Up - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Up Reviews

½ January 22, 2017
Original, but predictable, with boring characters and a bad script.
January 21, 2017
One of my favorite PIXAR films. If you make me cry, and I feel like you earned those tears, then I'll follow you anywhere. I was crying before I had even gotten comfortable in my seat. The fact that my first Bear crush, Ed Asner, was in it certainly didn't hurt.
½ January 19, 2017
I have seen many better animations than this one. For me it was a disappointment.
January 17, 2017
At the time of this writing, Disney-Pixar's Up has received a 98% rating at Rotten Tomatoes. That means that 98% of the nation's movie critics have given it the "thumbs up." Such a high rating almost never happens.

That said, any movie, no matter how great, can be over-hyped, which can ruin the experience. For example, Ratatouille received such acclaim that my initial viewing of it was met with disappointment (though I appreciated it much, much more the second time around). So, in the interest of not raising the bar too high, I will simply say that Up continues Pixar's streak of excellence.

Combining poignant and profound themes with memorable characters and a contagious sense of adventure is par for the course for the group that brought us Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille, and Wall-E. What do all these films have in common? They effectively tap into our childlike sense of wonder while never insulting our intelligence or emotional maturity (or that of children, for that matter).

Likewise, Pixar makes the most visually stunning and sharply humorous films of anyone doing animation right now. In fact, they make some of the best films, period. Up is no exception, and it ranks particularly high on my Pixar list because it did something the others didn't. It made me cry. Twice. Up got me going, with a pair of wordless moments (one towards the beginning, the other towards the end) that drive home how precious of a gift our lives are, as well as the people in them.

Don't worry, though, the movie is more of an adventure-comedy than a tearjerker. It simply has a beating heart, as the best adventures (and often the best comedies) do. It's thrilling. It's funny. For some reason I felt it dragged very slightly in the middle before kicking into high gear for the third act, but that's a minor complaint for something so thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. Oh, by the way, I wanted to take Doug (the dog) home with me. You will too. MY GRADE: A.
January 11, 2017
Honestly my favorite Pixar movie of all time
January 7, 2017
Highly entertaining and beautifully animated action adventure story about an old man, a young boy, a weird bird named Kevin and a talking dog named Doug. One of Disney/Pixars best, and that's saying a lot considering how many there are to choose from now!
½ January 7, 2017
Still not seen it yet!
January 4, 2017
My favorite Pixar movie. I can see why it has such great reviews.
December 28, 2016
Beautiful movie with a lot of heart and adventure! Perfect.
December 27, 2016
Yes, the first ten minutes are the saddest you'll ever see in your life, but the rest of the movie is better than everyone else makes it out to be, with stellar animation, memorable characters, and an engaging, emotional story. Best Pixar movie ever!
½ December 27, 2016
Desses filmes bem realizados em todos os níveis, que te fazem chorar já na entrada, com personagens genuinamente carismáticos e um visual de descolar a retina.
December 25, 2016
Where most movies have an emotional climax, Up brings you in tears after 10 minutes. The best introduction of all animated movies, hands down. After that, the story doesn't quite match the emotional level of the prelude, but it's still entertaining.
December 12, 2016
Una gran película, bastante conmovedora al principio y bastante divertida y entretenida el resto de la película.
December 10, 2016
Wow to be quite honest this is my favorite Pixar movie a walk one of my favorite Pixar movies it's written perfectly and still hilarious to this day
½ December 6, 2016
Not enough to be one of my Pixar favorites..
December 5, 2016
Another amazing Pixar adventure that delivers as much humor and excitement for adults as it does for children. Carl is a crabby recluse who, when pressured by builders, refuses to leave his home which is filled with memories of his life. Carl uses his knowledge as a career balloon salesman to lift the house into the sky, never realizing the perils ahead. As with most Pixar films the remarkable animation, vivid color palette and attention to detail make these characters lively, personable and funny while never pandering to the audience. A well-written, beautifully realized story about personal dreams and their evolution (even the ones that don't come true).
December 3, 2016
Up isn't just the best animated story but it is one of the greatest films of all time. Backed by a lush and heartbreaking score and one of the most powerful art forms of a prelude, the story touches upon the beautiful and terrifying life themes of love, romance, adventure, violence, death, and family all in one rousing piece of cinema.
November 30, 2016
This one moved me in so many ways I forgot it was an animation
November 24, 2016
This one tickes all the boxes. It's a great movie.
½ November 19, 2016
This movie was amazing! Like Cars 2, it has guns, explosions, peril, and bombs! Except the rating is PG