seat in his chair to look through his sweet wife's Adventure Book. As the page titled "stuff we are going to do" slides down, what he previously thought to be empty space was instead pages filled with pictures of him and his wife's many adventures together throughout the years. On the last page, Ellie wrote, "Thanks for the adventure- now go have a new one!". It was at this point where Mr. Fredrickson's hardened heart was softened. It was in this moment where he was able to finally come to peace with the death of this sweetheart and decide to start a new chapter in his life.
Disney Pixar's Up is a heart-warming movie that perfectly exemplifies the importance of not dwelling on the past, because if you do, you will miss out on all the new and exciting adventures that surround you. Also, that it is important to make the most out of every situation we are given. Mr. Fredrickson was stubborn and did not yield to the constant change that was occurring in life around him once his wife died. He was miserable and wasn't willing to experience the new adventure that was out there. But once he came full circle and allowed Russell (aka change) into his life, he was able to experience the joy that life had to offer. He was able to find strength in the quiet moments of life- eating ice cream on the curb while counting how many blue and red cars passed by while spending time with people who matter the most.
Up is a wonderful film that can serve as an eye-opener to all of us. It is important for us to evaluate what we are focusing our time on. If we are stuck in the past, then maybe it is time to broaden our horizons and take up the spirit of adventure to see what adventure awaits us. Charles Muntz said it best, "Adventure is out there!". Now it is our duty to go out and explore.
½ December 7, 2017
Touching and sentimental. An exhilarating adventure of two very lovable characters. A must-see film for all ages.
December 3, 2017
I know this is a fan-favorite, but for me it was too damn sad. I couldn't cheer up from crying the first 15 minutes of the movie to enjoy any of the rest of it.
November 26, 2017
Yet another testament to the gold standard of animation that Pixar has been exuding for decades, Pete Docter's "Up" is a rousing, funny, and touching story of loss, letting go, and moving on, featuring that trademark animation that's as gorgeous as it'll ever be. Major props go to Michael Giacchino for quite possibly his best soundtrack work and a small, yet memorable cast of colorful characters that will tickle the more creative parts of anyone's imagination. Chock this one up as yet another film that I will come to regret seeing so late in my life.
½ November 25, 2017
Another original animated film from Pixar, with characters in the strong story pushing to where the sky is definitely not the limit.
November 19, 2017
"Up" is beautifully animated, sweet, funny and exciting. The very concept of it is brilliant, even if essentially it's about a fugitive grandpa endangering the entire American airspace. In all honesty, this badass old man and all the crazy incidents are one of the few creations of Pixar that feel a bit too much on the fairytale side. It soon becomes obvious though that "Up" has much more to say on a character level apart from the flying-house gimmick and that's what makes it resonate in the end.
½ November 17, 2017
An entertaining kids movie that teach us that is never late to follow your dreams.
November 12, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.5

Una película conmovedora, entrañable y divertida, que te hace apreciar lo valioso que es aprovechar cada momento con los seres que amas. Up tiene un poderoso mensaje sobre la vida misma. Un fim que toda persona tiene que ver.
½ October 27, 2017
Yet another one of my favorite Pixar movies! Up is another prime example of what a Pixar movie should be. From the first 10 minutes of the movie, to the very end of it, it is a very very exciting adventure with a few very specific tear-jerking moments, and a lot of funny moments as well. It gets a well deserved 9.5 out of 10. While not my favorite Pixar movie, it is indeed one of my favorites.
October 19, 2017
An exciting, funny, and poignant adventure movie with emotional depth!
September 30, 2017
One of Pixar's best films! So emotional.
September 21, 2017
Memorable and magical and I bawled my eyes out. Such a beautiful cartoon. Thank you Disney & Pixar.
½ September 19, 2017
Half a star. One of my most hated movies of all time. Depressing, bleak, boring, bizarre. Yet everyone seems to think it was great. I have alot of respect for Pixar, but this one came after Disney bought them and Steve was no longer in control. I get that life goes by fast, we don't get what we want, sometimes you lose your wife and your house, your heroes turn out to be evil, dogs get distracted. I get all of that, but all in one movie? Lord have mercy. Can I do less than half a star?
September 7, 2017
UP is often overlooked after its first 10 minutes, but the message about adventure and moving on definitely delivered with its colorful story and characters.
September 1, 2017
Amazing film! Certainly can be enjoyed and loved by both children and adults. One of Pixar's finest!
½ August 27, 2017
A classic family adventure that, while not with the coolest Pixar premise, is certainly filled with humor, action, visual delights and heartfelt story to make up for it.
½ August 14, 2017
Up is an enormous emotional roller coaster. It will make you joy, sorrow, and glee. all at full force. The first few minutes alone are incredible.
½ August 9, 2017
Chang Hyun Cho
UP (2009)
The particular scene and scenario in this movie make the movie UP famous animation in the world. It is directed at 2009 by Pete Docter and Bob Peterson. Both of them are popular with directing the various animation movies such as Toy story, Inside out, and the Good Dinosaur. The other animation movies usually made of comedy or adventures only. However, I believe this UP animation is one of the masterpieces in animation genre, because this one includes entertainment, impression, adventure, and also fun part. Also, it is important to understand happiness in our life in order to be happy.

Everyone is appropriate for this animated movie since it does not include any cruel scenes and at same time includes thing other than comedy or adventure. Therefore, there is no moment to bore while watching a movie because of the perfect blend of heart and humor in this animation movie. I agree that there is no boring moment while you are watching movie, because the blend of heart and humor makes this animation special compared to other animation movies.

Especially, the impression part in the movie is remarkable than other scenes that are adventure and fun parts. During the filming, Carl who is one of the main characters thinks that happiness is far away from him after separation from Ellie who has lived together for a lifetime. They live together with same dreams of going Paradise Falls for happiness, but Ellie dies before they adventure. Therefore, he leaves adventure himself by hanging thousands of balloons on the roof in order to find the happiness. However, there was an uninvited visitor to this great adventure, the explorer Russell who was Boy Scout. On their adventures, Carl overcomes many difficult situations along with Russell and his dream is accomplished, but he feels only vanity and understands real happiness.

Moreover, flying with balloons on the roof can be adventure but also romantic scene in this animation movie, because it is difficult to do actions like this even though this action is not real. Also, I believe it is romantic since Carl did these difficult actions just for Ellie whom is Carl's wife. Therefore, many people are enthusiastic and are deeply moved by this part of the movie. Also, I believe the audiences are able to focus on this animation movie that was the most interesting and entertaining compared to other animation movies since this one have various genres.

According to csmonitor review, "Up" is less visually exuberant than many of the other Pixar films. However, I could feel the sympathy of flying even though this movie is less visually exuberant than any other animation films. Rather, the less visually stunning thing seems to make this film more prominent. In rogerebert reviews, "Up" tells a story as tickling to the imagination as the magical animated films of my childhood, when I naively thought that because their colors were brighter, their character outlines more defined and their plots simpler, they were actually more realistic than regular films. My feelings on the issue are mixed. I understand that this movie is realistic than regular films, but I also think it artistic since it shows impractical scenes such as flying the house with just balloons and controlling the directions with wind.

I would like to watch it again next time and also recommend this animation movie to others. Many people experience at least one depression in their life. However, this animation movie called "Up" gives the audiences about the lesson that happiness is not far away from us. Therefore, it is possible to make people think of happiness once again. I admit it is important to know that the happiness is not far away from us before you are actually happy in your life. In addition, the reason why this animation movie is loved by audiences is because this film is the best analogy of life.